Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

Re: Vet and Pet Emergency Room in/near JC Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you, people for the info. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your pets. My cat is doing well, but just in case something does happen, I want to be prepared. So, the information will be stored in my pet emergency kit.

Thanks!

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/7/21 15:42

Re: Vet and Pet Emergency Room in/near JC Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
We have been very happy with Hoboken Animal Hospital for the past 10 years. On July 5th we had an emergency - one of our two dear cats Owen had a stroke during the day - since it was the July 4th weekend they were closed and sent us to Ridgefield NJ with him. We lost Owen that night, but the doctors at Ridgefield were very very caring to us and to Owen.

Posted on: 2008/7/21 15:31

Vet and Pet Emergency Room in/near JC Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

In or near Jersey City Downtown, is there a good vet? Also, if there should be a pet medical emergency, where is the nearest animal emergency room?

Thanks in advance.

Atsushi

Posted on: 2008/7/21 15:16

Re: Local Veterinarian
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The thinking these days is the annual vaccination is more detrimental to the animals than what was once thought. Vets will tell you every year is a must but the companies that make the vaccines don't know how long the vaccine lasts once given so the protocol was well - just give it once a year.

In cats vets are finding cancer sarcomas at the site of the injection so that is also a good reason to change to every 3 years.

Morale - do your research. There's a ton of info on the net.

Don't rush to do the annual vaccination.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 23:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/26 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
Check out http://lmp.luvmypet.com/lmp/index.htm (low-cost vaccinations given by vets at local Petco stores)

Also, Friends of Animals sells certificates for neutering/spading redeemable at local vet offices. I purchased a certificate from them and used it for my dog's procedure at the Animal Hospital in Jersey City and saved a lot of $$ for the same procedure I would have gotten without the certificate. Here is a link to their webstie: http://www.friendsofanimals.org/

Posted on: 2008/5/7 15:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/30 16:58
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone tell me what the various vets charge around here for a dog's annual and/or vaccines? My dog doesn't have any health problems, so I am slightly more interested in cost than quality of care / having questions answered (I have a vet that I would use for serious issues, but they are not in Jersey City).

Posted on: 2008/5/7 3:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 15:02
From Hancock Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Don't get me wrong, Dr. Tudor performed a successful surgery on my other cat in 2005 @ the Hoboken office. They just seem to charge a lot of $, and to want you to spend, spend, spend more when you're there. Like the mechanic who finds 12 other things wrong with your car when you bring it in for an oil change...

Posted on: 2008/4/8 4:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
I was going to bring my new cat over to 1st Street even though I was skeptical because it's Dr. Tudor (or his son) from Bayonne....But, it is convenient. Then, I was told how much he charges...So, I went back to my old standby on Westside. They're still wonderful after 20 years since my last pet....

Posted on: 2008/4/2 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
First Street is convenient, but that's all. My friend took her very sweet-tempered, gentle cat there, and it was traumatized by their cold treatment. Never again.

Posted on: 2008/4/2 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Many of us here sing the praises JC Animal Hospital on Westside Ave. I use Dr Thornton for my Akita.

For anyone who doesn't have a car, JC has "Critter Cab".

Posted on: 2008/3/31 2:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 15:02
From Hancock Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I have a 5 yr old cat that had some loose + decaying teeth. This was discovered during a routine checkup at the Hoboken Animal Infirmary on Adams St., where I have been going for 4 yrs. I took her to the Jersey City Animal Hospital on Westside Ave for a 2nd opinion, and the results might surprise you:

Hoboken Animal Infirmary: Advised that I have all four teeth pulled because one is rotting, one is loose, and the other two are decaying. This procedure would require that I put the cat under anesthesia and it would cost $450-$550. There is a flat fee to have any dental surgery + they charge per tooth. The vet could not tell me why the cat's teeth are in such bad shape.

JC Animal Hosp. on Westside Ave: Was informed that the cat has gingivitus and thus her gums had significant inflammation. A round of antibiotics were prescribed for the inflammation. The vet said that the loose tooth will eventually fall out on its own. One was so loose that he took it out of her mouth with his two fingers on the spot. Cost for visit + meds: $61, and they asked that I bring the cat back for a followup in 3 weeks. I asked if she might eventually need the teeth pulled and they said NO that they would hate to put the cat under anesthesia unless absolutely necessary and that it should be a last resort.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 2:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:24
Group:
Registered Users
Bayonne Animal Clinic
201-437-6666
Ask for Dr. Frezzo. The wait is usually long because he takes his time with each and every patient. There is none better than Dr. Frezzo.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 15:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
I also lost my cat to cancer. She developed a tumor right where she got her rabies vaccination. We had a backyard at the time, so I had her vaccinated every year, but there's no reason for indoor cats to get them annually.

I go to the Cat Practice in Manhattan on 5th & 20th. My current cat gets a bit vocal on the path train, but it's worth it in my opinion. I've been going there for nearly 2 decades, and I recommend them to all cat owners.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 13:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I have tried different vets. I thought both Hoboken hospitals way overpriced, although the one on Washington and 7th is one of only two animal hospitals in Hudson County with emergency hours. (The second is Ambassador on 36th and Kennedy Blvd. in UC). Secaucus has an amazing staff. Their front desk alone makes it almost worth the price but once I moved to the east side of the Heights, it became difficult to get there without a car. For a number of years I used Dr. Kim at the UC Animal Clinic. The prices are the most reasonable in Hudson County. However, when he first opened, he used to be open til 7:30 several nights a week. Now, his weekday hours are 9:30 to 5. In addition, I feel that he is less attentive and observant than in the past. I now use the JC Animal Clinic on Westside Avenue. I generally use Critter Cab (201) 963-6944. She will take you there, wait for you and take you back. Fee is $20. When she is unavailable, I put my cat in a carrier, take the 99S or 10 from Central Avenue to Kennedy Blvd and walk a block. I like Dr. Thornton.

I lost a senior cat to that same cancer a few years back. I was still going to Dr. Kim, who gave me as much time as I needed with Brandy after she died. It was a hard experience. I was petting her as he administered the second shot but she stayed up and responsive. He told me that she was staying alive for me and he was right. As soon as I stopped stroking her, she died.

For those of you who have either lost a beloved pet or are steeling yourself, Liberty Humane holds free Pet Loss Sessions the first Tuesday of every month. I have not attended yet. although I should, as I have several senior cats who are failing. I do know someone who attended. She says it is run by a psychologist and that the woman is marvelous.

I would love to use one of my pets as my avatar. However, I have been unable to reduce photos to the required 150 x 150 pixels. The closest I get is 160.

And it is always good to be careful about vaccinating your pet yearly. You can get a titer test, which will determine if your cat or dog truly needs a vaccination.

Posted on: 2008/1/9 0:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I saw Dr. Acosta at the place on West Side Avenue last weekend, and I thought she was pretty helpful. Ended up getting my guy rabies & distemper vaccines, and also some cream for his runny eye. Price wasn't bad (about 100 bucks total w/ the 15% internet discount).

Posted on: 2008/1/8 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Since I do cat rescue in JC I have used all the area vets including Dr. Rich on Wash. in Hoboken and Dr. Kim in Union city but Westside gets my vote lately.

All cats need to be vaccinated for Panleukopenia (distemper), Calici Virus, Rhinotrachetis, and Chlyamedia.

They do not need vaccinations for Leukemia unless they are sharing food bowls with a FeLV+ cat. Nor do they need an FIV shot. That is passed cat to cat through deep bite wounds.

Try to get away with NOT getting a rabies shot unless you let your cat outdoors. ANd if you live in JC you should NOT be letting your cat outdoors! No need to explain why.

Vets are in business to make money. And they make money each year when you come in for the routine and unneccesary annual vaccination. The thinking these days is we are over vaccinating our pets. (The pharmaceutical companies that make the vaccines have not done any clinical study to show how long the vaccines are effective so they typically say to just do it every year and the vets comply with that recommendation.) Every three years is more the current thinking.

Also it is occuring more frequently that cats are getting sarcoma cancer at the site of the vaccine injection. So the saying holds true - less is more.

Posted on: 2007/12/4 2:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
We took in a stray last year and since have made a number of trips to Downtown Vets. We are happy customers, and the cat is very healthy, too.

Posted on: 2007/12/3 18:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/14 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Is the general consensus here still that the animal hospital on West Side is better than the place downtown on 1st st?

I take my dogs to Jersey City Animal Hosptial on Westside. I like them and they are a little cheaper than the Vet downtown.

Quote:
Also, I was just going to take a cab from downtown to the animal hospital (no car). I'm unfamiliar with the West Side Ave area - will I be able to find a cab home on the street or will I need to call one in advance?

You will need to call a cab or they can call one for you at the vet. They've called a cab for me before.

Posted on: 2007/12/3 17:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 15:38
From harsimus cove
Group:
Registered Users
We use downtown veterinary for our cat, and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. I've had about three different doctors over the years, and they were all lovely, called to follow up, did their best to comfort my vet-phobic cat. The staff and techs are just as great.

Posted on: 2007/12/3 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Animal Infirmary of Hoboken and Downtown Veterinary in Jersey City (on 1st) are both run by Dr. Tudor, who is awesome.

I've been bringing my crowd to him - at both locations - for nearly 4 years. They give great medical care for very reasonable fees.

He has a huge staff of vets who circulate among all three practices (there's another in Bayonne), so you may not always get the same vet each visit. That's the only downside I've ever encountered there.

Downtown vet is close to the Grove Street Path (and cab stand).

I've also had a lousy experience at the one on Washington Street in Hoboken, and would never go back there. That place is steadily building a bad reputation among Hudson County pet owners.

Congratulations on your new addition.

Posted on: 2007/12/3 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i've used Animal Infirmary of Hoboken for a decade, and have always had great service, attention...600 Adams Street Hoboken, New Jersey 07030..(201) 216-5777

i also used Hoboken Animal Hospital on Washington in hoboken a few times years ago, and had very bad service...

Posted on: 2007/12/3 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is the general consensus here still that the animal hospital on West Side is better than the place downtown on 1st st?

I'm adopting a cat, & bringing him home in about two weeks. He's already neutered & up to date on shots, I would just like to bring him in to make sure he's not sick, & also to discuss his care with someone (he'll be my first cat).

Also, I was just going to take a cab from downtown to the animal hospital (no car). I'm unfamiliar with the West Side Ave area - will I be able to find a cab home on the street or will I need to call one in advance?

Thanks for any help, I'm also open to other close by vet options, if you have another place to recomend. Also, if anyone knows of any good websites (or other resources) on cat care, let me know!

Posted on: 2007/12/3 14:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
It has.

I'm gonna go puke now.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 19:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
I am not an expert on this - but I don't think the vet can notice worms unless they do a test...I only knew my cat had worms because there were sesame-seed-like white things on her bed...I didn't know what they were but found out they are actually segments of the worm which break off and fall out of their anus. I have heard of people seeing the actually live worm sticking part of itself out of the anus. I told the vet about the sesame seed things and they just said, "yep, it's worms" and gave me medicine. they asked if I wanted to test her to be more sure - but I said no.

the butt gland thing, the vet actually questioned...he said - it's more likely that she just doesn't clean herself properly b/c of her weight(she was a little dirty back there)...he said he doesn't see many cats with that problem, but more dogs. and then he said he would check to be sure. he squeezed her anal sacs and one of them squirted out tons of stuff. nasty. so, surprised, he said that was indeed what it was. she got some medicine and now she hasn't dragged it in over two days.

I hope my disgusting post has clarified things in your life!

Posted on: 2007/10/11 19:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, it does.

I can rule out the overweight thing.

As for the other two- I had her in the vet about a month ago. I recently aquired her from a friend who moved to London. The cat has food allergies and I needed a new diet for her.

You think they would have noticed either worms or a plugged sac?

Again, thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 18:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ha ha! on your roommates rug! that's the best.

eggz - in my extensive web research on the dragging subject, I've come up with only three possibilites: worms, clogged anal sac, or overweight cat who can't clean properly down there and therefore drags to get the xtra poo off.

if it is the worms - u need to get to a vet.

if it the clogged anal sac - u need to get to a vet, cuz it could cause much bigger probs if left undealt with.

if it's weight - get them on a healthy diet...vet suggested letting the cat eat twice a day for 15 minutes each time - then pulling the food away (b/c ours is overweight)

hope this helps.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 18:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lovejc wrote:
so - here's the update on our girl. went back to West Side - had doctor Buchholz...amazing! we absolutely loved him and he answered alllllll of our kitty questions and didn't push us to do vaccines. she didn't have ear mites (just wax that I thought was ear mites)...but I did diagnose her clogged anal sac correctly - which was why she was dragging her butt all the time around the house. so he fixed that (gross!) and now she's on the road to recovery! yeah! I told my husband we couldn't get new rugs until she stopped dragging and so, now we can.

thx for all your help, jc cat luvers.

Is that the only reason a cat would drag their butt on the floor? My cat does it sometimes, and aside from wanting to amuse my friends and I, I thought she just had an itch.

She doesn't do it all the time, and only on my roommates rug, so I let it slide.

Thoughts?

Posted on: 2007/10/11 18:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
so - here's the update on our girl. went back to West Side - had doctor Buchholz...amazing! we absolutely loved him and he answered alllllll of our kitty questions and didn't push us to do vaccines. she didn't have ear mites (just wax that I thought was ear mites)...but I did diagnose her clogged anal sac correctly - which was why she was dragging her butt all the time around the house. so he fixed that (gross!) and now she's on the road to recovery! yeah! I told my husband we couldn't get new rugs until she stopped dragging and so, now we can.

thx for all your help, jc cat luvers.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
hate you pinky you know exactly what I am thinking
grrrr
get on it girlie

Posted on: 2007/10/8 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lunawolf3 wrote:
I know gross right? eewww

Ok she is 3? could be diet related -the breath I mean--get her on a very good quality diet--Innova (not Evo just regular Innova feline) is one of the best-better than Wellness IMHO-give the breath some time--stress can have an amazing & terrible effect on the system and organs--and so the breath presents that too--BUT it could be her teeth too--however--no matter WHAT any vet tells you do NOT clean her teeth right now-WAIT for anesthesia--she has been through enough--wait and see if her teeth are that bad--I am sorry but truth be known many many vets will try to get you to do everything all at once--vaccines/teeth cleaning (under anesthesia) its assaulting to the system. Go to the vet--get the mites treatment and take it from there. Take your time. Do not shoot her up all at once. Is she spayed yet?
as far as more vaccines go?
thats a personal preference-for me? she is 3 years old and many would argue she has built up an ammunity-she is strickly indoors--you wlll hear very very differently from the vet--unless you go the holistic route--all the vets are gonna tell- " shoot her up!!! Its what is best to protect her." I do not share that opinon. I have shared my life with likely 12 cats and I woud suggest to you-that you educate yourself--read read read-
good luck
Mary Ann @ faeryx4@yahoo.com

Okay so get this, my cat ""puddy" that I've has since he was a few weeks old, had the worst breath in the world, 10 years later, still as funky and his teeth are perfect. I can't get him to eat anything but meow mix dry. I know, I know I'm feeding him crap but he refuses to eat anything else. My other cat is on wellness and also eats the meow mix.

and on a side note, I'm not going to post anything else until I go onto the Yahoo dogjc group and post about the new dog park...ha ha Mary Ann, I knew what you're thinking!

Posted on: 2007/10/8 23:13

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017