Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Are Cops drinking on duty in JC? you have to see this video!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If this video was taken before they hired Healy's nephew, it makes you think that the cops have a serious drinking problem within and shouldn't have hired Healy's KNOWN drunk nephew.

The cops learnt nothing from the video or from the action they took against the cops in the video.

This explains the mind-set of the JCPD with recruiting, drinking and discipline when liquor and behavior is in question.

Posted on: 2007/10/17 10:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Do we know when Healy's nephew joined the JCPD !!!

Posted on: 2007/10/17 1:42
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
To my understanding every Police Officer in the U.S, requires to either have an officer or badge number, or name tag on display when wearing a uniform.

Digital technology has come along way with video imaging!

Posted on: 2007/10/16 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SefZi wrote:
Journalists don't lobby, and they don't push agendas. They attempt to uncover the truth apolitically, so that others can be better informed in their own pursuit of change.

Most big news organizations try to make their straight news coverage apolitical because they want to sell subscriptions to readers at all points on the political spectrum, and to sell ads to advertisers on all points on the political spectrum (except to the left of the Marxist Leninist revolutionaries and to the right of the KKK).

But there's no law that says journalists have to be apolitical. There is, actually an amendment to the Constitution that gives reporters the right to grind whatever ax they want to grind.

Granted: reporters who are intentionally slanting their coverage might be more vulnerable to libel charges. But, in this case, no one is saying that the video is fake or otherwise inaccurate. People here are just disagreeing about whether the video is current news or old news.

If it's old news, then maybe it's not worthwhile for the Jersey Journal, the Hudson Reporter, etc. to follow up on this, but that just means it's a mediocre, hard-to-cover story, not that it's libelous, or (video ownership and copyright issues aside) that there's something inherently wrong with a would-be citizen-reporter posting the video to see if people are interested in it.

Quote:
You say your goal is to expose the identities of the police officers depicted in the video. If current State law requires that this information be kept confidential, how do you plan to go about achieving this goal?

If the officers were undercover, I guess that would be a serious problem.

In this case, the officers were working in uniform even while off duty, and it sounds as if the law simply gave the JCPD the privilege of keeping the officers' identities private to make the disciplinary process work more smoothly.

It looks to me as if people outside the department have no legal obligation to protect the officers' identities.

Posted on: 2007/10/16 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

freedom wrote:
(freedom)
These same cops in the video and others looked the other way while we had our car windows smashed, and our
studios ROBBED!! by the demolition workers.

That's a terrible, scandalous thing, but that's a completely different story from the drunken officer video story.

If people have videotapes of the off-duty police officers helping to brutalize the artists, that would be a lot more compelling than the drinking video.

Posted on: 2007/10/16 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

freedom wrote:
Did anyone notice the jj article posted on this thread is different than what accually got printed in the jj ?

Why did they edit out the part about the guy walking up
to the black suv and handing the cop a peice of paper ?

For those of you who don\'t know, this man ( Louis )
worked for building management at 111 1st st.

The paper he handed the cop is a permission slip
for a tenant at 111 to use the elevator.

Why does the fact that these cops were working at 111 get GLOSSED OVER ?

This important detail is one of the reasons why it never made it to the press before, and there must be a reason
why this fact is still being avoided today.

s6k Media, can you shed any light on this ?

I just read over the last day the issue with 111 and I am beginning to see things a bit more clearly.

There is obviously a lot of overlap and connections between developers, politicians, police force, judges and private security. Looks like if one starts pulling the thread of this drunk cop video a whole lot is going to unravel.

Posted on: 2007/10/16 11:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
coincidence or not!

Resized Image

A 'non' - event avatar

Resized Image

A logo from the s6kmedia website.

Posted on: 2007/10/16 11:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/12/30 20:15
Group:
Banned
Journalists don't lobby, and they don't push agendas. They attempt to uncover the truth apolitically, so that others can be better informed in their own pursuit of change.

You say your goal is to expose the identities of the police officers depicted in the video. If current State law requires that this information be kept confidential, how do you plan to go about achieving this goal?

Attempting to change the system so that these proceedings are no longer confidential (not necessarily a bad idea at first blush), if successful, will likely do nothing to reveal these officers' identities, as these cops are protected under the current law, and the Constitution prohibits the creation of ex post facto laws.

I wish you guys well in your political endeavors, and actually agree with some of what you say you will be working towards. I just wish you and dreadstar would have been honest from the start about what you were trying to do, and wish you hadn't been so self-promotional in the process.

The real test will be whether you care enough about this issue to actually invest the time and energy to work toward change, or whether you're really looking to make a name for yourself and exact some sort of vengeance on these particular cops because of the 111 history. Time will tell.

Posted on: 2007/10/16 3:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/7 12:08
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All,
To those who say this is a past issue, remember that if it were to happen tomorrow, you wouldn't know because NJ state law REQUIRES that it be kept confidential. Also, as stated in a previous message, JC IAU told us that there have been more cases. How many; 3, 5, 20? The attorney general's office also mandates the phrase, "Upon being found guilty, appropriate discipline was applied." We were told by IAU, that phrase covers everything from a verbal reprimand to dismissal. That is just unacceptable.

We want to have the CURRENT rules changed so this could NEVER happen in private again. After a case is considered closed by Internal Affairs, it should be made public; relevant facts discovered, names, punishment applied. We also want to have a statute created so police will face criminal charges if they are found to be intoxicated, while on duty and possessing a firearm. Both of these are VERY important for the future of police conduct in NJ. We should not have to wait until something tragic happens before we act.

We have been in contact with the person who filmed the video and we'll be able to present this to you soon.

As for the Pink Floyd, Aphex Twin or Meatbeat Manifesto usage, usually in situations where there's no fee being charged, as in the case of DJ'ing, of which I'm a veteran turntablist, no one would bother. They mostly see that as free promotion.

Thanx for the heads up on the typo!

In peace and service,
s6k Media

Posted on: 2007/10/16 1:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
[quote from alb)

The drunken officers might not have been drunk, and they didn\'t (as far as we know) shoot and kill any of the 111 artists. But, if they were drunk, they could have easily ended up shooting an artist, or a passerby, or someone\'s little kid. I\'m not that troubled by the idea that there has to be a statute of limitations on this sort of thing, but this is a kind of a big deal.

(quote from 111 first Street art center website)
Jersey City Police officers now patrol the arts center in full uniform, with badges and side-arms, as a private security force on Goldman\'s payroll. They have entered private studios and ejected members of the press from the building, enforcing the policies of BLDG Management Co. rather than the law.

(freedom)
These same cops in the video and others looked the other way while we had our car windows smashed, and our
studios ROBBED!! by the demolition workers. It should be
ILLEGAL for a rich building owner to hire our JC cops
to enforce his laws on JC citizens. thats one reason why this
administration and the press is avoiding the fact that these
cops were working at 111, because they dont want a law
that would stop this kind of activity. Im sure there are other
reasons, like TONS of OT for the cops not paid out by
the city. SHAME!

Posted on: 2007/10/15 23:57

Edited by freedom on 2007/10/16 0:25:44
Edited by freedom on 2007/10/16 0:29:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mathias wrote:

We see something similar with half of the Jersey City Municipal Court resigning over fixing parking tickets.

The similarity is that, to some extent, this is the sort of thing you might expect from an organization like that.

One difference is that, as far as we can tell, the drinking incident happened awhile ago and the ticket investigation is new.

Another difference is that the court investigation involves judges -- well-educated lawyers -- being so corrupt on paper that an auditor could just walk in and detect ticket fixing.

I think a third difference is that drinking in public is a stupid thing but doesn't directly involve doing an intentionally bad job of being a police officer. Maybe the drunken officers were great, sober officers when on actual police duty.

The judges who fixed the tickets, in contrast, were intentionally doing their official jobs in a bad, corrupt way.

In my opinion if, say, you could get police officers demanding a bribe from a mother to find her lost 6-year-old, or maybe officers asking for a percentage of the Wayne Street drug supermarket revenue to go away and leave it in peace, that would be the equivalent of the ticket-fixing scandal.

On the other hand, at some level, the people criticizing the officers and the JCPD are completely morally right, and the people criticizing the people with the videotape of "smearing" the JCPD are wrong.

The drunken officers might not have been drunk, and they didn't (as far as we know) shoot and kill any of the 111 artists. But, if they were drunk, they could have easily ended up shooting an artist, or a passerby, or someone's little kid. I'm not that troubled by the idea that there has to be a statute of limitations on this sort of thing, but this is a kind of a big deal.

And I used the word "minor" myself, but only because this is a case of a story that doesn't fall into the "if it bleeds, it leads" category.

If Fate had been less kind, this easily could have been a very bloody story.

Posted on: 2007/10/15 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

b) I'm not really sure I'd be penalized in any way if there were a picture of me drinking in public. I think my bosses would just look at me with surprise and ask, "You? Drink an alcoholic beverage????"

Where do you work?

The issue isn't that a few off-duty officers decided to hang out on a weekend and get drunk in public. It's that they were in uniform, had guns and badges and were clearly drunk.

I've stated before on this thread that I worked for over 10 years representing union workers and I can tell you that the hardest cases to defend were the ones where workers were caught drinking, drunk or on drugs while working. As many of you know it can be very difficult for an employer to fire a union worker but drinking on the job is almost always a terminable offense. What the union does in a situation like this is tries to save the worker's pension etc.

And this is workers who work in warehouses and retail environments, who aren't carrying guns and haven't been empowered by the state by being given a monopoly over violence.

The public holds certain professions to a higher standard. We probably wouldn't worry too much if a worker at Macy's was drinking on the job but we clearly wouldn't want our airplane pilot doing that nor someone with a gun.

Posted on: 2007/10/15 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elgroucho wrote:
Well I cant say anything about cops drinking at " The Factories" ( thats what we used to call that area in the 80's ). We would drink there on friday or saturday nights all the time and the cops would leave us alone just as long as we didnt break bottles and promised to clean up after ourselves. For me to complain about off duty cops drinking there would be pretty hypocritcal now. I am definitely not a cop lover by any means, but there are so many important things to address in this city, this just seems like a waste of time and political BS.

There's a big difference between citizens drinking in quasi abandoned areas and uniformed officers with guns and badges drunk in public.

This issue is also important. 2004 is not a long time ago. How the officers were or were not disciplined sheds light on how this city is run on many levels and until how the city operates is fixed many of these other issues cannot be properly addressed.

There have been other incidents involving officers drinking on the job and problems with alcohol while off-duty since this incident happened. The concept of right and wrong within the confines of an organization (be it a company or police department) is informed more by the culture and incentive structure within an organization than what would be considered right and wrong by the larger public or even common sense. This wasn't the case of a lone officer sneaking away to the bar or having a beer with his/her lunch. Rather we see officers very comfortable getting sloshed around one another, not too concerned about being caught or seen by citizens.

I would bet that the brazenness of their actions is the result of a culture where that kind of behavior is implicitly encouraged and common to the point where people get lazy and sloppy in how they go about it.

We see something similar with half of the Jersey City Municipal Court resigning over fixing parking tickets. The average citizen exercising common sense wonders how affluent, educated individuals whose job it is to hand out justice risks their jobs, reputation and possibly freedom over something as stupid as a parking ticket. Again, the culture of the organization informed their behavior. I'm sure now they are wondering themselves how they got caught up in something so stupid.

Posted on: 2007/10/15 22:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/12 23:21
Group:
Registered Users
Well I cant say anything about cops drinking at " The Factories" ( thats what we used to call that area in the 80's ). We would drink there on friday or saturday nights all the time and the cops would leave us alone just as long as we didnt break bottles and promised to clean up after ourselves. For me to complain about off duty cops drinking there would be pretty hypocritcal now. I am definitely not a cop lover by any means, but there are so many important things to address in this city, this just seems like a waste of time and political BS.

Posted on: 2007/10/15 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

If the JCPD broke the rules by failing to file public reports on the case: Why not? How often does this happen?

If the JCPB kept the case confidential in accordance with whatever disclosure laws and regulations apply: are those laws and regulations adequate?

Quote:
[s6k Media] We believe the answer is clearly no! If anyone who has posted here was caught drunk and visibly drinking in public, during work hours, we'd be punished by work by being fired, then we'd be brought up on criminal charges, which would most certainly result in having our names splashed in the local papers. W

a) Please don't take anything in this comment as personal criticism. I think some people in this thread have been really hard on you in a really defensive way. Whatever else you have or don't have, you have a really interesting video. It would be great to put it on Comcast Channel 51.

b) I'm not really sure I'd be penalized in any way if there were a picture of me drinking in public. I think my bosses would just look at me with surprise and ask, "You? Drink an alcoholic beverage????"

But, anyhow, I think the problem with this test case is that you're too emotionally attached to it, and it's too old and minor to get the attention of the people who could help you.

People might enjoy watching this as an example of a You Tube video about corrupt police officers, but I don't think they'll feel any urgent need to go punish the police officers.

If you wanted a good, new test case, the thing to do would be to have a bunch of people with hidden video cameras stake out Newark Avenue to get some good video of the police manhandling the homeless people, or maybe to stake out some of the open air drug supermarkets to get video of officers collecting whatever money it is they collect to ignore the supermarkets.

Of course, that video might be impossible to get (and to interpret, even if you get it), but that's the sort of thing that would be new enough and outrageous enough that people would pay attention.

Another idea: find a kind of frazzly looking woman and have her go up to the off-duty police officers standing guard in front of various shopping centers (example: the one by the MLK light rail stop) asking for help with finding her lost 6-year-old. When the officers blow her off and threaten to report her to DYFS without so much as pressing the "talk buttons" on their radios to ask for help with finding the 6-year-old, maybe that would be attention-getting video.

That's what happened to my friend a year or two ago, but I didn't get any video. :(

The great thing about me posting this idea here is that now the off-duty police officer security guards will all have to be nice to all women seeking lost children, because they'll afraid one of the women will turn out to be a JC List plant.

Anyhow: if there are any police officers reading this to themselves whining, "Why do all those spoiled yuppies hate me?", it takes an awful, awful lot of good officers to make up for one uniformed officer who refuses to lift a finger to find a lost 6-year-old.

Posted on: 2007/10/15 20:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 20:11
From Downtown, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
s6k Media, What are the criminal charges you want everyone charged with?

Check your spelling in the video.

Also,You really should not be using Pink Floyd music without their permisson. You may be criminally charged.

Posted on: 2007/10/15 19:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/7 12:08
Group:
Registered Users
"As someone else you quote says, it's hard to know what the officers really were drinking, let alone prove that in court." [s6k Media] That's a great question. In my interview with Jersey City Internal Affairs, the police admitted what they were drinking, so that's really not a debate. The questions, for me are: Did the police make information about this case (possibly with the names removed, if necessary for privacy reasons) available to the public at the time it occurred? If so: case closed. [s6k Media] No. It is NJ state policy that the process be confidential. That's one of the things we are pushing on to change. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that the JCIAU is so concerned about making that process public either, which was surprising to me quite frankly. As far as JCIAU is concerned, the case is closed. To be clear we aren't pursuing additional charges against the officers. We are working to make their names public. If the JCPD broke the rules by failing to file public reports on the case: Why not? How often does this happen? [s6k Media] Great question. This happens all the time because the state attorney generals office and civil rules dictate this happen behind closed doors. So really, it is more the fault of the NJ AG than any specific police dept. If the JCPB kept the case confidential in accordance with whatever disclosure laws and regulations apply: are those laws and regulations adequate? [s6k Media] We believe the answer is clearly no! If anyone who has posted here was caught drunk and visibly drinking in public, during work hours, we'd be punished by work by being fired, then we'd be brought up on criminal charges, which would most certainly result in having our names splashed in the local papers. We are going at this from that angle. We want to have the names released and then get the rules changed so if it ever happens again, there would be criminal charges that would be applicable. It seems to me that those questions might still be valid, even now, and you don't have to cause more grief for the officers in the video to look into those questions. [s6k Media] We don't believe those elements are mutually exclusive. As we've stated, we should know the names just as if we'd done it and our names would have been made public, even if we'd been fired from our job. Simultaneously, we should also work to make sure that the public is never endangered again by police that blatantly disregard the duty to uphold the public trust and laws. JC IAU told us that there have been more instances of this since, though he couldn't be specific, of course. We are extremely elated that the discussion is now civil, respectful and based on public concern instead of insults that serve no purpose. Thank you all. We will be calling on you soon to help us help you change these ridiculous rules and protocols. The police should be held to a hirer standard than the public they serve, not lower. Here's the new edit of the video that includes some of the information that has come out since we started this investigation. In peace and service, s6k Media

Posted on: 2007/10/15 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
I posted the facts that I know and that's it. If anyone seeks further information go to the proper resources to get it....

dreadstar/- Nothing is going to bring back 111 First st. What happened over the past few years was terrible, and karma justice has already hit the demolition contractor big time,

Is that contractor the Deutsche Bank contractor? If so, wow.

Quote:

17544. They should all be indicted
by JCdirt, 10/9/07 9:56 ET
http//video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1219030056283927987&hl=en

17544.2.1.1. What is your objective..
by DeepImpact, 10/9/07 11:40 ET
Re: They should all be indicted by JCdirt, 10/9/07
here this happened at least 5 years ago and the Officers were severly punished at the time,

To me, though, the important question isn't, "Were these officers punished enough?"

As someone else you quote says, it's hard to know what the officers really were drinking, let alone prove that in court.

The questions, for me are:

Did the police make information about this case (possibly with the names removed, if necessary for privacy reasons) available to the public at the time it occurred? If so: case closed.

If the JCPD broke the rules by failing to file public reports on the case: Why not? How often does this happen?

If the JCPB kept the case confidential in accordance with whatever disclosure laws and regulations apply: are those laws and regulations adequate?

It seems to me that those questions might still be valid, even now, and you don't have to cause more grief for the officers in the video to look into those questions.

Posted on: 2007/10/15 5:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone notice the jj article posted on this thread is different than what accually got printed in the jj ?

Why did they edit out the part about the guy walking up
to the black suv and handing the cop a peice of paper ?

For those of you who don\'t know, this man ( Louis )
worked for building management at 111 1st st.

The paper he handed the cop is a permission slip
for a tenant at 111 to use the elevator.

Why does the fact that these cops were working at 111 get GLOSSED OVER ?

This important detail is one of the reasons why it never made it to the press before, and there must be a reason
why this fact is still being avoided today.

s6k Media, can you shed any light on this ?

Posted on: 2007/10/15 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
This is simply amazing. These officers were given a slap on the wrist.

In broad daylight, in uniform, with guns they are chugging down hard liquor and walking around trashed. The brazenness of this points to problems within the culture of JCPD.

The fact that since this incident other JC police officers have been found drinking on the job shows how the light punishment handed out does little to stop other officers from doing the same. Hey who cares if I get caught, I get to keep my job and just give up a few days of accumulated sick time.

As a union rep defending workers employed at distribution centers and warehouses.. drunkenness on the job was almost always a terminable offense. I would expect police officers to be held more accountable than guys unloading trucks all day.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 2:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

freedom wrote:
QUOTE,
Comey said five of the officers were working off-duty security jobs for Interstate Construction on Bay Street between Greene and Warren streets. A sixth officer who was on-duty saw what was happening and although he did not participate, he was disciplined for not taking the matter to his superiors, Comey said. Police would not identify the officers.

Just curious. Green st and Warren? the only thing on Bay st between Warren st and the river at that time was 111 1st st, the Morgan building and the Powerhouse. was
Interstate construction another name for the demolition contractor working for LLoyd Goldman. I do not recall any construction, only demolition of the smoke stack and artist
studios which were being loaded by bulldozers into dumpsters on Bay st. In the video you see a man walk up to
a suv with a doccument, his name is Louis and he worked
for building management at 111. During the lockdown we
the artist cuould not enter or leave the building without
signing in and out. to use the loading dock and elevator we
had to sign a permission form and have it ok\'d by the police
and Louis would open the lock. Were these cops NOT working at 111.? This is a important detail because this was one of the reasons it was kept out of the press. Also the one cop that didnt drink and was on duty got into the suv
and left with the drunk off duty guys WTF. is that not participation? I believe there is more truth to come on this story.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/10/14 0:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
QUOTE,
Comey said five of the officers were working off-duty security jobs for Interstate Construction on Bay Street between Greene and Warren streets. A sixth officer who was on-duty saw what was happening and although he did not participate, he was disciplined for not taking the matter to his superiors, Comey said. Police would not identify the officers.

Just curious. Green st and Warren? the only thing on Bay st between Warren st and the river at that time was 111 1st st, the Morgan building and the Powerhouse. was
Interstate construction another name for the demolition contractor working for LLoyd Goldman. I do not recall any construction, only demolition of the smoke stack and artist
studios which were being loaded by bulldozers into dumpsters on Bay st. In the video you see a man walk up to
a suv with a doccument, his name is Louis and he worked
for building management at 111. During the lockdown we
the artist cuould not enter or leave the building without
signing in and out. to use the loading dock and elevator we
had to sign a permission form and have it ok\'d by the police
and Louis would open the lock. Were these cops NOT working at 111.? This is a important detail because this was one of the reasons it was kept out of the press. Also the one cop that didnt drink and was on duty got into the suv
and left with the drunk off duty guys WTF. is that not participation? I believe there is more truth to come on this story.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 0:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/10 4:17
Group:
Registered Users
Hey man, say what you will about Comey, the man has done wonders for Greenville. He's done what noone else has wanted to do for "30 years". G-Ville was lucky to have loyal Comey become chief. Whomever made that decision has the foresight to make many more wise moves for the city as a whole, not just downtown.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Posted on: 2007/10/13 21:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
SefZi is spot on.

As I wrote many posts ago, this thread has little to do with JCPD workplace policies and the serious core issues of drinking while in uniform and armed, whether on or off duty.

It's all about smear - pure and simple - all lightly disguised under a thin veneer of "pseudo-journalism". (Hey Jersey Journal --> Here's something to look into..."Is this a case of media for hire?" Now that's an equally, if perhaps, more compelling angle to look into.)

Let's fast forward this conversation to its logical conclusion:

To the likes of sk6 media and hitchhikers (like FAB), it doesn't matter what factual information comes out -- facts are irrelevant. In the face of contradictory facts, they continue to spin, re-spin and mis-spin reality to avoid taking responsibility for being just plain wrong. In their world, everything is a conspiracy or a coverup; the JCPD cannot be trusted simply because they are the police; and ipso facto, Mayor Healy must be responsible for the aforementioned, no matter what the truth is. To continue making such assertions in the face of contradictory facts is smear in my books. You're most certainly free to disagree with me, but that's what it still looks like.

Look, the JCPD IAU did exactly the right thing. They received an anonymous video nearly three years ago evidencing improper behavior by uniformed officers (on or off duty doesn't make a difference). They investigated; they adjudicated; they disciplined in accordance with the law and existing procedures.

Reasonable people might differ on the severity of the sanctions imposed and/or whether workplace policies have been or should be amended, accordingly, but that's not a discussion, which can honestly take place on this thread, or perhaps on this board. (Webmaster take note.)

Sorry you folks aren't due any apologies, and I'm certainly not ever going to hold my breath waiting for yours.

All the best.

Geoff

Posted on: 2007/10/13 0:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Hahaha it's so amusing how obsessed you are with everybody who proves what a waste you are being 'non'.

Now who's pulling the spin-job, Mr. Ass-Bike? Disappointed to find out that Healy wasn't actually the Mayor at the time of the incident, they shift their attention to the IAU investigation time frame. Clever! But nothing changes the fact that the officials in place at the time the video was shot were Cunningham people, whose mess L. Harvey Smith inherited.

Posted on: 2007/10/12 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Video shows Jersey City cops drinking, stumbling around
by Michaelangelo Conte
Friday October 12, 2007, 5:42 PM

The police department's investigation led to departmental charges against the six officers in January 2005 and they were disciplined in April of that year, said Comey.

So who was at the helm 'non', at the time of the discipline action..........'non' other then our favorite convicted Mayor Healy.

PS I like the name change, but the mind set is the same. My apology to the panther who has a similar mind set.

Who loves you babe....

Love those question alb....maybe s6 can list them and email the Good Chief for some answers.

My question would be - Have any of these guys on tape been promoted since? It would be interesting to know, since it's been only a few years back from their disciplinary action.

Posted on: 2007/10/12 22:30

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2007/10/12 22:46:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

s6kMedia wrote:
This is the official statement we received from Jersey City Internal Affairs Unit.

----------
Dear s6K Media,
Thank you for agreeing to send IAU the video, I look forward to reviewing it and comparing it to the video that we have on record....

Although civil service rules consider much of the discipline process to be confidential, I am sure that I can provide you with the following information.

What this means is that the stuff in the video is news, in the sense that the Jersey Journal and other papers probably had no practical way to know about the existence of the video.

Questions:

1. How does the civil service disciplinary system really treat drinking while on duty? Was it really kosher for the IAU to keep this stuff confidential?

2. Is drinking around a loaded weapon really just a violation of department rules, or is it actually a crime? Did the IAU violate any duty that it had to press charges against the officers in the video? (And think, in terms of this, about the stories we've seen lately about police officers and schools insisting on filing charges against high school kids who slug school security guards and about the guy who got accused of "strong arm robbery" because he pushed a store employee after stealing a doughnut from a supermarket.)

3. Even if the IAU can't release information about this specific incident, how many drinking on duty cases does it handle each year, and what is the disposition of those cases?

4. How many confidential cases does the IAU handle each year? Would it be possible for the IAU to describe the nature (and number) of the more serious IAU cases? Example: are there are a lot of reports about police officers beating people up that we don't know about because they're considered confidential, or are just about all of the confidential cases things like an officer cussing at a civilian who probably had it coming?

Posted on: 2007/10/12 21:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Congrats to s6k for their media coverage! Well done!

Video shows Jersey City cops drinking, stumbling around
by Michaelangelo Conte
Friday October 12, 2007, 5:42 PM

A video showing armed Jersey City cops in uniform staggering as they chug liquor from a bottle has resurfaced more than two years after the police department got it anonymously and quietly disciplined six officers.

"We do not condone this behavior and we responded to it swiftly, with severe discipline," Police Chief Tom Comey said of the video, which was posted on the Web site s6k.com and then this month on jclist.com.

He said the cops' behavior "appalled" him.

The incident happened on Oct. 13, 2004 between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. and the surreptitiously made video shows the officers drinking, stumbling, urinating on the sidewalk, and passing around a clear bottle containing clear booze, Comey said.

Discipline meted out ranged from five to 45 days lost pay, with the officers giving up accumulated vacation, sick or personal days, while continuing to work, Deputy Chief Peter Nalbach said.

The on-duty officer received less severe discipline, Comey said, adding that all the officers remain on the force. The incident happened during the tenure of Chief Robert Troy and Comey said he agrees with the disciplinary action taken.

The mayor's office received the video anonymously on Nov. 23, 2004 and passed it along to the police department. The Internal Affairs office began an investigation and passed a copy of the video to the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office. Prosecutors found no criminality and did not pursue it, officials said.

The police department's investigation led to departmental charges against the six officers in January 2005 and they were disciplined in April of that year, said Comey.

Jersey City Police Officers Benevolent Association President Harry Sandwith said he had no comment on the incident, calling it "old news."

A spokesman for the state Attorney General's Office, Peter Aseltine, said there is no law in New Jersey regarding carrying a gun while drinking alcohol or while intoxicated.

Near the end of the video, what looks like at least two uniformed officers get into an SUV with a man in street clothes and another man walks over and taps on the window. He hands a sheet of paper to the driver, who appears to read it before driving away. The camera zooms in on the easily readable license plate.

The video has generated more than 100 comments on the jclist forum since it was posted on Oct. 5

Posted on: 2007/10/12 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dreadstar wrote:
I've spoken to fulop. but frankly he was not tremendously helpful on the issues i approached him about although to his credit he did return my call.

Do you mean that you specifically approached him about this issue or another issue?

If this issue, and you really had Fulop's full attention and he understood what you were talking about, and he wasn't interested in this case and didn't have a good idea about who else you should talk to, that might mean that he either thinks this is a minor issue or that, even if it is a big issue, it's just too hard for someone to follow up on (unless, say, one of the police officers in the video decides to talk about all of this).

Aside, maybe, from the artists at 111, Fulop has more incentive to care about this (if it's a big deal) than anyone else on Earth. If he thinks it's a non-issue, or an interesting issue that's too hard to investigate, then I think you have to take his opinion seriously.

On the other hand, it could be that a lot of people are disgusted by this sort of thing. If you call around to a bunch of people, maybe something interesting will turn up.

Posted on: 2007/10/12 21:40

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017