Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Wayne Street Issues

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/26 2:53
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I am new to this group

I live on Wayne street, also and the owner of the two 'drug buildings' on the corner has done nothing to clean up the street. He is a rich guy who inherited both buildings and fills them with section 8 renters, a clinic and a drug store which creates a ghetto atmosphere on what otherwise would be a nice block. The previous owner of my building tried for years to have the city and VVPA to do 'something' about the buildings and nothing was ever done.

I have been on Wayne St for nine years. I have always been polite to the people who hang out there and have never been bothered by them. I have a neighbor who walks by the group and looks at them as if they were pond scum. A little respect goes a long way. Just a nod of your head can change everything.

Posted on: 2007/9/26 3:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/31 21:50
Group:
Registered Users
That's so true Alb. In fact, it's just smart business.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 12:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/6 15:02
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Jersey, pretty close to Wayne, have to walk this street most every day. We've moved here a little over 2 years ago, and being a female, of course, I am a subject to the "compliments" of Wayne st guys, but I try not to notice them, or smile politely. I have never been actually harrased (knock on wood), or verbally abused, but the "chemistry is in the air" every time I walk this street. always try to teach myself to take Mercer instead, but, for some reason still stick to Wayne. the crowd at the little park is simply disgusting, just pretend not to notice them. It ahsn't been quite a discovery that the drug issues are involved, one can easily guess that the guys are not just playing domino in there. uh, don't even know what to suggest other then keep turning a blind eye on this disgrace and dream of leaving the beautiful historical downtown jc for some place nice and quiet.

Posted on: 2007/9/25 1:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/30 18:47
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
That street sucks!

I'm a 6-3 male, 40, lived here (part time) for 5 years, walk all over downtown, at all hours, and that is the only street I will go out of my way to avoid, esp at night. I had my shoes spit on by punks in a crowd on that south side stoop just walking by. I got too much to loose to get into it with them so ..... just keep walking. Plain old scum of the earth that need to be displaced. Too bad, otherwise a pretty nice neighborhood.

I bet if you ask, the owner of subias (rodriguez food mart) would put that sign back. At least you know what to expect when you walk down the street. The cops of course know what is going on but must have some reason to ignore it.

Posted on: 2007/9/20 21:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/3 21:24
From Wayne Street
Group:
Registered Users
The issues at Wayne Street are simple to solve post police on the corner or run constant patrols. I lived on Wayne Steet for two years prior to moving to Paulus Hook. it is simply incredible the difference in police presence in Paulus hook compared to Wayne Street. I have seen more 5-0 during my four months in P.H. than I have during my entire tenancy on Wayne Street.

I also had the good fortune of living right near the corner of Jersey where all the fun happens. The folks on the stoop on the southside of the block run the gamut from drunks to junkies to drug dealers. Some are harmless but their posse changes and often includes more unsavory characters.

In short the Police have no interest if they did the solution is simple

Posted on: 2007/9/20 18:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/9 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
especially since the opposite corner has the big "DRUGS" sign for the pharmacy.

and.. add my vote for wondering why the police don't do something about that park...

Posted on: 2007/9/5 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jocjo wrote:
Before Subia's opened it used to be a bodega (same owners) at the corner which actually had a sign in the window "No Drugs this corner"....
Anyone else remember that? Not sure if it was an effective deterrent...

yeah, I remember that. I always thought it was kinda funny.

Posted on: 2007/9/5 14:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Before Subia's opened it used to be a bodega (same owners) at the corner which actually had a sign in the window "No Drugs this corner"....
Anyone else remember that? Not sure if it was an effective deterrent...

Posted on: 2007/9/4 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
I really suggest you contact the media. Posibly the problem solvers people. If it will get on ch. 5, lots of people will know about it.

In my experience walking throught Wayne st. was not that bad, but i kept to myself and hardly looked around. People always tell me its a bad street.

If the media thing doesnt work out, post it on YouTube, really, and then post the link here. We will put views on it and it will grab attention (posibly of the media).

And i definatly thing you should have called the emergency number, 911

Posted on: 2007/9/4 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Trubrit wrote:
Jersey City has a rent control ordinance that comes into effect if you own anything over 3 units (or 4 units if you live there). Its called "Rent Control"......not "Rent Leveling"

[...]

Rent Control in Jersey City
This Web version COPYRIGHT 2002 GET NJ

Introduction

Of 567 cities in the State of New Jersey 124 have adopted rent control laws. In Jersey City Rent Control was adopted in 1973. The phenomenon of rent control in the U.S. began after World War I and again during World War II in response to the housing shortage caused by the wars. Although most communities lifted rent controls after the last war, New York City kept them. This ultimately gave rise to further rent control ordinances. In the 1960's, rent control spread to Massachusetts, and in the early 1970's down the eastern seaboard to New Jersey, Maryland and Washington, D.C. Today two more states, California and Connecticut, also practice Rent Control.

MAYOR GLENN CUNNINGHAM has continued this protection for tenants and through this circular the community at large will have a better understanding of the rights and obligations provided under Jersey City's Rent Leveling Ordinance.

Jersey City's ordinance applies to all tenants residing in buildings of five (5) residential units or more.

Basically there are three types of rent increases allowed:

Automatic cost of living increase

Hardship rental increase

Capital Improvement Increase & Vacancy Improvement
Automatic Rental Increase

The maximum cost of living increase is 4% or the Consumer Price Index (CPI-W) whichever is less. In recent times the Cost of Living Increase has been less than 4%. The CPI-W is measured regionally and the one used is for the New York, Northern New Jersey Area. The statistics are published by the U.S. Department of Labor. You may obtain the information by calling the Division of Tenant/Landlord Relations at (201) 547-5127.

Cost of Living Increase

This Cost of Living Increase is allowed once every twelve (12) months from the last anniversary increase. Tenants who are given a rent increase above the permitted amount may file a complaint with the Division of Tenant/Landlord Relations, Rent Leveling Office, located on the 4th floor at 30 Montgomery Street, Jersey City, New Jersey. Office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. There is a two year statute of limitation on any illegal rent increase, therefore tenants who dispute their rents should file their challenge within the two year period.

Hardship Rental Increase

An owner of a multiple dwelling of five (5) or more units is entitled to a Hardship Rental Increase if the building is not yielding a "Fair Return" on their investment. A fair return is defined as 6% above the passbook demand in a saving account of any bank in the area. The return is calculated on equity in the landlord's property investment. The equity is the down payment plus any accrued principal payments on the mortgage. An owner must own the building at least nine (9) months before an application for a hardship can be made. The application must reflect the income and expenses for a period of twelve (12) months prior to the application filing, and is to be documented by copies of bills, canceled check, mortgage notes, deed, amortization schedules, and other items as detailed in the Rent Leveling Ordinance. A tenant may request a copy of the landlord's application and supporting documentation and have these materials provided no later than five (5) days prior to a hearing date. A hearing is scheduled before a Hearing Officer affording the opportunity for all parties to present their position. The Hearing Officer will forward a report and recommendation to all parties with an interest in the application. Any party may submit written exceptions to the report which will be reviewed by the Rent Leveling Board at a caucus meeting when deliberating on the hardship rental increase. No increase is be imposed on a tenant without the approval of the Rent Leveling Board. If approved the landlord must supply each tenant with a 30 day notice of any approved hardship increase in compliance withN.J.S.A.2A:18-61.1F.

Capital Improvement Increase

No capital improvement rental increase may be passed on to the tenant without a landlord first making an application and having a final approval by the Rent Leveling Board.

With the exception of emergencies, the landlord, before proceeding with a major capital improvement is to submit a pre-application to the Office of Tenant/Landlord Relations for the proposed capital improvement which includes cost estimates, together with establishing the allocation for each dwelling unit. Each tenant is to be notified of the pre-application and should be advised of the substance of the proposal, together with their right to request a hearing before the Rent Leveling Board.

The board will determine the conditions of a pre- approval with respect to the improvements, its cost and allocation. Upon completion of the capital improvement, bills, canceled checks and copies of proper permits must be submitted to supplement the pre-application.

After a final hearing before the Hearing Officer, the Rent Leveling Board will review the report and recommendation together with letters of exception before rendering its decision. All major capital improvements may be depreciated over ten (10) years.

A landlord may file for minor capital improvement rental increases. There is no need for a pre-application. Minor capital improvements may be depreciated over five (5) years. The rental increase once approved is considered a surcharge that must terminate after payment of five years.

A capital improvement cost that exceeds the amount of 50% of the assessed value of the building cannot be approved unless the building is in substantial compliance with all relevant property, maintenance and building codes.

Capital Improvement Increases for Vacant Units

In the event of a vacancy, the rent may be increased above the cost of living level only if capital improvements were made to the vacant housing space and only to the extent of the actual cost of those capital improvements. Appropriate permits must be obtained for all work and must be in conformance with applicable city codes.

For capital improvements of up to $5,000 in value, the vacant unit's monthly base rent can be increased by $1.35 per $100 of improvements. Improvements in excess of $5,000 may be increased by $1.55 per $100. Landlords who undertake such capital improvements must register the new rent ($75 per unit filing fee) with the Division of Tenant/Landlord Relations. Their rental registration for the improved units must include the supporting documentation of the costs incurred.

A capital improvement is a permanent improvement that can be claimed by the landlord for depreciation on federal tax returns and adds to the value of the building.

Excluded from this definition are:

Routine repairs and maintenance

Conversion improvements to heat/hot water units for individual apartments where the cost of heat and hot water is transferred to the tenant

Owner & Tenant Responsibilities

Landlords must file a Rent Registration Form with the Rent Leveling Office containing information as to ownership, managing agent, superintendent, of their building, together with the names and rents paid by each tenant. The information is to be re-filed within seven (7) days after any change of tenancy or ownership.

New tenants must be provided with a RENTAL STATEMENT providing:

The name & address of the owner of record and his/her agent.

The name, address and phone number of the superintendent.

A 24 hour emergency number.

A description of the housing space and related services.

The rent of the prior tenant and notification of the existence of the rent registration law.
New tenants must also be provided with a copy of the Truth in Renting Statement published by the N.J. Department of Community Affairs. (For copies call (609) 292-4174)

Tenants are expected to enjoy the peace and tranquility of their apartments. An Anti-Harassment provision is provided in the Rent Leveling Ordinance. Any act of harassment can be reported to the Housing Municipal Court prosecutor for investigation and/or prosecution.

Tenants are expected to pay their rent, respect the landlord's property, and are required to be attentive to the peace and quite of other tenants or to other people in the neighborhood.

An owner/landlord can pursue an eviction of a family if a judge can be convinced that a member of a household, or a person who was allowed to stay with the registered tenant or was visiting, has committed a drug offense in the apartment complex or has been guilty of assault or terrorist threats, even though no one was convicted or even arrested by the police. (Cite: Housing Authority of Newark v. Reid 263 N.J. Super 554 Law iv. 1993). It is mindful that the landlord must prove this in court by a preponderance of evidence that the tenant or visitor was, in fact, engaged in drug activity.

Any owner of real property within Jersey City is required to register with the City Clerk the street address of his or her residence whenever the owner does not reside at the property. This applies to residential properties, including: single family homes, condominiums/cooperatives, lots, and business/commercial properties (N.J.S.A.-40:48-2.53).

Posted on: 2007/8/30 22:12
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I find this 99 Wayne property quite interesting. According to zillow.com it sold 3/30/06 for $800K. I'm assuming it was in rough shape. According to the 99wayne.com site they've chopped it into 3 condo units with a total asking price of about $1.47mm. Not sure how much their conversion/updating cost, but it looks to me like they're looking for a quick buck on a sketchy block. The website says the two 1 Bedroom units are both under contract. The 2 Bedroom unit which entails basement, garden level and parlour is still up for grabs at $699k.

No pictures of inside, but I don't think it has much in the way of original details. I find it fascinating that people are willing to pay top of recent market prices on a block that as outlined above clearly has quality of life issues. I guess the owners could at least cut down on their carwashing bills if they park near that fire hydrant on the north side of the street...

Posted on: 2007/8/30 21:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/12 11:16
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City has a rent control ordinance that comes into effect if you own anything over 3 units (or 4 units if you live there). Its called "Rent Control"......not "Rent Leveling"

Wayne Street has a large number of rent controlled buildings and converting these to condos is a real problem because the commies at 30 Montgomery Street don't let the landlords kick out the scum.

It's not that the landlords are stupid and don't know that the rent prices has gone through the roof. The City has hijacked the property and the tight guidelines prevent the landlord from improving the property by offering poor incentives and returns. There isn't even vacancy decontrol.

The responsibility of looking after poor has been delegated to the middle classes. The City loves this situation. It looks good on paper to have a certain percentage of affordable housing. (Because, hey....that's why we live in a diverse city, right?)

So next time you walk up Wayne Street or Bright street and get hassled by drug dealing shits on the way to your million dollar brownstone......you can thank the City of Jersey City and its communist rent control ordinance, and the self serving minority wankers at 30 Montgomery Street that enforce it.

"Let Prosper".......my f*cking arse!

Posted on: 2007/8/30 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikkiinnj wrote:
Quote:

Maybe no one wants to buy buildings covered by rent control.

Are there any rent controlled buildings in JC?

My understanding is that street has had problems for a long long time.

Has it been addressed at any of the neighborhood association meetings?

Yes, there are many "rent stabilized" buildings in JC but NO "rent controlled" buildings. The difference is unlike NYC where there are rent controlled buildings, "rent control" is defined as no increases per annum, while "rent stabilized" is annual increases equal to the current rate of inflation up to a maximum of 4% per annum.

The Rent Leveling Board which meets monthly administers rent stabilized buildings in JC.

Yes, Wayne has been a problem for at least as long as I've been here (25 years) and likely longer than that from stories I've heard.

The Downtown Jersey City Watch has discussed and taken action regularly with the police and many of our members provide regular info to us and the police about activities on Wayne.

See the topic thread, "Downtown Jersey City Watch- Updates" for more info.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 4:12
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Quote:
Anyone know what the procedure is when you buy a rent controlled building and want to convert it to condos? My guess is that it takes years and involves buying out or relocating each tenant.

If you buy a building and it has fewer than 4 units (i think that is the number) you can choose to live in any unit and effectively kick out anyone/everyone.

Unfortunately, in this city, converting a rent controlled
tenement is a very slow and expensive
project. Tenants can drag the process out
endlessly in the court.
The tenements on Third Street, for
example, took about
twenty years of court
battles, on and off, to convert to condos.
Only the most tenacious owners are willing
to stick with such a long, drawn-out conversion.
We need to change the laws so that owners
have more rights and rent controlled tenants
fewer legal loopholes. It should be possible
to buy a tenant out and have him leave
within a short period of time. Nowadays it
takes years and years, even when the
landlord pays a hefty sum for the tenant
to vacate.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Anyone know what the procedure is when you buy a rent controlled building and want to convert it to condos? My guess is that it takes years and involves buying out or relocating each tenant.

If you buy a building and it has fewer than 4 units (i think that is the number) you can choose to live in any unit and effectively kick out anyone/everyone.

Posted on: 2007/8/28 0:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Are there any rent controlled buildings in JC?

My understanding is that street has had problems for a long long time.

Has it been addressed at any of the neighborhood association meetings?

Posted on: 2007/8/27 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
A fire sale or some sort of permanent sabotage normally clears everyone out and insurance covers any relocation.
Didn't anyone see the movie 'The Super'

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/8/27 21:19
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Brandegee wrote:
If this area of Jersey City is going to improve, the old-school Jersey landlords need to sell or die off. This sounds cold, but I really could care less which comes first.

Posted on: 2007/8/27 21:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/25 2:18
Group:
Registered Users
First off, I recommend walking on Mercer, esp. after dark. There are problems there, too, but not as bad as the weirdness on Columbus and Wayne. However, avoid the corner of Mercer and Monmouth.

Second, my landlord is absentee, and rarely makes time to visit. I'm guessing many of the other landlords in this area are absentee landlords used to years of bad tenancy. They probably live down on Jersey Shore in a pleasant neighborhood, content to live off rent payments in the "slums". In exchange for no repairs or improvements, they tolerate criminal behavior and infrequent rent payments.

If this area of Jersey City is going to improve, the old-school Jersey landlords need to sell or die off. This sounds cold, but I really could care less which comes first.

Posted on: 2007/8/27 20:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
No one's paying them off, they just don't care.

We've been fortunate, never gotten harrassed, also living at the back of the building helps - Irushka I feel for you and your front row seats!

Posted on: 2007/8/27 18:37
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/22 14:45
Group:
Registered Users
is it against the law to install one of the nightvision cameras just above the wayne st playground? those fights at night are quite entertaining, i just can't always make out what they say between f*words.

Posted on: 2007/8/27 6:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Just wait when the neighborhood show and display their resentment around the Beacon when they see all the flashy cars (any car with one uniformed color is flashy) and residents with their 'gucci' gear on display.
I hope the walls on the Beacon are graffiti proof and the cops pay extra attention to that area.

Posted on: 2007/8/26 16:17
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
When I lived at Dixon Mills I found that walking along Columbus on the North side was the way not to run against any of those people - of course the caveat is that you are pretty much alone there. Otherwise the middle of the street in Wayne. Certainly earphones help too.

Good luck to you, it was also one reason I did not buy in Dixon Mills, the idea that the situation around the complex is bound to stay the same for some time..., especially if ownership of the buildings on that block is not clearly defined.

Posted on: 2007/8/26 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
I would suggest anytime you see the hydrant open to call the fire department. Hydrants aren't there for a street made water park.

What would be cool is if all the property owners on wayne/columbus could start a LLC and buy these properties from the slum lords, fix them up and rent them out.

Posted on: 2007/8/25 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm still waiting for those 'quality of life' crime and issue cameras to be used other then illegal dumping of trash in street trash cans

Posted on: 2007/8/25 10:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/12 11:16
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, there is a little square park full of drug dealers halfway up Wayne. Nice hu?

Hey, isn't this the kind of integration that Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson is trying to encourage?

I bet these shits live in one of those rent controlled buildings on Wayne.

Posted on: 2007/8/25 4:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
what park is this exactly?

Posted on: 2007/8/25 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
when i moved into my neighborhood uptown a couple of years ago, i was the first vanilla cream on the block. my block got used to me pretty quick; the teenagers started calling me, "Ma'am" and getting out of my way after i started asking them where they live.

the loser adult guys are something different. my block is ok. but my neighborhood is sketchy here and there at different times.

ignoring is my first tack, because yes, they generally want a rise out of you. but sometimes, you have to look them in the eye and tell them to "back off, mthrfkr, who do you think you're dealing with?" which they will follow up with "what's the matter, i'm just trying to..." to which one might respond, "well, i'm not interested so fk off! now, have a nice day!"

sometimes it works.

Posted on: 2007/8/25 2:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
wayne-st-girl,

I would advise that you attend the next JC Downtown Watch meeting on Sept. 10 and voice your concerns to Captain McDonough and officer Dina reilly. They are regular attendees at the neighborhood meetings, along with Councilman Steven Fulop. See what they have to say about the incidents you reported in this thread.

Posted on: 2007/8/25 2:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/9 19:01
Group:
Registered Users
Those losers on Wayne are exactly the reason we're not buying our current apartment in Dixon Mills, well, the losers and the projects near us. We've bought into Liberty Harbor, though I'll be honest, I'm starting to regret that as well because I've noticed a lot of losers around there too. I have a sinking feeling that Liberty Harbor will be the shortcut to the Light Rail.

Anyway, I zig zag my way up Wayne too...and I'm a guy. I've been jumped enough times to know that while these kind of guys like to say lewd things to women, they get violent with men. Do any of these morons work? I can practically sense their animosity when I walk by...then again, maybe they're sensing mine. It really annoys me to be walking home after putting in 12 hour days at the office and have to look at these worthless dimwits hang out and play dominoes or dice or whatever. And it isn't just the guys either, the women are cretins too. I can't believe they take their kids to that park while the drug dealers loiter around. Hell, half of the time the mothers are talking to the dope dealers, they're actually friends. Where's a good ol' drive-by when you need one? That might thin things out.

Tonight a fire truck drove up to shut off the hydrant, and the cops were right behind them, but I doubt they actually did anything.

Posted on: 2007/8/25 2:30

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017