Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 24 »

Re: Forget Taqueria!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I've been a repeat customer at Taqueria Downtown for the past year-and-a-half. It was a nice, simple relationship, they prepared delicious tacos which I then purchased and ate. That was then.

Two weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon I called to place an order. No answer. Called again a bit later. No answer. Hmmm, I knew they were open and I was jonesin' for carnitas, so it wasn't a big deal to walk a couple blocks and order. But why no answer? According to the proprietor, "We don't answer the phone when we're too busy." Oh.

I can certainly appreciate when an establishment is literally too busy, but 20 patrons seated in a restaurant with half of its tables empty doesn't seem to qualify in my experience. But what do I know--I don't operate a restaurant so they basically get the benefit of the doubt.

Last Sunday evening the story was different but still frustrating. We went as a group of four but we were sent away because, said the proprietor, "We're only doing take-out orders now." Again, people were seated but there were plenty of empty tables left.

Instead we went to Grand Sichuan where there were no open tables, but were treated like welcome guests and seated in a few minutes. Y'know, just like in a typical restaurant!

I still haven't experienced the alleged "attitude," just a pair of otherwise friendly restauranteurs who apparently don't want to be hassled with customers, especially when closing time is approaching. Too bad for me I guess, but I'm done being one of their repeat customers.

So it's off to Bayonne I guess :)

You say that you "still haven't experienced the alleged 'attitude'" at Taqueria Downtown, but from these experiences you've shared, it sounds like you already have!

Posted on: 2008/8/6 4:36

Re: El Aguila Dorada Restarant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

di6 wrote:
As a matter of fact, I did ask our waitress for a take out menu. Enjoy!

Resized Image

note: their dine-in menu has more options

Thanks for posting the menu!

Posted on: 2008/8/6 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
I've been a repeat customer at Taqueria Downtown for the past year-and-a-half. It was a nice, simple relationship, they prepared delicious tacos which I then purchased and ate. That was then.

Two weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon I called to place an order. No answer. Called again a bit later. No answer. Hmmm, I knew they were open and I was jonesin' for carnitas, so it wasn't a big deal to walk a couple blocks and order. But why no answer? According to the proprietor, "We don't answer the phone when we're too busy." Oh.

I can certainly appreciate when an establishment is literally too busy, but 20 patrons seated in a restaurant with half of its tables empty doesn't seem to qualify in my experience. But what do I know--I don't operate a restaurant so they basically get the benefit of the doubt.

Last Sunday evening the story was different but still frustrating. We went as a group of four but we were sent away because, said the proprietor, "We're only doing take-out orders now." Again, people were seated but there were plenty of empty tables left.

Instead we went to Grand Sichuan where there were no open tables, but were treated like welcome guests and seated in a few minutes. Y'know, just like in a typical restaurant!

I still haven't experienced the alleged "attitude," just a pair of otherwise friendly restauranteurs who apparently don't want to be hassled with customers, especially when closing time is approaching. Too bad for me I guess, but I'm done being one of their repeat customers.

So it's off to Bayonne I guess :)

Posted on: 2008/8/5 19:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/24 13:43
Group:
Registered Users
As a matter of fact, I did ask our waitress for a take out menu. Enjoy!

Resized Image

note: their dine-in menu has more options

Posted on: 2008/7/31 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The food sounds great and the photos are making me HUNGRY!

Does this place have a website or an online menu somewhere?

It's time for a light rail trip -- wahoo!

Posted on: 2008/7/31 9:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Their quesadilla is big. It was like oversized tacos. It wasn't like flat pizza-like shape that I know quesadilla of...

I had a Pumpkin Flower quesadilla and they gave me over staffed three large ones. I couldn't finish them.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
^were the quesadillas small and flimsy (East LA / taqueria) or large and filling (qdoba)? i'm always scared to try them anywhere i go since i always leave unsatisfied/hungry unless it's from qdoba

Posted on: 2008/7/30 21:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/24 21:00
Group:
Registered Users
I went there for lunch today. I ordered a mix of quesadillas (chicken, pumpkin, and cheese) to go. It cost $8.00 and was DELICIOUS!! I will be returning.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i might hit this up before class today.....sounds good :)

Posted on: 2008/7/28 13:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Woo-hoo!

I am so glad to know that thare are quite a few JClisters checked out and supported the restaurant already!!

I almost went back yesterday, but gave up since it started T-storming....

I suppose I drew more attnetion to this thread by using the word "Taqueria"... Hehehe

Posted on: 2008/7/28 13:30

El Aguila Dorada Restarant

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/24 13:43
Group:
Registered Users
El Aguila Dorada Restaurant
Typica Comida Mexicana

830 Broadway (Corner of E38th and Broadway)
Bayonne, NJ 201-858-0033

Resized Image
Clockwise from top: Beef burrito with guacamole, tomato, onions & shredded lettuce; Condiments: Guacamole, Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, Salsa;
Sizzling shrimp with tomatoes, onions and peppers; Sides: Refried beans and yellow rice; Warmed fajita basket; Imported Mexican Coca-cola

Thank you for recommending this restaurant! We had a fantastic dinner!

Posted on: 2008/7/28 12:30

Re: THANK YOU!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
ilikeglass - the seafood store (Scudder's) is corner of 22nd St and Ave C in Bayonne.

There is a 22nd St Light Rail Station in Bayonne, but you will have a two long-block hike from Ave E to C.

Might be worth it, particularly if you're also planning to pick up some Polish food from Henry's Deli which is 2 doors down from Scudder's.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 21:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
The Mexican place is called Acapulco... Really, really nice food and worth a drive/lightrail ride to Bayonne. Thanks to injc... for the tips about Italian and Polish places and seafood.

Incidentally, I think the folks from Buon Appetito (sp?) opened a sister restaurant on Grove Street - we had their pizza the other night and it was good, better than Carmine's in my opinion.

And Sava's is excellent for Polish food and they do sell some kielbasa. So just go to Bayonne to get some tacos sans attitude!!

Posted on: 2008/7/27 19:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/27 22:26
Group:
Banned
You get off at the 34th street station. Then walk one block up to Broadway and then walk 4 blocks to 38th street. The place is on the corner...you can't miss it.

The seafood place is a walk... from there. You would have to get back on the lightrail and get off at the 22nd street station...then walk up to Avenue C which is about 3 or 4 blocks...the store itself is right across from a large auto repair shop.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 0:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
What literail stop would I go to for the Mexican food? Would the seafood place be in walking distance? Only been to Bayonne once, but its time for a little adventure.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
Good find, I'll give it a try if I'm ever lost in Bayonne (which you never want to be!).

Not sure if I agree (about the being lost part), but do give them a try...

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Good find, I'll give it a try if I'm ever lost in Bayonne (which you never want to be!).

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
damn, now i feel like driving into bayonne

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
scooter - hopefully we won't be yanked for being OT, but if we are, just send me a PM, and we'll continue.

For Italian in Bayonne, I do Buon Appettito Salumeria on Broadway. Super-friendly folks (the business was sold about 5-7 years ago; the old owners used to take me to Bayonne italian social clubs to watch euro soccer - it was something else...).

For Polish, I go to Henry's Deli on 22nd/C - you can't go wrong with kielbasa for the grill, as well as other goodies.

For hearty soups in winter, go to Warsaw Deli on B-way.

For seafood (I am a seafood freak; I only tolerate super-FRESH seafood), go to Scudder's in Bayonne (corner 22nd and C). If you go, ask them what's fresh (tell the Portuguese fish-monger that the Polish guy sent you) - chances are you'll get the freshest stuff in Hudson County.

Let's patronize small businesses like these, folks.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
injcsince81, what are the italian and seafood places in Bayonne you like? In 3 years, we've never been down there other than to see it whiz by from rt. 78 - so we're thinking of taking a drive down there one of these days...

(hopefully this won't getting yanked for of-topic - so... TaqueriaTaqueriaTaqueria...)

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:22
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
What is the place's name and exact address?

I am in Bayonne every week shopping for seafood, Italian and Polish food and would not mind one bit picking up some Mex goodies.

Btw - judging from this thread and my experience, in all the above four food categories Bayonne may may be kicking JC a$$.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:51

THANK YOU!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
For your perfect timing. I had to go to Bayonne today and saw this post before I left. I just ate some of the MOST AMAZING TACOS I have ever eaten. This place is a GEM! 10x more "authentic" than the Taqueria, 3x more filling on your tacos, much, much fresher, and for the LOVE OF GOD, GUACAMOLE!!!! It has a wonderful, friendly, family atmosphere, with super sweet people running the place. There is no pretentiousness whatsoever. They even have a small grocery selection of Mexican imports. Above all, the FLAVOR of their food is absolutely divine--a perfect blend of spices and fresh ingredients.

This is my new favorite Mexican place! I just wish they'd move to Grove St.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh was it on 38th?
My apology...

So look for the school and QuickCheck. You won't miss it.

I heard that they have stuff not on the menu too....

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/12 13:06
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
For what it's worth, I love Taqueria. Not sure about the "attitude" you experienced - we've only ever had great service and friendly treatment there. I also think the food is great (particularly the barbacoa [lamb] tacos) - always fresh, always delicious, and my wife and I can stuff ourselves without cracking $25 for the both of us, including a couple of Tecates. Glad to hear about another good Mexican place, though, even if it is in Bayonne.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:36

Forget Taqueria!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is not about Jersey City, but I found this great Mexican joint in Bayonne.
It is a good news for those who hate the attitude and mediocre food from Taqueria but resort going there since there's no choice.

I don't remember the name of the restaurant but it's on on East 36 st on Broadway. Right across the street from QuickCheck.

The food was sooo good! It is more authentic than anything I have ever tried before. Their tortilla was big and nicely prepared, not like Taqueria's sorry doughy one. They make fresh guacamole cook to order.( I don't care how "not" authentic guac is, but I love my chips with guacamole!!). Portion was so generous. They serve free chips and salsa.... I can go on but I shouldn't. I let you guys be the judge. Oh but one last (and best) thing.They serve "Pumpkin Flower" quesadilla. Something I could only find in NY. PHENOMENAL!!

Service was very friendly, but not overly done. It's tiny place but nicely kept.

I was riding my bike to the bike shop down the street and accidentally found this joint. What a Gem!

It is a walk distance from Light Rail station. If you crave for a good Mexican food, it's worth a trip!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 13:19

Re: Taqueria
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
I see this as being very simple issue. More smiles = more money... without being overeager for tips.

Most posters enjoy the food at Taqueria. Some contrarians argue for a different definition of authenticity: Bergenline Avenue, etc.

Many posters either observed, noted, are turned off by, or stay away because of the attitude of some staff at Taqueria. The most frequent target of their frustation is the tall, curt Frenchman. I enjoy the food enough to put up with the 2 minutes of unpleasantness in dealing with the counter service.

While I've never had poor service, I've almost always experienced some attitude from their staff. And as I'm from New Jersey, I can also be tough, surly, prickish, selfish, and rude. I know tough attitudes, and I'm not saddened or moved by them. It's just the reality here... and it may be noteworthy that most of their staff are *not* Jersey tough: They're either Euro or CA rude.

The point: If Taqueria wants MORE of my money, they'll endeavor to become more pleasant business owners. It's not a public service their running; it's a business. The 80/20 rule may suggest that eighty percent of their sales (profits?) come from twenty percent of their customers... but that also allows for them to *expand* their group of steady, repeat customers by making marginal changes in the climate of the place while maintaining their consistently good food. The 80/20 rule may still work... and they'll simply have a *larger* pool of repeaters (the 20), and a larger pool of sometimers (the 80).

Why do I say that this volume can change? Because this neighborhood is changing so much, and because SOME of us sometimes stay away *because* of the moodiness... but would be dining there more frequently if we actually felt welcome, and not condescended to.

P.S. At present, only the bussers get my (generous) tips. The counter staff haven't really earned any.

P.P.S. My preferred BYO restaurant takes the opposite tack. Madame Claude's is often relaxed, friendly, slow, and welcoming... perhaps to a fault. Their prices are adjusted for that decreased volume.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 7:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I've never had any problems with the staff, though I can see sometimes how they might rub customers the wrong way. For me it's pretty straightforward: I give them money, they give me food. I'm not looking to be best buds or coddled, but they're usually pretty friendly with me. My only complaint recently is that they can get so packed on weekend evenings that the food takes awhile to arrive and the counter area is chaotic. I'm not an expert on Mexican food, so I can't really comment on how "authentic" they are. But imho, they are the best tacos in the 'hood.

If anyone ever goes to Red Bank, I highly recommend a joint called Juanitos on Monmouth Street, near the intersection of West. There's a restaurant and bodega, both named Juanito's, at that intersection. The restaurant is OK (strictly for the gringos). I highly recommend the bodega (across Monmouth St. from the restaurant), where there's a takeout counter at the back. Amazing food and incredibly cheap, too. If you don't speak Spanish, ordering can be a struggle, but hey, that's part of the experience/adventure.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 20:24

Re: Taqueria. You can have it.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
huh - I stopped going after trying it once or twice because of the blandness factor, but now I want to go back just to be amused by the attitude. They sound like the soup nazi - "No Tacos for You!!"

Posted on: 2008/7/7 20:02
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Re: Taqueria. You can have it.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
Right on Braxton! But better hope Phil or his little minion (the surly bald buy with the glasses) don't find out you mentioned anything about the authenticity of the food, or Phil will rip you a new one like he did me. I haven't been back to that place in over a year, and I don't miss it because as others have mentioned there is equally as good if not better food with nicer people dishing it up to be found all over the place.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 19:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
I have never experienced any "surly attitude" or bad vibes from anyone at taqueria. The food there is delicious, fresh, and cheap, and I'll keep giving them my business as long as its stays that way

Posted on: 2008/7/7 19:52

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 24 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017