Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: WE NEED MORE COPS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Actually I think we need better supervisors to better manage what we already have.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 18:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
As the population of JC increases, so should the cop numbers, transport infrastructure, health services and schooling / childcare needs - its a no brainer, but instead I fear our city administrators are more interested in 'padding' their own incomes.
With every new apartment and resident arriving in JC (we are talking 1,000's), is a new $ for the city via taxes - but where is it all going?

Let's not forget that anyone that moves to JC with a vehicle is a huge source of revenue for the city. So, several people a year buying the temporary parking pass until they've taken a day off to visit the DMV, then the permanent pass, then renewing each year to the tune of $15 a pop is a cash cow. Plus, most new people get nailed with a boot and ticket at least once, I would assume.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, I think we need more prisons. Lock away the thugs for the rest of their lives! Why hire more cops to arrest the bad people, if the bad people are only going to be back on the streets in a matter of time.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
haha, yeah almost every policeman I've seen with tattoos in my life happens to be a member of the JCPD.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 15:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/1 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Whenever I see cops in jersey city i get a laugh. They look like blood or cripts dressed up in policemen's clothes and they are usually having a conversation with the locals oblivious to their surroundings. where did they get these guys? how much do they get paid to dress up and go hang out on the corners of jc?

Posted on: 2007/12/10 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/28 15:23
Group:
Banned
Not sure we need more cops, but we definitely need more "visibility" from our cops.

We have 800-1000 police on the JCPD force. Is 1 arrest a month per officer a good statistic? (Serious question, I don't know how this compares to other comparable cities). Some studies I've read suggest we're actually overstaffed in JC for the return we get.

Like other posters, I don't think we just don't have enough police visibility on the streets in JC. I posted elsewhere that Oct stats downtown were a huge improvement of previous months - and i think this was a JCPD reaction to the series on crime run by the Jersey Jounal.

Now - I'll predict a significant upswing for November, because I believe that the JCPD East have gone back to their bad old ways and are not patrolling the downtown streets as much as in Oct. Hope I'm proved wrong.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 6:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/17 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

And we need all these things without the city handing out tax abatements to the developers who "donate" to the election funds of our elected officials. More people moving in and no tax revenue to pay for the increse in services needed. These criminals should be investigated by the federal government.

For the new residential developments, the tax abatements help the city earn more direct revenue than they would under regular property tax - they basically put all tax revenue into JC's coffers without sharing any of it with the county. The effective tax rate is basically equivalent. What they choose to do with it, including sharing it with schools or hiring police officers is another matter.... don't let the politicians off the hook thinking there won't be a significant increase in tax revenue.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 5:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 2:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hufflepuff wrote:
We do need more cops. But the increase in residential units does not contribute as much as you might think to the city's coffers. The problem of police presence is compounded by the failure to the city to diversify the development.

This city needs not just hundreds or thousands of new housing units, it needs retail businesses and commerical offices - in that order. Those buinesses contribute the most in tax dollars but consume little in direct services. Housing contributes, certainly, but new residents also consume a lot in city services.

We need more cops. But we need more shops, and more jobs.

And we need all these things without the city handing out tax abatements to the developers who "donate" to the election funds of our elected officials. More people moving in and no tax revenue to pay for the increse in services needed. These criminals should be investigated by the federal government.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 1:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/2 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
We do need more cops. But the increase in residential units does not contribute as much as you might think to the city's coffers. The problem of police presence is compounded by the failure to the city to diversify the development.

This city needs not just hundreds or thousands of new housing units, it needs retail businesses and commerical offices - in that order. Those buinesses contribute the most in tax dollars but consume little in direct services. Housing contributes, certainly, but new residents also consume a lot in city services.

We need more cops. But we need more shops, and more jobs.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/12/9 23:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
well that's idiotic. Instead of having a visible police presence as a deterrent to crime, they are out there undercover to stop a crime after it's in progress?

Posted on: 2007/12/9 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Just because you dont see them doesnt mean there not out there. There are alot more police in plain clothes and unmarked cars then you would think in Jersey City. Most of the time the big arrest come from them. Squad cars mostly just go from call to call so they are less effective at preventing crime since they usually dont show up until after a crime has already been commited.

Posted on: 2007/12/9 22:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/8 19:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Point taken but when I travel in Manhattan, I see cops on every corner as well.

Posted on: 2007/12/9 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FletchFletcher wrote:
When I travel in Hoboken, I see cops all the time, driving, walking and on horse.

Hoboken is a city that is a total of 1 square mile so that doesn't surprise me.

Posted on: 2007/12/9 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
As the population of JC increases, so should the cop numbers, transport infrastructure, health services and schooling / childcare needs - its a no brainer, but instead I fear our city administrators are more interested in 'padding' their own incomes.
With every new apartment and resident arriving in JC (we are talking 1,000's), is a new $ for the city via taxes - but where is it all going?

Posted on: 2007/12/9 18:56

WE NEED MORE COPS
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/8 19:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
When I travel in Hoboken, I see cops all the time, driving, walking and on horse.

I can drive around JC for an hour and never see 1 cop car. Its obvious that more cops on the street will result in a lower crime rate. where are out tax dollors going???

Posted on: 2007/12/9 18:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017