Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Only in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
Last 2 times I mailed in checks the memo said "parking pigs."

Be careful! All jokes aside I paid bail last night for contempt of court. Mine didn't say anything, just had drawings of penises next to the name of the parking pig and a hairy assh*le on the back of the envelope.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Last 2 times I mailed in checks the memo said "parking pigs."

Posted on: 2009/11/5 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
I got a warrant for an arrest for drawing penises and hairy butts on the check I sent for my ticket. Don't draw funny genitals on your correspondence with the municipalities.

Hilarious!

Next time, just write, "sexual favors" in the memo.

I've come up with a better plan for next time because I doubt that they check each ticket for traces of human/cat waste.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
I got a warrant for an arrest for drawing penises and hairy butts on the check I sent for my ticket. Don't draw funny genitals on your correspondence with the municipalities.

Hilarious!

Next time, just write, "sexual favors" in the memo.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 13:00

Re: Is being ignorant a requirement to work for the JC Parking Authority?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
I got a parking ticket yesterday and deserved it. Yeah, it sucked but I was inside of a business for about 5 minutes, came out, and there it was. No problem, I'll pay it.

I was just beyond the "No Parking" ==> arrow sign and there was no place to park, but I figured a few minutes is fine and was wrong.

What upsets me is that the other three corners had cars parked into the crosswalk and not one was issued a ticket. I was no where near the crosswalk.

Unfair? Yes. Surprising? No. I didn't check to see if there was a subtle hint (shield, crossing guard hat, or FOUO signs) that the owners of the other vehicles were city employees.

It has come to dealing with rotten, inconsistent, or selective enforcement from this city. Had the other three cars had tickets on their windshields I would have thought that someone was just doing their job. Instead, it was another city employee just being a di-ck.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Even though the people who work for the Parking Authority are dopes who got their jobs because they know some other dope in the city, the real problem is not them. The ones to blame are Mayor Healy and the rest of his cronies on the city council who continue to allow booting on the first offense. They use it as a source or revenue for the city. If you are pissed off about getting booted, be sure to vote in the next municipal electiion and give those resposible for this nonsense the boot.

btw: I was booted in Hoboken a few months ago, and I actually got an e-mail the other day from the booting company asking me about how the service was. Insane.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 11:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ladybert wrote:
the best part about getting a 1st time offense boot in this city is they act like they act like they did you a favor because they didn't tow it. "the sign says 'tow away zone', so really the boot isn't that bad." screw that. boot is still $150.
Except for when they boot it AND tow it. Which happened to me my first month here. Apparently they boot it, and if you don't get the boot removed in 24 hours they tow it also??? And since there wasn't street cleaning I had no reason to move my car.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 6:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
Quote:
i'm sure you get the point, but what kind of a moron boots a car in front of a FIRE HYDRANT?!?!?!

is there ANYTHING more counter productive? i may start a fire to just to prove a point.

Trust me, if there's a fire the fire department will use any means necessary to get to the hydrant, including breaking windows and denting/destroying the car.

Walked by the car at that intersection around 9pm today... boot is still there. Couldn't they have just had the car towed in an instance like that? Would have been a bigger kickback to the Parking Authority. They're not even good at screwing people over. I guess that ignorance goes with the territory.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 5:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
The city is broken down into "parking zones" and there are exceptions to the rules regarding parking zones 3 and 8. Were you parked in either of these zones?

Find out if the area you were parked in falls under either of these (one is the area around the college, but I'm not sure which).

Posted on: 2009/11/5 2:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/15 20:06
Group:
Registered Users
I got booted a couple of weeks back down across from the trump condo building (on the same side of the street there is NO ZONE and open parking) and on the south side of the street it's reserved. I got this boot five days after getting my car. No tickets BECAUSE I JUST GOT A CAR. Sorry, didn't quite understand all of the parking rules but I'm well versed.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
I don't want to read the entire thread here, so forgive me. I just have to ask this: is the parking authority STILL booting cars for people (with the exception of the 2 exempt zones - one of which is by Jersey City University and the other is an area of downtown) who do not have 2 or more outstanding unpaid tickets??

There is no ordinance supporting them doing this.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 1:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
c'mon... it's a dead horse. fact of the matter is that anybody who was ever "connected" is going to get a pass, and that the parking enforcement is a major moneymaker for the city.

of course it's also a well established truth, that meter maids eat their young.

my favorite thing is going to traffic court. if you want to see the strong-arm tactics of the city in action, there's the place to be.

the special ingredient is "surcharge" where you lie about the incident to the judge (on guidance of the prosecutor) and they let you modify points. low court fee, low infraction fee, MASSIVE surcharge.

i know of plea bargaining and such, but this is simply robbery on the sliding scale and fueled by the fear of insurance hikes.

Yay!!!

Posted on: 2009/11/5 0:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
The worst part is that the person who used to do the booting for the parking authority (supposedly retired now) parks illegally every single weekend at the end of Warren Street under the sign that says "no parking any time" so he can go fishing. I actually saw one of those little carts drive right past his car and do nothing. So I stopped him and told him that its favoritism and that I can't afford to park my car in JC, why should this guy get to park there for free? He said he "wasn't hurting anyone," and drove away.

Its a maroon four door little sedan that's seen better days - just in case anybody at the authority cares to do a damn thing about it....

Posted on: 2009/11/5 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
i'm sure you get the point, but what kind of a moron boots a car in front of a FIRE HYDRANT?!?!?!

is there ANYTHING more counter productive? i may start a fire to just to prove a point.

Trust me, if there's a fire the fire department will use any means necessary to get to the hydrant, including breaking windows and denting/destroying the car.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/11/5 0:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/27 7:10
Group:
Banned
bottom line here:

A MORON WHO BOOTS CARS BOOTED A CAR IN FRONT OF A FIRE HYDRANT.

what more needs to be said?

Posted on: 2009/11/4 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
I got caught in this loop one day (a while back):

Ticket + Boot in same day (no outstanding tickets)

Take cab to go to pay for Boot. Couldn't pay for Boot because they had also given me a ticket

Try to pay for both. Can they do both? Nope. Ticket must be paid online or over phone or at courthouse.

Can I use their computer there to pay online? Nope.

Get cab, go home, pay ticket. Call back, can I pay for the Boot online too? Nope.

Can I pay by phone? nope.

Can I pay the guy when he comes to unboot my car? nope.

Take cab back to pay. And then something screwy with the payment, I can't remember what but something ridiculous like they only took cash or money order but not check or credit card.

Absolutely brilliant that the one thing that should definitely be available online or over the phone, paying for a boot on your car that prevents you from driving to pay, is in person only. Never mind the fact that I was booted on a first offense for street sweeping.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
One time I got booted when I parked in the reserved zone over by the library. I ran across the street to get stamps and was gone not more than 5 minutes. I came out and my car was booted. I was so pissed. The Parking Authority nazis can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 20:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/15 20:06
Group:
Registered Users
He has not been able to get this changed. The Council would not bring it up to a vote. Trust me, I got booted in a reserved space two days after getting my car (my fault for not getting a complete understanding of how my zone pass worked, but its not like they give you an actual map or a guidebook) and never having received a ticket in New Jersey. Oh, and I'm still fighting them over some improper tickets on Morgan St. Such a good time.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dewelch wrote:

yeah, jersey city is the harshest parking city i've ever been in. they once had 4 hour zones, cut them to 2, and started booting first time offenders. this city treats many of its wealthier residents like crap. you can park anywhere you want in the worse off neighborhoods.

That means they would park from 1pm on or not move the vehicle till noon. 2 hour zoned parking is better.
What does the level of tax bracket have to do with the booting?
The fire dept. has to dodge lots of junk thrown at them in these worse off neighborhoods can you imagine the parking authority running around on foot or on those little scooters in these run down impovished communities they could get killed then who would we have to give out parking tickets. Besides the folks that live in the bad sections that get tickets in the good sections would have sour feelings towards the parking authority so have the ticket givers stay away. By going easy in the "bad" neighborhoods their business districts survive and the wealthy neighborhoods as you stated have the means and ethics to pay off these crazy unjust tickets.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
the best part about getting a 1st time offense boot in this city is they act like they act like they did you a favor because they didn't tow it. "the sign says 'tow away zone', so really the boot isn't that bad." screw that. boot is still $150.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 19:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

yeah, jersey city is the harshest parking city i've ever been in. they once had 4 hour zones, cut them to 2, and started booting first time offenders. this city treats many of its wealthier residents like crap. you can park anywhere you want in the worse off neighborhoods.

you have to pay to have a friend visit with parking permits, which of course, are a pain in the butt to get because you have to goto the heights to retrieve them. nothing is easy here. hoboken has easier parking, and less of it.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Boots in JC aren't about scofflaws like most places, they're simply about extortion since the policy was of booting 1st time offenders with no outstanding tickets. Supposedly Steve Fulop has gotten that changed, since it was apparently illegal, but I wonder if this car had any outstanding tickets or not.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 18:47

Only in Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I decided to sign up to this forum based on this photo I took today.

Only in Jersey City would a boot be put on a car in this location. I checked the tickets, and the reason was surely, "parked in an illegal zone."

http://docs.google.com/present/edit?i ... NjdfMTY4Z2N4cXNuZzU&hl=en

btw, the location is 5th and Erie, in case someone responsible wants to reprimand the moron who booted the car. better solution would be to raise the ticket fine for cars parked in such spots.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Well I think its fair to say that this thread has completely gotten away from the topic at hand and somehow dissolved into the classic "private sector employees are hard working and government employees aren't" argument which permeates many more discussion boards all over the WWW, bars, parks and dining room tables.

I really don't have any opinion about that, but I thought I'd maybe get this thread back on what it was supposed to be about by bring back another issue that sort of deals with both discussions here (unfairness/inconsistency of JCPA policies & government employees not doing their jobs):

private sector companies doing government jobs.

Namely, Paylock, the Somerville-based company that gets a cut of that $110 everytime someone calls to have the boot removed from their car.

How many cars get booted a day in Jersey City, so we can get a rough estimate of how money Paylock is making from it, and why they have every incentive to see as many cars as possible get booted?

I would guess that they see at least $55 (half) of every $110 paid to remove a boot.

Anyone else care to offer an opinion?

Posted on: 2008/7/31 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:

JC gov't is a "for profit" organization, almost everyone from the mayor on down are filling their pockets with whatever they can grab and don't forget all the people in office with multiple jobs and multiple paychecks/retirement funds.

I agree. It is a classic example of corruption at every level. When the corruption at the top is so extreme, at each level people naturally become more corrupt. Both due to individuals choosing a path of greater corruption, and more corruptible individuals being chosen.

It's similar to some of the worst companies I have worked for. When you see the CEO steal a million dollars in cash at a time, and the head of IT steal pallets full of laptops, of course you're going to steal office supplies by the carload.

Of course Jersey City brings it to a new extreme. I have been amazed at how no government service operates properly in Jersey City. I have further been amazed at the extreme level of impropriety involved.

I feel like we are worse off than in third world countries I have visited, where every individual has an ability to benefit from the corruption. Here if you do not have the right connections, you are a permanent victim.

I must disagree. I'm going on 6 years this February working in government, prior to that I spent 20 years in private sector where I was considered in the top of my field. My work ethics today are the same as they were.. 10, 15 years ago. I am a perfectionist when it comes to any work I do and nothing has changed for me, except I work 1/2 the hours. I will not leave until my work is done and where I work... projects are given with a yesterday deadline. I've taken work home on a weekend and no.. I don't get overtime or comp. days for it. This is who I am and I will have the same standards anywhere I'm employed.

We have discussed this on another thread and one huge thing (IMO) that is lacking is employee reviews. I come from a world that I reviewed my team and yearly they reviewed me as a manager. I am a huge believer in accountability; performance and motivation. There are so many hard working people , who care about Jersey City. Maybe they are not front line and center but they do exist in government.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:

JC gov't is a "for profit" organization, almost everyone from the mayor on down are filling their pockets with whatever they can grab and don't forget all the people in office with multiple jobs and multiple paychecks/retirement funds.

I agree. It is a classic example of corruption at every level. When the corruption at the top is so extreme, at each level people naturally become more corrupt. Both due to individuals choosing a path of greater corruption, and more corruptible individuals being chosen.

It's similar to some of the worst companies I have worked for. When you see the CEO steal a million dollars in cash at a time, and the head of IT steal pallets full of laptops, of course you're going to steal office supplies by the carload.

Of course Jersey City brings it to a new extreme. I have been amazed at how no government service operates properly in Jersey City. I have further been amazed at the extreme level of impropriety involved.

I feel like we are worse off than in third world countries I have visited, where every individual has an ability to benefit from the corruption. Here if you do not have the right connections, you are a permanent victim.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vanitasboy wrote:
I agree that there are people in goverment who get it, who understand that they are the face of govt. and go to work everyday with the attitude of "what can I do today to help my city". Unfortunately, it seems that those people are always squirled away somewhere so they are invisable. It is almost as though they "put a bad face" on the lazy people in are so pervasive in govt. In the private sector, you want to put the "can do" people out front. But in the govt. sector, those people are kept in the background because they cause to much work to be done. I almost think that a govt. should be run as a "for profit" organization.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 13:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/4 20:10
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that there are people in goverment who get it, who understand that they are the face of govt. and go to work everyday with the attitude of "what can I do today to help my city". Unfortunately, it seems that those people are always squirled away somewhere so they are invisable. It is almost as though they "put a bad face" on the lazy people in are so pervasive in govt. In the private sector, you want to put the "can do" people out front. But in the govt. sector, those people are kept in the background because they cause to much work to be done. I almost think that a govt. should be run as a "for profit" organization.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
I've worked for government on various levels and I disagree Dan. Government employees who are inept, ignorant, and ineffective, among other things are that way because of who they are. It is not because of their "rotating politically appointed directors". They have no sense of civic duty and lack any professionalism. They are there just to collect a check and that is it. And a lot of those employees have been there for their entire career and will not change. And then there are those employees who like to exert the authority that they don't have. There is never a reason to be be rude, condescending, or insulting, but these employees feel that is there prerogative and duty to act this way. How utterly disgraceful!

Maybe what Dan was trying to say is that under more professional leadership clowns like these would never have been hired.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 1:25

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017