Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Big Drum Framing/Deck the Walls in Newport Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

manson76 wrote:
Of course they were always pleasant to the customers. How else would you keep customers? Behind the scenes wasn't always so nice so you weren't there to know and they do NOT treat the staff the same as customers

I tell you everything in that place is marked up by about %300.

the one hour framing that would cost $50 only cost them about $8 and I know because employees got the wholesale price sometimes.
Tell me that customers aren't being ripped off in that store? The work was always well put together, but still highly overpriced. I'm sure that now they are in the art district the prices are going to be even higher.

They are not a franchise anymore since they became Big Drum

I've worked on the manufacturing side of large and small businesses and I've seen what the Cost of Goods are for many types of products. Many businesses have high mark-ups, retail stores, opticians and funeral homes have at least a 100% or higher mark-up. Many places couldn't stay in business without this kind of return, its not all pure profit, rent insurance, staff salaries etc. need to be factored in.

Posted on: 2008/4/28 0:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/6 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
Of course they were always pleasant to the customers. How else would you keep customers? Behind the scenes wasn't always so nice so you weren't there to know and they do NOT treat the staff the same as customers

I tell you everything in that place is marked up by about %300.

the one hour framing that would cost $50 only cost them about $8 and I know because employees got the wholesale price sometimes.
Tell me that customers aren't being ripped off in that store? The work was always well put together, but still highly overpriced. I'm sure that now they are in the art district the prices are going to be even higher.

They are not a franchise anymore since they became Big Drum

Posted on: 2008/4/28 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, this is probably a franchise situation where corporate dictates interior design, etc. In my view it looks very slapdash and certainly will not appeal to most of the residents moving into that area. Unless they do a lot of web-sales with their cheap framed prints and framing for multiple locations I give them less than a year.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 21:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
I have gotten many, many framing jobs done by Big Drum in the mall and love the owners. I hope they have great success in their new location. I can\'t recommend them highly enough. I have used them for small personal jobs and large corporate jobs and have been greatly satisfied with the results every time. Their recommendations are fantastic. I\'m sure they will have more flexibility business-wise for display pieces in their new location than they did in the mall. They are so friendly and so wonderful to work with, very helpful and always mindful of your price point. They were always so patient with me while I asked to look at frame sample after frame sample after frame sample and would explain all the different options for matting and materials to me. I even brought in a damaged print and they did such a fantastic job with it. I\'ve used them for everything - cheap posters, limited edition prints and objects that needed shadow boxes. I\'ve used them very successfully with pieces that I had to have framed for CEOs of companies.

Oh, and this is not a shill post. I really am just a very statisfied customer who wants to spread the word and recommend them. JC List is always looking for business recommendations, even though we spend more time complaining, usually.

I'm sorry to read a post calling them 'idiots'. What's important here? Agreeing with their business choices for display pieces or getting your framing job done right by people you like? And suppporting a family-owned, local business?

Posted on: 2008/4/27 15:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Believe me I know! I used to work there . That's why I was curious what had happened to them. The two owners were always like that. It was difficult to get them to see there are other interesting prints to hang up besides the typical crap. They don't listen to reason and they are idiots...main reason why I quit.

Posted on: 2008/4/27 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Having a frame shop in an 'art district' makes sense I suppose. However, why they feel the need to decorate every square inch of their walls with the most typical and unoriginal prints we have all seen for the last 30 years is a mystery to me. Who is really buying all those Marilyn Monroe and Starry Night prints anyways?

Posted on: 2008/4/27 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
They moved to First Street.

Bigdrum Too
127 First Street
Power House Art District
Jersey City, NJ 07302
201-418-8771

http://www.bigdrumart.com

Posted on: 2008/4/26 16:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/10 1:35
Group:
Registered Users
I think BigDrum moved into the 140 Bay Street building, right behind where Dash Interiors used to be. The entrance to BigDrum is on the corner of First and (I think) Provost.

Posted on: 2008/4/26 16:49

Big Drum Framing/Deck the Walls in Newport Mall

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I used to get my stuff framed at this store in the Newport Mall. Does anyone know why it closed??? Did they move somewhere else or just go out of business?

Posted on: 2008/4/26 16:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017