Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Morris Canal basin development?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
If its east of Jersey Avenue, it is part of Liberty Harbor North. From the photo it looks as though its probably part of phase II or III. The master plan for LHN was created by Duany Plater Zyberk and is available here.

DPZ I believe simply created the rubric for other architects, essentially a building code, and the individual lots are being designed by other firms. The LHN master plan essentially calls for a steady increase in height as the buildings move towards the canal, with the southern most towers in the 35 story range. At present, construction is as far as 8 to 10 story buildings (The Sutton, the Lofts, Building 3). South of the light rail line will probably be 12 to 18 stories, and so on.

Posted on: 2008/4/30 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Although I have no idea what is specifically planned for this site, I am fairly certain that it is part of the Liberty Harbor North project.

If I am correct in that, then the entire Morris Canal waterfront is slated for highrises.

Google Liberty Harbor North and you can find renderings and master plans online.

Like these:

http://www.dpz.com/project.aspx?Proje ... Name=Liberty+Harbor+North

http://www.jcedc.org/new/libertyharbornorthresidential.html

Posted on: 2008/4/30 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
This is what started me on the subject... The first image is from two snaps taken July of '07 that weren't intended to be merged, but it gets the idea across. (The top of the pile is matched, but the foreground is wrong.) Photobucket And this is a fisheye photo from last Saturday, April 26th Photobucket

Posted on: 2008/4/30 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
You are right that it is probably going to be condos. There are a few projects in this area. I think that site is for this new condo development:
http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=project-details&pid=7

Thanks for the links.

Three 30-story buildings apparently. No surprise given the trend.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
You are right that it is probably going to be condos. There are a few projects in this area. I think that site is for this new condo development:
http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=project-details&pid=7

There is also a project to restore the "creek" west of the footbridge:
http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=project-details&pid=9

There is also a public parking garage for the hospital and school going up in this area. It will probably be needed once the big parking lot at Grand and Jersey is replaced with more condos. http://www.thejcra.org/index.php?p=project-details&pid=8

Posted on: 2008/4/29 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Is this the Hugo Neu building? If so: I guess the building is probably way too polluted to be re-used, but it's a little sad to think of it being torn down.

That's the one. I gather Hugo Neu sold it to, or partnered with Sims Metal in the last few years? The art deco stainless steel details on the facade are nice, it's a shame to see them become scrap metal themselves.

I don't think pollution is the issue although the soil underneath might be a different story! Who knows. I think it's more a matter of it being past its expected life and not fitting into the developer's plans. I can't imagine anything other than a high-rise there, with the view of the park, marina, and NY skyline as major selling points.

I'm kinda sad and conflicted about the whole thing, even the mountains of rusting metal and pools of neon green water (under good lighting conditions, they were interesting photo ops).

Jerseyboy - It's at the very southern end of Jersey Ave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Canal

Posted on: 2008/4/29 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Is there a petition we can sign that prohibits anything being built there that begins with the word luxury. For the love of God put something useful to the average working class folk. Instead of trying to push them out. PEACE

Posted on: 2008/4/29 19:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/19 10:30
Group:
Registered Users
where is this?

Posted on: 2008/4/29 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
The old building (circa 1938) is coming down as well, if it hasn't already.

Is this the Hugo Neu building? If so: I guess the building is probably way too polluted to be re-used, but it's a little sad to think of it being torn down.

Posted on: 2008/4/29 18:36

Morris Canal basin development?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For those who don't walk by it and didn't notice, the Sims Metal scrap yard is no more. The piles of rusting metal have been reduced to a tract of dirt and mud in the space of a few weeks. Talking to some of the guys who work there, they're supposed to be out by the 30th. The old building (circa 1938) is coming down as well, if it hasn't already.

Where can I find out about the land development that'll be taking place there? They're establishing a protected estuary, right? ;)

Or yet another dreadful high rise?

Posted on: 2008/4/29 18:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017