Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: New task force ganging up on gangs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Thanks for the posts BM. I just haven't really seen them lately, and never really saw or heard of them ever really making a difference. Trust me, not that I don't want them to. I fully support grassroots efforts of the community. As far as I know, our tax dollars aren't funding it, so let it be. It's not like we get top notch service from those that do get our tax dollars... ahem...

I had to distance myself from all these bb's honestly. I guess it became numbing in a way. The censorship still astounds me. I just don't get the feel any of these sites in the end are truly for the community. Plus, I go in and out of phases with all this stuff. We'll see... becoming disenchanted with downtown JC a bit as well... but the pros still outweigh the cons for now... Hope all is well with the BM!

Posted on: 2008/3/9 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:
I hope they're as effective as the Guardian Angels. Speaking of the GA, has anyone heard of a single thing that they've thwarted since being here??? Are they even still here???

Hey knobby, long time no hear. Yes, the JCGA has been active not only downtown but also in Greenville and this chapter has to cover from Newark to Brooklyn as was posted here many times in first topic threads announcing the JCGA coming here.

The DJCW works closely with the JCGA and liasons with other neighborhood associatons that work with them. Here below is a recent comment posted at jclist:

Quote:
clne178 Re: Cops respond quickly to another Wayne Street Mess #2 2008/1/10 11:31:45)

I live on wayne st and I can say is that Luis Angel Ramos playground/Ball courts area needs constant police presence. There is so much open air street drug dealing that happens there. The truth is all of the parks/playgrounds in JC are the seen of shady activity. It is a place where people can congregate without drawing attention, and is typically full of youths, the people who are most likely to commit crime in JC. Increased policing of public areas and areas with high volumes of foot traffic is only good practice. Also I hate to say it but JC need Rudy Guliani type policing, I know it is extreme but the criminals must know this is not permitted. In NYC those jerks on Wayne St. would be thrown in a van question and have the crap kicked out of them as would their customers by the "special police". After this happens like twice you wouldn't see nearly as much activity there. The only people who I have seen confront the jerks who hang out there are the Guardian Angels, I once saw a guy pushing a kid asking him why he was selling dope in the playground and how he wasn't going to have it in his neighborhood.

Quote:

Quote:
pchops wrote:

Re: "Loiterers" at 2nd and Erie #11

The Guardian Angels were at 2nd and Erie because of the Downtown JC Watch meeting.

The Guardian Angels are not paid security to work in a neighborhood that they are not invited in. It's a partnership between a neighborhood association and the Guardian Angels who are volunteers.

They patrol with us because we can get people to patrol with them. We also patrolled in Bergen Lafayette with the Neighborhood Association there and the Guardian Angels have been helping Communipaw Avenue Block Association with the teen summit.

If you believe they should not be patrolling downtown, please email me and let me know where you are willing to patrol with them. They will be more than happy to patrol with you.

The JCPD will be providing blockwatch training as well. When we patrol, the JCPD is also aware and the officers patrol with on in their cars. One time they were in plainsclothes which was cool. [...]

Posted on: 2008/3/9 19:41
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
I hope they're as effective as the Guardian Angels. Speaking of the GA, has anyone heard of a single thing that they've thwarted since being here??? Are they even still here???

Posted on: 2008/3/9 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
"I don't think Hudson County has the kind of the problem you see in other counties," DeFazio said. "There is a diverse ethnic population in this county, and there are many economic opportunities that offer people an alternative to gang activity."

A bit quixotic on Mr. DeFazio's part. He should have also elaborated on the "economic opportnities that offer people an alternative to gang activity" because gang related crime is a big problem in Jersey City with no easy remedy. Generally, teens involved in something constructive aren't enamored with the gang culture which is glorified in music and videos, but blaming pop culture won't solve anything.

Getting law enforcement more involved is a good first step, but then what? Kids get out of the youth house eventually if they broke the law, but their reading and math skills are so low that meaningful job training and employment are beyond their reach. It's a terrible cycle.

Volunteerism in their early teens, Boy and Girl Scouts, and something resembling NYC's Sunshine Fund might save a few. Any ideas?

Posted on: 2008/3/9 18:54

New task force ganging up on gangs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
New task force ganging up on gangs
Hudson County Prosecutor's Office starts 11-man unit

Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter
03/09/2008

The new anti-gang task force operated by the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office was activated starting last week.

What it means is there is now another weapon in the fight against gangs, according to Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio.

"Obviously the gang problem in this county has not gone away and is still a top priority as far as I am concerned," DeFazio said.

The new task force will be comprised of 11 members - five detectives from the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office including the commander of the new unit, Lt. Keith Stith; two officers from the Hudson County Sheriff's Office, two State Police troopers, one member of the Hudson County Division of Corrections, and one from the NJ Division of Parole. The unit will be based in the county's Public Safety office on Duncan Avenue on the west side of Jersey City.

DeFazio said this anti-gang unit is an expanded group from a previous two-man team that worked out of the Prosecutor's Office.

He said the task force will be working with the various municipal police departments in the county whenever there is a homicide that is gang-related.

The towns of Jersey City and Union City in particular have had to deal with the proliferation of organized gangs such as the Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings, DDP (Dominicans Don't Play), and MS-13, as well as other scattered "wannabe" gangs.

'GangTrak'

DeFazio said the new, enlarged task force will not only do actual investigating but also gathering of gang intelligence.

He said having members of the task force culled from various law enforcement agencies will help improve the relationship between agencies when it comes to sharing information on gang activity.

"In the past, there hasn't been the kind of cooperation in terms of sharing information, and we want it to get better," DeFazio said.

He said once the new task force they gather the information, they will be able to put it in a database known as GangTrak that keeps records on all gangs, gang members, weapons, gang contacts, vehicles, and cross references between the different categories.

10 out of 12 towns

And there will be plenty of activity for the taskforce to gather information from, if the 2007 Gang Survey done by the New Jersey State Police is any indication. It is a survey of responses from 562 New Jersey's 566 municipalities regarding gang presence or absence in their communities.

Among the findings of the survey was that in 2007, 10 of 12 Hudson County municipalities reported gang activity.

Jersey City was the worst offender in the county, with 11 gang-related homicides and serving as a base for eight of the top 14 most prevalent gangs in the state, according to the NJ State Police.

The report also found that Hudson County has 89 percent of its land area located in municipalities reporting the presence of gangs, and that 97 percent of the county's population lives in municipalities reporting a gang presence.

The gangs operating in the Hudson County were found to be most active, besides violent crime, in these major criminal activities: drug trafficking, residential burglary, vehicle theft, and shoplifting.

But DeFazio downplayed the gang problem in Hudson County as out of control.

"I don't think Hudson County has the kind of the problem you see in other counties," DeFazio said. "There is a diverse ethnic population in this county, and there are many economic opportunities that offer people an alternative to gang activity."

He also credits all the Police Departments in the county as well as the Hudson County Sheriff's Office for being very "vigilant" in dealing with gang activity.

To read Ricardo Kaulessar's 2005 story, "The gangs of Jersey City: Bloods, Latin Kings, and 'R.O.C.,'
click on

http://www.zwire.com/site/index.cfm?n ... =461&dept_id=523584&rfi=8

Comments on this story can be sent to rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 15:03

Re: 300 students trained to resist joining gangs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
this requires training?

Posted on: 2008/3/7 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad to see that someone's at least thinking about prevention, but I sure hope these kids got more at their press-friendly "graduation" ceremony than a certificate.

like maybe, I dunno, after-school activities, sports programs, tutoring....

what's more effective, telling kids there are other options, or actually making those options available?

put your money where your mouth is, JC.

oh wait....abatements....

Posted on: 2008/3/7 20:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure that I would agree with your position on this issue. For the reason that if this program is able to offer kids other options (and some hope), then it will have an impact. Of course it's not enough to JUST SAY NO, as this by itself is an empty gesture, but if this program can be supported by additional action and positive curriculum, then I believe it will have a chance to help.

Gangs proliferate best in areas where despair runs rampant and hope is non-existent. This scenario plays out all over the world and is not by mistake. Development of well though out programs to combat this problem is a step in the right direction. Doing nothing will only result in a steeper cost to society (i.e. prision cost, impact of crime, etc.).

I guess we can all dream ....

Posted on: 2008/3/7 18:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/21 16:22
Group:
Registered Users
And this will work about as well as the "Just say no" or "Say yes to abstinence" campaigns which lead to a rise in drug addicted, pregnant teenagers. The fact of the matter is, (and I know this from experience) making them aware of such things at a young age will just get some of them interested in something that they probably knew nothing about before. However, I will dare to dream of a better tomorrow.

Posted on: 2008/3/7 17:55

300 students trained to resist joining gangs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
300 students trained to resist joining gangs

Friday, March 07, 2008

About 300 Jersey City students graduated from the U.S. Marshals Service Gang Resistance Education and Training program at School 38 yesterday morning.

"Prevention starts at an early age and requires that police officers and other law enforcement officials have personal interaction with students," Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said at the 9 a.m. ceremony at the Stegman Street school.

The third-, fourth-, and fifth-graders are among students in five U.S. cities who received training from the Marshals Service in the pilot program.

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

Posted on: 2008/3/7 15:01

Re: Ideas to discourage gang activity?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
why is it my responsibility to deal with these scumf*ckers?

why don't their parents step up and talk them out of it?

or is it my fault that their parents dont talk them out of gangs because i'm gentrifying the neighborhood?

i love when i get told it's my fault for the existing troubles.....

solution? let me start shooting gangbangers....

(ps - i dont believe private citizens should own guns)...

let the flame begin!

pps - my dog walks on a leash!!!

Posted on: 2008/3/7 6:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bill wrote:
Just spay their women... The cost of a prisoner in jail is 20-35k a year. Why not offer some money and get them fixed.

Or, alternately, why not castrate the male gang members?

Posted on: 2008/3/7 4:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/11 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Where about are you, anywhere near the Grove PATH station? I would suggest organize some sort of neighborhood watch group. Find groupd of people who care about the neighborhood they live in and do night watch and alert?

Posted on: 2008/3/7 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Just spay their women... The cost of a prisoner in jail is 20-35k a year. Why not offer some money and get them fixed.

Posted on: 2008/3/6 4:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe we could borrow this for a while...

"It's no longer the stuff of science fiction: the Pentagon has a real-life ray gun! It's officially called the

"Active Denial System"

and it shoots out a 100,000 watt beam of invisible radio waves which stops a person in their tracks. "

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/145/the_ray_gun

Posted on: 2008/3/6 3:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/18 20:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
"Target: Hu-man
Mission: Des-troy, des-troy, des-troy, des-troy"

Posted on: 2008/3/6 0:53
We are what we pretend to be. So we must be careful what we pretend to be - Vonnegut

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/29 15:11
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
contact this guy from Atlanta and get one of these: Resized Image

full story here: BoingBoing

Posted on: 2008/3/6 0:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/8 16:02
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jennymayla wrote:
And if it's registered, it's cool, right? Just wonderin...

Yes, definitely registered, but no monogramming! That's just too tacky.

Posted on: 2008/3/4 15:57
Come on and rock me Amadeus

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

misterdude wrote:
It's "Vuitton" and I would never carry my gun in my LV handbag! It would be in my LV hip holster.

And if it's registered, it's cool, right? Just wonderin...

Posted on: 2008/3/4 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Ideas to discourage gang activity?

this will discourage gang activity:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/3/4 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
You can't do anything about Gang activity or speeders, people who run stop signs, litterers, the guy blasting his music, the hordes of people screaming and yelling outside the many city bars, the a-hole who left his shopping cart in front of your car at Target or in front of your property, the drug-dealers, the poor street lighting, etc. etc. So do the popular "feel good' thing and pick on the dog walkers of Hamilton Park. It's an EASY target and it relieves frustration.

Posted on: 2008/3/4 0:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
hahaha you should get in touch with LV and pitch the idea, misterdude! You could be the first fashion pioneer for protective firearms!

Posted on: 2008/3/3 22:17
We are what we pretend to be. So we must be careful what we pretend to be - Vonnegut

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/8 16:02
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
It's "Vuitton" and I would never carry my gun in my LV handbag! It would be in my LV hip holster.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 22:11
Come on and rock me Amadeus

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bloodtv wrote:
George Romeo said it best...and ever so eloquently..."Shoot 'em in the head".

It kills all brain activity and stops the nonsense. You don't like it? Face reality. We must all pack guns and shoot 'em all in the head. If the police don't protect us, we must protect ourselves. And, don't get all namby pamby on my ass! The facts are there are barely educated teens, pre-teens, and post teens causing havoc on the streets...answer...buy a gun and shoot 'em in the head! Nuff said!

And if you remember Romero's work well, you know there aren't enough bullets to solve the problem. This applies to zombies AND gang members. Plus, I'd feel a whole lot less safe with a trigger happy neighbor walking around with a handgun inside of her Louis Vitton handbag.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 22:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 10:24
Group:
Registered Users
George Romeo said it best...and ever so eloquently..."Shoot 'em in the head".

It kills all brain activity and stops the nonsense. You don't like it? Face reality. We must all pack guns and shoot 'em all in the head. If the police don't protect us, we must protect ourselves. And, don't get all namby pamby on my ass! The facts are there are barely educated teens, pre-teens, and post teens causing havoc on the streets...answer...buy a gun and shoot 'em in the head! Nuff said!

Posted on: 2008/3/3 16:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/25 14:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

pchops wrote:

Next time you see drug activity, try to figure out who is the main drug dealer (normally the person inside the building) and who are the footmen (normally the kids on the street). Try to figure out who is the distributor (vehicle despcription and car license plate). Call narcotics at 201.547.5391.

I really respect the fact that you are a good narcotics detective and I'm genuinely grateful for all that you've done, but I'm not a good detective.

If the Jersey City police are saying, "Call us when it looks as if there are a bunch of guys who just plain look and sound as if they are up to no good hanging out, and then we'll send a plainsclothes officer to observe the situation," I can do that.

But if the police are saying, "Figure out who the dealer is or we won't even come," I think that's unrealistic.

Also: I don't really know if, statistically, the Van Vorst Park/Harsimus Cove/Hamilton Park is having a crime wave or not. But, if it is, that whole area is really very small. One guy on a bike or a motorcycle should be able to ride along every street here in about half an hour. And someone hovering overhead in a helicopter ought to be able to scope out the entire neighborhood in about three minutes.

So, my inclination is to think that, if the police say they need detailed information about who the dealer is before they can do anything, that means they really don't want to do anything.

It's not that the police don't want to do anything and if you beleive that, you are mistaken.

You have to realize that people who commit crimes are very crafty and cunning. Most of them who have been arrested, know how police work and can spot police from a distance. So if a marked unit etc. approaches them, they will cease their illegal activity.

That's why the police have plain clothes officers in unmarked cars but even that is not enough. Criminals pay close attention to their environment and are easily alerted to things that are out of the ordinary. i.e. the same car passing by several times and/ or an unfamiliar person hanging around for a long period of time. (plain clothes officers).

That is why we must work together with the police to protect our streets from these criminals. So, go to the community meetings, call police when you see suspicious activity, and be an active member in the fight to protect our neighborhoods from criminals. If criminals are bothered enough by us and police, they will go somewhere else....

Posted on: 2008/3/3 16:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/29 20:47
Group:
Registered Users
YMCA? Skatepark? kids need an outlet

Posted on: 2008/3/3 14:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/3 23:53
Group:
Registered Users
You can not reason with an animal, you have to respond with what they know and gang members seem to understand violence.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
That's a horrible idea.

Posted on: 2008/3/3 14:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/3 23:53
Group:
Registered Users
I think this would work, but it might get you arrested or shot:

-get like mided individuals... 15-20 would be adequate ...particularly people who are not afraid to get hurt

-get a conversion van with doors on the side and the back

-get some baseball bats, broomsticks, and billiard balls wrapped in an old tee shirts

-acquire some halloween masks, ski masks, etc... its important to remain anonymous (police intervention and what not)

-pull up in front of them and pile out of the van without saying a word

-began beating the hooligans immediately, do not exchange confrotational words or blustering

-jump back in the van and drive away

-repeat as often as needed

Posted on: 2008/3/3 14:08

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact