Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: The Junction Area..White Girl wants to buy.. everyone says I am crazy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
And when they were built and the first two decades of their life they were both touted as being on MONTGOMERY STREET!

(I had to scratch my head when I saw the Marin Boulevard address but realized the long side of one of the buildings IS on Marin, which was and in parts still IS, of course, Henderson.)

The apartment I looked at in 1970 was in the East tower facing East with a SPECTACULAR unobstructed view of the entire Hudson. I guess that view has long since been obliterated by the gazillion towers at Exchange Place.

Posted on: 2008/7/28 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
I've been living in Metropolis Towers for nearly three years, but I rent. The financial setup for owners is really confusing. As I understand it the major cause for the initial decline was that the co-op arrangement didn't include a clause that forced people to pay maintenance fees, so people stopped paying them and they ran out of cash.

There are now TWO management companies running the buildings, ALMA and Metrovest. My apartment got sold from the latter to the former, but the only thing that changed is where I mail my rent check.

I like it here. Sure, there's an occasional bug and the building's exterior is outrageously ugly, but the rentals were nicely renovated a few years ago (they're nicer than the co-ops, from what I understand), I have a huge amount of space and a harbor view. And you can't beat the location.

Still funny to me: The Gregory on Henderson Street = Metropolis Towers on Marin Blvd.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
The buildings now referred to as "Metropolis Towers" were fromerly named GREGORY PARK.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
METROPOLIS TOWERS, eh.
Had to look that up and lo and behold it was the first complex I looked at in Jersey City a LONG time ago. At the time they were almost new and called GREGORY TOWERS...rentals.
They were GORGEOUS and LARGE and had an amenity I liked a lot, central heat and hot water.
I even remeber the 1970 rents: $197 for a mid level sudio (large) and $228 or $248 for a one bedroom.

I opted for something cheaper but 4 rooms/hardwood floors/EIK in the heights but kept an eye on the history of the Gregory as they went through the two SERIOUS recession of the 1970's and a slow but steady decline.

They went bankrupt and were taken over by HUD and slowly run into the ground. HUD then tried to divest and sold the building to the tenants as a cooperative at a VERY low price and set up a sort of Mitchell Lama setup where coopters could get back only the low amount they paid.. THe decline continued becasue there were a lot who chose not to buy in an remain as rent-controlled tenants. The co-op board rented to anyone in an effort to get rent and the decline continued with crime vermin. People who COULD got the Hell out .

The co-op went bankrupt AGAIN and HUD took all the empties all over AGAIN. And the decline continued.

Then HUD bailed out again and sold to Metrovest who rented out the vqacancies and manages the building. I guess METROVEST callit the METROPOLITAN.

Now the old co-opters who are still hanging in there can sell at market and I'm sure many have made a killing. But from what I read the place is a vermin infested hellhole with a miserable management company.

I'm sure had I moved in there in 1970, I'd have had a book in me by now. The place has sure undergone lots of changes.

Oh, yeah...the place housed the only gay bar downtown for at LEAST a decade...seedy rought trade crowd and their queenly admirers! (All the guides said AYOR! )

Posted on: 2008/7/27 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

Because that would be SEXIST!

Let's give this girl a break.

Oh my god! Basically we should all communicate in sign language. Then everyone will still be offended. Who the hell cares. Everyone is so damn pc. What everyone really needs is a hobby. But then I'm sure that would be racist, sexist, communist, etc etc. Let's get back to worrying about basketball courts in hamilton park. Now that's time well spent!

Posted on: 2008/7/26 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:
I had to laugh when you said under $400,000. That is over double what I can afford. It is crazy! My friend lives on Bentley near Bergen and has section 8. She pays $10 a month. I am a Jersey City school teacher and I cannot afford to live in the city I grew up in. I am not complaining. I am just stating a fact. It seems you have to be upper middle class to very wealthy or really poor to live here. McNair or as I call it Academic use to be located on the corner of Bergen and Bentley when I attended.

I suggest talking to your boss/union representative as teachers, firefighters, and police men get first dibs on foreclosed properties! You probably wont even have to compete with realtors and you could get a nice property with parking. Right now its the perfect time to buy a foreclosed property. For you I would recommend the Lincoln Park area as that is the most up and coming area of the city and you wont be the only "white girl" around there.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:
I had to laugh when you said under $400,000. That is over double what I can afford. It is crazy! My friend lives on Bentley near Bergen and has section 8. She pays $10 a month. I am a Jersey City school teacher and I cannot afford to live in the city I grew up in. I am not complaining. I am just stating a fact. It seems you have to be upper middle class to very wealthy or really poor to live here. McNair or as I call it Academic use to be located on the corner of Bergen and Bentley when I attended.

Yes, but that was the penthouse with 3/4 bedrooms.

A 1300 sq ft 2bd condo is about 250. and there is also one bedrooms for under 200. They are renovating each one and they go on the market when completed. They also sell them as/is.Here is the link....http://www.journalsquarecondos.com/Home

I lived in jsq for a few years recently, the area close to path and slight north near the saint pauls ave/indian street is ok. But i would not go far out from there, it's not much better than junction area. It was really surprising the first time, when i walked maybe 7 blocks south to that area with the big cemetary for an investment property at night, that area sucked.

NLB, do you need a big place? If not why dont you look at those properties within your price range which i assume is around 200-300k?

1) 201, 225 saint pauls ave, 10 huron ave. A very decent sized 1BR nowdays go for 250k

2) the coops downtown at 135 montgemery street, a smaller 1BR there goes for 270K

3) the walkup brownstones by grove PATH, price varies more but you can buy a decent sized 1BR there for 250-300K

4) 100 manhattan ave, in the heights with the lightrail station very close by. A very decent sized 1BR there is also around 230k

5) And if you dont mind driving every day, check out society hills (just google society hills + jersey city). The area sucks, but the development is inside a safe gated community. So you will basically live in a nice bubble, but benefit is you can get a much bigger place + parking for the same price as above.

All are much better alternatives than buying into the craphole around communipaw ave.

EDIT: i would still recommend renting instead of buying at current market condition, just had to plug that in

Posted on: 2008/7/25 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:

Yes, but that was the penthouse with 3/4 bedrooms.

A 1300 sq ft 2bd condo is about 250. and there is also one bedrooms for under 200. They are renovating each one and they go on the market when completed. They also sell them as/is.Here is the link....http://www.journalsquarecondos.com/Home

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/24 21:00
Group:
Registered Users
I would walk down Bentley during lunch and see those beautiful homes.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
There buildings on Kensington just went condo. We looked at one that was 2400sq. feet and under 400,000.The only problem was no parking offered.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I love the homes on Bentley and Gifford between the Blvd and West Side. I always did. Nonetheless, I cannot afford those properties. I considered the condos on Harrison but the parking in that area is terrible, so I decided against it.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:
I have been reading these boards for over two years and this topic was my first post. Thanks again for the feedback!

Okay,as a single female...I love my new area. (I lived in HP for close to 12ish+ years) I now live on the Westside (Lincoln Park) and love it. Clean, quiet, I have a big place,my own parking and I'm steps away from a beautiful 100+ acre park. I don't have any first hand knowledge of living in/by the Junction area so, it would be unfair to make an opinion without any solid facts.

Whatever you do....best of luck!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been reading these boards for over two years and this topic was my first post. Thanks again for the feedback!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This forum has not been the only factor in my decision to not buy. I pass the property every morning on my way to work, at lunch, after work and quite a few times at different hours of the night.

For clarification purposes, I am NOT new to Jersey City. I was born and raised in downtown, but know all of the other areas. I have been out of Jersey City for 8 years, but I work there.

I posted on this board because Jersey City natives view Jersey City differently. The Junction is not an area any of them would advise me to live in. They think I am crazy to suggest it. This is a different forum. I wanted an unbiased view of the neighborhood. I wanted to hear from people who did not grow up here and their thoughts on the area. In my opinion, this area only improved about 1% since about 1982 when I was 7 and Brummer's, the ice cream shop that my sister and I went to after getting a good report card, closed. In my gut, I knew I could not live there, but I was hoping many of you would see things differently and convince me otherwise. That was not the case and it confirmed my decision as being the right one.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:
Thank you all for your comments. I do not think I will do it.

Feedback from anonymous users on an internet message board is the most logical basis upon which to make important life decisions.

You are *really* a fun person, Sal/NON.

Oops, I mean a condescending piece of shite.

I'm starting to get the impression that my posts bother you, injc.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:

Feedback from anonymous users on an internet message board is the most logical basis upon which to make important life decisions.

Come on injc81...your halo is rusty too!
You've never held back your opinions, why is it fine for you and not him/her?...just something to think about.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/7/25 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Girlfriend, don't do it!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not saying the Heights is perfect, neither is downtown for that matter. But it is a heck of a lot safer than Bergen Lafayette/West Bergen IMO. If the residents of a certain area are saying the nab isn't safe, then you should believe it isn't safe.

Also, when you walk around the Heights, you don't feel as if you need to grow eyes in the back of your head.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
haha i have lived on prospect off of palisade my whole life....

i would recommend the juliette condos as they are very beautiful, but if you read the jersey journal, i'm sure you've read about the stabbings in front of 38 prospect, on the corner of webster and prospect, the deli on webster getting robbed constantly, and all of that other fun stuff.

i love my block, it's like a really bad episode of cops sometimes.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
hero69: have you walked around Hutton and palisade ave at night or franklin between central and palisade, how about prospect st.....let's see wasn't there a report of the UC police and JC police making special efforts for the park at the border of the heights? How about summit avenue ? The heights has major gang problems and also crime..not to mention transportation has gotten cut recently and the quality of it is not as bad as bergen lafayette but pretty close......You wanna know scary...walk out of the congress st light rail stop, and walk through ogden and palisade......
This is all my opinion but the Heights has its bad ones too...not to mention it is super crowded............

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Why move there when you can get a hell of a deal in downtown! IRS is having a fire sale in the metropolis towers! More info coming soon but I recommend bookmarking the link below so you will know when the auctions starts it's 22nd on the list. FIRE SALE!!!

http://www.treasury.gov/auctions/treasury/rp/realprop.shtml

Resized Image

Note: My sincere apologies to anybody who bought or is selling anything in the metropolis towers, this will make prices rock bottom.

greenville, interesting. But just so you know, metropolis tower is not condo but coop. So there are additional risks associated with it. Although the area is definitly desireable and not affected signifcantly by the current market yet, so the risk of the building going into bankruptcy is very low right now.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Don't do it. Location, location, location is what they teach in real estate 101! Downtown Jersey City and the Heights around the light rail will always trump Bergen-Layette/West Bergen although there are some nice brownstones around there. I thought about buying, but got freaked out while walking down the street on a weekday afternoon. Eeerily quiet, and people kept staring at me.

I thought to myself, even iI bought here, no one would want to visit.

Bergen-Lafayette is not about to become the next Harlem. Hey, maybe you should look in Harlem.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
My real question is, how do you "feel" about handling a rough urban area? Most violent crime takes place within groups. As an "outsider," your property would be targeted, but you wouldn't. If you don't mind taking precautions (home security system, burglar bars, hurricane film on windows, motion sensor lights, a dog who barks, not walking around like a fool after dark) and keeping your head, I really think it should be your decision. the waterfront/downtown. Bottom line: go for it if you "feel" okay.
Are you asking her to become ?Omega Woman? ??? DTG PS - Give the new girl a break !!!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:
Most of the people I asked live "on the hill" or in that area, that is why I asked them. Period. They happen to be black because that is the area most blacks live in, in Jersey City.

The real problem here is the economy. If the economy gets a lot worse, a lot of Jersey City could become more dangerous than it is now.

If the city keeps on the track that it's been on, I think the Junction would be an OK area to buy in, if you are happy with the block.

I don't know about that specific block, but I have a white friend who lived a few blocks to the west of there, on Bergen, and now lives a few blocks to the east.

When she lived on Bergen, her bike was stolen and gang members killed each other in front of her place, but no one ever broke into her place or mugged her or anything like that. If anything, maybe people were more polite to her because she was white.

And I think it was very obvious, even on lovely afternoons, that her block was a challenging block. You didn't have to go there at midnight to see that drunken people were hanging out on their stoops glaring at people; the drunken people were there with their bottles at 2 p.m.

Now that my friends leaves a few blocks east of the Junction, on a block that looks much calmer at all hours, she has no problems whatsoever. So, in general, the farther east you are and the calmer the block looks during the day, the better off you probably are.

Also: if you are looking in a certain area because of cost concerns, chances are that lots of similar people are,too. If that trend continues, the level of law-abidingness that prevails where you live now probably will spread to wherever it is that you move to.

If that trend doesn't continue, it will be because the housing market collapse has brought properties in places like Van Vorst Park into your price range. In that case, you might as well buy in VVP.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

designknob wrote:
You don't want to talk about race, yet you continually mention that you are a WHITE girl. Why wasn't your question "is it safe for a FEMALE?" then.

Because that would be SEXIST!

Let's give this girl a break.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
You don't want to talk about race, yet you continually mention that you are a WHITE girl. Why wasn't your question "is it safe for a FEMALE?" then.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:27

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017