Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: Savas - Polish Cafeteria Opens on Grove Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
We tried Sava's for the first time on Saturday 2.16.08.

Resized Image
Heading north on Grove St. Newark Ave can be seen in the distance.

Resized Image
Sava's is sandwiched between DJ Garden and PostNet - no sign yet.

Resized Image
Specials of the day

Resized Image

Resized Image
Upon entering, to the left...

Resized Image
To the right...

Resized Image
Sava is not shy about expressing her opinions

Resized Image
Kielbasa bliss

Resized Image
Lunch Specials

Resized Image
The steam table. Meals are also prepared fresh to order. The chicken soup and cold borsht are popular.

Resized Image
Meat loaf, kielbasa/kraut and rice

Resized Image
Polish soul food: home made pierogies , meat loaf and stuffed cabbage

Resized Image

Resized Image
Jams, pickles, kasha, mushrooms, chocolate bars and much more...

Resized Image
Eastern Europeans love their mushrooms

Resized Image
Fresh bread

Resized Image
The dairy case

Resized Image
Smakowita!?

Resized Image
Desert

Resized Image

To view larger image using Firefox:
Right click image, view image

Posted on: 2008/2/17 18:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/1 23:26
Group:
Registered Users
We ate lunch at Sava's yesterday. Our selections on the menu included: kielbasa with sauerkraut, potato salad and chicken soup. Everything was delicious, real homemade taste! The chicken soup is to die for, just like my mom's! Yadwiga is very friendly and accommodating, she asked if I would like the soup heated in the microwave or on the stove. The only downside is they don't have plates/bowls for soup, so I ate from the plastic container. The decor is rather simple, but there is a lot of light in this place and a cute fish tank by the window. The next time we go we'll try the poppy seed roll for dessert!

Posted on: 2008/2/17 15:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/18 15:50
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I went there the other night, got Kielbasa sauerkraut and pierogies. I'm usually not a sauerkraut fan, but even that was delicious. They also have a freezer with multiple assortments of homemade kielbasa, and when I asked her she said that she'd also sell homemade pierogies. I always end up getting the Hillshire farms Kielbasa at shop rite then end up regretting it, so that will be really nice and it'll be great to be able to get homemade fresh pierogies.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 18:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/5 1:22
From the heights
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I ate Valentine's Day dinner at Sava's. Tres romantique! We had kielbasa and sauerkraut entrees and some pierogies on the side. The kraut was excellent, with little chunks of ham or ham-like meat mixed in. The pierogies were not quite like grandma used to make (none ever are), but delicious nonetheless.

Next time you venture in to Sava's, check out the wacky David Bowie waiter painting. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

Posted on: 2008/2/16 1:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/16 1:37
Group:
Registered Users
Went to Sava's today at 12 - There was a steady stream of people when we were there.
The combo plate with the Kielbasa was really good - so were the pierogies. Homemade mashed potatoes, with little potato chunks!!!! Yum. Also had the spinach stuffed chicken breast - good, but not a fan of the egg coating. Can't wait for Borsch soup day!
I picked up some packaged "Cream Cheese Cookies" which I thought I give a try and I'm glad I did - they're addictive!
Over all, Savas has a very good home cooked taste - rare now a days with so many chain restaurants everywhere.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 22:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I tried Savas yesterday.

I got Kielbasa w/kraut, rice and veggie, & Meat Loaf, pierogi, and pasta.

All of them are pretty good. Kielbasa was little dry, but with kraut, was very yummy.

My fav was Meat Loaf. It was soft and moist, and the best part was mushroom gravy! It was not too thick, but very flavorful. I would go back just for the gravy.

Although she overcharged me a few buck more, I didn't care. I was going to tip her. She was cooking Chicken cutlet, pork chop and serving me all at the same time.

It's great to have a place like Sava in walk distance. Great addition in downtown!

Posted on: 2008/2/15 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
If this is the place I'm thinking of - I have thought this entire time it was a pastry shop with the signage, walls painted a certain way - then my hubby and I went in for a coffee and were shocked when we couldn't really get one that wasn't hard for them to do - our fault really - because it wasn't a coffee shop. It advertises that in it's design and signage, seriously I thought the paint on the window was doughnuts or something but I think it's home cooked food?

If I knew what it was, I'd go in because man, I love a home cooked meal like THAT! I was always wondering where the smell of potato pancakes was coming from? I saw signage saying closed for a week or so, I'll re-read this post but I am thoroughly convinced if they re-painted, did new signage and had it appear like what it is, and possibly serve good hearty coffee/soups too, they will come.....

Posted on: 2008/2/13 13:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/18 15:50
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
This restaurant is now on my list to visit Thursday night, and then possibly again some time this weekend. I'm 3/4 Polish, and while I can't speak a word of it, I did grow up with a fond love of Polish food. If you're a meat and potatoes person, I would recommend getting Kielbasa and Pierogies, which is pretty much my ideal comfort food.

I'd have to say that it doesn't sound to promising so far (in terms of the amount of customers not the food), and unfortunately I think that this really is the worst time of year for her to open. With the cold, you really do end up with people not going out for food as much, or more often ordering delivery.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 3:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/26 13:39
Group:
Registered Users
I went today for lunch for the 1st time. I don't live in JC, but work right down the street. Let me tell you how nice it was to get a great home cooked meal - for $5 I got kielbasa, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. Everything was delicious - I've never had sauerkraut that good before.

I also asked how business was, and she mentioned not many people walk that far down. To be honest, I think part of the problem is the lack of a sign out front - I'll admit I would not have eaten there unless I had read these posts beforehand.

It would be a shame if this place did not survive - I am so tired of walking out of my office and seeing Subway, Stella's, and Wild Fusion staring me in the face. If she had some $ to invest in the place it could be a hit - a nice sign, paint the walls a soft color, background music, etc. As it is, I think the only people who will go there are people like us who appreciate home cooking at affordable prices (and don't mind the lack of ambience. Unfortunately, there are too many people for whom a Subway combo meal or 2 slices of pizza is the norm.

Guess I better try and go there as many times as I can if she's close to going under....

Posted on: 2008/2/13 2:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
Went today, and it was quite good. Got myself a platter of pierogies, kolbassi, saurkraut, and stuffed cabbage. Maybe I didn't say the secret password, cause I'm a bit hungry yet (or maybe I'm just a gluttonous bastard). Definitely worth at least trying. I'll definitely be visiting again sometime soon, I hope these guys make it!

Posted on: 2008/2/13 2:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/21 16:22
Group:
Registered Users
Let's go guys, eat up, support, - Smacznego! Zdrowie pan'!

Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

justjoe wrote:
Reality check re the future of Sava - and your chance to make a difference.

I stopped into Sava yesterday around 3pm and came away very sad. The food is terrific. All prepared fresh, home made style. The portions are generous. The prices are low. The place is spotlessly clean in the Polish tradition.

The problem is, she's not getting the business she needs. She not going to survive unless things change.

The owner is a sweet, charming and sincere woman named Jadwiga (yahd-vee'-gah). She was almost in tears. If I understood her correctly (her English has limits) I was her first customer of the afternoon. The buffet looked it. The trays were full and appeared untouched.

She did say that the past weekend was "OK" but she will not survive for long given the situation she has. Since she was open about it, and offered the information without my asking - beyond a "how's business?" - I will repeat what she told me.

At this point, she can't pay next month's rent. She says her landlord has already told her he will evict if she doesn't.

My point is, if you care about this quality of food, she needs customers.

Go eat now while you can.

Sava Polish Deli
346 Grove St.
Jersey City
201-451-1901

I get it! Save-a Polish Deli!! I will give it a shot this week. Sounds like excellent comfort food. Maybe they should put velvet ropes out front?

Posted on: 2008/2/12 20:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/5 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bolew wrote:
"Oh! Why did a tall, handsome Polish boy like you marry a filipino?!?!"

I want to say upfront that I take no offense to this comment. I have and will continue to frequent Savas for their delicious food and warm demeanor.

With that said.... here's one for my Filipina sisters:

A Polish woman goes into a store and asks the clerk, "I'd like some Polish Sausage."
The clerk looks at her and says, "Are you Polish?"
She says, "Well, yes I am, but, if I had asked for Italian sausage would you ask me if I was Italian??? Or if I had asked for German sausage, would you ask me if I was German??? Or if I wanted a taco would you ask if I was Mexican???"
The clerk says, "Well, no."
Then she says, "WELL, why do you ask me if I'm Polish just because I ask for Polish sausage?????"
The clerk says, "Because this is a hardware store."

Posted on: 2008/2/12 20:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
count me as a non-Polish yuppie who'll make it out to Sava's sometime in the next week... I was introduced to pierogies in college and like them quite a bit.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Well yes, this is always the issue in neighborhoods undergoing gentrification. People say they want the small family owned businesses. The affordable ethnic restaurants. The independent bookstores. But rents make it difficult.

Still, it seems that some businesses have figured out how to make it. Ibby's Falafel has been going strong for a decade. Taqueria seems to have made it. El Sason may not appeal to some JC listers, but seems to have carved out its niche.

I'd love to see a place like Sava's make it. But I will say that if someone is, in their first year of operation, already worrying that they can't pay next month's rent, that it doesn't bode well. Any new business has to expect that it will operate at a loss early on and have enough invested upfront to take that into account.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
I'm at least one yuppie who is! :)

Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:53
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I also ate there last night for the first time. We had the breaded pork with a ton of rice and an ice cream scoopful of cabbage & mashed, kielbasa with sauerkraut & 6 pierogis for only $15. We went around 5 and did take out... nobody else was in there as well. The food was awesome, the lady was very nice. Will be back, hopefully sooner than later... getting hard to decide where to go out to eat!

Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
I recall that Tania's had a steady clientele of cops and construction workers looking for an inexpensive, tasty, and nutritious meal.

But with the area's high rents, it will be tough going trying to keep the prices low for that type of demographics.

Bolew is right, yuppies are not looking for Polish food.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is sad - she is a real sweetheart, the woman who runs it and the food is great (especially at this time of year!)

Everybody go!

Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:38
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
trp3, sure, I totally understand and didn't take it so seriously. It's not like you only encounter that view among Poles.

justjoe, as I implied, I received a tinge of that also, her difficulties going forward in keeping the place going. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it's going to be tough. This kind of food, good as it is, isn't high on most yuppies' list, I'm afraid. And given the dwindling Polish population in the area...well, it ain't gonna be easy.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps the Jersey Journal or Star Ledger can do a review and tell people where she moved to.

I was looking for this place a few weeks ago, and it was not easy to find. Even at the old location on Newark Avenue near the courthouse, it was easy to walk pass her business and not know that it was open.

She needs help with marketing and advertising.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 13:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
i wish there was a way to get the word out to everyone who works outside in the cold and needs a decent hot meal at a more than fair price.

also, with the price of everything rising, i dont think it would be horrible if the prices were raised.

this is very odd to hear since when we went on friday at 4 there was barely a pierogi in the place, and she said it was too busy to make more...

Posted on: 2008/2/12 11:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/2 11:33
Group:
Registered Users
Reality check re the future of Sava - and your chance to make a difference.

I stopped into Sava yesterday around 3pm and came away very sad. The food is terrific. All prepared fresh, home made style. The portions are generous. The prices are low. The place is spotlessly clean in the Polish tradition.

The problem is, she's not getting the business she needs. She not going to survive unless things change.

The owner is a sweet, charming and sincere woman named Jadwiga (yahd-vee'-gah). She was almost in tears. If I understood her correctly (her English has limits) I was her first customer of the afternoon. The buffet looked it. The trays were full and appeared untouched.

She did say that the past weekend was "OK" but she will not survive for long given the situation she has. Since she was open about it, and offered the information without my asking - beyond a "how's business?" - I will repeat what she told me.

At this point, she can't pay next month's rent. She says her landlord has already told her he will evict if she doesn't.

My point is, if you care about this quality of food, she needs customers.

Go eat now while you can.

Sava Polish Deli
346 Grove St.
Jersey City
201-451-1901

Posted on: 2008/2/12 9:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
bolew,

very funny post, I was laughing reading that because it is right on point with what people can usually expect from Polish people.

In their defense:

I won't say that they are not people that "show preference". I cannot, they are just as "racist" as many other ethnicities, for a lack of a better term. BUT, I think with Polish people, you need to take comments like that really with a grain of salt.

they have a very unique and warm culture, and they really appreciate meeting and talking to their own kind because of it. a true Pole, from Poland, grew up in a country of white people. 98% of their country is Polish, it's a completely homogenous society, and it is surrounded by oppressive countries (historically speaking) so they learned to protect and appreciate their own kind, because every other country insisted through the years on trampelling them.

meeting other Poles makes them feel safe, at home. In Poland they have a saying which translates to "Guest in the house, God in the house," and believe me, you feel it when you are in their houses. Polish culture is all about family, health, and safety.

with that said, I still don't excuse their occasional ignorance, but that's with any culture. sorry you had to experience that, it isn't right, but try to let it slide.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 8:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Ate there tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Might not look like much yet as the place gets its footing. 17 dollars for two us and it was quite good. You can BYOB also.

I don't know much about polish food, but I had the kielbasa and potatoes and it was satisfying. It was a bit empty tonight but I imagine that business will pick up as people discover that there is good grub at a great price downtown.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 5:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went in for the first time this evening. The proprietress greeted me warmly (I was the only customer there).

"Welcome! Come in! Are you Polish?"

"Well, half. My dad's Polish, mom's German."

"Do you speak Polish?"

"No, dad was born here in Greenpoint and he speaks some, but the kids never learned it."

"Oh, too bad! But you know Polish food?"

"Yes, a bit."

"Are you married?"

"Um, yes."

"Did you marry a Polish girl?"

"Uh...no, my wife's filipino."

"Oh! Why did a tall, handsome Polish boy like you marry a filipino?!?!"

I know she meant well, but I didn't feel like explaining the grievous sin I'd committed by not extending the royal Polish bloodline.

She went on to worry about the lack of business there. I explained (knowing it was likely useless) about this list and the generally positive reactions her place had received, for which she was grateful apart form having only a vague notion of this Internet thing.

Anyway, I got two meals, pork chops with sauerkraut and rice and stuffed cabbage with beans and "mashies", plus an order of potato and cheese pierogis.

The pierogis were excellent. I had the sizable chop this evening which was fine, a tasty breading and moist meat. The sauerkraut was also very good, the rice edible.

$17 for the three, not bad. They have chrusik, always good to know and she says they carry packzis a couple times a week.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 3:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Checked this place out last night...We ordered two platefuls of food - goulash/pierogies/cabbage and pierogies/stuffed cabbage/garden salad.

We hardly spoke as we stuffed our faces with an amazing amount of food for $15.

I felt like I was at a friend's house and her grandmother was making me a home cooked meal.

Definitely worth checking out.

Posted on: 2008/2/11 22:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/2/11 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Posted on: 2008/2/11 20:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/24 3:06
Group:
Registered Users
Sava's hours are m-f 9-9 and sat-sun 12-9.

go now, and go hungry.

it's awesome food and lots of it.

Posted on: 2008/2/11 19:42

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact