Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 2008 Street paving - Councilman Steven Fulop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Repairs to shut lanes of Marin Blvd.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Jersey City workers spotted a 4-foot-deep sinkhole beneath the blacktop of Marin Boulevard and will begin excavating to stop it from continuing to undermine the road, officials said.

When the sinkhole located near Sixth Street was discovered, workers lowered a robotic camera into a nearby manhole to take a look and spray painted lines on the blacktop and the words "Dig here."

One lane in each direction of Marin Boulevard was closed while workers were at the scene and will likely remain closed when jackhammers start tearing up the roadway.

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

Posted on: 2008/7/17 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Sinkhole work finished for the day

by Michaelangelo Conte
Monday July 14, 2008

Reena Rose SibayanA Jersey City Municipal Utilities worker peers into the sinkhole on Luis Munoz Marin Boulevard.

Work has finished for the day on what appears to be a 4-foot-deep, but only 8-inch-in-diameter sinkhole on Luis Munoz Marin Boulevard off Sixth Street in Jersey City.

Workers are expected to excavate the hole tomorrow, officials said, which may result in some traffic disruptions on the heavily traveled road to the Holland Tunnel.

Check back with Hudson County Now for updates.
http://www.nj.com/hudsoncountynow

Posted on: 2008/7/15 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thriftyT wrote:
I think you may be over-analyzing the situation.

In Pittsburgh, there are potholes all over the place, but you can tell the city tries to keep up with things because one sees road-construction crews all over the place.

Here, there's minimal attempt at fixing roads. The roads that have been repaved seem fine (e.g., Manila near the tunnel).

Although I don't have inside information, I can infer a few things from a few basic facts:

1. Property taxes are pretty high around here.
2. I don't see road construction crews around the neighborhood.

The conclusion is that the city is spending our money on things other than road upkeep.

I myself am a bottom-up kinda guy. I always like to see gov't money spent on the basics first: infrastructure, schools, police/fire. But things don't always go that way, do they?

Heheh. Thanks for your feedback.

You could be right about me overanalyzing (which I tend to do). It's also sort of why I posed those questions and wonder if anyone has looked into this more deeply.

You mentioned your experiences in Pittsburgh, and I know what you mean. Mine have run the gamut.

I lived in Northeastern Pennsylvania for a number of years and the roads in my city were horrendous in some places (though they are actually worse here).

I also lived in Northern Virginia before moving here and the roads in my area were spectacular.

I was just trying to figure out if it's more of a lack-of-money thing, a lack-of-standards thing, a lack-of-citizen-demand thing, a weird terrain thing, some combination of those things or something else entirely (like the stuff I listed earlier about poor construction, lackluster maintenance, cronyism, etc.).

I'm also curious to know if JCListers (especially the longtime residents) are finding that the road situation is actually improving.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
I think you may be over-analyzing the situation.

In Pittsburgh, there are potholes all over the place, but you can tell the city tries to keep up with things because one sees road-construction crews all over the place.

Here, there's minimal attempt at fixing roads. The roads that have been repaved seem fine (e.g., Manila near the tunnel).

Although I don't have inside information, I can infer a few things from a few basic facts:

1. Property taxes are pretty high around here.
2. I don't see road construction crews around the neighborhood.

The conclusion is that the city is spending our money on things other than road upkeep.

I myself am a bottom-up kinda guy. I always like to see gov't money spent on the basics first: infrastructure, schools, police/fire. But things don't always go that way, do they?

Posted on: 2008/7/12 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One more thought:

Are JCListers seeing a marked (or at least gradual) improvement in the condition of our city streets? Or do you feel that our road conditions are just as bad as ever?

Posted on: 2008/7/12 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is clear that many of the pothole-laden streets crisscrossing Downtown Jersey City can do major damage to automobiles and bicycles (and even to people if you don't watch your step).

My questions are:

What is this really due to? Is it inaccurate engineering and planning work? Poor construction and execution? Insufficient funding? Lack of pothole repair and follow-up? Or does it have something to do with the ground beneath us (like could the soil be shifting beneath our roads more than we realize)?

It's easy to simply say "all of the above" and "it's corruption" or "it's lack of leadership" and "blame the city government," but I guess I am just trying to understand the underlying sources of the problem (assuming that they go beyond cronyism).

Has anyone out there had a chance to dig deeper into this issue?

Posted on: 2008/7/12 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Also, I don't understand why anyone is arguing for NOT repaving a street in front of an empty lot just because there MIGHT be construction some time in the future. Asphalt roads need to be replaced frequently, and even more frequently when you have shyster no-bid contract cronies doing the work. So my point is, the roads need resurfacing every few years anyway, whether or not construction rips them up, so why not pave them when they need paving. Also, City Hall, repaving more frequently just adds more money to your friends in the paving business, so its a win-win. Or as Michael Scott would say, a win-win-win, because you win, and I win, and Michael Scott wins for negotiating a positive resolution.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
This isn't good: Cost of Asphalt Rises

Posted on: 2008/6/28 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Althea thanks for the clarification -- I'm glad to hear this -- so when you say Newark Avenue will be repaved in early 2009 will that be all of Newark Avenue Downtown or just a piece near the PATH station. Simply put, will the repaving go to the fire station at 5th Street or at the very least will Newark Avenue be repaved through Brunswick?

It seems that all the empty lots on Newark Avenue Downtown are now being built on so the timing seems very good - past 5th street I can see that there will likely be even more large developments but it is imperative that the rest of the whole length of Newark Avenue Downtown be treated as one street.

Quote:

Althea wrote:
The list came from the engineering department, with the lovely ManilLa mispelling...

However, there is a mistake on the list. The repaving of Grand Street will be the complete stretch from Jersey to Marin, not just Jersey to Grove.

The repaving of Newark Ave is included in the whole Newark Streetscape redevelopment which should be completed at the beginning of 2009.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
this should not be rocket science, should it?

.... a inspection and maintenance schedule that is audited to ensure performance.

.... an annual line item budget allocation for maintenance and repair of roads.

.... an annual review of grant and other funding opportunities from sources that contribute to unusual road deterioration; State DOT, Port Authority, Turnpike Authority and large scale property developers.....

Posted on: 2008/6/27 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

All the townhouse-style LHN buildings are built with wood framing.

Are you surprised that they shake?

The owners keep telling themselves that when Grand Street is repaved, the problems with the shaking will be solved. I suspect actually that the reason those folks are seeing cracks is that the development is beginning to settle on some softer then expected ground.

There is a whole thread over on kannekt dedicated to what those people have termed The Shakes.

I agree that people are conflating the two issues of shaking and cracks/settling. Clearly a smoother road surface may reduce vibrations, especially with the speed bumps and craters currently on Grand. But yes, cracks caused by settling would not stop because of the road being repaved.

One thing I don't understand though is why people are so aghast that low-rise buildings would use wood framing. The vast majority of homes and low-rise multi-family buildings built in the last 50 years have had wood framing, even multi-million dollar mansions.

Nearly all new wood-frame buildings tend to settle in just about any geology (even hard desert clay) and develop small hairline cracks in the wall as a result. These rarely are a sign of structural issues as long as the cracks are smaller than the width of a dime.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

The owners keep telling themselves that when Grand Street is repaved, the problems with the shaking will be solved. I suspect actually that the reason those folks are seeing cracks is that the development is beginning to settle on some softer then expected ground.

There is a whole thread over on kannekt dedicated to what those people have termed The Shakes.

The owners of the LHN townouses need to stop telling themselves that.

Even if G-street gets repaved, there will always be a truck rumbling there, shaking their wood frames.

The owners of townhouses in LHN need to realize that they live in an 21 Century American wooden shantytown.

You didn't really call other people on JCList "nauseating naysayers", did you?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/27 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

The owners of the LHN townouses need to stop telling themselves that.

Even if G-street gets repaved, there will always be a truck rumbling there, shaking their wood frames.

The owners of townhouses in LHN need to realize that they live in an 21 Century American wooden shantytown.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

Posted on: 2008/6/27 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

This subject was broached both at the Downtown Construction Committee meetings as well as the HPHA. We were specifically told by a city employee who works in this area (I will gladly tell you in private who this was, but I won't name him or her here because he or she is not at fault) that the decision was made to skip these two blocks because it would be too much for Macco to remove all of his barriers and that the brand new paving would be in jeopardy from all of the construction work. We were, however, promised that these two blocks of Grand would be paved as soon as the major construction was completed on Liberty Harbor. Additionally, we were assured that it would certainly happen because it was already paid for.

This is going to come back and bite them in the ass. Apparently some of the buildings in LHN are shaking violently from the vibrations as vehicles pass over the potholes on Grand. This is leading to cracks in the buildings. The cracks will lead to lawsuits, almost certainly.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Althea wrote:
The list came from the engineering department, with the lovely ManilLa mispelling...

Wow, City Hall folk know how to pass a buck, huh?

Ackowledging and taking responsibility for mistakes, even simple ones, is a sign of good leadership. Throwing others under the bus, not so much. And it doesn't appear that the engineering department typed the original post, or failed to do a simple proof-read before clicking the 'submit' button.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Only the courts and lawyers will make out in the end. Don't expect a payout.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
If the city got a grant and the job was never completed, then they need to make sure that it gets done.

"you may say-ay-ay-ay, I'm a dreamer...."

Posted on: 2008/6/27 14:48
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

This subject was broached both at the Downtown Construction Committee meetings as well as the HPHA. We were specifically told by a city employee who works in this area (I will gladly tell you in private who this was, but I won't name him or her here because he or she is not at fault) that the decision was made to skip these two blocks because it would be too much for Macco to remove all of his barriers and that the brand new paving would be in jeopardy from all of the construction work. We were, however, promised that these two blocks of Grand would be paved as soon as the major construction was completed on Liberty Harbor. Additionally, we were assured that it would certainly happen because it was already paid for.

This is going to come back and bite them in the ass. Apparently some of the buildings in LHN are shaking violently from the vibrations as vehicles pass over the potholes on Grand. This is leading to cracks in the buildings. The cracks will lead to lawsuits, almost certainly.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users

However, there is a mistake on the list. The repaving of Grand Street will be the complete stretch from Jersey to Marin, not just Jersey to Grove.

The repaving of Newark Ave is included in the whole Newark Streetscape redevelopment which should be completed at the beginning of 2009.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 14:31
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
If I recall correctly, when Grand Street was paved a couple of years ago, it, like Christopher Columbus, was paid for with grant money; it was not part of the normal paving program. At the time, Macco had just started construction on Liberty Harbor and had taken up the far right lane of Grand. This is why Grove to Jersey was never paved.

Also, within the last year, the intersection at Grand and Grove was completely dug up for what I believe was utility connections for Gull's Cove. This was done just after Marin was repaved. And Marin, I believe, was paved with State money as well. Of course, the city didn't make the contractors repair the street using the city's stated standards and the patch job they did was sub par. So a newly paved street is now back to the condition it was before it was repaved (at least at Grand and Marin). This mess could also be fixed at the same time, killing two birds with one stone.

Please follow up on this. We should not have to wait for the next round of paving to get the last unpaved section of Grand done. If the city got a grant and the job was never completed, then they need to make sure that it gets done.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Steve,

What I?d like know is, why aren?t the developers, who continue to get generous tax abatements, required because of those abatements, to repave the roads (i.e. Grand) they are digging up to run new lines for their properties. Why should it come out of our budget?

Jersey City is a good friend to the developers unlike New York's gentrification neighborhoods the developers pay there. If the sewer line breaks from your house out into the street the home owner pays the costs involved including the cost of police presence. When united water, PSE&G, or other utility companies dig up the streets they the utilitiy companies repair the wake they left behind of their own costs. Imagine you're a developer and found a gentrifing town like J.C. and is generous as such I would do business here too ! Excerpt from the 1974 film The Godfather: Part 2: below
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hyman Roth: If I could only live to see it, to be there with you. What I wouldn't give for twenty more years! Here we are, protected, free to make our profits without Kefauver, the goddamn Justice Department and the F.B.I. ninety miles away, in partnership with a friendly government. Ninety miles! It's nothing! Just one small step, looking for a man who wants to be President of the United States, and having the cash to make it possible. Michael, we're bigger than U.S. Steel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hyman Roth: What I am saying is, we have now what we have always needed, real partnership with the government

Posted on: 2008/6/27 10:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

View Larger Map Gee willikers, paw! What's that? A gigantic lot on the corner of Grand Street and Marin Blvd, from Gull's Cove to Grand and from Marin almost all the way to Grove Street. I'm sure nothing's gonna go up there, and if something does, I'm sure they won't require plumbing or sewers. I second parkman's point entirely, which is why, until things change to a system where developers pay for their impact on their neighbors, every unnecessary dollar spent hurts property taxpayers all the more. Quote:
by GrovePath on 2008/6/26 21:47:57 Sal/NON you really should keep your nasty attitude for your weirdojc website, Grand between Grove and Marin is not empty lots but pretty built up already - so your point is lost. I think parkman already hit the point I was chiming in on: Quote:
parkman wrote: Steve, What I?d like know is, why aren?t the developers, who continue to get generous tax abatements, required because of those abatements, to repave the roads (i.e. Grand) they are digging up to run new lines for their properties. Why should it come out of our budget?

Posted on: 2008/6/27 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I would be satisfied with at least one way out of the city that didn't involve new axles, but I'm sure that making that happen will not be the city's responsibility.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sal/NON you really should keep your nasty attitude for your weirdojc website, Grand between Grove and Marin is not empty lots but pretty built up already - so your point is lost.

I think parkman already hit the point I was chiming in on:

Quote:

parkman wrote:

Steve,

What I?d like know is, why aren?t the developers, who continue to get generous tax abatements, required because of those abatements, to repave the roads (i.e. Grand) they are digging up to run new lines for their properties. Why should it come out of our budget?

Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Think that's a coincidence, genius? Let's see, why would the city want to pave over a section of road adjacent to development that has completed all its utility and sewer hookups, but not a stretch of road next to a completely empty lot?

It's a waste of taxpayer money to completely repave roads that are certain to be ripped apart in the next few years due to development, just so graphic designers can zip around on their foldup bikes without chafing.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Yeah, but there are a whole lot of new condos between Jersey & Grove on Grand...

Quote:

mvm wrote:
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
Steven,

I will email you as well but wanted to request that the stretch of Grand between Grove and Marin be paved as part of the next round. While the stretch between Grove and Jersey is in much worse shape and in even more dire need of repair, that stretch is not in good shape either (with a very uneven surface and a number of potholes) and could really use some resurfacing.

Your are being generous... Grand between Grove and Marin is in just as bad shape. Hopefully this gets added to the list if it cannot be paved in this round.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 1:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/19 16:57
Group:
Registered Users
Second St and Washington could use some 'touch up', but I doubt it would happen until Crystal Pointe is done and the intersection is set up .

Posted on: 2008/6/27 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Think that's a coincidence, genius? Let's see, why would the city want to pave over a section of road adjacent to development that has completed all its utility and sewer hookups, but not a stretch of road next to a completely empty lot?

It's a waste of taxpayer money to completely repave roads that are certain to be ripped apart in the next few years due to development, just so graphic designers can zip around on their foldup bikes without chafing.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Yeah, but there are a whole lot of new condos between Jersey & Grove on Grand...

Quote:

mvm wrote:
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
Steven,

I will email you as well but wanted to request that the stretch of Grand between Grove and Marin be paved as part of the next round. While the stretch between Grove and Jersey is in much worse shape and in even more dire need of repair, that stretch is not in good shape either (with a very uneven surface and a number of potholes) and could really use some resurfacing.

Your are being generous... Grand between Grove and Marin is in just as bad shape. Hopefully this gets added to the list if it cannot be paved in this round.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 1:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

mvm wrote:
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
Steven,

Posted on: 2008/6/26 23:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/17 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
Steven,

Posted on: 2008/6/26 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
New, smooth streets? Get ready for the speeders and daily accidents to increase ten-fold.

Posted on: 2008/6/26 22:53

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017