Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Healy to appeal conviction again
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmolder wrote:
Send that low life to jail. He's got no class to be the mayor of Jersey City.

Quit picking on Jerry he's all we got. Jersey City at it's best !

Posted on: 2008/8/7 17:58

Re: Jersey City Mayor Healy arrested after Bradley Beach incident
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Legit position, qualified hire

Legit position, qualified hire

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Letters to the Editor

From the Jersey Journal

On Feb. 13, I filed an OPRA (Open Public Records Act) request for information regarding the hiring of Philip Matsikoudis, brother to Bill Matsikoudis, as a legislative research officer for the City of Jersey City. I believed that an investigation was required, because by February, Philip Matsikoudis was also representing Mayor Healy personally in the Bradley Beach incident, and that his hiring was therefore tainted by the appearance of a conflict of interest. At the time, I publicly expressed that I had doubts as to the legitimacy of this appointment or the existence of the position of legislative research officer.

My investigation into this matter has concluded, and I am very pleased to say that I have found no wrongdoing in relation to the hiring of Philip Matsikoudis by the City of Jersey City. While the hiring process was not transparent, my findings show that the job of legislative research officer is an appointed position dating back to at least 1997 and that the hiring of Philip Matsikoudis was legitimate under the relevant guidelines in place at the time and that Philip has worked on several meaningful projects with regards to government business.

Some may have perceived my investigation as an attack on the current administration, and directly on Bill and Philip Matsikoudis. That was not and never has been the case. I believe that it is my duty as the elected representative of my ward to act in the interest of my constituents, and therefore I must question any action taken by the city, or by its representatives, that appears to be unfair or unjust. It is, and has always been, my goal to ensure that the City of Jersey City acts in the best interest of the people of Jersey City, and I began this investigation with the sole intention of making certain that Philip Matsikoudis' hiring was properly done.

It is my hope that the conclusion of this investigation will remove any cloud upon their reputation for honesty and hard work. As the elected representative of Ward E, I sincerely thank them for their service to the City of Jersey City.

STEVEN M. FULOP COUNCILMAN, WARD E JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2008/8/7 15:43

Healy's 2nd appeal: Arresting cops lack credibility
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Healy's 2nd appeal: Arresting cops lack credibility

Wednesday, June 11, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

An attorney representing Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy was back in court yesterday trying for the second time to get Healy's conviction for fighting with cops in Bradley Beach two years ago overturned.

Before a three-judge appellate panel in Morristown, Philip Matsikoudis argued that the convictions for obstruction of administrative law and resisting arrest should be overturned because Healy's arresting officers lacked credibility.

The judges didn't give any timetable for a decision.

The June 2006 incident occurred after Healy tried to intervene in a lovers' spat outside a bar his sister owns. He and several witnesses testified he tried to tell police officers the matter was under control by the time they arrived.

But cops testified Healy appeared inebriated and was pointing his finger at them and put up his fists in a fighting stance. Finally, they said, they had to throw him to the ground and pepper-spray him to arrest him.

Matsikoudis, whose brother, Bill, is the city corporation counsel, argued that one officer failed to execute an open warrant for the boyfriend involved in the spat, while the other officer changed his story about when he pepper-sprayed the mayor.

After a two-day trial last June, Monmouth County Judge John Colannino found Healy guilty of the disorderly person charges and told him to pay more than $828 in fines and court fees.

In September, Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Anthony Mellaci upheld Colannino's ruling.

Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Patricia Quelch agreed to have the obstruction and resisting arrest charges merged.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
who is picking up the lawyers tab for all these appeals?

come on NNJR, you have enough posts, you should know the answer to that one... But just in case that's not a rhetorical question, and you really don't know, well looky here:

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The private attorney representing Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy in his Bradley Beach appeal has blown two deadlines for filing court papers, a court official said yesterday.

The attorney - brother of the city's top lawyer - is also a retired Jersey City cop who was put back on the city payroll last May as a part-time, $46,000-a-year "legislative research officer."

in other words, we are.

Posted on: 2008/5/29 11:18
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
He doesn't belong in jail for this but who is picking up the lawyers tab for all these appeals?

How many hours outside of his Mayor duties has he spent on this?

Posted on: 2008/5/29 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Lock him up and throw the key away!!

Posted on: 2008/5/28 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, he has no right being mayor. Send him away...

Posted on: 2008/5/28 13:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/1 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Send that low life to jail. He's got no class to be the mayor of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 13:37

Healy to appeal conviction again
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Healy to appeal conviction again

by Ken Thorbourne
Tuesday May 27, 2008

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy will be back in court next month for the second appeal of his conviction last year for fighting with cops in Bradley Beach.

The case has been scheduled for June 10 at the Morris County Courthouse in Morristown, said state Judiciary spokeswoman Tammy Kendig.

The case stems from a June 2006 incident in which Bradley Beach cops said they had to forcibly arrest a drunk and belligerent Healy when he wouldn't allow them to interview a woman involved in a domestic dispute.

Healy has maintained he was polite to the police and was merely trying to help them sort things out when they threw him to the ground and pepper-sprayed him in both eyes. Healy's first appeal of his convictions for resisting arrest and obstruction of administrative law -- and $828 in fines -- was rejected by a state Superior Court Judge in Monmouth County in September.

The case now moves to state Appellate Court. Healy does not have to be there, but his attorney, Philip Matsikoudis is expected to make an oral argument, as will the attorney representing the Monmouth County Prosecutors Office, Kendig said.

The judge to hear the case will be selected in the next few days, she said. No decision on the case is expected on June 10 since appellate court decisions are put in writing.

Posted on: 2008/5/28 13:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/20 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Yes there can be inexperienced cops in these small shore towns. These small towns are also frequented by alcholic Mayors and their wives too.

Posted on: 2008/4/2 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone else see Mayor Healy get on stage at PJ Ryans on St. Paddy's Day and do a cover version of the Johnny Cash song about Folsom State Prison? He sang about being stuck in Bradley Beach instead.

It was so over the top that you just had to laugh. Only in JC.

He was pretty good too.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
So the Mayor's private attorney, Philip Matsikoudis is also an appointed employee of the administration.

He is also the brother of the Corporate Council, Bill Matsikoudis.

What questions are your representitives on the city council asking about any conflicts of interest?

Stop venting and ask them at the next City Council meeting on April 9th.

To sign up to speak, contact the Office of the City Clerk on April 7th or 8th at (201) 547-5150.

Quote:

queer_studjc wrote:
Maybe I (and the Jersey Journal) am missing something. Isn't the real issue here not the blown deadlines but the fact that the lawyer representing the Mayor (in a private capacity) is also on city payroll. I'd like to see copies of his bills for representing the mayor (and proof of payment) as well as a log of what he actually does for the city. Otherwise resonable folks could assume that the city job is a way of the mayor subsidizing his lawyers expenses courtesy of the taxpayers.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 19:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
I have seene some situations that have appeared corrupt to me as a lay person since I have been in Jersey City. But even if it would be legal for Mayor Healy to hire an attorney, whom he oversees on the City payroll, it does have the "APPEARANCE" of impropriety. Is it in fact illegal? Just another thought: Could Mayor Healy's Jersey Shore lawyer have told the Mayor that his appeal is hopeless? Could the Mayor than have dismissed Attorney Fagan and put forth a new "SPIN" on his case? This would be the "SPIN": The Mayor realizing the futility of his appeal endeavor, Hires his new "CITY" attorney and and tells him (or orders him) to miss the filing dates for the appeal. In this case Mayor Healy can than "SCAPEGOAT" the "CITY" attorney for blowing his appeal! The Mayor will now represent to the press and others that his attorney blew the appeal by missing the filing date! Than the Mayor can save the "LITTLE FACE" that he has left in regards to this incident and represent that "I WOULD HAVE WON MY APPEAL BUT FOR THE INCOMPETENCE OF MY LAWYER MISSING THE FILING DATE"! The Mayor would have to use a CITY EMPLOYEE who he had LEVERAGE over because no CAREER ATTORNEY would want to be seen as being this INEPT! YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!

Posted on: 2008/2/14 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody else read the JJ today? They reported that Healy has put his personal lawyer who is appealing his case on the public payroll for 46,000.

Phillp Matacudis who also represented Willie Floods son is now a researcher for the city.

Don't Lie,Don't cheat,Don't Steal my ass.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
yes, certainly has the appearance of a conflict of interest and this is what ethics code are there to prevent.

thank you to the Jersey Journal for reporting this.

now among those of you who are upset by this (and I think rightly so), anyone going to file a complaint with our Ethical Standards board and perhaps the Local State Finance board.

To start, contact the City Clerk's Office to submit your request for an investigation - 201.547.5150.

Quote:

queer_studjc wrote:
Maybe I (and the Jersey Journal) am missing something. Isn't the real issue here not the blown deadlines but the fact that the lawyer representing the Mayor (in a private capacity) is also on city payroll. I'd like to see copies of his bills for representing the mayor (and proof of payment) as well as a log of what he actually does for the city. Otherwise resonable folks could assume that the city job is a way of the mayor subsidizing his lawyers expenses courtesy of the taxpayers.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 17:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/21 22:27
Group:
Registered Users
Wait a minute....
Is this the same Phillip Matsikoudis that is also defending Flood II?
He is on the payroll for the city and is the private attorney for the Mayor and Flood II?
This guy is a winner! He sure can pick his clients!

Posted on: 2008/2/13 14:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/13 13:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/2/13 14:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/20 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
this was posted to youtube by the jersey journal.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 3:57

Re: Jersey City's Cinderella Man
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
In August 1999, Mr. Healy, who owns a home in Bradley Beach, was charged with resisting arrest and obstructing justice, according to court records. David Dellett, a neighbor of Mr. Healy?s in Bradley Beach, told The Jersey Journal last year about the 1999 incident, in which he saw four policemen wrestle down a naked Mr. Healy on his porch.

Mr. Dellett said Mr. Healy would often hold loud parties that featured the playing of ukuleles and the singing of Irish tunes. Last week, a second neighbor, who asked not to be identified, also reported witnessing the same incident on the porch, adding that the mayor had unsuccessfully tried to hold onto a towel wrapped around him.

Our Frat-Boy Mayor.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
I imagine it was the rigors of his "legislative research officer" work schedule that kept Healy's lawyer from making those dealines.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 16:07
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Our Drunken Douche-Bag Mayor up to his old tricks.

"Don't accept what is said just because it's a police officer," Fagan said

I wonder what the JCPD thinks of that argument?

Posted on: 2008/2/12 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
APPEAL DELAYED TWICE
Healy's new lawyer has city job
appeal

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The private attorney representing Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy in his Bradley Beach appeal has blown two deadlines for filing court papers, a court official said yesterday.

The attorney - brother of the city's top lawyer - is also a retired Jersey City cop who was put back on the city payroll last May as a part-time, $46,000-a-year "legislative research officer."

According to Tammy Kendig, spokeswoman for the New Jersey Judiciary, Philip J. Matsikoudis sought and was granted two court extensions to file briefs on behalf of Healy, who, for the second time, is appealing his conviction last June for resisting arrest and obstruction of administrative law.

Matsikoudis - whose brother is City Corporation counsel Bill Matsikoudis - blew a Jan. 2 deadline, and then whiffed on a Jan. 31 file date, Kendig said.

Philip Matsikoudis said yesterday he believed he had asked for an extension "two days before Jan. 31" and was granted "(an extension of) 10 days or so." Reminded a 10-day extension would have expired, Matsikoudis said "it might have been 14 days."

According to Kendig, Matsikoudis wasn't given a new extension.

"The current scheduling order is in effect for Jan. 31," Kendig said. "No additional extensions have been requested."

Matsikoudis said it has taken him a long time to digest the court case record and write a brief. Healy was previously represented by Freehold attorney James Fagen, who argued and lost an appeal last September.

Missing the filing dates doesn't slam the door on Healy's appeal since his attorney can always argue why the appeal should still be heard, she said.

John Weingart, associate director of the Eagleton Institute of Politics at Rutgers University, said Healy could be engaging in a conflict of interest since he's in a position to reward or punish Matsikoudis "based on the how he performs in this private role."

Healy spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill dismissed the thought. "The mayor hired him because he is an experienced attorney and he's also a retired police officer who knows proper police procedures," Morrill said.

Healy was arrested June 17, 2007, in Bradley Beach when he interfered with a police investigation into a couple's dispute on the street.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
This guy is sad. If he is re-elected mayor, I seriously doubt his body will last the term. Diabetes and alcoholism is a recipe for liver failure.

Posted on: 2007/9/29 10:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Healy appeal rejected; he vows to keep fighting

Jersey Journal -- by Keenan Steiner
Friday September 28, 2007, 2:33 PM

Battling Mayor Jerramiah Healy is battling some more.

After losing his appeal of disorderly persons convictions in state Superior Court in Freehold this morning, the Jersey City mayor vowed to appeal to a higher court.

Wearing a tan suit, Healy was in the Monmouth County courthouse at 9 a.m. to appeal his June convictions on resisting arrest and obstruction of the administration of law charges.

The case stems from a summer 2006 scuffle he had with cops when intervening in a domestic dispute in Bradley Beach, where he has a home.

When Judge Anthony Mellaci rendered his decision, Healy was quiet and relaxed. About 15 people had come to court to watch.

Afterward, Healy said he was disappointed.

"I did nothing wrong,'' he said. "I am innocent."

Healy's lawyer, James Fagan, argued passionately that the testimony of police was too heavily relied upon in Judge John Colannino's decision in Bradley Beach, and that other witnesses disagreed with the cops' version of what took place.

"Don't accept what is said just because it's a police officer," Fagan said.

But the judge essentially said he was doing just that. It was clear from testimony, he said, that Healy had been appropriately and repeatedly warned that if he didn't stop interfering he would be arrested.

Posted on: 2007/9/28 19:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/23 4:56
From Take a wild guess
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
He is just dragging this out in case Corzine wants to make him a judge.He can't be a judge with a conviction.
He can be drunk,naked and convicted while serving as Mayor though,go figure.

Rebuttal from City Hall;

Jeremiah T. Healy is a life-long resident and advocate of Jersey City. At an early age, his immigrant parents taught him a strong work ethic and a sense of family values and moral integrity. These character strengths have played an integral role in his persona in Jersey City throughout his years as a husband, father, and public servant

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/8/25 5:32
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
He is just dragging this out in case Corzine wants to make him a judge.He can't be a judge with a conviction.
He can be drunk,naked and convicted while serving as Mayor though,go figure.

Posted on: 2007/8/24 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
HEALY'S APPEAL SET FOR SEPT. 7
Will fight Bradley Beach brawl conviction

Thursday, August 23, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy will have his day in court - again.

Roughly a month after a Monmouth County judge found Healy guilty of two disorderly persons offenses and slapped him with a $828 fine, a court official confirmed yesterday Healy has a hearing date for his appeal.

The appeal will be heard by Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Anthony J. Mellaci at 9 a.m. on Sept. 7 at state Superior Court in Freehold, said the court official, who did not want to be identified.

Healy's attorney, James Fagen, of Freehold, is expected to make a presentation, followed by a representative of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, the official said.

Mellaci could make a decision that day or take more time to consider the matter, the official said.

Healy is not expected to testify, the official said.

Neither Healy, Fagen, nor the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office returned phone calls seeking comment.

On June 27, Monmouth County Judge John Colannino found Healy guilty of resisting arrest and obstruction of administrative law stemming from an incident that took place on June 17, 2006 in Bradley Beach outside a tavern owned by Healy's sister and brother-in-law.

Two police officers testified that Healy refused to allow them to interview a woman involved in a dispute. Healy - who acknowledged consuming five to seven 10-ounce beers that night - grew belligerent and at one point assumed a boxing stance, one cop said.

To place Healy in handcuffs the cops said they had to wrestle him to the ground and pepper-spray him in both eyes.

Healy said he was just trying to help the police officers sort out the incident and denied he resisted arrest.

Posted on: 2007/8/24 13:49

Jersey City's Cinderella Man
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City's Cinderella Man

By Matt Friedman - August 9
www.politicsnj.com

He has a reputation for forming alliances, both with the disparate factions in his own county and with the leadership of that other big city that stands two rivers removed to the west of him, but Jerramiah Healy still can't escape the prize fighting references.

On Friday at a breakfast in Spring Lake Heights, the Jersey City mayor and head of the Hudson County Democratic Organization will receive the Jimmy "Cinderella Man" Braddock Award from Essex County political boss Steve Adubato.

It's not actually a formal award, said Healy. Rather more of a tongue-in-cheek reference to his Irish heritage and his tough guy demeanor, which was reinforced by his run-in with the law last year in Bradley Beach. For a politician with such a reputation, who has inherited the leadership of Hudson County's traditional Democratic machine in the midst of a political civil war, Healy is unfailingly diplomatic when talking politics.

"I was born an optimist, and I don't rule out any peace being in the future of everybody here in Hudson County," said Healy, 56, the son of Irish immigrants who grew up in northern Hudson - partly in North Bergen, incidentally, home of the former heavyweight champion James Braddock, who has served as mayor of New Jersey's second largest city for two-and-a-half years.

Now, after becoming party chair, he faces the Max Baer-like barrier of mending the county's political split between Healy's own organization and Union City Mayor (and Assemblyman/state Senate candidate) Brian Stack's Democrats for Hudson County.

"We've just come off of a rather bloody battle in the June primary, so there are certainly more challenges now than there have been," said Healy. "But I don't view it as insurmountable."

The peace process isn't a far-fetched concept for Healy, a former municipal judge who arranged a successful political partnership between Sandra Bolden Cunningham and two of her late husband's rivals, L. Harvey Smith and Tom DeGise. The team won the June primary, elevating Healy to the chairmanship of the organization. For now, the fractions will stay in their own corners - Healy hasn't so much as talked with Stack since the primary.

"I think we need a little cooling off period, which oddly enough the hot summer months may allow," said Healy.

One way Healy might diffuse the tensions would be to endorse U.S. Rep. Albio Sires for reelection in 2008. Caught in the undertow of his county's struggles, Sires endorsed Stack for state Senate in a particularly nasty race between Stack and HCDO-backed West New York Mayor (and Assemblyman) Sal Vega. Healy wouldn't commit to endorsing Sires, but he wouldn't rule it out either.

"I have to talk to all of the membership in the county Democratic organization. I have to talk to the congressman and the numerous candidates that want to run against him, but that's something we'll see in the future," said Healy. "That's not outside the realm of possibility, but it's premature to speak about that at this point."

There has been speculation that the HCDO is toying with the idea of fielding Jersey City Councilman Steve Fulop, one of Healy's most vocal critics, to run against Sires, thereby eliminating a potential strong challenge for mayor in 2009. Fulop, who endorsed Lou Manzo's ticket for state Senate against Sandra Cunningham, is not a friend to the political machine, and many doubt that he would become an organization ally. As for Healy, he flatly denied any intention of choosing Fulop, even if the councilman were game.

"That would be crazy for me to try to control that and cause another political war by endorsing one candidate against another candidate," said Healy. "Those things do not motivate me, and I think that anyone who would make decisions with those motives is probably going to make bad decisions."

As the HCDO and congressional challenges loom, Healy also finds himself in the middle of a New Jersey struggle involving presidential politics. He and Newark Mayor Cory Booker were two of the state's first politicians to back the campaign of Illinois Sen. Barack Obama. And though not quite sure what his title is in the campaign, Healy can easily rattle off a number of reasons why Obama is the candidate for New Jersey's cities.

Healy, who has made reducing crime one of the biggest issues of his term in office, instituting a gun-buy back program that took in about 900 weapons and increasing the police force by about 100 members, which he says helped accomplish last year's drop in crime.

"First of all, he lives in Chicago," said Healy. By coming from a large city, Healy said, Obama is more in tune with urban issues like gun control and affordable housing. "We share the same concerns about illegal guns that we deal with every day here in Jersey City."

The Obama alliance further binds Healy to Booker. While Booker faces political turmoil due to the violence plaguing Newark, Healy remains one of the young Newark mayor's staunchest allies.

"I think Cory Booker is a terrific person to lead Newark," said Healy. "Sixty years of neglect and other issues and problems, and he walks in and he's supposed to solve them all in a year?"

Referring to the violent crime in Newark and the resulting political ferment around Booker, the Jersey City mayor said his city saw its own particularly brutal murders two and half years ago, when the entire Armanious family, including two children, were slain by their upstairs neighbor.

Moving forward, one thing he's not worried about his conviction for resisting arrest and obstruction of justice in Bradley Beach last summer as a political liability. Refusing to pay a fine and let the case drop, Healy stubbornly continues to maintain his innocence and is continuing his appeal.

"It's already happened. It's been all over the newspapers. I'm sure whoever's running against me in 2009 will probably try to trump that up and exploit it, but I've already stated my case about it; Does it have anything to do with being Mayor of Jersey City? I don't think so."

A little like Jimmy Braddock, who beat Baer in the ring for the heavyweight crown in 1935, or the notoriously cantankerous Russell Crowe, who played him in a recent biopic, Healy keeps fighting.

http://www.politicsnj.com/jersey-citys-cinderella-man-10867

Posted on: 2007/8/10 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:

in other news i highly recommend barrys. yes, its owned by his family for everyone concerned, but hot damn his son or nephew was bartending and he was the best damn bartender i've ever encountered. he's a throwback to the days of old (or at least what i think it was like back then). plus he's also a jc fire fighter and hero for saving some old lady from a fire.

Healy's son Patrick saves a customer at his aunt's tavern
Thursday, July 19, 2007
By BERNETTE PEARSON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Firefighter Patrick Healy saved a 58-year-old man who was unconscious after a heart attack Sunday evening at the Healy family-owned bar and eatery in Bradley Beach, Bradley Beach police confirmed.

At around 5 p.m., Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy's 23-year-old son was working at his aunt's restaurant, and served a hamburger to Edward Locher, 58, said Kathleen Barry, the owner of Barry's Tavern, and a witness.

Locher then fell unconscious to the floor, witnesses told police. Healy reacted by performing two rounds of CPR before the police and an ambulance arrived.

Healy said Locher, a regular at the tavern, still had a sense of humor, even while paramedics were putting an oxygen mask on him. "When he came to, the first thing he said to me was 'cancel my hamburger,'" Healy said with a laugh.

Healy visited Locher at the Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune yesterday to check up on one of his favorite customers.

"You never get used to saving somebody," said Healy, a Jersey City firefighter for two years. "This was a friend of mine, so it had a little bit more meaning."

Healy does not consider himself a hero. "I don't know what I consider myself," he said. "I was just at the right place at the right time. And I'm relieved that he's doing well."

Barry's Tavern has been owned by Kathleen Barry and her husband George for 34 years. Kathleen Barry said Locher has been a regular for five years, often ordering watermelon and a hamburger.

"He (Locher) wouldn't be here today without Pat," Barry said. "If that young man was not on duty he (Locher) would not have made it."

Posted on: 2007/7/19 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i happened to be in barry's tavern on friday afternoon having lunch. To my surprise who walks past us to his bike in the corner to leave but our own mayor. My friend and i waved and he came over. we told him we were jersey city residents and then he started chatting all about this incident.

we did not ask, but he told. He caught me a bit off guard bringing it up but it was quite entertaining listening to his rebuttals. Perhaps it was the afternoon cocktails in me but i had to chuckle. I totally forgot to tell him we need more f'ing cops in the heights, um i meant VVP.

in other news i highly recommend barrys. yes, its owned by his family for everyone concerned, but hot damn his son or nephew was bartending and he was the best damn bartender i've ever encountered. he's a throwback to the days of old (or at least what i think it was like back then). plus he's also a jc fire fighter and hero for saving some old lady from a fire.

i left early and averted my eyes from all cops. not sure if it was our mayors advice or just dumb luck, but i left bradley not in cuffs. thanks mayor.

Posted on: 2007/7/10 17:40

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017