Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City - is there surge in Traffic tickets

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/4 4:35
Group:
Registered Users
Update:
Decided to contest the tickets instead of taking up the plea deal (which was very generous compared to the tickets combined).
Went to court twice and and the matter adjurned for third time as the officer(s) were not present
Court date postponed for June. To compound the agony further - I got notice that i missed the date and hence the fines are being increased - though I was there with my attorney (I know this would be resolved more easily - but it's a pain nevertheless)
I could never imagine what unforseen things like few tickets could do to your psyche. It's more on my mind than my work - albeit worsening economy. Think I'm done with NJ - or JC at least.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 4:35

Re: Jersey City - is there ongoing surge in Traffic tickets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
my guess is a foot patrol LEO witnessed you driving erratically , took down your plates and wrote the tickets. This is perfectly legal. Also, off-duty LEOs can write tickets as well.

You can always contact the court/da before your date to find out how the ticket was written.

Let us know.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 17:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The car details on the ticket are correct (mine) - so dont think i'm scammed by bogus plate.
Also checked with few people - seems cop can ticket for moving violation without stopping (though it sounds strange they wouldnt stop someone for "reckless driving" - a 5 pointer).
Seems like cops do make sure there are no perfect driving records here. No wonder insurance rates in NJ are so high - more specifically in JC.
Since it is my first time (and hopefully last) - I've hired a lawyer - lets see how it goes. I'll post in the outcome here either way it goes.

Posted on: 2008/2/23 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
jc_insomniac wrote:
Not sure if this applies to you, but I remember watching a news story about a man from Brooklyn (or perhaps Queens) who parked anywhere he wanted all over NYC and got away with thousands of dollars' worth of parking tickets.

How? Apparently he used used black electrical tape to change the characters on his license plates. For instance, with a single strip of black tape, he changed "F" to "E" by adding the bottom strip, or "0" to "8" by adding the strip horizontally in the middle.

Many of the victims (those who owned the real license plates) were in your situation: they received the their tickets in the mail and were baffled at how and when they were issued. [quote]
I would google that article or go to the library and search the N.Y. Times microfilm index for proof that you were swindled. However the car who's plate was altered would have to be a different make, model, and color then your's.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 12:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if this applies to you, but I remember watching a news story about a man from Brooklyn (or perhaps Queens) who parked anywhere he wanted all over NYC and got away with thousands of dollars' worth of parking tickets.

How? Apparently he used used black electrical tape to change the characters on his license plates. For instance, with a single strip of black tape, he changed "F" to "E" by adding the bottom strip, or "0" to "8" by adding the strip horizontally in the middle.

Many of the victims (those who owned the real license plates) were in your situation: they received the their tickets in the mail and were baffled at how and when they were issued.

Quote:

journalsq wrote:
I recently got 3 traffic tickets by mail which include 'Reckless driving' and 2 others (11 pointers in all) - location: journal sq - for date end of Jan.
The thing is that I have a clean driving history with no priors and also I've been living and driving in JC for 3 years now. I can safely regard myself as a very safe driver (and this should be a modest comment especially in NJ). Sp safe that I have just a single parking ticket and nothing else.
I was googling for any similar experiences by JC residents recently. Or anyone having exoerience if these tickets could be a mistake (though details therein are correct). I've decided to plead not guilty (of course) and plan to take up a lawyer. Since it's the first time (and hopefully last) I'm quite worked up due to this. Knowing similar experience from any of you guys might help me.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
I just saw a news report about a scam with traffic cameras and bogus plates. Maybe that's it?

Surge on.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm at a loss, go to court and find out how they got you. You might also want to call the number on the ticket and ask why you weren't pulled over at the time. I'm not sure if video alone is enough to nail you for moving violations with points. How can they prove who was driving your car? Very odd - do report back the results.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2008/2/22 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

journalsq wrote:
I wasnt stopped and I guess there's no traffic cameras around at journal sq. There's no one using my car too. The other tickets is of Improper passing and third for not showing signal while turning or stopping.

Btw - to GrovePath - I love cops cracking down on bad driving myself Not so much they doing it themselves - albeit off duty.
PS: Hope you are not a cop.

"Ongoing surge" - not sure if it is grammatically wrong -
"surge" wasnt politically correct for sure

Did you call JCPD and ask how them how the tickets were issued? The Parking Authority doesn't issue moving violation tickets so, why don't you call and ask them what method was used to issue these tickets, please let us know the outcome.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 3:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wasnt stopped and I guess there's no traffic cameras around at journal sq. There's no one using my car too. The other tickets is of Improper passing and third for not showing signal while turning or stopping.

Btw - to GrovePath - I love cops cracking down on bad driving myself Not so much they doing it themselves - albeit off duty.
PS: Hope you are not a cop.

"Ongoing surge" - not sure if it is grammatically wrong -
"surge" wasnt politically correct for sure

Posted on: 2008/2/22 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get it -- you never were pulled over by a cop? They just saw you on video cameras? or what?

Since you are writing here on jclist I assume you do drive in Journal Square -- do others use your car?

In any event I like that cops cracking down on bad driving!

Oh and by the way how long is your wedding ring finger?

Funny Study - click here.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
is it a surge in tickets? or a surge in you driving poorly... and finally getting caught?

Posted on: 2008/2/21 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

journalsq wrote:
I recently got 3 traffic tickets by mail which include 'Reckless driving' ...

"ongoing surge" -- you just got a ticket from Grammar PO RabbitRabbit for poor word choice.

(bump)

Posted on: 2008/2/21 19:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/26 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
If you go City Council meetings, you would see that the city has been accepting State and Federal Grants for all kinds of poilce activity. Last Summer they started an initiative in Rvierview Park catching people who were running the stop sign going into the park. A times they had 10 cars pulled over at once. More recently, the city accepted a Federal Grant to combat Drunk Driving. I bet you start to see a bunch of DWI check points starting up around St. Patricks day.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
you can't have an "ongoing surge." It's either a surge or it is not. If it's ongoing, it's not a surge. It's the norm.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 5:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

journalsq wrote:
I recently got 3 traffic tickets by mail which include 'Reckless driving' and 2 others (11 pointers in all) - location: journal sq - for date end of Jan.
The thing is that I have a clean driving history with no priors and also I've been living and driving in JC for 3 years now. I can safely regard myself as a very safe driver (and this should be a modest comment especially in NJ). Sp safe that I have just a single parking ticket and nothing else.
I was googling for any similar experiences by JC residents recently. Or anyone having exoerience if these tickets could be a mistake (though details therein are correct). I've decided to plead not guilty (of course) and plan to take up a lawyer. Since it's the first time (and hopefully last) I'm quite worked up due to this. Knowing similar experience from any of you guys might help me.
Thanks.

I've never heard of this before. What were the offenses and were you ever physically stopped in your vehicle? I would assume that no one but you, uses your car. And, were you just driving through the Square or did you park in a lot?

Posted on: 2008/2/21 5:12

Jersey City - is there ongoing surge in Traffic tickets

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 5:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017