Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hudson Catholic Regional High School is due to CLOSE its doors on June 23
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Best news I heard all week! Great Job! Now, let's keep it open. There's hope yet!

Posted on: 2008/5/8 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Hudson to stay open!

Over $500,000 raised in 2 weeks.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
$45,000 to go. Awesome job by the alumni and those who have donated.

Posted on: 2008/5/3 22:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/10 2:01
Group:
Registered Users
The Hudson Catholic Community needs to raise $400,000 by May 7th and have been advised that we are half way there................

Alumni members would like to invite you to a FUNDRAISING event this coming FRIDAY, May 2 at Grand Banks Cafe in Downtown Jersey City.

FRIDAY, MAY 2, 2008
5:00 PM - 9 pm ( Restaurant/Bar closes at 11pm )
Grand Banks Cafe
Address - 75 Montgomery St, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302 (Corner of Washington Street across from US POST OFFICE)
Telephone - (201) 521-1800

We are asking for a $50 DONATION per person. ( CHECKS PREFFERED ) Members of the Mother Guild will be at the entrance to facilitate handling of proceeds and delivery to the Alumni Association.

We look forward to seeing you there and appreciate your support. Please continue to visit http://helpfulsoul.com/hawks for updates.

Eduardo Pena
Hudson Catholic Alumni- Class of 1990

If you can't make it and would like to contribute, please see below:

Send checks payable to:

Hudson Catholic Alumni Association
Memo Line: SOS

If you are applying for employer matching funds, the check must be made out to:

Hudson Catholic High School
Memo Line: SOS

Address to:

Hudson Catholic High School
Save Our School
790 Bergen Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306-4535

The Association will post and deposit all donations to a sequestered account.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 9:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
*******PLEASE FORWARD TO A HUDSON CATHOLIC GRADUATE AND ANY INDIVIDUAL, SMALL BUSINESS OR CORPORATION INTERESTED IN DONATING TO ASSIST HUDSON CATHOLIC*************

To the HUDSON CATHOLIC FAMILY,

We need to raise approximately $400,000 by MAY 7th.

In support of the ALUMNI ASSOCIATION's efforts to raise funds by May 7th, we've developed a subcommittee of alumni members from the class of 1988 to 1991 to concentrate on raising the initial funds that the ARCHDIOCESE OF NEWARK is requiring.

The subcommittee's main objective is to share information provided by the ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, bridge overlaps and assist the ALUMNI ASSOCIATION with it's communication to the Hudson Catholic community, particularly the ALUMNI from the Class of 1988 to 1991.

We've created a community message board system we can all use and share with others to read messages and post messages. It also allows for file attachments and the ability to be notified by email if someone has made a reply to a post you are interested in "watching." Additionally, we've created a directory of publicity related to the Archdiocese of Newarks plan to close Hudson Catholic and links to websites such as FACEBOOK, HUDSON CATHOLIC MAIN PAGE, OFFICIAL HC ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, YOUTUBE etc. Please see http://www.helpfulsoul.com/hawks

This link is to complement what the ALUMNI ASSOCIATION already has in place and meant to galvanize everyone's efforts, connect the HC community and collectively meet the HUDSON CATHOLIC COMMUNITY's objective raise $400,000 by May 7th.

So if you are from the class of 1988 to class of 1991, below are members of the volunteer team who you can reach out to directly to ask questions or assist to raise funds. We are all donating our time and expertise to get the message to classmates from your respective years. If you are not from any of these classes....it's ok. The message is the same for everyone.......donate and find people to donate.

Ernest Ceberio-1990 - FOCUS ON CLASS OF 1990

Orlando Soler-1991 - FOCUS ON CLASS OF 1991

Marco Poisler-1988 - FOCUS ON CLASS OF 1988

John Caton -1990 FOCUS ON CLASS OF 1990

John Mulkeen- 1989 FOCUS ON CLASS OF 1989

Eduardo Pena-1990 EXTERNAL FOCUS - CORPORATIONS
Joe Pagetta- 1990 EXTERNAL FOCUS - CORPORATIONS

Steve Cappiello-1988 COMMUNICATIONS: Bulletin Board, Weblinks
***Author and current keeper of record

WHAT

Hudson Catholic Alumni Association has a two phase mission to assist Hudson Catholic HS. PHASE ONE will be to raise $400,000 by May 7th and PHASE TWO will be to devise a long term plan for Hudson Catholic to remain open.

Archdiocese of Newark has set a deadline on May 7th, 2008 to raise $400,000. Once we meet that objective, we are required to provide a long term plan to sustain Hudson Catholic operation and preserve its existence.

If we do not raise the money, 790 Bergen Ave will no longer be home to HUDSON CATHOLIC REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL.

WHEN

DONATE NOW.

Deadline is MAY 7th and we've provided a critical path leading to the end date.
Thursday, April 24th - Gather the CORE team
Friday, April 25th- Conference call scheduled for members of Class of 1988 - Class of 1991 who may have questions. Opportunity for dialogue.
Sunday, April 27th-Conference call for CORE team to evaluate feedback, changes etc.
April 26, 27, 28, 29, 30-Fundraising.......
May 1,2, 3,4,5,6-more Fundraising.............continued
May 7 - Wrap up and reconvene
NOTE: CONFERENCE CALL IN # will be provided. Please advise if you have interest.

HOW

All checks should be mailed to Hudson Catholic High School, c/o Alumni Association, 790 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306.

Checks should be made out to the Hudson Catholic Alumni Association with the notation, SOS in the memo field. The Alumni Association is a not-for-profit organization pursuant to Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Alumni Association will keep all donations received for the SOS account in a segregated bank account reserved exclusively for the purpose of saving the school.

For alums who work at large companies, you may want to consider using your company's matching gift program if its available. If you want to use your program, you probably will have to make your check out to Hudson Catholic High School with the notation, SOS in the memo field for your company to match your gift. Each matching gift program is a little different so you should check with your HR department. Checks made out in this way will also be sent aside for the SOS account.

Any questions or if detailed information is needed, please contact Brother Pat King or Alumni Association President, Larry Basinski, address: 790 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, contact number is 201-332-5970 and can be emailed at hudsoncatholicalumni@hotmail.com

Additionally, please visit http://www.helpfulsoul.com/hawks to view the YAHOO GROUP site created by the ALUMNI ASSOCIATION.

Thank you for your consideration and support.

Sincerely,

HAWK ALUMNI

Eduardo Pena, Class of 1990 - Cell Phone # 973.900.2427
Ernest Ceberio, Class of 1990
Joe Pagetta, Class of 1990
John Caton, Class of 1990
Steve Cappiello, Class of 1988
Marco Poisler, Class of 1988
John Mulkeen, Class of 1989
Orlando Soler, Class of 1991

"St. John Baptiste De La Salle Pray for Us, Live Jesus in Our Hearts Forever"

Posted on: 2008/5/1 8:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/2 18:16
From West Bergen
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson Catholic has been my school?s rival (I'm a Prep alumni) for as long as I can remember, but having the school close under such a cloud of mystery (was it really the land?s value, lack of enrollment, because St. Anthony?s needed a gym, etc) is just outright unacceptable!

This school has nurtured a number of the men you see daily in Jersey City, police officers, firefighters, city officials?My point is simple, this school taught their students the value of giving back to their community.

I commend everyone?s effort in trying to keep this school open?and hell if they close whose Prep going to destroy on the Astroturf? (sorry sometimes I just can?t let that rivalry go) = P

Although I?m not as familiar with Prep?s current student population, when I was there (about 15 years ago) Jersey City residents did have the most commanding presence, followed very closely by Bayonne.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
Hmmm, I don't know how many child molestation cases the Newark Archdiocese has had to defend. My anecdotal observations, lead me to believe there haven't been a lot of it mentioned in the papers. Certainly not compared to other dioceses, like Boston, New York or even nearby Patterson. Still I don't know that any money donated by the Nets would be as much as the Archdiocese already has. I have to imagine they put the proceeds from the sale of the original seminary, which was up in Mahwah. Granted that sale was in 1988, but I suspect it was invested. At any rate, while I'm all for conspiracy theories, this element of yours doesn't seem so realistic.

Speaking of Father Hanbury, he was a religion teacher at SHP when I was a student there. I just mention that as a piece of trivia. I haven't actually seen him since I graduated from Seton Hall U. Other than when his picture appears in the Alumni magazine I occasionally receive. I think he may have gone to Hudson Catholic with Father Jack Duran, another Jersey City native.

Quote:

bigfoot216 wrote:

Bob Hurley is the head basketball coach at nationally ranked championship high school team, St. Anthony's Catholic school downtown Jersey City whose reputation is more for basketball than an academic institution - contrary to what it's website might portray. In line with his great basketball team, he has also gathered financial backing from the New Jersey Nets - enough backing to buy the lease for Hudson Catholic so the Archdiocese can focus on the covering up of child molestation allegations rather than the education of it's children.

Fr. Kevin Hanbury was the Director of the Catholic Schools Leadership Program at Seton Hall University. It was the program where I attained my Masters. Ironically, he oversaw the closing of dozens of Catholic schools in our area. He is ALSO a good friend of Bob Hurley.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 1:52

Re: Hudson Catholic Regional High School is due to its doors on June 23
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
It's funny, I long disassociated myself from the Catholic church. But I do feel a little sad to hear about the closing of Hudson Catholic. I went to Seton Hall Prep.. another all boys school run by the Newark Archdiocese. I don't think they're having such a problem with attendance or finances. Of course they have had a good athletic program for a long time, which I suspect draws in students and dollars. Still I have fond memories of my time at SHP and the friendships I made there. Like Croft, I do believe there are some benefits to an all boys or girls school. Of course there are fewer social stresses since you're only there for about 6 hours a day 5 days a week. This leaves plenty of time to socialize with members of the opposite sex. Often these schools have sister and brother schools, hosting socials with each other and inviting the students from the other schools to participate in plays and other activities. Our sister schools were Mary Lawn of the Oranges and Mt. St. Dominic Academy in W. Caldwell. Alas, I digress.

What I don't understand is why the Archdiocese would allow a school to close, while we have so many churches so close to each other downtown. Without being intimately familiar with the finances, I would suspect there would be a way of streamlining the parishes and aligning them with the schools to help keep the financial house in order and cultivate the area where the church could actually serve the people.

Hudson Catholic seems to be a decent school. I had some college classmates from there. I hope things work out.

But a few years before I started SHP, (1978) St. Benedict's Prep. had closed. But it reopened about 10 years after it closed. So perhaps there's hope for Hudson Catholic. Maybe someone should speak to the development people at St. Benedict's to get some ideas as to how they raised the money to reopen.

Well my sympathies to the Hudson Catholic Alum and students.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
It goes beyond prayer. It goes to a safe environment where there are educational standards. In Jersey City, it is the only option for true middle-class families to send their sons and daughters where they can learn, become good citizens and give back to the City we are all trying so hard to make a better place. Not every student can get into McNair and while Prep is a great school, the student population from JC is a relatively small number.

If you are truly interested in helping make JC a better place where families can put down roots and make a life here, supporting this cause can go a long way.

Please do what you can.

Again:

Make your check payable to Hudson Catholic High School and in the memo section on your check, write "S.O.S (save our school)". Address to Hudson Catholic High School, 790 Bergen Ave., Jersey City, NJ 07306 ATTN: ALUMNI OFFICE.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 0:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think it is very sad that the city, and others are changing so much. And, catholic schools are closing. Catholic families are being forced to send their children to public schools, where they can not pray at the start of the school day. For those of you that may respond "so, what". Maybe some public schools should close, where the only option is for its children to attend catholic education. It just seems that the values this country was founded on are being taken away at a drastic pace.

Posted on: 2008/4/24 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Please, please, please....

Go to the link and sign the petition. You may not need this school now, but you may in the future.

Help keep open another option for families who don't want to have to move away from Jersey City for a decent education.

This includes many downtown families including mine that are just like you.

Please help. Thank you.

Save Hudson Catholic Petition...

Petition signed and my pleasure to bump this thread back up top!

Posted on: 2008/4/24 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
As of today, April 24, the alumni have 3 weeks to raise $400,000.

Those of you who can, PLEASE donate whatever you feel you can.

Make your check payable to Hudson Catholic High School and in the memo section on your check, write "S.O.S (save our school)". Address to Hudson Catholic High School, 790 Bergen Ave., Jersey City, NJ 07306 ATTN: ALUMNI OFFICE.

Together, the masses can save what a few cannot.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2008/4/24 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Sent to me....

To challenge the closure, the Alumni Association along with Parents associations have established meeting times next week to discuss this event. We'd like to forward invitations to the two meetings scheduled this week and ask that you take notice of the event taking place in Jersey City, NJ. ( SEE EMAIL FROM LARRY BASINSKI BELOW)

Wednesday, April 23 at 7:00 PM
Meeting for HC ALUMNI
Hudson Catholic Library
Larry Basinsky, Class of 1970

This is important to many of us and ask that you assist by either attending or sharing with others that this is taking place. Thank you for taking the time to read and look forward to your support.

If there are any questions, please forward directly to hudsoncatholicalumni@hotmail.com and the Alumni Association will respond appropriately.

Sincerely,

Members of Class of 1990

Posted on: 2008/4/22 6:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
bump.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Please, please, please....

Go to the link and sign the petition. You may not need this school now, but you may in the future.

Help keep open another option for families who don't want to have to move away from Jersey City for a decent education.

This includes many downtown families including mine that are just like you.

Please help. Thank you.

Save Hudson Catholic Petition...

Posted on: 2008/4/21 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
Yeah, I think many could say how somebody coulda, shoulda, woulda, but the bottom line is that the demographics of the city have changed so much, and there just aren't enough families who want to send their kids to catholic schools.

So sad. When I was a teenager in the early eighties there was a whole network of different local Catholic high schools. THere was always a dance or a game to go to on the weekends. Now there are only a handful of schools......makes the socialization limited.

I hope St. Dom's and PREP can continue to hold out. I too went to St. Dom's and had a great experience. I would love for my daughters to go there.

Better keep sending those checks to the annual alumnae fund.

Prep still attracts students state wide it's the academic nature of that school. The students emulate their fathers when they get off the train and head to Prep as their elder counter parts go straight to Wall Street. I went to a Catholic high school as well in the late 70's early 80's and that was the safest alternative to public high school. There were more families of the same cut of cloth back then and more resident home owners. Everyone knew each other today there is such a cornicopia of cultures here that it may take decades for the new sect to immerse with each other. Today you don't have to be a Catholic to go to these schools and they are opting for chater schools & regular public schools. Maybe there's hope yet.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I think many could say how somebody coulda, shoulda, woulda, but the bottom line is that the demographics of the city have changed so much, and there just aren't enough families who want to send their kids to catholic schools.

So sad. When I was a teenager in the early eighties there was a whole network of different local Catholic high schools. THere was always a dance or a game to go to on the weekends. Now there are only a handful of schools......makes the socialization limited.

I hope St. Dom's and PREP can continue to hold out. I too went to St. Dom's and had a great experience. I would love for my daughters to go there.

Better keep sending those checks to the annual alumnae fund.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 15:08
Group:
Banned
None of the above sounds implausible in the least. But how few students is too few? The incoming class would have been 65 students. I think less than 45 students had enrolled at Caritas. How does woefully low enrollment figure into the big conspiracy?

Posted on: 2008/4/18 3:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/10 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson Catholic's facility is no longer a part of the community of Hudson Catholic. We can thank the Archdiocese of Newark and the Board of St. Anthony's for that.

A little education about the players:

Bob Hurley is the head basketball coach at nationally ranked championship high school team, St. Anthony's Catholic school downtown Jersey City whose reputation is more for basketball than an academic institution - contrary to what it's website might portray. In line with his great basketball team, he has also gathered financial backing from the New Jersey Nets - enough backing to buy the lease for Hudson Catholic so the Archdiocese can focus on the covering up of child molestation allegations rather than the education of it's children.

Fr. Kevin Hanbury was the Director of the Catholic Schools Leadership Program at Seton Hall University. It was the program where I attained my Masters. Ironically, he oversaw the closing of dozens of Catholic schools in our area. He is ALSO a good friend of Bob Hurley.

John O'Neill is former de La Salle Christan Brother and principal of Hudson Catholic who now sits in the Archdiocesan office in Newark. Oh - he also sits on the board of directors at St. Anthony's.

It does not take a genius to see where this was all headed when poor Bob Hurley looked at his winning team and his horrible facility. Just knock on the Archdiocesan door and call in a favor.

We must move forward, but expose the players.

I dedicated 9 years of my life as student and teacher at Hudson Catholic. It is a very special place, especially to the boys it educates. The teachers there are dedicated to the children entrusted to their care - that is why they have all remained with Hudson and it's mission. After reading all the comments against the closing of Hudson, I am disheartened by the dialogue and wonder why many of you do not see that the Archdiocese, who is supposedly in favor of the education of it's Catholic children have, once again, closed yet another Catholic school?

I was a big proponent of Dr. Ward. Intelligent man; worked for the Archdiocese of New York; taught me school law at Seton Hall. I even argued for him when he was up for the Presidency. How wrong I was. Dr. Ward: Why did you not let the alumni know? You knew about this for two years and said nothing. No capital plan. No solicitation to the association. You let me down.

There is also the element of union-busting that cannot escape us. I am a teacher and realize the power of the union. So does the Archdiocese. To eliminate Hudson Catholic would mean eliminating collective bargaining. St. Anthony's does not have a union: tuition is low, teacher salaries even lower.

Hudson was a place I called home for nine years and visited often. Sure the demographic evolved, administration changed, teachers moved on, but I was always welcomed to comeback to the Hawks' Nest. Now I can't say that for myself or the 4000+ alumni who have walked the hallowed halls of the glorious and bold. Where is the Catholicity in this?"

Written by a former teacher at Hudson Catholic,
Mr. Miguel

Posted on: 2008/4/18 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Is it any wonder these schools are losing students? What parent in their right mind would send their child to an all-boys Catholic school these days? That's just asking for trouble.

actually, i went to st dominic academy, down the block. my brother was a product of hudson catholic... the all girl or all boy thing isn't as bad as one may think. it keeps your focus on growing as an individual. after school, the hudson boys would be waiting at our front steps as we would rush over to hudson catholic and take the bus from their stop. everyone still got to mingle with each other, but at an appropriate time. the level of education was far more focused and there is a certain tradition that gets carried on throughout your life from these schools. to have that tradition robbed away, it could be heartbreaking. if st. doms ever closes, i will probably be very upset. it was an amazing school, and hardly anyone ever looks back and said they hated hudson catholic or any of these non-co ed catholic schools here unless you're on the outside looking in...just like i would never bash a public school because i've never been able to experience a public school where i felt at home.

as for caritas academy, i didn't know they were folding already...seems like they just went from sacred heart and st. als to caritas to save the school. and holy family....looks like doms will have a huge enrollment until people can no longer afford the schools.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

redd5 wrote:
i wonder how much the fact that hudson is sitting on some prime real estate, factors into the situation to close the school?? my guess is thats why the school's closing!

Come to think of it, since the Archdiocese is strapped for cash,this sale would definatley help out....

CK

Posted on: 2008/4/17 19:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/18 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
i wonder how much the fact that hudson is sitting on some prime real estate, factors into the situation to close the school?? my guess is thats why the school's closing!

Posted on: 2008/4/17 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Blame it on a very poor and lax Fund raising dept at HC
had they been really proactive this could of all been avoided.

Also,seems to me that HC had lowered it's standards in the past years with regards to student enrollment, etc.

What a shame, school went from a Huge enrollment in the 80's to such a decline......

I'll miss it.

CK

Posted on: 2008/4/17 17:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
This is so very disappointing. St. Al's High. St. Al's Academy (Caritas) and now Hudson? Mr. Hurley is right...This is a dark day for Catholic Education in JC. But, praise to him for passing on the big money and keeping St. Anthony's alive! I feel for parents of High School age-kids living in JC. ...Where will they go? It's also another question to consider personally.....Where will my son go in 13 years? Where will all of the little ones downtown go in 13 years??? Prep & St. Doms cannot take all of them.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Is it any wonder these schools are losing students? What parent in their right mind would send their child to an all-boys Catholic school these days? That's just asking for trouble.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 15:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Rally on this friday in Journal Square at 3:30PM, for those supporters of private school eduction in Jersey City. Hudson Catholic is not the only school this is happening to also Caritas and Holy Family are due to close at the end of this year.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 13:47

Hudson Catholic Regional High School is due to its doors on June 23

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson Catholic Regional High School in Jersey City will close at the end of this school year, a spokesman for the Archdiocese of Newark confirmed last night.

The all-boys school on Bergen Avenue had just 65 incoming freshmen and was operating at a deficit of $650,000, said the spokesman, Jim Goodness.

"The unfortunate reality is that enrollment has continued to drop even beyond what we anticipated," said Goodness. "It's an extremely sad situation. This is not something we wanted to happen."

Goodness said the school, which will officially shut its doors on June 30, currently has "a little over 400" students but would have had a student body of 312 in September. It will graduate 130 this year, he said. It was founded in 1964.

Goodness said faculty members will be given severance packages and allowed to apply to other Archdiocese schools as "priority" applicants. Other area Catholic schools will be asked to absorb some of Hudson Catholic's former students, he said.

The school's president, Paul Ward, said yesterday that he had met with faculty members and students were sent home with letters announcing a special assembly to be held Monday. He also said letters were mailed last night informing parents of the closure.

"I'd rather not go into more details," Ward said.

News of the closing comes on the heels of other Catholic school mergers and closings in Hudson County in recent years.

"It's a dark day for Catholic education in the city," said Bob Hurley, the Jersey City recreation director and the basketball coach at St. Anthony High School. "My feelings about this are terrible. It's another tragic sign of the decline of Catholic education."

The four current Catholic elementary schools in Bayonne will merge into one next year.

Journal staff write Ned Winner contributed to this report.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 13:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017