Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 »

Re: Taqueria
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
I used to love Taqueria, it was one of my favorite eating spots in jersey city. The first time my wife and i brought in our 5 month old sleeping baby, they treated us like crap. I will never step foot in that place again.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rollergirl wrote:
I just wanted to post my recent experience at Taqueria.
We arrived with 3 adults and 3 kids. Two 4 yr olds and one 18 mth old.
As soon as we arrived the waiter showed us to the corner table next to the speakers.
I said, "the music is really loud, can we sit somewhere else?" He said, "no".
I said, "if we can't sit somewhere else can you turn the music down?" He said, "no".
Then I asked for a high chair. He showed us where they were. We got the high chair ourselves and it was disgusting. Caked on with food.
I said, "can you clean off the high chair?" He grabbed a dry cloth, ran it over the top of the chair and turned to walk away.
I said that it needed to be really cleaned, it was covered with grease and filth.
He didn't clean it.
We decided to leave because at this point the experience had fully been spoiled.
We told the manager at the counter why we were leaving and he just shrugged his shoulders.
I will never return to Taqueria.

Report them to both health departments the one in J.C. and the other in Hudson County. This place is bizzare they must get customers that accept or are ignorant to anything around them, I am so glad you left the place. The tell tale signs were there and you adhered to them. I can't believe how adament they were at the restaurant....no, no, no, and the dirty cloth to boot. And why would you place speakers next to the chairs. I find this a lot in establishments and not just the volume but the tempo as well, not good for eating or digesting. I think people today are either immune or just accept their surroundings without protest. A good way for marketers to cloud the mind with clutter. I bet thewaiter along with the manager don't get paid enough to care; probably annoyed with life itself. They shouldn't work in a people oriented enviroment. Trouble is the pay rate and attitude never coinside.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
If you were the same family that was in there letting your kids scream while you tuned it out, then good riddance.

If not, bummer, but "family places" don't usually have AC/DC stools.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 15:04

Taqueria

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/11 18:59
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted to post my recent experience at Taqueria.
We arrived with 3 adults and 3 kids. Two 4 yr olds and one 18 mth old.
As soon as we arrived the waiter showed us to the corner table next to the speakers.
I said, "the music is really loud, can we sit somewhere else?" He said, "no".
I said, "if we can't sit somewhere else can you turn the music down?" He said, "no".
Then I asked for a high chair. He showed us where they were. We got the high chair ourselves and it was disgusting. Caked on with food.
I said, "can you clean off the high chair?" He grabbed a dry cloth, ran it over the top of the chair and turned to walk away.
I said that it needed to be really cleaned, it was covered with grease and filth.
He didn't clean it.
We decided to leave because at this point the experience had fully been spoiled.
We told the manager at the counter why we were leaving and he just shrugged his shoulders.
I will never return to Taqueria.

Posted on: 2008/5/16 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Bronx--I should have added a smiley after my comment--I was completely joking, and poking fun at "shill outers." Plus, so far, we are in commune as far as our appreciation of particular food establishments. I particularly love Grand Sichuan, am not exaggerating when I say I will not eat at any other Chinese restaurant (unless it is a work function and I have to). So thank you for your post about GS--it added enormous pleasure to an otherwise crummy day when I learned the news. Please--don't hold back!!

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Ever since there was a thread here about the best burger in JC and I tried the first and second choices in the thread, I stopped paying attention to food reviews on jclist.

A goodly number of people recommended the #1 and #2 burger establishments.

#1 burger sucked in a major way, and #2 made me sick.

So much for jclist food connoiseurs (most of them have gone to the other list, anyway).

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/27 15:05
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I swear, I give up. I've been registered to this forum for a few months, but just started posting a few days ago. I find it remarkable that genuine enthusiasm for good food is immediately taken as "shilling." I also belong to Chowhound and eGullet, where I've been posting for a long time. I've been in downtown Jersey City for eleven years, and have found many of our food options to be complete and utter crap (at least in my humble opinion). Now that there are a number of places serving great, affordable food, I'm excited about it and want to share that with our neighbors. I'm not a shill, I don't work for a restaurant. I'm a music publicist who really likes to eat, and likes to share my enthusiasm with like-minded folks. People shouldn't be so cynical, especially when a positive comment is posted about a restaurant that's doing well. It's not like everyone else is saying "oh, the food there is crap" and then one dissenting voice pops up with "yay! I think the food is great!"

Finding good, authentic, CHEAP Mexican food makes me very happy. Tortilla soup is one of my faves and isn't often found on local menus.

I think people need to lighten up.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
We eat out all the time and are very supportive of local places -- Taqueria wrote right on the menu their ten commandments about what they WON'T serve because it isn't authentic -- oh well, it just makes one wonder if they really do use lard in cooking as some have stated. In any event we eat fish & cactus tacos there -- it just would be nice to see some vegetable and non-fried / non-greasy things on the menu -- guess we just aren't with the Atkins diet program.

Again we like the vibe in there and that it is a cool BYOB but being below ground in that area which floods isn't cool -- it is really disconcerting that you have to walk up a stair to go to the bathroom.

I hope they stick around forever -- I don't mind the hipster attitude of the employees -- it is kind of refreshing -- I hate fake friendliness.

Quote:

cbg wrote:
Are there any restaurants you don't wish had something else?

the vegetarian situation is true with most restaurants in jersey city. The owners miss out on a great opportunity when they treat vegetarian dishes like sides. If they put more effort into them and made them more filling they could compete with the meat dishes in quality and price. But at the Taqueria and others, the vegetables are an afterthought to the well cooked and seasoned meats.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think bronx is clearly shilling for Taqueria--that was an inordinate number of "m"s to describe a simple bowl of soup. Bronx must be some kind of jc restaurant robber baron!

Posted on: 2008/2/20 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
We eat out all the time and are very supportive of local places -- Taqueria wrote right on the menu their ten commandments about what they WON'T serve because it isn't authentic -- oh well, it just makes one wonder if they really do use lard in cooking as some have stated. In any event we eat fish & cactus tacos there -- it just would be nice to see some vegetable and non-fried / non-greasy things on the menu -- guess we just aren't with the Atkins diet program.

Again we like the vibe in there and that it is a cool BYOB but being below ground in that area which floods isn't cool -- it is really disconcerting that you have to walk up a stair to go to the bathroom.

I hope they stick around forever -- I don't mind the hipster attitude of the employees -- it is kind of refreshing -- I hate fake friendliness.

Quote:

cbg wrote:

Posted on: 2008/2/20 18:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 16:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I just wish they had more vegetarian options -- that and I wish the place was at street level -- that corner really floods out in heavy rains -- even the bathrooms in the place require you to walk up a step to go in.

Still I really like them being here - but I avoid them after heavy rains.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 18:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/27 15:05
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I second the wish for vegetarian options, but I do love their food. If you're ever there when they're offering the Tortilla Soup (it's only offered as a mid-week special) and you're not a vegetarian, i highly recommend it. Mmmmm!

Posted on: 2008/2/20 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I just wish they had more vegetarian options -- that and I wish the place was at street level -- that corner really floods out in heavy rains -- even the bathrooms in the place require you to walk up a step to go in.

Still I really like them being here - but I avoid them after heavy rains.

Quote:

The_JC_Critic wrote:
Just don"t be a sissy and you will have a great time

Posted on: 2008/2/19 21:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/21 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
I think the service is great. All you have to do is speak up. You ask for something you get it. you want you table cleared ask and it is done.

I still think it is one of the best in JC.

Just don"t be a sissy and you will have a great time

Posted on: 2008/2/19 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
they are pretty good at the authentic taco. you can't really call it one of the best restaurants due to their lack of service, but the food is excellent.

If they dropped the attitude and hired some mexicans to take the orders and run the tables, they'd have a fine establishment.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 0:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/21 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
This is by far one of the best restuarants in JC.
And the new back patio is great.

Have a lamb taco or teh Enchiladas

Posted on: 2008/2/11 22:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
It's on the corner between 28th and 29th, about 15 mins from downtown JC if you take the turnpike. We were there recently and the tacos are great... $6 per order of three - make sure you browse the menu near the cash register, and check the specials on the board near the kitchen.

Man, about Gloria de Mexico in the Heights... We're there on another taco craving and thought the food was mediocre at best... I'd much rather drive to Bayonne.

Posted on: 2007/11/21 2:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/29 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
What cross street on Broadway in Bayonne is Acapulco located?

Posted on: 2007/11/15 11:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/21 16:22
Group:
Registered Users
Viva la Taqueria!

Posted on: 2007/11/15 0:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
for tacos on monday there's also a bodega called acapulco in bayonne on broadway...walk thru the bodega to the back where there's a couple of small tables...order in the kitchen and they bring it out to you...very tasty...buen provecho...

Posted on: 2007/11/14 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I finally made it to Taqueria last night--for some reason my mex cravings the past few months came on Mondays, and you can't get a taco in downtown JC on a Monday. Well, the food was indeed delicious and I will be going there frequently.

As an aside, a little secret place in the Heights serves food that is equally delicious for even less money, if you find yourself on Palisades Ave. It is not Gloria de Mexico--though I have also eaten there many times. Th place I grew to love is a couple of blocks south, near the corner of South/Palisades. I confess I don't know how to pronounce or spell the name of the restaurant, but trust me, if you like Taqueria tacos, tamales, etc, you will LOVE these. $6 for a plate of 3 tacos, stuffed full, fresh and loaded with meat, onions, cilantro and fresh lime. The tamales are 1.50 each, and delicious. Great mole chicken. I have only been back there once since I moved, may be time for a small field trip.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
I love the food at Taqueria, but was pretty bummed on Saturday night when I went in at 9:40 and was told that it was takeout only at that point. When I asked what time I had to be in by in order to eat in, they said 9:40, and I got the feeling that they weren't being entirely honest with me.

Taqueria seems like the kind of place that would profit by staying open until 11, especially Thurs-Sat.

Posted on: 2007/11/12 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
i finally went to this place after reading all the positive things about it here on jcl. i went earlier this week with my gf about lunchtime.. we both had enchiladas, and they were decent. i came back today with my mom + family to give it another shot. they had the brunch menu which was new to me, but i had the chilaquiles, and it was pretty damn good. definitely will be coming back for round 3 in the near future

Posted on: 2007/8/5 2:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I think the place is fast paced. Place your order, then eat your food. It ain't big, and its busy.

That being said, I do occasionally feel a tad rushed. The food is so good, it's hard to choose. I would hesitate to go so far as to say the service is bad, it's just very NYC style. It's not like their spitting in your food.

That moby guy with the glasses does make me expect them to play a constant loop of Zooropa or something. Haven't seen him around in a while.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 18:22
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/2 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
"Moby's" name is Vincent and he's a really sweet guy! He's French and my husband and I always joke that's why people think he's rude...

I'd go there any day over Beechwood where the wait staff is more concerned with fixing their bangs or the next cigarette break (where have you been that the server smokes outside right in front of you and comes straight in to touch your food?). Or Majestic with it's super ridiculous faux NYC decor...don't get me started...

Taqueria keeps it real. They don't pretend to be something they're not.

I heart them.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 14:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went last evening, probably my 5th or 6th time there. No attitude issues, big guy with the arm cast was fine, lady/owner as sweet as ever. Began with the cactus taco which is fine and spicy. Then the carnitas tortas, one of the most delicious sandwiches I've ever had, anywhere. A JC treasure, that place.

Posted on: 2007/7/29 14:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/8 18:33
Group:
Registered Users
I used to think there was a bit of a 'tude at that restaurant, primarily from the woman who runs the place. But that never stopped me from coming back - nothing could, their food is absolutely all-consuming and delicious.

However, after several visits and innumerable tacos, I've come to realize it's more of a style issue, not an all-out attitude or anything. I think she's a very nice lady, actually. She just can be a little direct at times. Nothing to worry about. Just smile and eat your food.

My only concern now that I realize this is that I may end up eating there even MORE often, which could mean enchiladas three or more times a week.

It hurts so good.

Posted on: 2007/7/25 17:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/20 5:33
Group:
Banned
Love this place. Great food. A little bit surly but only when they are real busy. I love pork tacos.

Posted on: 2007/7/25 6:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:
Owner has an attitude. All of us laugh at that, but the food is so good, we put up with it, like the soup nazi on Seinfeld.

Got to say the husband and wife are two of the nicer people I have met in town, going back to taco truck days. so I think you should leave the "we" out of it, cuz there is nothing to put up with. something tells me your experience is very unique to you, and it effects your impression of everyone around you

My sentiments exactly! +1 for a great place, great food, and love the owner and his wife.

Posted on: 2007/7/25 2:53
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
never a bad experience, never an unfriendly encounter. what do people expect, hugs when they walk in? everyone at Taqueria is pleasant and provides good service.

have eaten there numerous times with children. special requests for jalapeno less quesadilla's are always accomodated.

the only time I could fathom these negative posts would be going perhaps at the busiest time and expecting everything to be perfect.

good food, good service and pleasant environment.

Posted on: 2007/7/25 2:48

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017