Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 17 »

Re: Who here really, really hates Comcast?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The only issue I have with comcast is poor customer service. My internet service is fairly fast, and TV never goes out.. The rates are very high.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

scooter wrote:
this is not surprising at all (Comcast is the K-tel of cable companies)

...there aren't many phone calls I look forward to making more than that one to Comcast canceling my account, the minute FIOS comes to V.V.P. - whenever that is.

I have no choice but to subscribe to Crapcast. Dish is out of the question for me, and who knows when FIOS will get to my neck of the woods.

I am getting sick and tired of lack of baseball on broadcast TV. It used to be that Channel 9 and Channel 5 had some Mets, but not anymore.

Can anybody comment on the Picture Quality of YES-HD and SNY-HD on Comcast as compared to OTA (over-the-air) HD sports?

Does Comcast compress the hell out of these channels? Do people see jagged edges, blockiness, fuzziness, etc compared to OTA HD?

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/4/4 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
this is not surprising at all (Comcast is the K-tel of cable companies)

...there aren't many phone calls I look forward to making more than that one to Comcast canceling my account, the minute FIOS comes to V.V.P. - whenever that is.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 19:37
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Don't get your hopes up with Comcast HDTV. AVSFORUM has a comparison between FIOS and Comcast quality. You can see that Comcast highly compresses their HD feed. Its kinda pointless to invest in higher quality equipment and then degrade the signal so badly.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

Wow! Without all the other problems with Comcast that have been presented on this thread, that demonstration of picture quality degradation is enough to make me ready to switch to FIOS. Can't come soon enough.

Posted on: 2008/4/3 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Don't get your hopes up with Comcast HDTV. AVSFORUM has a comparison between FIOS and Comcast quality. You can see that Comcast highly compresses their HD feed. Its kinda pointless to invest in higher quality equipment and then degrade the signal so badly.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

Posted on: 2008/4/3 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Comcast to offer super fast internet speed?

http://www.reuters.com/article/techno ... nologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true

For only $150/month

Posted on: 2008/4/3 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/4/3 12:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/21 19:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thriftyT wrote:
Quote:

payanks00 wrote:
I was wondering when we are getting new HD stations. I was up in north jersey, and cablevision has like 100 HD stations. When is Comcast in JC adding: Discovery, ESPNNews, FOOD, USA, etc...?

Since Comcast has limited competition, the answer is:

Whenever they feel like it.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/28/ ... d-channels-in-new-jersey/

It looks like sooner than later we're getting 9 new HD channels (it's a gradual rollout apparently), I know they added SNY HD finally last week to coincide with baseball season.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

payanks00 wrote:
I was wondering when we are getting new HD stations. I was up in north jersey, and cablevision has like 100 HD stations. When is Comcast in JC adding: Discovery, ESPNNews, FOOD, USA, etc...?

Since Comcast has limited competition, the answer is:

Whenever they feel like it.

Posted on: 2008/3/31 1:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/14 13:52
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/3/31 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Quote:

thriftyT wrote:
...If your WiFi connection is less than optimal, it can explain your slow downloading/streaming...
!

It is unlikely but worth trying. Even a 802.11b wireless router has more than sufficient bandwidth.

Creativeconquests should run the speed test with the wireless and then connected to ethernet to rule that out.

It is definitely worth trying just because it is easy (as long as you have an ethernet cable).

I differ slightly w/ super_furry in that the possibility that the wireless connection IS your bottleneck is quite high for two reasons:

Super_furry is correct in stating that the 802.11b WiFi spec theoretically has plenty of bandwidth, but many factors degrade the signal: distance, objects/obstacles, and interference from other radio signals (including other peoples' routers).

Secondly, it is known that Mac WiFi signals are often less than optimal due to airport card positioning and the type of materials Apple uses in the casing.

Posted on: 2008/3/27 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
We have Hotwire Communications in our building (The Beacon) and after reading all this the bugs they are working out in thier system seem trivial. Well--it is free for the first year--except for HD--even the internet and it is FIOS. Hmmm, not sure if I posted to learn something or to brag :) It is wierd though to be with a company that has to iron out bugs with your service--lip synching off after pausing like a badly dubbed kung fu movie--same with when you record sometimes. But that is the worst thing that happens soooo for $25 a month for two sets of HD and DVR and FIOS internet I think i can take it.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thriftyT wrote:
Maybe it's not your MacBook, but maybe it isn't Comcast either.
If you're connecting via WiFi, you may want to try an ethernet connection to your router.

If your WiFi connection is less than optimal, it can explain your slow downloading/streaming...

good luck!

It is unlikely but worth trying. Even a 802.11b wireless router has more than sufficient bandwidth.

Creativeconquests should run the speed test with the wireless and then connected to ethernet to rule that out.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Here's another reason to hate them, their incompetent, trespassing contractors. Yesterday one climbed the fence into my yard to use my ladder to install a wire crossing right in front of my kitchen window to go to the neighbors garage apartment.

WHEN DID I SURRENDER ALL PROPERTY AND PRIVACY RIGHTS TO COMCAST!!!

This is the second time they've done something like this, last time they destroyed a steel trash can by dropping a junction box cover on it because they were trying to service it from outside the gate leaning in over it. Neither of these idiots ever bothered to actually ring the doorbell, I was home when this new wire was installed. Had they injured themselves on my property I presumably would be liable. What if that ladder was lying there because it was broken and needed repair?

I'm currently on hold waiting to speak to a comcast supervisor. If I don't get a satifying reaction I will be out in the yard with my wire clippers.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:

I can't seem to download and watch videos on any of the nbc abc cbs site etc. And I want to blame comcast very articulately....

Maybe it's not your MacBook, but maybe it isn't Comcast either.
If you're connecting via WiFi, you may want to try an ethernet connection to your router.

If your WiFi connection is less than optimal, it can explain your slow downloading/streaming...

good luck!

Posted on: 2008/3/26 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
I need help - how do I phone them and intelligently explain that I am having problems with how SLOW my very expensive high speed internet service is without them blaming my macbook pro computer?

Test your actual speed at:

http://www.speedtest.net/

and compare the result with what Comcast promises to provide.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2008/3/25 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
from TVpredictions.com:

Is Comcast Squeezing Your HD Picture?

My thanks to bfdtv over at AVSForum for his very interesting post on the compression that Comcast is using on some of their HD channels as compared to Verizon?s FiOS service. The link is here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271.

Apparently, in order to free up more bandwidth to add more HD channels, Comcast is further compressing their HD feeds with the predictable disastrous effects on picture quality. In the past, cable operators like Comcast were putting two HD channels into one 38.8 Mbps QAM slot. This was enough for two full bit rate full resolution HD channels with no degradation in picture quality. Now, they are compressing 3 HD channels into that same QAM slot with a noticeable effect on picture quality as is evidenced in bfdtv?s screen captures.

Furthermore, you do not have to be a Comcast subscriber to note this diminished picture quality. This 3:1 compression is being performed at the Comcast Media Center?s Headend in the Sky(HITS) in Denver which feeds the cable channels to many other cable companies including Cox and Charter. The 3:1 compression does not effect all HD channels, at least not as of yet. Select channels without much in the way of motion are being grouped together in groups of three. The affected channels are as follows: Discovery HD, SciFi, USA, Food, National Geographic, Universal HD, A&E, HGTV, Starz, Cinemax, HBO, TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery HD Theater and History.

Despite the theory that compression artifacts won?t be visible or as visible on channels with static images, the screen captures show otherwise. The images from Comcast?s feed as compared to the same shows on FiOS show motion artifacts galore and a very noticeable drop in picture quality to the point of being unwatchable. I for one would be quite upset if the images on my screen were so degraded.

Frankly, this is shocking to see from Comcast who had been running ads crowing about the quality of their HD PQ as compared to DIRECTV's "HDLite." Now it appears that Comcast has jumped into the same boat as DIRECTV. In fact, Comcast?s picture quality may be even worse than DIRECTV's as DIRECTV uses a more efficient compression algorithm MPEG4 compared to Comcast?s MPEG2.

For those subscribers at Comcast and other cable companies who obtain their HD feeds from the HITS facility and who have noticed that their HD channels don?t look as good as they did a few months ago, you now know why. Those once beautiful full bit rate HD signals are being choked to death by Comcast, all for the sake of adding more HD channels. The better approach would be to spend the money necessary to upgrade their cable systems to add more bandwidth to add more HD channels. Saving a few bucks by degrading the channels you already have to add new ones is not the way to go and is a clear step backwards for all fans of high definition television.

I would suggest that those of you that care about the quality of their HD experience complain to Comcast or their own cable company about what they are doing. Otherwise, they will continue to do so and spread the practice to other channels as well. They will take your silence as a sign that you are not noticing what they are doing to the signal which will only encourage them to continue and even worse, expand the practice. Tell them you are as mad as hell and won?t take it anymore! Or, at least, that you will switch to another service if it continues. Loss of subscribers is the only thing that will get their attention! The ball is in your court, HD fans!

For more high-def news and views, please click: TVPredictions.com.

Posted on: 2008/3/25 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
As most of you know on this site I am the BIGGEST HATER of comcast, despise.

I need help - how do I phone them and intelligently explain that I am having problems with how SLOW my very expensive high speed internet service is without them blaming my macbook pro computer?

I can't seem to download and watch videos on any of the nbc abc cbs site etc. And I want to blame comcast very articulately - the techie geeks always win with me. Drat. Maybe I am wrong and it's my computer, but I have a macbook pro specifically so I can watch downloads FAST. Help me complain WELL! :) Even with this post suddenly it's ALL VERY SLOW. Everything slows up and doesn't respond well. I need to sock it to them with articulate and excellent language people.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
I do, service can be sporadic and signals from my remote work when they want to.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
We cancelled our Comcast TV services and returned our digital and HD boxes about a year ago to save money and to break our TV dependence. About a month later, we discovered that they seemed to forget to shut off our basic service. And now I have no problem watching free programming as revenge for all the bullshit they pulled in the past.

I had free cable for 3 years until a new neighbor ordered it and mine got shut off. It is nice getting something for free that SHOULD be free.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 4:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
26 Secret Comcast Supervisor Phone Numbers
Please don't flood the lines....

02:28AM Tuesday Feb 05 2008 by Revcb

I ran across this potentially useful bit of info for you frustrated Comcast customers tired of the the cableco's customer support shenanigans.

The Consumerist, in an article titled "26 Secret Comcast Supervisor Phone Numbers", has been kind enough to leak some potentially very useful numbers when dealing with the tech support run around. I thought the numbers worthy of posting here in the MBB. Happy dialing... though that may be while you can - because I have a strange feeling once Comcast gets flooded with calls to these numbers, one may suddenly find themselves unable to connect to them anymore. I wouldn't put it past Comcast, heh.

Anyways, without further ado... here are the numbers and info, quoted in full from The Consumerist:

Here are 26 unpublished direct numbers for level 2.5 and above Comcast supervisors. According to our inside source, these people know how to fix your problems. We've got numbers for high level people on the national level, as well as numbers which are good for central Pennsylvania customers:

These support desk people have national access:

888-345-5731 National Support Desk - Dispatchers, day of install issues, etc. IVR requests Remedy TTS ticket number, but once you're on the phone they're not likely to turn you away, even if you just need a box hit.
877-456-5488 Support Desk Pager
Manager Elizabeth Carpenter - Cell - 267-303-1123, Desk - 856-317-7417, Pager - 888-438-2983
Director Mike Nocitra - Desk - 484-530-5541, Cell - 610-306-3750

The latter two are pretty much required to be nice to you and help you as much as possible even though it's nowhere near their job description. It's not as if they can refuse to take an escalation, even if you escalate yourself to them.

The below people can help if your account number starts with 01603, 01622, 01711, 01692, 05818, 09547, 09549, or 09560:

Barb Fry - Retention Sup - 717-202-8130
Brandon Mitchell - Billing Sup - 717-202-8142
Cory Graby - Sales Sup - 717-202-8281
Dennis Shadle - Sales Sup - 717-202-8106
Don Brickley - Service Sup - 717-202-8112
Elisha Kunkle - Sales Sup - 717-202-8290
Giancarlo Rodriguez - Marketing Manager - 717-202-8176 (Not really a sup per se, but can get things done quickly if need be)

Jawal Boyd - Billing Sup - 717-202-8139
Jeff Eck - Billing Sup - 717-202-8234
Jen Boyer - Billing Sup - 717-202-8235
Mary Ellen Fahringer - Sales Manager - 717-202-8122 (She is the manager of the Sales Supervisors above. If you get nowhere with them, it might not hurt to drop MEF's name (Yes, she is called "Mef" by anyone who knows her) and mention you have her number and would be happy to call her if necessary)

Mike Noren - Billing Sup - 717-202-8218
Peggy Shea - Sales Sup - 717-202-8217
Sherree Henley - Retention Sup - 717-202-8115
Tim Miller - Billing Sup - 717-202-8136
Tom Zimmerman - Billing Sup - 717-202-8135

(Sup hours can vary widely. Try them all. Leave a voicemail. Or ten. Then call MEF and tell her no one will return your calls. They'll get back to you.)

And then there's the bridge and headend people. It's not their job per se to help customers, but if one called them, the bridge has access to help and would be angry enough to do it just to make someone go away, and the headend, while not all THAT useful, is important enough to irritate someone into taking action on your behalf...

Lebanon Call Center Bridge 717-202-8202 (7 AM-12AM)
Lebanon Headend 717-202-8190

The sups and other numbers on here are limited to a certain geographic area, roughly PA from the New York line to the Maryland line, west as far as Breezewood, East to just shy of Plymouth Meeting.

Additionally, any Comcast customer in rural WVa, VA, or a small piece of PA west of Mercersburg who is CONSTANTLY getting misdirected to either Pittsburgh or Lebanon PA, we route calls based on the number you call from, and it inevitably ends up wrong if you're in one of those areas and a legacy Adelphia customer. So go right to the source. You are in "corp" 01626, and are served out of the Hancock, MD service center and the Manassas, VA call center. Only the people in Manassas can pull up your account. Dial direct 703-740-2225

Kudos to The Consumerists' Ben Popken for posting this, and I hope this helps some frustrated Comcast customers out there. Enjoy!

Posted on: 2008/3/13 15:39
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
this happens more often than not, i think they actually have to come out to the pole to turn it off. i'm sure most are too lazy to bother.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 17:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
We cancelled our Comcast TV services and returned our digital and HD boxes about a year ago to save money and to break our TV dependence. About a month later, we discovered that they seemed to forget to shut off our basic service. And now I have no problem watching free programming as revenge for all the bullshit they pulled in the past.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCmorganSt wrote:
Can anyone in JC get Verizon Fios cable or is it just my building that can't?

Right now there are only about 2 blocks in the entire city that can get Fios (and those blocks are in the Heights).

Posted on: 2008/3/10 13:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone in JC get Verizon Fios cable or is it just my building that can't?

Posted on: 2008/3/10 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
Comcast was nice enough to add a $13.95 charge on my most recent bill for a DVR box that I have never had. Check your bills! I am now going to call to complain...I really, really hate Comcast.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, that show is lame. But not as lame as the Comcast DVR.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
in the case of "Make Me a Supermodel," I think comcast just did you a favor.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I hate Comcast. I just lost power for one second at 8:49PM, and the entire tv guide in the Comcast DVR is wiped out. Earlier at 5 PM, I recorded "Make Me A Super Model", and the show was choppy and fragmented and missing some sound. What a stupid system. It is not worth $13.95.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 2:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
Who knew? They were telling the truth? My bill gets charged to my Amex - $150.35 every month - and it doesn't list the detail to that level. The paper one gets shredded. Well I take it all back - NOT.

I have one tv, dig, hbo & show, and internet - $150. My phone is Vonage (thank god I didn't buy the stock).

I still really really hate Comcast.

Posted on: 2008/3/6 3:04

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 17 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017