Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City and Hiroshima (after the atomic bomb)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
I've always thought that power building in newport looked like something out of Hiroshima:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21207361@N00/122286194/

Posted on: 2008/6/6 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Once again a GREAT JCList thread.

140,000+ people died immediately during the attack on Hiroshima. ONE HUNDRED FORTY THOUSAND. Practically instantaneously. The city was basically wiped off the map.

Countless more died from after effects.

You compare JC to Hiroshima?

I suppose by that measure Bayonne is Dresden?

Posted on: 2008/6/6 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
But I've wondered why so many empty lots have pile of rubbles that remind me of the pictures of the buildings destroyed by the atomic bomb in Hiroshima.

Because Jersey City was hit by two devastating economic attacks.

From about the 1850s to the 1950s, Jersey City was an industrial powerhouse, and it also was the meat locker for New York. (Stockyards filled a lot of the land along the Hudson River.

Then, from the 1940s to the 1970s, because of high labor costs and other costs here, lower costs in other places, and decreased reliance on railroads and and ferries to move freight, a huge percentage of Jersey City's industrial businesses disappeared or moved elsewhere.

Second, it turned out that the wonderful industries that used to be here polluted the land with toxic metals. In many cases, the vacant lots you see are vacant because figuring out to contain, eliminate or pretend you've gotten rid of the toxic waste on the lots is very difficult.

The irony is that, in 1996, when I got here, the fact the old-time factories had poisoned the ground and made it too dangerous for people in made it a safe haven for all kinds of wild plants, rabbits, birds, etc. We had what amounted to a "toxic prairie on the Hudson."

Posted on: 2008/6/6 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The waterfront circa 1982 may have looked a lot like Hiroshima after the bomb, but not so much anymore.

Hiroshima post bomb
Newport at the dawn of redevelopment

Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Please don't get me wrong. I do like Jersey City, and that's why I've decided to move there. But I've wondered why so many empty lots have pile of rubbles that remind me of the pictures of the buildings destroyed by the atomic bomb in Hiroshima. I've taken many trips to JC prior to my decision, and it seems that nothing is being done to these empty lots. Why are things not happening in JC as much as they should?

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi all,

Have you ever thought that there are many places (lots) in Jersey City that strikingly resemble Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped? It's not just one or two places. It's everywhere. It's kind of depressing, isn't it?

Atsushi

I personally can't stand the way the parking lot next to Jordan's Lounge on Newark Ave looks. The bent and dilapidated prison-bar looking fence, the uneven and warped ground commonly puddle strewn with rocks and trash sprinkled all around. Not to mention the damaged old cylcone fence on the other side of the entrance. (The fences are 2 completley different types where they should be uniform and visually match) After a good rainfall the left parking lot forms ponds of water adding to the overall beauty of the of the lot.(I din't even think it's paved) The whole parking area needs an entire facelift!!!

You would think that a city agency would go after them with all their might. But I guess parking tickets and property taxes are more important.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know what Hiroshima looks like. It will be nice if you give a few examples of why you think those two cities resemble.

If you are being sarcastic and making a comparison between JC and Hiroshima right after when it's destroyed....I don't know what to say.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 13:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi all,

Have you ever thought that there are many places (lots) in Jersey City that strikingly resemble Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped? It's not just one or two places. It's everywhere. It's kind of depressing, isn't it?

Atsushi

I personally can't stand the way the parking lot next to Jordan's Lounge on Newark Ave looks. The bent and dilapidated prison-bar looking fence, the uneven and warped ground commonly puddle strewn with rocks and trash sprinkled all around. Not to mention the damaged old cylcone fence on the other side of the entrance. (The fences are 2 completley different types where they should be uniform and visually match) After a good rainfall the left parking lot forms ponds of water adding to the overall beauty of the of the lot.(I din't even think it's paved) The whole parking area needs an entire facelift!!!

Posted on: 2008/6/6 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi all,

Atsushi

I'm glad to see you are getting around, read 5 Finger Discount, you'll understand. Remember we have the tallest building in the state of N.J. one of the highest tax/income brackets in the state, and most of all property taxes that rival Somerset & Bergen counties combined. Hard to believe huh.

Posted on: 2008/6/6 12:06

Jersey City and Hiroshima (after the atomic bomb)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/6/6 11:12

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017