Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Horn Honking at the Bergen Avenue and Harrison Avenue Post Office

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/23 4:56
From Take a wild guess
Group:
Registered Users
Fight fire with fire I say! OK, so here is the situation at hand: honk horn--open gate. Now if you can hear the horn(s) from where you are, it stands to reason that they would hear you should you honk a horn. So the obvious solution is

Resized Image

BUY AN AIR HORN!

I would go with the Hella Dual Tone Air-Horn. Now once you have this durable little field unit in your hands, you can do one of two things;

Option 1)Hold this badboy out your window & honk it at your leisure. Somebody in there has to hear these horns to open the gate, right? Well what do you think will happen when they keep opening the gate only to find no one is there? Need I say more?

Option 2)To Hell with practical jokes! The damage has been done! This is war! Stand outside with your airhorn & honk at at any van, car or truck that you suspect is ruining your quality of life. Make them feel your pain!

Of course I must caution you that Hell hath no fury like a disgruntled postal worker but hey, ya do what ya gotta do.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 8:54
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

denimnyc wrote:
I called Mayor Healy's office one day and got one of the people that assist him, I actually got an appointment to see him within a week, but I canceled because I felt that I was not prepared enough with documentation. It was a chance that I lost.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the postal service. They are very much a part of the community but they do not seem to care about the impact of their actions outside of mail delivery.

The list goes on with my frustrations with the post office, but I can only fight one battle at a time. This battle has been 6 long years.

I appreciate everyone that has responded to my problem. I am happy that I own my house, but when I rented downtown, I had a less stressful life.

I can't believe you canceled, sounds like you enough to go on here. But you seem to realize that at this point.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 8:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/3 9:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Some thoughts for what they're worth:

It can't be good for your stress level that you find yourself jumping whenever you hear the horns. Accustom yourself to wearing earplugs.

After six years you know that a system requiring drivers to get out of the truck to ring a bell won't work. Even if Arnold Diaz were to shame them on TV, it would be temporarily enforced, and then everything would revert to horn honking again. Management changes, priorities change and Arnold moves on. The only lasting solution is an automated one, like that gas station pressure sensor that was just suggested.

You should find out if other branches operate differently than your own. You could call or visit some others, or search the internet. I doubt you'd have to wait long at a site to find out. Maybe you would discover one that has already solved the problem after facing community pressure. Even if the solution is only used in Arizona, it establishes a precedent you can refer to. No matter what avenue you take to pressure the USPS for a solution, you want to propose an automated solution, preferably one they already use elsewhere. If the old solution that requires individual compliance and management enforcement is offered, you should insist that this has failed repeatedly and is no solution at all.

If you can make a video demonstrating frequency and volume, you may be able to use that to make your case to the Post Office or the media. If you get no interest from that approach, you can at least post it on YouTube. If it's good enough, maybe it'll go viral and embarrass the USPS. Although I'm not sure that anything embarrasses the USPS.

Thanks for your thoughts. You make valid points. A different approach might yield better results. Obviously my methods had little to no impact.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Some thoughts for what they're worth:

It can't be good for your stress level that you find yourself jumping whenever you hear the horns. Accustom yourself to wearing earplugs.

After six years you know that a system requiring drivers to get out of the truck to ring a bell won't work. Even if Arnold Diaz were to shame them on TV, it would be temporarily enforced, and then everything would revert to horn honking again. Management changes, priorities change and Arnold moves on. The only lasting solution is an automated one, like that gas station pressure sensor that was just suggested.

You should find out if other branches operate differently than your own. You could call or visit some others, or search the internet. I doubt you'd have to wait long at a site to find out. Maybe you would discover one that has already solved the problem after facing community pressure. Even if the solution is only used in Arizona, it establishes a precedent you can refer to. No matter what avenue you take to pressure the USPS for a solution, you want to propose an automated solution, preferably one they already use elsewhere. If the old solution that requires individual compliance and management enforcement is offered, you should insist that this has failed repeatedly and is no solution at all.

If you can make a video demonstrating frequency and volume, you may be able to use that to make your case to the Post Office or the media. If you get no interest from that approach, you can at least post it on YouTube. If it's good enough, maybe it'll go viral and embarrass the USPS. Although I'm not sure that anything embarrasses the USPS.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 3:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Is there a guard that sits nearby? Perhaps one of those systems like they had in gas stations where a bell bings after the trucks run over a hose. It would have to be audible only to the guard so as not to disturb you etc. Or perhaps a CCTV system so that the guard can see the trucks arrive? They are not expensive.

No...there is no guard. But that sounds like a great solution. I will email the station manager with that idea...thanks.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 2:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Get names ! Speak to the postmaster of that particular location. Then keep a accurate log. Be persistent, also get license plates of the trucks or truck numbers. If you can hang around the place and when the tuck beeps their horn try to get a name off their tag while speaking nice to the drivers.

I have also done that too...and i would email the postal supervisor and let them know the truck number and time that i heard the horn beeping. They always say that they will talk to the driver but it never last long.

I have come to the conclusion that the post office here does not know how to coexist in a neighborhood.

I have also made attempts to contact human resources to find out if they have a policy regarding postal worker conduct...but i have not had success.

The other problem is that most people I contact will not even come up to the post office to witness the honking themselves...they sit in their office and make phone calls thinking that will be enough.

I called Mayor Healy's office one day and got one of the people that assist him, I actually got an appointment to see him within a week, but I canceled because I felt that I was not prepared enough with documentation. It was a chance that I lost.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the postal service. They are very much a part of the community but they do not seem to care about the impact of their actions outside of mail delivery.

The list goes on with my frustrations with the post office, but I can only fight one battle at a time. This battle has been 6 long years.

I appreciate everyone that has responded to my problem. I am happy that I own my house, but when I rented downtown, I had a less stressful life.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Is there a guard that sits nearby? Perhaps one of those systems like they had in gas stations where a bell bings after the trucks run over a hose. It would have to be audible only to the guard so as not to disturb you etc. Or perhaps a CCTV system so that the guard can see the trucks arrive? They are not expensive.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Get names ! Speak to the postmaster of that particular location. Then keep a accurate log. Be persistent, also get license plates of the trucks or truck numbers. If you can hang around the place and when the tuck beeps their horn try to get a name off their tag while speaking nice to the drivers.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 0:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm...the gate not to work. You're not suggesting...?

Posted on: 2008/6/7 22:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thought about it before...but have not taken action on that idea. It sucks that something that should be so simple to fix would escalate to involving the media.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

denimnyc wrote:
They have done that, but only when the gate was broken.

The obvious solution is for the gate to not work.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
If you have contacted everyone you say you have (I assume you've included the Mayor's Action Bureau), I propose two actions for you, to be done in tandem. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row, i.e., documentation, etc. Then...

Contact the local EPA. What you're describing sounds like noise pollution. If they agree at all, bring that information to media attention. Start with the Jersey Journal, Channel 1, etc. Move to Star-Ledger and Local WABC, WNBC, WCBS, Channel 9 and 11, even FOX affiliates; these always have a citizen support section.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 21:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely the big trucks have the air horns. The vans and cars do not. You would think in 6 years I would have gotten use to it. In fact, I am paranoid. Every time I hear a horn honking, I am jolted.

I have contacted my councilwoman. As I mentioned, she personally went to the post office to speak to the station manager. It worked for a short time where the honking did subside, but wasn't elliminated all together.

I grew up in New York all my life. And I am no stranger to horn honking, but for the time I have lived here, I have noticed more horn honking coming from the post office than I hear from the general public in cars. And realize it is not a distant horn honking...the horn is practially in my ear...that is how close I am.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Are they use the AIR horns that are installed in big rigs?

Have you contacted your council representative?

Posted on: 2008/6/7 18:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I also tried to explain that for those people honking the horn, they only hear it once when they do it. But since I live right here and at times I am home all day...I hear it 100 times a day from every postal worker that decides to sit on their ass inside their truck, van or car, instead of getting out and ringing the bell that was installed.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 18:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks...but done that too. I have called the 800 number as well as go online just so that my complaints are documented. The only thing they do is contact the post office and tell them to deal with the problem. I have even gotten the post master at the main post office downtown. It was somewhat helpful for a short amount of time, but now it seems like nothing has been done.

I contacted city hall and spoke with several people that have some influence. I even had a councilwoman go directly to the post office. It helped for a short amount of time, but it seems like nothing was done now.

Trust me when I say that I have complained for 6 years. And, in that 6 years I have complained to so many people. I would think that someone in those 6 years would have solved my problem....NOT! Oftentimes when I am at home I just want to sleep in late. Then I hear a worker in a postal truck honk that loud horn. Oh...and don't let some wise ass person behind the wheel play a little horn honking tune. Need I say more?

Posted on: 2008/6/7 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
You might want to try complaining at the corporate level (see USPS numbers below). Or try your local freeholder or council person. If you're that upset, it seems like someone should do something to remedy the situation - and you're probably not the only one impacted by the noise.

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777)

Automated information is available 24 hours per day, seven days a week

Customer Service representatives are available as follows:
o Monday thru Friday: 8:00 AM Eastern Standard Time to 8:30 PM Eastern Standard Time

o Saturday: 8:00 AM Eastern Standard Time to 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

o Sundays and Holidays: Closed

Posted on: 2008/6/7 18:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is obvious that some of these postal workers and rude, inconsiderate, defiant and lazy. I hope that the post office would not employ illiterate people, because obviously they must read to deliver our mail. As I mentioned before, there is a big sign staring them in their face, but they continue to honk their horns. I have even called the JCPD letting them know about the horn honking and reminded them of a city ordiance regarding unnecessary horn honking. Their reply was, they are so busy that they cannot send someone over to the post office to monitor someone honking their horn. They did say that if it happens, call them and they will send someone over, but by the time they get here, the post office worker have already entered and left. Usually they are only there for a few minutes to drop off or pick up the mail. I bet if they were given a ticket and had to pay money, they would not do it because when it hurts them in the pockets, they probably would not honk their horns. But it is hard to get a policeperson over here, and fast enough, to issue a ticket.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 17:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They have done that, but only when the gate was broken. It was the most peaceful time I have had in my house. When I called to the post office supervisor to thank her for solving the problem, that is when she told me the gate was broken. She also said that it will be fixed and the gate will be closed again. She said it is for security, which I can completely understand.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
ask them to leave the gate open during business hours?

Posted on: 2008/6/7 17:28

Horn Honking at the Bergen Avenue and Harrison Avenue Post Office
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I bought a house on Harrison Avenue 6 years ago and from the moment I moved into my house and noticed the constantly annoying horn honking from postal employees entering and exiting the gated parking lot and loading dock area, I complained. A few years ago I complained so much that one of the postal supervisors installed a bell and had a big sign made saying, "Do Not Honk Horn Use Doorbell". It did no good. I still complained because the horn honking continued. I have contacted everyone I could possibly think of with some authority, but the horn honking continues. Why is it that I cannot have peace of mind in my own house? Starting from 6am until the post office close, I hear horn honking. Of course I work most days, but there are times I will work from home, or take a personal day off to get some rest. And I am also home on the weekends. Is it necessary for a postal worker to let everyone know on the block that he or she wants to enter and/or exit the lot? The noise pollution these workers are creating is not fair to the residence of this block. I know that it is more difficult to control the general public from honking their horns, which seldom happens compared to the postal workers, but knowing the postal workers entering and exiting the lot, that should be enough to pinpoint the people causing the noise pollution. I NEED HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM!!! Please suggest what I can do. I am a young guy with 24 more years left to pay off my mortgage. I do not plan on selling my house and moving, so the only thing I can do is to continue complaining. But it is not working. After 6 years, I would think that the problem would have subsided.

Posted on: 2008/6/7 17:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017