Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
74 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Westchester Can Wait -- "Jersey City...It is like being on vacation every weekend.”

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/9 19:18
Group:
Registered Users
Appreciate the welcomes. I will def wander North and West, any suggestions or referrals to other boards? I will also avoid squirrel eating at all costs (unless I see a nice little plump one).
Scottacus - I understand what you are saying about Westchester, it can have that suburb monotony fee but there are some great neighborhoods. The trick, of course, is affording those areas.
Vigilate - No hard feelings. I understand some people may get a raw deal in these situations but I would hope the overall population would get a nice boost (new jobs, increase property value, etc.) from the influx of new residents.
"Douche Chills" made me laugh anyway, I've heard it on Howard Stern before. What is if from though?

Posted on: 2008/5/9 19:19

Re: Westchester Can Wait -- "Jersey City...It is like being on vacation every weekend.”
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Welcome. It wasn't you or your lady but the style of writing that gave me "douche chills". I hope you two can enjoy your new adventure as JC residents. I apologize if it felt personal but it was not meant that way. Good Luck. The "push out the poor" types on this site can be pretty awful in their arrogant tone as well.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
+1 on the welcome.

I have equal parts admiration and envy for your ability to purchase a home at such a tender age. good on you! damn, wish I'd done it.

I'm glad more people are taking Jersey City seriously.

oh and hey, we have falcons!
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/peregrinecam/jcp-live.htm

enjoy your new "vacation home." I hope that feeling lingers. and like previous posters have suggested, do wander north and west of the waterfront. lots to discover.

don't eat the squirrels, though. rumor has it they're full of lead.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Another welcome to the neighborhood -- and don't let these people get you down, bud.

I have now lived in 3 cities where there was a lot of development/gentrification (DC, Philly, and JC) and this kind of tension exists in all of them. Many people are afraid or apprehensive of change, some very understandably because they are worried of being priced out of their neighborhood and others because they just like things the way they are. The WORST though are people who move into an area and then immediately become holier-than-thou about preserving the "neighborhood character" they helped to start changing.

I guess some people deal with it by making rather silly personal attacks. As though two people who lived with their parents for years (and were able to save money to buy a home as a result) are on easy street.

BTW I think you'll be happy you chose JC over Westchester. My in-laws live in Westchester and although most of Westchester is honestly very nice, I find the vibe of a lot of towns sort of depressing for some reason. (Maybe if I needed a big house and great schools I would think different.)

Posted on: 2008/5/8 19:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to the neighborhood and congrats on your new home!

If you stick around you'll appreciate the irony -- there are those like the whiner in this thread who (purport to) flat-out oppose gentrification and others who favor it but only on their narrow terms (the only shops "allowed" are those that cater to their demographic).

My wife and I also just moved into a condo here, count us in as people who absolutely love it.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome!

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
...But in an area with as many assets as Downtown JC has to offer, gentrification is inevitable!...

And that is very true!

"Gentrification is a general term for the arrival of wealthier people in an existing urban district, a related increase in rents and property values, and changes in the district's character and culture. The term is often used negatively, suggesting the displacement of poor communities by rich outsiders. But the effects of gentrification are complex and contradictory, and its real impact varies.

Many aspects of the gentrification process are desirable. Who wouldn't want to see reduced crime, new investment in buildings and infrastructure, and increased economic activity in their neighborhoods? Unfortunately, the benefits of these changes are often enjoyed disproportionately by the new arrivals, while the established residents find themselves economically and socially marginalized. "

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2003/flagwa ... ecial_gentrification.html

Posted on: 2008/5/8 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, welcome indeed! There are a group of JC folks who are against gentrification of downtown JC. But in an area with as many assets as Downtown JC has to offer, gentrification is inevitable! This is a great place to live. Again....welcome!

Posted on: 2008/5/8 16:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/9 19:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

si1981ny wrote:
I just came across this board checking out the JCList website. I am actually the guy in the article and I was pretty taken back by people coming right out with the shitty reaction and personal attacks. You try to have a short article written about you without coming off a little corny, I mean I got a little red in the face reading it but to make assumptions about who we are is over the top. And when you move out of your house and familiar surrounds to a new area exploring it does feel a lot like vacation. Checking out restaurants, parks, sites, getting a feel for the people and what the area offers - what do you on vacation?
Also, I really don't know what the definition of yuppie is but if coming from a blue collar family, working hard and saving your ass off to buy a home in a nice neighborhood qualifies me than I am guilty as charged.
I def understand some of the issues raised but formulating an opinion on someone based on next to nothing just sucks. To all those that posted positive messages and have an open mind to new residents I look forward to seeing you around.

Welcome, and ignore the cranky jerks. :)

Posted on: 2008/5/8 15:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/27 19:14
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome si1981ny! I live in Gull's Cove as well and I agree that being a new homeowner here does feel like being on vacation. I cannot believe how negative and angry this thread has gotten.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

si1981ny wrote:
I just came across this board checking out the JCList website. I am actually the guy in the article and I was pretty taken back by people coming right out with the shitty reaction and personal attacks. You try to have a short article written about you without coming off a little corny, I mean I got a little red in the face reading it but to make assumptions about who we are is over the top. And when you move out of your house and familiar surrounds to a new area exploring it does feel a lot like vacation. Checking out restaurants, parks, sites, getting a feel for the people and what the area offers - what do you on vacation?
Also, I really don't know what the definition of yuppie is but if coming from a blue collar family, working hard and saving your ass off to buy a home in a nice neighborhood qualifies me than I am guilty as charged.
I def understand some of the issues raised but formulating an opinion on someone based on next to nothing just sucks. To all those that posted positive messages and have an open mind to new residents I look forward to seeing you around.

We are happy to have more people like you and your girlfriend here. I thought your article was interesting and I wish you the best of luck!

Ignore the haters. It's embarrassing and they do not represent the majority of us. Seriously.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 15:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/9 19:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/5/8 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Keep blamming everyone else instead of looking within.

Look within? at what? Because im expressing an opinion im wrong? I dont care if your tierd of hearing it cause im tierd of hearing why JC needs a whole foods or another starbucks. Its a public forum sorry for using it.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Let me get this right.

Yuppie=good job?

So are we not supposed to grow up and get good jobs? Isn't that what are parents wanted for us?

I was at a function tonight and I was speaking with some long time residents of jersey city and we were discussing some of the long term landlords each who own 30 plus properties. All are what you would say are working class people but they are clearly much more wealthy than these supposed yuppies.

But arn't these so called working class landlords the ones that drove the rents up to fatten their pockets and displace their fellow citizens?

This is a bullshit conversation, the haves and the have nots.

I've been one this board for a couple of months and frankly I'm getting tired listening to the yuppie bashing or as I call it hating on someone with a better job than me. Nobody has a problem with working class people. It's crimminals and thugs we have problems with.

Keep blamming everyone else instead of looking within.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Ok, id like to see you chime in and stop someone when they talk about driving out the lower class. And start crying discrimination. Id bet my bottom dollar it wont happen. PEACE

If I saw it in another thread that I was in Id say something. But I like that we have gone from me questioning why its OK to discriminate against someone based on their income to you implying that Im a hypocrite. Ill be the first to tell anyone Im far from perfect, but I do my best to try and be fair.

Fair enough my friend, im in no way calling you a hypocrite and I didnt mean to focus any negativity towards you rather talking about most in general. It just always seemed to me on this board that the new commers or "wealthy" folk would always be in favor of kicking the people that have been here out and it was never argued or disputed, but the minute the table was turned everyone would get so defensive and play the victim.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
I agree with what your saying tommy. My whole point is I've read many a post where people say drive the low income or working class further and further out till they dont exist here.

First, to its credit, Hoboken does actually have some decent public housing and other types of subsidized housing. So, Hoboken is at least making an effort to help its cooks, secretaries and daycare workers stay in Hoboken.

Second, in the real world, of course, as some neighborhoods gentrify, some low-income people will end up having to move, just as moderate-income people like me might end up having to move, and some high-income people might choose to move. That's life.

But, third, there are great people at all income levels and in all demographic groups. When I go to my daughter's school and see the papers of the second graders in the English as a Second Language class on the hallway walls, and I see the projects of the pre-K children on the walls, they are incredibly beautiful. There are so many different types of parents in this city who have worked and scraped in their own ways to pour so much love and hope into their children that it's awe-inspiring.

And I know that, even with this comment, I'm being unintentionally discriminatory and condescending. Class, race, etc. are such hot button topics here that simply trying to say anything more meaningful than "there's a naked lady in a window on Fourth Street" touches a third rail.

But Jersey City really is the city of the Statue of Liberty, and I disagree with the idea that intentionally chasing low-income residents away would improve my life in any way whatsoever.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
What about the "hipster doofus'"? I've had it with them.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 0:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Ok, id like to see you chime in and stop someone when they talk about driving out the lower class. And start crying discrimination. Id bet my bottom dollar it wont happen. PEACE

If I saw it in another thread that I was in Id say something. But I like that we have gone from me questioning why its OK to discriminate against someone based on their income to you implying that Im a hypocrite. Ill be the first to tell anyone Im far from perfect, but I do my best to try and be fair.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Anonymous wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion, however you are morally and socially lacking for "bashing" someone based solely on their economic status. The dollar figure on someones pay check should have absolutely nothing to do with why you "bash" them...if someone practices illegal activities or shows incredibly poor morals...fine, bash them, but what you are doing is nothing more than ignorant.

If you're suggesting that all that qualifies someone as a "yuppie", whether self-identified or ascribed, is their "economic status", you're either playing coy, or you really don't understand the yuppie phenomenon.

If crushthedemoniac simply had a problem with the rich, I think this would be an entirely different conversation. But there is much distance between "rich" and "yuppie", and this is coming from somebody who many would consider being a yuppie (till they had a conversation with me).

Posted on: 2008/5/8 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/5/7 23:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Hmmm, I agree it does take a bigger man to step back and ignore it but there also comes a time to step up and say what you have to say.

There is never a "time" for discrimination.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Hmmm, I agree it does take a bigger man to step back and ignore it but there also comes a time to step up and say what you have to say.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 22:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
First, I mean the poster by the name of heights not the acctual heights section. Second, how am I wrong for bashing yuppies when im giving my opinion? Im pretty sure I learned in 2nd grade that opinions arnt wrong, yes they are like assholes everyone has one but defenitly not wrong. It seems to me everyone gets all defensive when someone expresses a dislike for yuppies but if theres a low income person bashing its fine, because after all low income= low intelligence right?

Well, I dont recall reading much by a poster named heights, and if I have read things I certainly didnt pay enough attention to what they had to say...for the most part I dont pay much attention to names on this message board, and just because you can prove that someone else is acting poorly does not make it ok for you to do so. Being able to ignore things like that and take the high road is much more appealing to me...someone who can do that is the type of person I want living in my community, regardless of their income.

You are entitled to your opinion, however you are morally and socially lacking for "bashing" someone based solely on their economic status. The dollar figure on someones pay check should have absolutely nothing to do with why you "bash" them...if someone practices illegal activities or shows incredibly poor morals...fine, bash them, but what you are doing is nothing more than ignorant.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is why urban development is a tricky fish to fry. Listen, I have lived Downtown for a few years. So I am still considered a newcomer. But this is my HOME...I'm invested here. I love it!

That being said, I think people who are in a similar situation to me have a tendency to assume (probably rightly so) that most muggings and violent incidents are caused by people of a lower economic status. I don't think that can even be argued. When was the last time you read a newspaper article heading that read: "YUPPIE SLAIN BY RIVAL HIPSTER...GANG ACTIVITY SUSPECTED" ? I mean, truthfully, I've never read an article with that headline. If I did, I would definitely laugh out loud.

Everyone is concerned for their safety, that's all. You're more likely to get mugged by a person of lower economic status...that is very difficult to argue.

That being said, if it floats somebody's boat to be surrounded by people of lesser economic status, there are still a lot of neighborhoods in Jersey City that can provide that kind of atmosphere. Plus, it would be a lower cost of living than Downtown.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I agree with what your saying tommy. My whole point is I've read many a post where people say drive the low income or working class further and further out till they dont exist here. That is what I have a problem with. I cant back it up with specific examples but I assure its been posted if you look back. Also posts where the low income are looked at as the enemy here but the wealthy are the saviours of JC,but immediatly if someone knocks a yuppie /hipster or whatever they want to be called its automatically wrong and and completley out of line. Bottom line is low income or working class does not equate to being a criminal and the way I look at it I personally would rather be amongst them than the type currently moving in.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
LOL.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
which C-word is that?

there are so many good ones...

Posted on: 2008/5/7 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Crushthedemoniac - I think in general more people get away with calling people yuppies than calling people low income scumbags...LOL. But both are wrong and disrespectful.

It's like how no white person can use the N word...but black people call white people the C word all the time and get away with it. A double standard exists...that's why.

Calling somebody a "rich motherf*cker" is just as bad and ignorant as calling somebody a "ghetto gangster motherf*cker".

Posted on: 2008/5/7 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
First, I mean the poster by the name of heights not the acctual heights section. Second, how am I wrong for bashing yuppies when im giving my opinion? Im pretty sure I learned in 2nd grade that opinions arnt wrong, yes they are like assholes everyone has one but defenitly not wrong. It seems to me everyone gets all defensive when someone expresses a dislike for yuppies but if theres a low income person bashing its fine, because after all low income= low intelligence right?

Posted on: 2008/5/7 21:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Uh ok have you read this board? Low income is constantly bashed. If you need an example check out HEIGHTS posts.

Ok, so then two wrongs make a right? I dont read the Heights threads because I dont live there. I could care less how much money someone makes...there are socially correct and incorrect ways to act, and that is what I care about. Someone who doesnt make a lot of money, but bashes someone who does make a lot of money is no different than someone wealthy or well off and bashes those who dont make a lot of money...both individuals are low class and only contribute to making things worse.

Tommy, glad to know that Im not just off my rocker and someone else was thinking the same.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anonymous, I was typing my entry as you wrote that. Bingo...we feel the same way! People often don't realize that discriminatory comments can go both ways.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 20:41

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017