Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Elected, appointed, or a 'hybrid' school board?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
'HYBRID' SCHOOL BOARD?

Monday, February 11, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

As part of the ongoing process to return the Jersey City public school system to local control, state officials have said an election must be held within a year for voters to decide if they want to keep an elected school board or switch to one appointed by the mayor.

But Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy wants a third option - a "hybrid" board consisting of three elected members, three appointed by the mayor, and three positions that would be reserved for higher education officials in Jersey City.

"This isn't my idea," Healy said during a meeting with The Jersey Journal's editorial board last week. "This is something a study group commissioned under former state Education Commissioner (William) Libera came up with during the (Gov. James) McGreevey administration. This idea comes from those who know the business."

The three standing members should be deans of education - or their designees - from St. Peter's College, New Jersey City University, and Hudson County Community College, Healy said.

Healy said he planned to speak with Hudson County state legislators about the idea since current state law only allows for an elected or appointed board.

State Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith said he'd prefer the board members be appointed by the mayor.

"If I'm the mayor of Jersey City . I would want to make sure I have a board that reflects my best interest," Smith said.

State Assemblywoman Joan Quigley declined comment since she hadn't yet spoken to Healy.

School board member Gerald McCann thinks board members should continue to be elected by the public.

The current board, McCann noted, consists of a former Jersey City schools superintendent (Franklin Williams), a former dean of graduate studies at NJCU (Peter Donnelly) and two former mayors (himself and Anthony Cucci).

"They (the public) chose him (Healy)," added McCann. "He's now questioning the public's ability to choose competent people."

Healy responded that voter turnout in school board elections have been "historically atrocious."

"Sometimes you do get lucky and get people who have been involved in the educational system," he added. "But for the most part, they (voters) see a name they recognize and they pull a lever. I could probably run and get elected even though I don't have any particular expertise in education."

Posted on: 2008/2/11 13:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017