Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: The Embankment Restaurant

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/24 13:07
Group:
Registered Users
Went with my husband and we loved it. The food was absolutely delicious... we are very excited about this addition to the neighborhood. Yeah - it's definitely an upscale restaurant... but that's what we wanted... and it's nice to have a few options in JC. This is definitely our new favorite.

Didn't feel cold at all - as mentioned in previous posts... maybe they adjusted the temp.

We also liked the bar atmosphere... they have a great beer list. High ceilings and very comfortable. Can see it being a great place to cool off this summer.

Posted on: 2008/3/24 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Chama wrote:
creativeconquests,

Sorry to hear you were not impressed with the food. You should have probably gone for a fancier dish than a burger...

We actually went for dinner to The Embankment last week and had a much better experience. My husband had the risotto which was very tasty (although a tiny undercooked). I ordered one of the daily specials, the Surf and Turf with monk fish and pork chunks and some exotic mushrooms and veggies. It was delicious, the pork almost melted in my mouth, and the size of the portion was perfect. We also ordered the soup of the day (a cream of mushroom) which was really good. The waiters were serving the soup to every table in a cappucino cup as a treat from the Chef... nice touch.

The staff very very attentive that night. Service was a bit slow for the main course, but overall we enjoyed the food, the ambiance and the service. And the staff speaks Spanish, magn?fico!

We'll certainly go back again.

I will definitely go back again. I am hopeful and really want to support this new place. Yes, the burger wasn't that great, and 3 of us ordered it and none of us felt one way or the other about it, unfortunately. I will try it again though, we could have hit an off night. But I will try surf n' turf. Thanks for the tip!

Posted on: 2008/3/20 21:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I ordered one of the daily specials, the Surf and Turf with monk fish and pork chunks and some exotic mushrooms and veggies. It was delicious, the pork almost melted in my mouth, and the size of the portion was perfect. We also ordered the soup of the day (a cream of mushroom) which was really good. The waiters were serving the soup to every table in a cappucino cup as a treat from the Chef... nice touch.

I had this dish [Surf & Turf] on Saturday night and I couldn't agree more with everything you said. It was terrific!

Posted on: 2008/3/19 15:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
creativeconquests,

Sorry to hear you were not impressed with the food. You should have probably gone for a fancier dish than a burger...

We actually went for dinner to The Embankment last week and had a much better experience. My husband had the risotto which was very tasty (although a tiny undercooked). I ordered one of the daily specials, the Surf and Turf with monk fish and pork chunks and some exotic mushrooms and veggies. It was delicious, the pork almost melted in my mouth, and the size of the portion was perfect. We also ordered the soup of the day (a cream of mushroom) which was really good. The waiters were serving the soup to every table in a cappucino cup as a treat from the Chef... nice touch.

The staff very very attentive that night. Service was a bit slow for the main course, but overall we enjoyed the food, the ambiance and the service. And the staff speaks Spanish, magn?fico!

We'll certainly go back again.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I'm bummed people.

I went last night and the food was just okay. Darn it all! I SO WANTED THIS TO BE MY NEW PLACE. I had the Kobe beef burger and it just tasted like a burger with a very high price point. The fries were presented in a coffee cup and were soggy. I always find these gourmet burgers often will present fries in a manner where they are delicious in some way, but no.

The shrimp tempura appie was soggy and the miso chicken wings has flavors that didn't feel like they merged and the portions were small (4 of each) compared to the price point.

We really wanted the service to be consistent and good but our drinks were empty and we had to go and ask for a second round and a third and ask for our waters several times. It wasn't busy but it was hard to get consistent service and no one cleared our dirty plates at all.

I will continue to support this place and try it out and hope they are tweaking things to improve. But I have to be honest here, for their price point they have to deliver a good, high end product that is consistent for me to continue to come. Marco and Pepe have learned one thing - incredible food and consistently incredible will bring in people and we'll tolerate the rest. (Not saying there is anything to tolerate, but I'll wait in line for their food). If the Embankment makes their food it's main draw, the rest will come.

I hope they figure it out - I really want to go there. I'm afraid the next time I do it will have to be on the company tab because I don't want to be disappointed at those prices on my tab. Good luck Embankment.

Posted on: 2008/3/18 12:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/2 4:24
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I had a great meal today at The Embankment. We will be back!!! Kudos to the owners and the Silvermans for bringing this gem to the neighborhood....

Posted on: 2008/3/11 3:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/22 17:46
Group:
Registered Users
I went here over the weekend. It is quite nice. They have a lounge on the 2nd floor. I had the salmon and it was quite good.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 23:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I had dinner at the Embankment over the weekend... well... i prefer Merchant ;)

Posted on: 2008/3/10 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Nice to have another restaurant option to take clients. I liked the vibe and lighting. Food choices were good. Really enjoyed the beet and goat cheese salad and the scallop entree. Dessert was good and they willingly came with a little bowl of ice cream all fancied up with mint and raspberries.

It was hard to go in to the restaurant area after being in the bar. Will definitely go there often. Nice to offset the cost by taking clients and it being on a company tab.

Was chilly in there, don't disagree the air circulation needs to be tweaked. I will definitely go again.

Posted on: 2008/3/8 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
anybody try the black cod with miso yet? Is it similar to nobu's?

Posted on: 2008/3/6 15:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Cannonguy : I find the place to be cold, stark and uncomfortable. While the music was sort of Zen, the place feels tense and the lack of heat made for a very uncomfortable dining experience.

Did you go on Thursday/Friday when they first opened or after? I went on Saturday and it was pretty warm.

The restaurant has Radiant Floor heating which takes hours and hours to heat a regular room. (I have radiant throughout my house) Maybe even days...given the size of that dining room. They may not be used to the controls yet. It's not like forced air heat that warms up quickly.

Posted on: 2008/3/6 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
Goblin wrote:
Damn good burger - worth every bit of $13[/quote

did you have the burger for lunch or dinner?
thanks

Posted on: 2008/3/6 15:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/12 23:21
Group:
Registered Users
ok.....now I am interested.

its going to be like the movie Pulp fiction when Uma orders the 5 dollar shake.

Posted on: 2008/3/6 14:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/31 0:03
Group:
Registered Users
Damn good burger - worth every bit of $13

Posted on: 2008/3/6 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday morning I called to ask if they were open for lunch and the lady who answered the phone said yes, of course. So I walked over to see an empty restaurant, and these 2 guys inside looking at me like i'm crazy for trying to book a table.

I dialed the number for the Embankment, not Merchant. Maybe the person answering was confused?

Anyway, anyone know if they'll be opening for lunch soon?

Posted on: 2008/3/6 13:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Am not so impressed. I find the place to be cold, stark and uncomfortable. While the music was sort of Zen, the place feels tense and the lack of heat made for a very uncomfortable dining experience. I will say the staff was polite - but lacking a genuine friendly approach. I assume being a new establishment, they were trying hard, or perhaps just the requirement of the owner? The waiter looked a nervous wreck as he served my friend and I one (1) piece of bread using two spoons? Come on, lighten up - this is Jersey City. I ate light, having just clams, which were so so. I am sure the food is great, but in reading the menu, I found it to be boring. On the other hand, I went to Marco & Pepe - for the first time and love it. Perhaps is the warm rustic feel. But I will give the Embankment another try, as I love to support Jersey City businesses. Regards.

Posted on: 2008/3/6 3:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Personally I am happy to have a lovely new restaurant within steps of my apartment....other than the $5 bud bottle i think the prices are what I would have expected and certainly not unreasonable. I think eventually they will figure out their crowd and maybe incorporate some kind of happy hour thing. Litm's drinks are pricey, but they have a kick ass happy hour. Where is it cheap to drink anymore around here anyway...even Lucky 7's upped there prices. If you can afford to live in this neighborhood you can afford a $6 beer.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 21:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Christine16 : With all these high end places coming in, I feel that we've lose sight of why many of us came to JC in the first place... IT's NOT HOBOKEN OR NYC!

Personally, I feel that Jersey City offers more higher quality food options than our sister city Hoboken so I am not sure what your point is. BTW... these restaurants are ALL doing very well....

LightHorse Tavern
Porto Leggaro
Ox
Edward's
South City Grill
etc and growing...

If it's not your thing or your vibe- that is fine too! But to complain complain complain in a public forum is narrow-minded and getting old.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Oh, you're just being priced out Christine! Kidding aside, I think even Frank Bruni would agree that the quality does not match the prices at this place. I'll certainly be going back for the bar, but the menu needs adjusting. Kobe burger? That's more about pretense than taste.

That said, the owners are great people and I'm sure they'll respond to their customers.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 18:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/8 18:57
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tghost wrote:
Quote:

Christine16 wrote:
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:
quote]

= cheap

Wanting to get a decent sized meal for under $30 an entree is being cheap?

Why would people spend nice NYC restaurant prices at a place like this? I just don't see what clientele they?re going for. There's not a lot of foot traffic, people aren't going to walk here from the PATH/waterfront businesses just to go here. So they're stuck with people living in HP, and why would we go there consistently when we could get a decent meal for half the cost at any number of places.

My gal and I went there on Friday, and the meal was very good (especially for just opening). But unless its a special occasion or we have guests in from out of town, I just don't see us going back. Especially when the location doesn't warrant those prices, having to look at the headlights of speeding cars passing on Erie really takes away from the ambiance.

I don't know what everyone else makes in terms of salary, but I'm starting to really not be able to afford a night in Jersey City! All these really nice places are opening, which is great, but of all the people I know in JC, not many can afford them on a regular basis. I know, some of you will argue that it's to keep the riff-raff out, but instead, it's keeping out a lot more. A night in JC shouldn't be as expensive as a night out in New York.

Odd how you aren't complaining about the PATH fares that went up effective today...or the increasing prices of everything you buy nowadays including everyday staples like milk and eggs. It's called inflation. Sounds like you're just being priced out of Jersey City.

What's to say I'm not? Sorry, but if I wanted to pay $5 for a bottle beer, I'd go to a place with a better vibe. Jersey City is great, but it's just not quite there to justify some of the pricing being seen in the new bars and restaurants. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good. Sadly, for all the yuppies out there, that's just the mentality they have. With all these high end places coming in, I feel that we've lose sight of why many of us came to JC in the first place... IT's NOT HOBOKEN OR NYC! It has it's own special something.

(Go ahead, complain about me next... I know it's coming... I don't belong here, I'm just a debbie downer, I don't see any value in the neighborhood... blah blah blah).

Posted on: 2008/3/3 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
The new place looks great and we gotta try it out! ( I live upstairs in Schroeder). The menu looks really good - the prices would bring me in for a special dinner - certainly can't drop in a few times a week due to the prices. I would have liked to see some items a bit better priced - I think for the overall success of it that should be thought about - especially since I'm looking forward to the summer and would love to come down often and have a light dinner sitting outside in the warm summer air along with my favorite neighbors!

Posted on: 2008/3/3 16:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
+1 Vanvorst

Some people on this site are all about Quantity and Cheap price as opposed to Quality of both products used and execution.

My husband and I enjoyed our dinner on Saturday night. Of course there are a few bumps in the road in the beginning (Friday was DAY 2!!) but the service was friendly and attentive and the food was good.

There are many offerings for the Quantity and Cheap Price Crowd:

Sava's
Buon Appetito
Taqueria
Sawadee
etc...

Or if these aren't good enough try an All You Can Eat Buffet...

?Quit yer bitchin? about new restaurants that add value to neighborhoods and make the area all the more appealing to the people in the neighborhood and those who will be filling the gluttony of luxury condos in this city.

Try parking in Hoboken even on the back streets. The area (for now) has a decent amount of street parking and is very convenient and easy to get to for people driving to JC from Hoboken, NYC, burbs... etc.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 16:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, horrible location, considering all the new construction going on over in Hamilton Park.

I've been to The Embankment twice already and LOVE it. I can't figure out why people on this website want JC to wallow in mediocrity. The mark of a good city is having many options. You want cheap food. Go get cheap food. But don't pick on other people who have the means and the desire to enjoy excellent food in a beautiful restaurant--and who actually wish the best for people investing in JC.

The Embankment makes me want to move back over to Hamilton Park. At least the walk will help me burn off calories!

Good job, guys!

Posted on: 2008/3/3 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went Friday for dinner. Service was very good. Decor is appealing, but all the windows while giving a nice view, make the interor chilly.

Food was good, but portions are EXTREMELY small and VERY pricey. I was ok as I had eaten a snack before dinner, my dining companions were not so fortunate.

Similar to OX in food portions and prices. However the Embankment is much more generous with their wine pourings than OX, you actually get a glass of wine!

Friends who just went to the bar seem more pleased.

I was hoping for a place like Skinner's Loft or the Merchant where I could go eat and have a full tummy for a reasonable price.

Posted on: 2008/3/2 17:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/2 15:27
Group:
Registered Users
Dropped in last night to try it out. We sat in the bar area, which was frigid. Bartenders were very attentive. Food was mediocre and while I dont mind paying gobs for a great meal, it isn't worth it here. Great to have another place in the neighborhood, but I wont be rushing to go back either.

Posted on: 2008/3/2 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I returned last evening with a college buddy, whose visiting from out of town. We had a great time. The bartenders were literally tripping over themselves to take care of us. My friend liked it so much, he said he would consider purchasing a residential unit in the building.

Posted on: 2008/3/1 20:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
went tonite for drinks and a bite...i think the place is very warm and cozy....the bartenders did very well for their second nite open, and my appetizer and sandwich was very good! I am very psyched to have a new bar around the corner from my house....looking forward to its evolvement in the neighborhood!!

Posted on: 2008/3/1 6:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The Schroeder Lofts, 10th and Erie.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Where is it?

Posted on: 2008/2/29 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
It's a new place so the service was a bit slow.

The food was fine but they need to turn the heat on in the place!!

DTG

Posted on: 2008/2/29 3:12

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017