Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Making new friends (with people in a certain age range)

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/10 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
Konnichiwa atsushi san,

first of all welcome to Jersey City, i have leaved all my life in jersey city and i must agree, there isnt much to do, your best bet is hoboken and NYC. exchange pl. ok for a quick meal, place called komegashi is a great Japanese restaurant check it out. if you have any question just IM on AOL (maxsaint).

Max

Posted on: 2008/7/10 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks all for your comments. Sorry; I was being a bit bored and that's why I posted so many threads. This site seems to be visited by many people, and the response time is fast. So, I went over the top, perhaps.

Okay, I'll shut up now for awhile. I've got to get back to work.

But I really am excited to move to JC. There are a couple of places to play music in the city, which I wasn't able to attend before. But it looks like I can easily get there and come home at a reasonable time. I am most excited about that.

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/9 20:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
i'll have to agree with 3rdandwild. Relax & give it a chance.

As for reverse commuting, I also do so into Newark and I love it. Its less of a headache than when I used to commute into NY. But just check your schedules, not all NJ transit trains run with the reverse commuter in mind. While there might be 10 trains heading into NYC at rush hour, there may only be 1 or two going the other way at that time.

The first time I went out to an event here in JC was the Cathedral Arts Festival at Grace Church Van Vorst and I made friends that night that I still have today, years later, all ages. Don't limit yourself to an age group for friendship, especially if you are an artist, there is so much fun to be had!!!

I am also a parent of 2 and I take my kids everywhere, restaurants, openings, poetry readings, etc... Don't discriminate, JC is rich with extraordinary people doing cool & interesting things. Enjoy.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 16:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Atushi

To be honest with you, I am kinda tired of reading 20 other threads you started, each in guise of different topics but you are only saying, "I am new here, please be my friend".

No Offense, as you meant no harm by telling us that JC looks like destroyed Hiroshima, but

JUST RELAX!

Move in, live a little. Find a bar or two to hang out.
If you find JC unlikable, make it likable. Do something. If not, just move back to where you are from.

I Love JC for its beauties and flaws, and I am trying to make it even better.

No one here is going to promise you that you would love living here, so grow up and just see it yourself.

Seriously, No Offense.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks people for your advice.
I'm an amateur musician, and I play traditional Irish music. So, when I play music in an Irish pub, it's easy to meet people. But the problem is that most people who play this kind of music are uaually much older than me. Very rarely, I see young kids in their 20's or 30's. So, most of the time, I'm still the youngest kid in the group (I'm 41). It's nice to talk to older and more mature people, yes. But I don't feel that it's appropriate to call up a 65 year old retired person if they want to go to a movie with me nor do I feel that kind of connection with so much older people. Maybe this is because I'm from Japan where the society is very lateral.

Anyway, I would like to make effort to meet people who are close to my age.

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/9 10:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to move to JC next month, and this is going to be the first time for me to live in an urban community.

In suburbs where I had lived pretty much all my life, making new friends at a certain age ranage is very difficult.

Say, age between 30 and 45. People are already married and have young kids. They don't have the time to get out and make new friends, do they?

Anyway, that's what I had observed in suburbs that I lived. I'm hoping that things are a bit different in JC.

So let me ask you this; (if you are 30-45 years old single or married with no children) Do you find it difficult to make new friends with people in this age range?

I'm an amateur musician, and thanks to that, I can meet people very easily. But to be friends and to do something together with people in this age range is very difficult (I'm 41).

Do you find my comment generally true? Or am I crazy?

Atsushi

Do you have any hobbies ? If so join a club the specializes in enhancing you talent. I bike and joined a bike club so there's one way to open yourself up to new people. Living near Manhattan is an advantage along with being in N.J. there are plenty of opportunities abound.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 8:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
working as a bartender in jersey city, i have seen so many people make new friends on a daily basis. it's really something i enjoy seeing actually, and i don't think it will be hard at all. get involved with some of the local events. there are plenty of things to go to where you will meet like minded people.

Posted on: 2008/6/9 8:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going to move to JC next month, and this is going to be the first time for me to live in an urban community.

In suburbs where I had lived pretty much all my life, making new friends at a certain age ranage is very difficult.

Say, age between 30 and 45. People are already married and have young kids. They don't have the time to get out and make new friends, do they?

Anyway, that's what I had observed in suburbs that I lived. I'm hoping that things are a bit different in JC.

So let me ask you this; (if you are 30-45 years old single or married with no children) Do you find it difficult to make new friends with people in this age range?

I'm an amateur musician, and thanks to that, I can meet people very easily. But to be friends and to do something together with people in this age range is very difficult (I'm 41).

Atsushi

I'll venture a guess that announcing your arrival by likening your new home to Hiroshima would turn off any neighbor of yours that has any sense of pride in their home and their community. But you should have no problem finding other self-identifying JChaters among the crowd.

Good luck making friends.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Atsushi

I think you're crazy.

Seriously, there are plenty of child-free people around here, as well as others who may have children but find a way to actually do stuff without them.

If you're a musician, there are so many ways to slip into the scene in JC. Art House is a monthly poetry and music open mic, with world-class guest poets, great local talent and a very easy-going, fun vibe. And they produce plays and do other fun stuff too. The monthly thing starts up again in September or October, not sure which. Check the website. Art House Productions

Relax, and enjoy.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 18:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
If you're into skiing or skating rails, there's a lot of people around town in the 30+ single demographic to make friends with.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 8:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/3 9:01
Group:
Registered Users
I think JC is an easy place to make friends. It is worlds apart from NYC. There is a diverse mix of people that get along quite well. It does not seem to matter what your age, race, sexuality, religion,...is when you meet people. Within a short period of time people here become familiar. If you go to an art opening, you are likely to see people at a restaurant, bar, grocery store,...I have rarely had friends that were younger than me...I always gravitated towards an older crowd, but I have very good friends here that are younger and very mature. As I get older though, I find myself more at restaurants having a beer at the bar and oftentimes having a bit to eat. I find that meeting people at restaurants in general is a good place to meet people outside of the bar scene.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 3:39

Making new friends (with people in a certain age range)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/8 2:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017