Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Renting at New Jersey - safe + closer to the trains - $1500 budget
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm from Long Island, Please do not equate Great Neck to Queens, no offense to those from Queens but there are some seriously seedy areas in Queens and it's much more urban than Long Island where Great Neck is.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 20:48
utterly deplorable

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 7:43
From HPJC
Group:
Registered Users
Someone I work with recently moved to Great Neck, New York. It's in the Queens area. She says she moved there because they have a good public school system for her two children and reports a 25 minute Express train ride to Penn Station (8th and 34th) via the Long Island RR. I visited her for a house warming and I have to say it was quite nice. It reminded me of some areas in Marin County.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Great+Neck,+NY

Posted on: 2008/2/19 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
If you are gonna go that far and want good schools, Princeton- Plainsboro-West Windsor is less than an hour and has top rated public schools. The NJTransit train from Princeton Junction goes to Penn Station. (BTW Princeton Junction is really in part of West Windsor-Plainsboro.) Very nice and very safe but also very very quiet.

Click Link to Princeton - might seach also Plainsboro/West Windsor

Quote:

regulator wrote:
...weehawken is still an easy commute to NYC, although the buses drop you off in midtown and you'd have to take the subway downtown. still, its probably overall less than an hour anyway, and crime in most parts of weehawken is generally low. the main downside in this area is parking.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
just a thought, the original poster might also look into weehawken if jersey city proves to be too gritty. a quick search on craigslist found a few options within his price range

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/ ... =1&maxAsk=1500&bedrooms=1

also, weehawken is still an easy commute to NYC, although the buses drop you off in midtown and you'd have to take the subway downtown. still, its probably overall less than an hour anyway, and crime in most parts of weehawken is generally low. the main downside in this area is parking.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
For MontClair / Glen Ridge / Maplewood - what would be the approximate commute time.

For Montclair, I think it's around 40 mins to Hoboken terminal. From Hoboken, it's an easy transfer to the WTC or 33rd St. PATH to get into the city. The trip from Hoboken to WTC takes 10-15 mins. I'm not sure about Glen Ridge or Maplewood. Jersey City and Hoboken are probably the only two places in NJ where it's possible to live without a car, so if you end up any place else, you'd need a car for shopping, etc. Downtown JC (the Grove Street, Van Vorst Park area), where I live, is pretty safe - just practice common sense street smarts as you would in any other city. If I had a child, though, I doubt I would live here. That's a very personal choice, though, and I'm in no way criticizing people who choose to raise kids in JC. I just would want my kid to grow up like I did: house with big yard to play in, good public schools, not having ot worry about gangs, etc.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 3:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/18 15:50
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
A bit more info might be helpful. How many people are you looking for, it sounds like you've got a young kid who will need to be starting school (or daycare?) soon.

I moved to JC last fall after graduating college. My rent is right around $1500, and I've got a 1BR apartment in an older Brownstone in downtown JC. I'm within about 5-10 minutes of the Grove St. Path which goes straight to World Trade Center or up to 33rd St by Penn Station. My apartment can fit one person comfortably and two people a little cramped so there are definite possibilities right in the area.

As far as safety goes, I don't think you'd have a problem in Downtown or the VVP area. One thing that might make a difference is if you're a male or female or are you living with one. I've walked home at all hours of the night in this area and have never felt unsafe, but I'm also a male and 6'4 though I wouldn't worry about my girl friend in this area. If you were really worried pepper spray or mace might be a decent investment.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
All but the farthest corners of the downtown are less than 3/4 of a mile from the PATH; most streets are less than half or quarter a mile. For most people that means a 5 to 10 minute walk.

Most of the bodega grocery stores around the Grove St PATH station are open until 9 or 10, so assuming you're out of work by 8, you'll still be able to grocery shop after work.

One big advantage of downtown Jersey City over the suburban locations is the variety of commuting options in case one or another fails. Besides the PATH subway, there are ferries and buses, and in the worst situations, a heavy rail to Penn Station via Newark or Secaucus Junction. On the other hand, the suburbs with heavy rail access don't really have any alternative to getting into the city.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/10 19:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
It just occurred to me that if you know Oakland, CA at all, that is probably not so different than JC in the grand scheme of things. It has it's ups and downs just like Oakland -- and the perpetual dream of up and comingness.

Oakland peeps, feel free to correct me...

That was a good comparison for me. I used to live in Berkeley, CA -(which was just close to Oakland - btw) .
So that helps me a lot.

Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
MasterOfFate: A good friend used to live in Mountain View, and I used to visit her there, so I have an idea what you're coming from. If you've never lived in an urban area and are coming from Mountain View, I'm afraid JC might be a bit of a shock to you in many ways. I'd suggest initially renting someplace like Montclair (NYC is pretty accessible by public transportation from there), and as you grow more comfortable with your surroundings, you might want to explore moving closer in to somplace like JC. You also mention wanting good schools nearby. Do you have kids? If so, a place like Montclair might be preferable. Again this is only a suggestion.

+1. Mountain View is a lot different than JC. Montclair, Glen Ridge, Maplewood -- any of those might be worth looking into.

If you do choose JC, you can get to downtown Manhattan in under 30 minutes from just about anywhere on the PATH. And 8pm is usually fine safety-wise (all things considered) -- i was afraid you were going to say 2 am!

For MontClair / Glen Ridge / Maplewood - what would be the approximate commute time.

Can we commute by train to these places and avoid the road altogether (and the traffic - hence ).

Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
MasterOfFate: A good friend used to live in Mountain View, and I used to visit her there, so I have an idea what you're coming from. If you've never lived in an urban area and are coming from Mountain View, I'm afraid JC might be a bit of a shock to you in many ways. I'd suggest initially renting someplace like Montclair (NYC is pretty accessible by public transportation from there), and as you grow more comfortable with your surroundings, you might want to explore moving closer in to somplace like JC. You also mention wanting good schools nearby. Do you have kids? If so, a place like Montclair might be preferable. Again this is only a suggestion.

Thanks JadedJC. When you say public transportation - do you mean a bus / train .. Are there any trains from MontClair to NYC .

I have one who might need to be in school soon ...

Posted on: 2008/2/19 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
It just occurred to me that if you know Oakland, CA at all, that is probably not so different than JC in the grand scheme of things. It has it's ups and downs just like Oakland -- and the perpetual dream of up and comingness.

Oakland peeps, feel free to correct me...

Posted on: 2008/2/18 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Honestly masteroffate your best bet is to find one of the towns outside of jersey city. Alot of people will tell you its pretty safe (or that up and coming nonsense) walking around at night in JSQ or downtown but being realistic here, its not a place you want to be walking at night. I dont know exactly what the place your coming from is like but from what I read its alot different from JC so I really wouldnt recommend this city. As far as school go, HA! please dont put your kids through that, unless they are in highschool st peters prep is the only option. I dont mean to discourage you just trying to give you an alternate option esspecially if you have kids that need to start at a new school. Defenitly check out any of the places mentioned in the posts above me.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 21:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/12 23:21
Group:
Registered Users
Rutherford is probably better for you . You will have culture shock in JC . I am not so sure the JC public school system is where you want to send your child , but I am probably going to start a fight on this site for saying that.
( Academic highschool excluded )

JC is great for a professional who wants to be close to the city and have a half hour commute.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

+1. Mountain View is a lot different than JC. Montclair, Glen Ridge, Maplewood -- any of those might be worth looking into.

If you do choose JC, you can get to downtown Manhattan in under 30 minutes from just about anywhere on the PATH. And 8pm is usually fine safety-wise (all things considered) -- i was afraid you were going to say 2 am!

Posted on: 2008/2/18 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/2/18 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Check the listings here for rentals, check craigslist.com, check the jersey journal at nj.com, check jerseycityreporter.com and pm AvantiGroup (look at the shoutbox, click on his name to pm him)who is a realtor. There are other good rental brokers here just do a search.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 21:14
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

MasterOfFate wrote:
Quote:

AvantiGroup wrote:
Depending on your requirements, you've certainly got the budget for a 1 bedroom downtown. You'll get more bang for your buck in JSQ, however.

I would imagine the downtown might not be so nice a place to roam around in the night . I am asking this because it might get late for me from work at NYC.

Also - how long would it take from the PATH station to the downtown area (by walk , of course ).

I've lived downtown for over 25 years, and few problems if you use common sense.

BTW, the Grove PATH Station is downtown and only a few minutes walk to most neighborhoods including Harsimus Cove, Hamilton Park, Powerhouse Arts District and Van Vorst Park areas. I live in Harsimus Cove and only 5 minute walk. When I worked in NYC I came home often at 2, 3, 4AM after hanging out at jazz clubs, and never a problem.

Good luck wherever you choose!

Thanks BrightMoment for the encouraging news.

As far as the areas go - can you suggest some good apartments in the locations that you had already referred to, in (Harsimus Cove / Hamilton Park etc. )

I am immediately looking to rent the place - but if my wallet and the economy permits - I might be want to purchase one nearby.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 21:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Where are you moving from? That might help people come up with similar suggestions. If you live in an urban area now, JC will feel pretty familiar (kinda, but it's JC, so...). If not, you may want to look further out along the NJT route.

Thanks jennymayla .. I have never lived in an urban area ..I am moving from Mountain View, CA. In terms of safety - I have never had any issues here since I used to do groceries late in the night after work.

I am definitely not expecting that luxury here - but I am looking for a safe walk from the PATH station to the home late in the night - around 8p or something similar to that.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MasterOfFate wrote:
Quote:

AvantiGroup wrote:
Depending on your requirements, you've certainly got the budget for a 1 bedroom downtown. You'll get more bang for your buck in JSQ, however.

I would imagine the downtown might not be so nice a place to roam around in the night . I am asking this because it might get late for me from work at NYC.

Also - how long would it take from the PATH station to the downtown area (by walk , of course ).

I've lived downtown for over 25 years, and few problems if you use common sense.

BTW, the Grove PATH Station is downtown and only a few minutes walk to most neighborhoods including Harsimus Cove, Hamilton Park, Powerhouse Arts District and Van Vorst Park areas. I live in Harsimus Cove and only 5 minute walk. When I worked in NYC I came home often at 2, 3, 4AM after hanging out at jazz clubs, and never a problem.

Good luck wherever you choose!

Posted on: 2008/2/18 21:00
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Welcome to the area!

Apartments in Journal Square are generally a lot less expensive than they are Downtown. The streets in the area are relatively safe, and the area is definitely on an upswing. You will probably see a lot more children than you would in downtown, since a lot of families live in the areas north and south of Journal Square. There are a lot of retail outlets and new stores/restaurants (and a new gym too from what I hear!) opening in the area. Best of luck with your search!

Thanks jcwalkingman!! Are there any good schools nearby ....

Posted on: 2008/2/18 20:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AvantiGroup wrote:

Posted on: 2008/2/18 20:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am moving from Mountain View, CA.

Out here - crime is literally non-existent. Hence my expectations might be pretty tall and unfair !!!

Car breakins are fine with me .. I don't keep anything valuable in my car and my car is not that expensive either.

But I am mostly concerned with mugging .. Seeing somebody holding a weapon when I return back from work might be something that I am not too happy about...

Posted on: 2008/2/18 20:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/21 13:30
From jsq
Group:
Registered Users
jsq is a good location ,in your price range.check out the st. johns apt. there are a few apts. for rent there,and they are very nice(doorman) bldgs.
also try the brunswick towers.
it might be worth getting a realtor even for a rental.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Where are you moving from? That might help people come up with similar suggestions. If you live in an urban area now, JC will feel pretty familiar (kinda, but it's JC, so...). If not, you may want to look further out along the NJT route.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
If you are willing to travel by train up to an hour, anywhere on the Northeast Corridor (NJ Transit Heavy Rail) north of Edison will fit this requirement, or along the Bergen / Main Line in north Jersey. Both provide weekend and late night rail service.

Alternately, Bayonne is along the light rail line and probably fits your requirements as well, though the light rail line stops running earlier at night.

If you need 24 hour access to New York and want to commute by train, the only real option is to live along the PATH system. $1500 probably gets you a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown Jersey City and in Journal Square a larger 1 bedroom or 2bdrm. Also Harrison has a PATH station, is comparatively inexpensive, and while I assume its a safe enough place, I can't speak authoritatively on safety.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

When you say "safety" is your primary concern, how high are your standards? Have you lived in urban areas before? Does a place need to have almost no crime in order to be considered "safe"? Anywhere in Jersey City is going to have some crime - at very least car break-ins and perhaps an occasional mugging. If you're willing to commute up to an hour one way you might be better off looking at one of the suburbs along NJ Transit. I found Cranford to be pretty nice when I worked there, for example.

Don't get me wrong - I love Jersey City. I just don't think it's the safest place you can find.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 16:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/18 20:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/2/18 15:50
We are what we pretend to be. So we must be careful what we pretend to be - Vonnegut

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to the area!

Apartments in Journal Square are generally a lot less expensive than they are Downtown. The streets in the area are relatively safe, and the area is definitely on an upswing. You will probably see a lot more children than you would in downtown, since a lot of families live in the areas north and south of Journal Square. There are a lot of retail outlets and new stores/restaurants (and a new gym too from what I hear!) opening in the area. Best of luck with your search!

Posted on: 2008/2/18 5:00

Renting at New Jersey - safe + closer to the trains - $1500 budget

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All -
I have got a job at New York, near the downtown. I am totally new to the area . I know New York is pretty expensive - so thinking of commuting from New Jersey.

I am totally new to the area and am looking for a good area to move in - with better security during the night (my job might be demanding enough to come back late in the night) and good schools nearby.

Also preferably I want to commute by train and any place with access to some sort of train would definitely help.

I am looking to rent somewhere upto 1500 per month and a 1-way commute of upto 1 hr.

Safety and vicinity to groceries are my primary considerations.

I heard the area near JSQ is good from different forums. If someone can help me with the actual details - it would be great.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 3:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017