Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Living in Hamilton Park

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
good lord you are a wealth of information and i mean that in a nice way!

no heights for me or jsq. they might seem like silly reasons to others but for me they help narrow down my search.

no heights because i want to be walking distance to the path. i dislike buses since that's how i commute home now. not to mention the heights reminds me of surburban life, but i could be wrong. simply, it's not what i'm looking for at the moment.

jsq i have heard mixed reviews about. yes there are tons more affordable over there from what i have seen on the internet but i don't think it's my kind of area.

and you don't have to warn me about basement apartments. i know what they're all about and i can say that 100% out of the question. =)

ive frequented jclist (just happened to stumble on this) and craiglsist (big pain in the butt) and hudsonreporter so thanks for the new ones. hobokeni.com isn't bad either but mostly caters to hoboken as the name would suggest.

price range, 1000-1300 for a studio or 1br. i know its low but i've been seeing stuff out there. they just happen to get snatched up really quickly.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds like you have your heart set on Downtown Jersey City, but if that ends up not panning out for you price-wise, you could try Journal Square (which has its own PATH station) or Jersey City Heights (which has buses, great views along the Palisades and a light rail station it shares with Hoboken).

If you don't mind me asking, what's your approximate price range?

I should go into real estate already -- I love this stuff!

Posted on: 2008/7/10 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's another idea (or two or three):

When you are walking along Grove Street between Christopher Columbus Drive and Wayne Street, there is a furniture shop called Cruz Furniture.

(I believe the sign says King's Cruz furniture, though they just go by the name Cruz Furniture as far as I know. It's on the same block as Hard Grove Cafe, Stella's Pizza and Wild Fusion.)

Anyway, you may want to pop in there and ask if they know of any apartments for rent nearby.

I know that may sound bizarre, but I know of a woman who did exactly that when she was first moving to Jersey City a few years ago.

It turns out that the owner or manager who was working there at the time said he owned a couple of beautiful apartments over in the Hamilton Park area.

She checked them out and I recall her saying one had exposed brick and I think the other had even had an elevator and the prices were insanely great at the time.

Who knows -- maybe one of those units is available?

Along the same lines...

As you are window shopping in the retail districts, definitely look for "Apartment for Rent" signs taped to the insides of windows.

Often these retailers are renting out units in their buildings or own units in other JC buildings that they are trying to rent out.

More thoughts on Downtown Jersey City living:

Try and avoid basement units if you can. They tend to have less light and I would think they may be less secure.

But more importantly, parts of Downtown Jersey City are notorious for FLOODING during torrential rains.

If you do choose a basement apartment, talk to the previous tenant and MAKE SURE the landlord has their act together on this front before you sign any lease.

Also, you've probably already thought of this, but see what's posted on JCList.com, Craigslist.org, WiredJC.com, NJ.com, JCReporter.com, etc. etc.

You never know what you may stumble across!

Posted on: 2008/7/10 17:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:

I know this thread is specific to Hamilton Park, but I work about exactly where you do and I live in the PAD. If you commute via PATH to WTC everyday as I do, the 7 minute walk to Exchange Place can save you a ton of time waiting for a downtown PATH train.

Not to dissuade you from moving to HP, just sayin'.

i know living near exchange place or grove st stations are closer to wtc but i'm being realistic. i won't be working in the same place forever, most likely not even for another year. so while convenience to my office is a plus, its not a priority. as long as i'm near/walking distance to the path, i'm fine =)

Posted on: 2008/7/10 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

kribopple wrote:
oh and as for living near the tunnel, doesn't phase me. i'd be living alone and grew up in nyc. not to mention i work downtown right next to the wtc site and god knows what i breathe in on a daily basis.

i'm just looking for a nice (affordable) neighborhood to live in.

I know this thread is specific to Hamilton Park, but I work about exactly where you do and I live in the PAD. If you commute via PATH to WTC everyday as I do, the 7 minute walk to Exchange Place can save you a ton of time waiting for a downtown PATH train.

Not to dissuade you from moving to HP, just sayin'.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I love living in Hamilton Park. I moved over from the city about 5 years ago and thought that my transition would be difficult, but it has been fantastic, and getting better every day. I give it an A plus so far. I also walk through the parking garage in the am and later at night, and it has never been a problem.

Go for it, i did and i am loving it

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kribopple wrote:
urban renewal: thank you so much!!!

this is all really insightful and beyond helpful. i love when people are helpful and nice. it also reassures me that there are good people in the dt jc area i wouldnt mind living amongst. =)

for some reason, i'm drawn to jc to look for an apt vs say, hoboken or downtown brooklyn (where i am completely priced out of). so i'll take these suggestions with me and scour the neighborhood. it is a really nice day out to do such.

i'll def be on the look out for the "for rent" signs. i just can't handle these broker fees. they kill me. i'm not made of money!! i'm determined to do it without a realtor (which is why i cant settle on the pavonia ave apt no matter how great it is) so if anyone else has suggestions, let me know.

Aww shucks. I'm happy to help.

I'm a big fan of my neighborhood and I love Jersey City.

When I was moving here in 2001, I did a lot of research first.

And between the options I had in Hoboken, Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan, I absolutely liked Downtown Jersey City most!

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
oh and as for living near the tunnel, doesn't phase me. i'd be living alone and grew up in nyc. not to mention i work downtown right next to the wtc site and god knows what i breathe in on a daily basis.

i'm just looking for a nice (affordable) neighborhood to live in.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oops. I meant to say that the playground was on the north side of the street (not the south side).

Also, I just edited my earlier post a tad (so you may want to re-read it or reprint it if you're printing it out.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
urban renewal: thank you so much!!!

this is all really insightful and beyond helpful. i love when people are helpful and nice. it also reassures me that there are good people in the dt jc area i wouldnt mind living amongst. =)

for some reason, i'm drawn to jc to look for an apt vs say, hoboken or downtown brooklyn (where i am completely priced out of). so i'll take these suggestions with me and scour the neighborhood. it is a really nice day out to do such.

i'll def be on the look out for the "for rent" signs. i just can't handle these broker fees. they kill me. i'm not made of money!! i'm determined to do it without a realtor (which is why i cant settle on the pavonia ave apt no matter how great it is) so if anyone else has suggestions, let me know.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
we owned a loft condo for 10 years in the Park Hamilton building.

It was quite alright, but the fire engine sirens on Manila shook the house and there were leaks when it rained.

I was there when there was nothing around, so in terms of restaurants, stores, etc it must be much better now.

Also consider the fumes from the stalled Holland Tunnel traffic two blocks away - I did not care, but if I'd have kids in the house, I'd think about it.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kribopple wrote:
thanks for all your help everyone! i did check a place out near pavonia and 8th but i just can't afford all that money up front now even though i'm in love with the block.

i'm visting a place around 4th and erie (is that still considered HP?) so we'll see.

i feel better about this whole PATH thing now. that was my inital concern about the neighborhood but it seems like i dont have much to worry about.

4th and Erie is considered Harsimus Cove (which is an area that has a ton of housing options).

I would also really encourage you to check out the Van Vorst Park area.

It's a beautiful neighborhood and has easier access to the Grove Street PATH station than Hamilton Park.

Just walk south along Jersey Avenue from the Hamilton Park/Harsimus Cove area down past Christopher Columbus Drive a few blocks toward Montgomery Street.

You'll see Van Vorst Park on your left once you cross Montgomery Street.

This time of year the park is SPECTACULAR with the fountains, flowers, trees and all of the meticulous landscaping. And there's a summer outdoor film series.

I am guessing you will fall in love with the park and Mercer Street east of Jersey Avenue (because it's easy to do -- think West Village NYC), but also walk up and down Montgomery Street and York Street east of Jersey Avenue and look for "For Rent" signs in the windows -- I see them often. I would also check out Barrow Street between Mercer Street and York Street.

If you can't find anything east of Jersey Avenue, you could also explore the area to the west, though as you proceed further and further to the west toward the NJ Turnpike Extension, a number of the blocks tend to get rougher around the edges.

Also, you have to walk along Grove Street from Christopher Columbus Drive to Grand Street! It will give you an idea of all of the shopping and dining options you have.

You may get lucky in your Van Vorst Park hunt (I sure did price-wise!), but if you feel like you may be priced out of the neighborhood, you could try Wayne Street between Marin Blvd. and Barrow Street. It's a bit rougher around the edges than many of the other Van Vorst Park blocks, but you may get a better deal as a result.

I'd avoid my block, which is Wayne Street between Jersey Avenue and Barrow Street, just because there's a playground on the south side of the street where local teens and others tend to loiter. Residents tend to not be harassed, but the loiterers are mostly just a nuisance (especially in the summer). That said, there are some reasonably-priced apartments in the Hampton Court building on the south side of my block to the right of the church you may want to at least take a look at.

Another block to avoid would be Christopher Columbus Drive between Barrow Street and Jersey Avenue. Again, I've never had any problems, but the loitering (especially in the summer) can be a bit unsettling.

(Regarding shopping and dining options: I would also check out from Grove Street to 1st Street and from Newark Avenue to Jersey Avenue and beyond.)

If you find that you are priced out of Hamilton Park, Harsimus Cove, Van Vorst Park, Paulus Hook, Liberty Harbor North, Newport, the Exchange Place vicinity and the Powerhouse Arts District, you could try the Italian Village neighborhood.

It's further from the PATH (which may be a concern for you when you're walking at night), but there are always cabs waiting at the Grove Street PATH station. You could just grab one of those. This JCList thread goes into some detail about that area.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Nah, once you get south of the embankment (6th) it becomes a different neighborhood.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 15:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for all your help everyone! i did check a place out near pavonia and 8th but i just can't afford all that money up front now even though i'm in love with the block.

i'm visting a place around 4th and erie (is that still considered HP?) so we'll see.

i feel better about this whole PATH thing now. that was my inital concern about the neighborhood but it seems like i dont have much to worry about.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 14:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/8 18:57
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Avoid the Music Box

Posted on: 2008/7/10 13:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
As for directions, I would recommend Grove Street as an exit, faster to exit and faster walk... except in the winter where other warm considerations might take priority. Except also if you are taking the light rail.

It also has the benefit of, depending on where you end up, walking up the commercial strips of Newark or Grove. It makes you feel part of a real live neighborhood, walking past the shops and restaurants rather than through a sterile mall. Plus you can pick up anything from produce to socks to petfood to $0.99 knickknacks. (fave recent dollar find: 3 bulb LED keychain flashlight!)

The exception I would make to this would be late a night when the shops on Newark are mostly closed (esp in the hours after the bars/restaurants have closed). THAT'S when the area feels a bit more sketchy and you'll be fairly isolated on your walk to Hamilton Park. Take the cab.

The mall/parking deck might be sterile but it has SOME security presence, is brightly lit and is laid out in a fashion that would hinder an assailant from laying in wait (the deck less so). And as someone else mentioned, you walk past a police station and a fire station on the way to the park. Which, while not a guarantee of safety by any measure, is somewhat a comfort.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 11:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 6:39
Group:
Banned
I've lived in HP for about 5 years as a single female without any problems, I would highly reccomend it.

There really is no "nightlife" per se, but we do have about 4 very different bar/restaurants to choose from where you can have a few drinks and still be close enough to be able to walk home. I'd recommend Simple on the corner of 9th and Coles as a nice , female friendly local watering hole.

I don't walk home from the Path after 10pm - its not worth the risk when a cab ride from Grove is $6 with tip (no cabs waiting at Newport- ever- so I wouldn't recommend getting off there if you are planning to take a cab)

All in all it's a really nice neighborhood and getting better so I hope you decide to move here.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 6:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
HP (Hamilton Park) is a great place to live. Use common sense like you would in any major, urban city and you will be fine. Besides the option of the path, you also have a bus to/from the port authority.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I have been here 20 years. I have never had a problem walking to the Pavonia/Newport Station ever. At all hours both sober and drunk(years ago). I have probably been on that train 2,000 plus times. In the neighborhood itself? About 12 years ago I saw a kid who had his brains blown out on 8th. and McWilliams. That was a late night coat robbery gone real bad. There is the occasional mugging, car/apartment robbery and rampant hijacking of threads on this website. Generally it is a Great place to live. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2008/7/10 3:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/9 4:00
Group:
Registered Users
As a former resident of HP, I can tell you that the area is generally safe. However, there are still a few blocks here and there where some characters seem to hang out. (which I suppose is true in any city) What are the cross-streets of where you are considering? As a female living alone, you'll want to make sure you feel comfortable not just in the area, but specifically on the block where you live. As for the walk to and from newport path, the mall thing is a blessing in disguise (rain, snow, sweltering heat). But generally speaking, its probably the same distance to walk to grove street path if you prefer to remain outdoors.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
As for directions, I would recommend Grove Street as an exit, faster to exit and faster walk... except in the winter where other warm considerations might take priority. Except also if you are taking the light rail.

It also has the benefit of, depending on where you end up, walking up the commercial strips of Newark or Grove. It makes you feel part of a real live neighborhood, walking past the shops and restaurants rather than through a sterile mall. Plus you can pick up anything from produce to socks to petfood to $0.99 knickknacks. (fave recent dollar find: 3 bulb LED keychain flashlight!)

Posted on: 2008/7/10 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Area is very safe. Lots of joggers , dog walkers at all hours

If you are taking the PATH during very late hours after 10pm , it is best to exit at Grove /Hoboken and take a taxi.

Search this site for the Street on which your apt. is on, just to be sure.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You forgot the Embankment for restaurants, and also La Rustique which is close by. The list will probably increase with the completion of the building on the east side of the park.

As for safety I agree it is pretty safe and merry around the Park, just make sure to turn off your hearphones if you come back at 3 AM in the morning.... - like everywhere else.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I just took a look at an apartment in the Hamilton Park area. Can anyone tell me how they feel about the general area? Nightlife? Places to eat? Safety?

Besides Newport I consider Hamilton Park the safest part of Jersey City. I've never felt unsafe, even walking home in the wee hours. There is a police precinct on 7th Street, and therefore are cop cars swarming around while they are coming or going.

Nightlife is all towards Grove/Newark, with the exception of a few bars like Simple (more formal), Hamilton Park Ale House (more food), and White Star (best overall, IMO).

The mall is so close in case you wanted any quick fast food. I wouldn't complain about the walk through the mall. You'll be glad it is there when it is raining or freezing.

I've loved living in Hamilton Park, and my roommate (female) would say the same. She's never felt unsafe here.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 21:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hamilton Park is one of the safer areas downtown. Of course things do happen and you should always think of your own safety.
With regard to the PATH station access, you could go around the mall/parking deck and walk down Gangemi (the street btw the mall and Shop Rite/Wachovia) but that area is more deserted than going thru the mall which has at least SOME security presence.
I'd think the walk from NewportPavonia safer than that from Grove street at late hours.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Do you own a dachshund?

Posted on: 2008/7/9 20:59

Living in Hamilton Park

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just took a look at an apartment in the Hamilton Park area. Can anyone tell me how they feel about the general area? Nightlife? Places to eat? Safety?

Also, I was a little put off by the PATH access at Pavonia/Newport. Is there anyway around the whole walk through the mall and parking garage thing? Is it safe early in the morning or late at night? I ask because I'm a female and sometimes I have to be at work at 6/7am and sometimes get off past 10.

Thanks for responding!

Posted on: 2008/7/9 20:48

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017