Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

Re: An Open Letter to You, My PATH Nemesis
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
When packed inside the crowded car, and feeling the stranger's hand repeatedly slide down the pole and touch mine

That's pretty high up on my skeev-o-rama index, also. The only good thing about riding in the Winter is that my gloves protect me from subway poll grunge and wayward hands.

Instead of handing out those useless PATH card protecters during the Port Authority's regular PR stunts, I have some better idears:

-Provide all riders with thin cotton gloves. Not only will this protect us from subway poll grunge, we can wear our cotton gloves while walking to work. We'll instantly recognize each other as fellow pilgrilms of the PATH and exchange knowing nods

-Hire some English butlers to wipe down all the polls with antiseptic between stops

-Equip the PATH card readers to apply a thin coating of Purell to each card inserted. Goodbye card jams, offensive hand jam, and the lubricious coating will ensure swift passes through the turnstiles, preventing line jams.

Posted on: 2008/3/26 18:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Old ladies seem to be the "pushiest" riders. They will check you like a linebacker to get in before you.

I won't get started on my East-Asian friends who have no clue of personal space. Almost empty car, and he'll stand right in front of my face. I don't like to feel others breathing in my morning commute.

Also, how can someone possibly smell bad in the morning? Didn't they just get out the shower WTH

Posted on: 2008/3/26 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bloodtv wrote:
...and here's one from just this morning. The Journal Square Path station was unusually crowded around 8:15 this morning (yes, more crowded than usual)...and as I stood on the escalator this large (yes, big) woman [for the record, I'm 6 4 and large too] started banging her very large (yes, very large) two satchels into me.

I ignored it...after all...how long is the ride to the platform...

Well, when I stepped off to wait for the train to Wall St. she came right up to me and said "Why in such a hurry" "Did you really need to be somewhere so fast"

So, I ignored her...then she came into my face with more bs. Finally, I said "what the hell is your problem?" you were the one banging your bags into me...not a big enough lunch for you? With that, she skulked away.

While we are on the topic...anyone else ever wonder why so many East Indians lug around these huge backpacks and then jam them into everyone's back w/o so much as a "sorry" or "excuse me"... On several occasions I've had to say "carry your stuff in your hand like everyone else, the train is too crowded to be jamming into people with that stuff"...

...and...

Is it a cultural thing or genetics...but deodorant is not in their vocabulary either...Damn, some hot, humid Summer days going back & forth to work and whew! Yeah, throw them stinky arms over the bars and give everybody a whiff...

I saw a fight start over that once. Hot day, hot night. Some lady started in about the stink abuse and the man got abusive. Finally she whipped out a perfume bottle and splashed him..."Got the message!" she yelled. Everyone laughed. I felt it was a bit sad...so genetic...or just plain stupid.

If it makes you feel any better, just imagine what public transport in equatorial South India smells like (gag)

Posted on: 2008/3/15 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I know the purpose of this thread is to complain about others, but I must add to the fainting feeling creativeconquests observes. When packed inside the crowded car, and feeling the stranger's hand repeatedly slide down the pole and touch mine, and parts of bodies pressed against parts of mine, smelling and sensing the warm breath on my neck or cheek, I have felt a sudden fear and nearly irrepressible urge to escape the confines of the car, even in mid-flight. I guess this is what is known as claustrophobia. Well, I don't like it, and don't believe people belong this close together, and I, for one, am taking the ferry as often as possible before I develop a full blown mental illness.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:
curtis_luvva wrote: Scene - HOB-34th ST PATH train about 7:50 am one winter weekday (before I moved ? miles south, before there was a List - or even AOL) SRO Max occupancy, 2nd car from front of train, right outside the windowed office, Moments from departure. A brief commotion, some noise and - Ever watch a drop of dishwashing soap hit a sink full of greasy water? A standee faints to the floor. Instant buffer zone around the body, but nobody moves to help (no matter how crowded it is, there's always more room). The news is rippling thru the car like the wave at Giants Stadium. A coupla people suggest "call for help," "Get the Conductor," "Pull the emergency brake!" Chorus of loud "NO!! DON'T PULL THE CORD!! WE'LL NEVER LEAVE!!" And, by now - not even 10 seconds - as the train pulls out, I can see, it's a young woman (Suzy McHoboken?), on her back. Three shoves, two steps and slide down onto my knees, do my ABCs and I get her torso up and she starts to comes to - believe it or not - somebody gives up their seat for her. I get here head between her knees, some color's coming back, do a quick vital check. Just doin' my survey, the train's chuggin' along. Turns out, she's taking diet pills, hasn't eaten in like two days. I give her two big gulps of my coffee* and force her to eat 1/2 a Clif bar and give her a 0.5l bottle of Poland Spring. She's more embarrassed than ill. I stood the rest of the ride to Christopher . . . thank God no one was late to work!! Now that would have been a tragedy for them - but somebody else fainting? DON'T PULL THE CORD. Such nice young people. The Hi Speed Line, the T, BART - PATH is pretty bad, but it is what you make of it. * " . . . I don't need you to tell me how #OOPS#ing good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys SHIT. Me, I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it."
I am completely shocked about the amount of times I've felt like fainting on the PATH train. I think the summer humidity, always going "oh yah, I should have eaten something" and I don't know....being small too. All adds up to me feeling like fainting. I bring water and an energy bar most times but I do request one thing - if I faint, can you please just pick me up and help me to the next stop? I don't want a stopped train, there's nothing worse than fainting and pissing everyone off, afterall it IS new york and why stop the world for me, the stupid girl, who forgot to eat. lol. P.S. I love seeing people do that guessing game on who stops at Hoboken. Because I always know you LOSE when I stay on the train. Point for me.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 13:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/28 0:19
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

A friend and I were taking the PATH home at 4 a.m. on a Saturday night and this guy (meathead-looking) was pacing around the train. He grabbed one of the bars above the seats and started doing pull-ups.

My friends have a name for this phenomenon: Random Acts of Pull-Ups.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 5:21
"Security in this office park is a joke. Last year, I came to work with my spud gun in a duffel bag. I sat at my desk all day, with a rifle that shoots potatoes at 60 pounds per square inch. Can you imagine if I was deranged?" ---Dwight Schrute

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 10:24
Group:
Registered Users
...and here's one from just this morning. The Journal Square Path station was unusually crowded around 8:15 this morning (yes, more crowded than usual)...and as I stood on the escalator this large (yes, big) woman [for the record, I'm 6 4 and large too] started banging her very large (yes, very large) two satchels into me.

I ignored it...after all...how long is the ride to the platform...

Well, when I stepped off to wait for the train to Wall St. she came right up to me and said "Why in such a hurry" "Did you really need to be somewhere so fast"

So, I ignored her...then she came into my face with more bs. Finally, I said "what the hell is your problem?" you were the one banging your bags into me...not a big enough lunch for you? With that, she skulked away.

While we are on the topic...anyone else ever wonder why so many East Indians lug around these huge backpacks and then jam them into everyone's back w/o so much as a "sorry" or "excuse me"... On several occasions I've had to say "carry your stuff in your hand like everyone else, the train is too crowded to be jamming into people with that stuff"...

...and...

Is it a cultural thing or genetics...but deodorant is not in their vocabulary either...Damn, some hot, humid Summer days going back & forth to work and whew! Yeah, throw them stinky arms over the bars and give everybody a whiff...

I saw a fight start over that once. Hot day, hot night. Some lady started in about the stink abuse and the man got abusive. Finally she whipped out a perfume bottle and splashed him..."Got the message!" she yelled. Everyone laughed. I felt it was a bit sad...so genetic...or just plain stupid.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 19:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/1 15:53
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
This thread is too funny, and I have a story of my own to share!

A friend and I were taking the PATH home at 4 a.m. on a Saturday night and this guy (meathead-looking) was pacing around the train. He grabbed one of the bars above the seats and started doing pull-ups. Then (no joke) he started licking the window and kissing it. Bizarre... He probably should have stayed at whatever club he was in until his "high" wore off!

Posted on: 2008/3/14 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
once he dropped it in the bag, that heroin was totally yours to keep.

next time, fight for it.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
But then again, I once sat next to a guy smoking crack on the subway. I was one of only three people who ran off the car at the next stop. I guess everyone else was too lazy. So, I can't really complain about the PATH.

That reminds me of another story! This one was a while back. One night, not too late at night, I have a seat on the PATH, and I have my bag - like an open shopping bag - on the floor between my feet.

The PATH stops at Pavonia-Newport, and the guy who had been sitting next to me starts to stand up, and then he leans over and reaches right into my bag. I was like "Holy crap! He's stealing my stuff?"

So I said, "HEY!" (I was so shocked I really didn't know what to say) and then he kind of mumbled "I dropped something in your bag," all this as the doors are opening, people are moving around, and he opened his hand and showed me a little baggie of heroine! So, I guess he had dropped it in my bag and then decided to fish it out (thank god, right?) and then he kind of had to show me so that I wouldn't be screaming "Stop! He's stealing from me!"

But how weird, right? I mean, I guess at that point I was kind of glad he was taking his heroin back, but what a weird exchange, "Oh good, he's not stealing from me, just taking back the heroin he dropped in my bag."

Posted on: 2008/3/14 15:40
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
As glum as this topic is, I actually had a pleasant experience this morning around 7:40AM. Instead of both lanes going one direction, there was two way traffic on the only staircase at Grove St. People were even patiently lined up at the bottom of the staircase. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming... maybe more people read this than I'd thought :]

Posted on: 2008/3/14 14:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/19 19:46
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, we should all submit suggestions/complaints to the PA. I'm just submitted mine. Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Please call the PATH when this pattern occurs. Or does a negative situation have to come to fruitation to open some eyes. Link below to make a differance.........
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/path/html/patron.php

Contact information:
PATH
T: 1-800-234-PATH (7284)

Police/Lost & Found
T: 201-216-6078

TTY
T: 800-728-4225

http://www.panynj.gov/feedback.php

Posted on: 2008/3/14 13:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/28 21:20
Group:
Registered Users
I love it when people decide to sit at the bottom of the stairs. I once saw a guy just sitting on the bottom of the stairs, making an entire rush hour crowd walk around him.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 13:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/19 19:46
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Really though is there a solution? Is it possible to run the 33rd & WTC on separate tracks during rush hour?

Now that everyone has to crowd down the one staircase it's more apparent how unconsiderate some of the riders are. There's a guy that stands at the bottom of the staircase at Grove - right next to the pillar - with his briefcase on the floor - Everyone has to squeeze by him as he stands there reading his paper.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 12:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, God. So many stories...

The other day, I saw a guy get off at Christopher St. and offer an old man with a cane his seat. I thought, "Nice," until I realized that the man with the cane had been standing in front of this idiot the whole way from Grove St!!!!

(I also think I've seen the obnoxious middle-aged blonde.)

But then again, I once sat next to a guy smoking crack on the subway. I was one of only three people who ran off the car at the next stop. I guess everyone else was too lazy. So, I can't really complain about the PATH.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Well, since we're going to reopen this topic, I'd like to address my PATH nemesis, who is any man who deems it appropriate to sit with his legs spread in a wide open V, thus forcing me to keep my thighs uncomfortably pressed together to avoid leg-to-leg contact. Seriously! We all have our 18 inches of seat, please don't cross the line into my area.

How about people (there was one last night), who sit with their feet splayed all the way out. So, now everyone who is standing in the crowded train has to try not to trip over his feet. It's not a recliner, it's a seat. Sit nicely and take up a little less room.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 11:32
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
I was on the PATH today from 33rd street and tucked myself in to the corner by the doors. By Christopher I was smothered by people but NONE thought to go to the middle of the train. I remember about 6 years ago when the MTA advertised on the train ads "All the good looking people go to the middle of the train". I thought that was a hilarious way to motivate people to actually move their asses to the middle. But then again, maybe we all have such low self esteem none of us would go...perhaps it should say "all the fat assed uglies truck to the middle of the train".

All I know is that it does definitely suck the stairs are closed on one side of Grove....I am convinced there is a better way to fix stairs than cutting off the ENTIRE area, maybe one section at a time......but that would be TOO EASY.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 6:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I haven't traveled on the PATH for work in 7 years. I can only imagine how much more crowded it is now.

Years ago I witness some douchebag with slicked back hair and cheezy suit drop his CD onto the tracks at the 33rd Street station during the PM rush. He panics and calls over one of the PATH workers and makes him get onto the tracks and get it! He delayed the incoming train by a good 10 minutes.

Two weeks later, I see the same douchebag sitting and pretending to be asleep with his sunglasses on as a *VERY* pregnant woman stood in front of him. It was a hot day and she looked miserable so I tapped him on the shoulder and asked very loudly, "Would you mind giving your seat up for this woman?" He begrudgingly did.

I always give my seat to someone who needs it. My favorite thing is to ask someone who is able-bodied to give up their seat for someone else.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

metulj wrote:
Now if people just wouldn't clip their nails on the train....

those aren't people. those are animals.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 4:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
Well, since we're going to reopen this topic, I'd like to address my PATH nemesis, who is any man who deems it appropriate to sit with his legs spread in a wide open V, thus forcing me to keep my thighs uncomfortably pressed together to avoid leg-to-leg contact. Seriously! We all have our 18 inches of seat, please don't cross the line into my area.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Grovester, I think I've encountered her, too. Whenever I see her, I just move to another section of the platform, away from her. Admittedly that's not easy when she's standing right by the bottom of the stairs, blocking your access just when a train is about to close its doors. I always think to myself: Gosh, what a sad way to live life - to be so angry that the highlight of your day is trying to piss off as many people as possible on a train platform.

She was blonde (probably fake), probably in her 50s. Shortish (5'-ish). Green sweater yesterday. She takes the 33rd St. train, and blocks the door to the WTC train.

I spent the day thinking about, how, if I saw her again, I would purposely block her from getting on her train. But I just can't sink that low. And besides that, if she actually missed the train, then I'd have to spend a few minutes on the platform while I waited for my train. Not worth it.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 21:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/12 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
I stand on the PATH. I don't even fight it. But I have a theory about the insane behavior to get a seat: For a lot of people, this is the best thing that is going to happen to them each day. Seriously, getting a seat on the train is the best thing that happens each and every day to a lot of people. Personally, I value other things. They can have my seat. Now if people just wouldn't clip their nails on the train....

Posted on: 2008/3/13 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Is it just me, or does it seem jerks who block the door seem to all live in the vicinity of Grove Street? I noticed at Exchange Place, people seem to stand back, against the wall, when they realize it's not their train pulling into the station.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 21:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Grovester, I think I've encountered her, too. Whenever I see her, I just move to another section of the platform, away from her. Admittedly that's not easy when she's standing right by the bottom of the stairs, blocking your access just when a train is about to close its doors. I always think to myself: Gosh, what a sad way to live life - to be so angry that the highlight of your day is trying to piss off as many people as possible on a train platform.

People are insanely rude in this regard.

There's a guy I've seen mornings around 8:15 at Grove St., he carries a messenger bag, stands about 5-9, late 30s, and has light, bushy brown hair, gets on a car close to the staircase on the north side of the platform. Don't know what his story is, but I've seen him shove women to get on the train first so he can get one of the coveted corner areas between the seat rows and the doors, where he promptly sits.

People like this and Grovester's diva can make a normal commute into something really crappy.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/3/13 19:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
was she 6'4" and carrying a bike?

Don't know what it is with JC door-blockers. I get off the 6 train at Grand Central each morning where there's inevitably a large crowd of people waiting to board. As a rule, they politely make an alleyway through which departing passengers can exit. I go home and get off at Grove where, again, there's generally a bunch of people waiting and they have a strong tendency to just stand there, gazing with bovine intensity at the car's interior, blithely ignoring anyone trying to get out while chewing their cud. Something in the air here....

Posted on: 2008/3/13 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
was she 6'4" and carrying a bike?

Posted on: 2008/3/13 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
jc_insomniac wrote:
Quote:
To the woman who pretended to not hear me as I said "excuse me" three times with increasing volume as she insisted on standing directly in front of the train entrance on the Grove Street station platform and made me miss my train this morning:

You are on notice!

The next time I see you on Grove Street and you insist on blocking the doorway, be prepared to be pushed aside because I won't be as nice.

And that goes for anyone who insists on blocking the train entrance during rush hour.

Sincerely,
jc_insomniac

Oh my god. Yesterday morning. Grove Street PATH station. Platform level. My train comes. The door opens. This woman stands, on the platform, directly in front of the doors. With her hands on her hips so she takes up the majority of the doorway. People are coming off the train, and they have to try to side-step around her. They're saying "excuse me" but she just stands there.

I'm standing directly behind her. I figure she's letting people off and then she's going to step on once the doorway is clear.

But, no, everyone gets off, and she's still standing there. Oh, no! Now I'm going to miss my train! I say "Excuse me!" nice and loud, and then step around her, just in time.

As the doors shut, I can hear her cursing. I'm just barely inside the doorway, so I turn to look at her. And then the door re-opens. Apparently, this is her opportunity.

She says, and I quote, "Oh, next time, when the train comes, and it's not my train, I'LL move from where I'M standing, just because YOU'RE so important. "

To which I responded, "Good, don't stand in front of doors!"

And then she called me a "fucking moron." And then the doors shut.

Seriously? She just goes around standing in front of doors, and I'm the moron? She thinks that you don't move when people say "excuse me" unless they're "so important," and I'm the moron?

Grrr. She, too, is on notice. (Assuming this was not the same person, and there's more than one person that is so rude using the Grove Street PATH station.)

Posted on: 2008/3/13 19:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/14 5:24
Group:
Registered Users
wow, the very first update from 2004 has got to be the best one EVER. It expresses everything perfectly and the sad thing is, all of those things still happen. :) GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Posted on: 2008/3/13 4:35

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017