Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Feds Seize Rocket Launcher In N.J.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/1 21:10
From New York Avenue, Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dwntownguy wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Let the fear campaign begin.

Bush probably put it there to scare all the Honest Democrat Politicians in Hudson County.

DTG

That is funny! It wouldn't surpise me if he did! Or someone in that "administration"!

Posted on: 2007/7/31 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
"the veteran tried to throw the rocket launcher away with his trash"

What the HELL was he thinking?!

Posted on: 2007/7/31 14:15

Vet says rocket launcher found, on Jersey City Heights lawn, is his
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Vet says rocket launcher is his
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Police and the FBI say the inoperable rocket launcher found in a Jersey City Heights front yard about two weeks ago was a souvenir discarded by a Gulf War veteran.

The investigation revealed that the veteran tried to throw the rocket launcher away with his trash, but someone apparently took it out of his garbage and dumped it in the Nelson Avenue yard on July 20, city spokesman Stan Eason said yesterday.

There was no criminal intent and no charges will be filed against the veteran, who lives in the neighborhood where the rocket launcher was found, said Eason. The anti-tank device was a personal souvenir the veteran had for more than 15 years, officials said, adding that it represented no hazard or threat.

Niranjana Desai said she walked out of her home at 8:20 a.m. and saw the device in her small front yard near a patch of flowers.

The investigation by the Jersey City Police Department Special Investigations Unit and the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force resulted in the Gulf War veteran claiming responsibility for the weapon, Eason said. The name of the veteran was not released.

A second rocket launcher was unearthed on July 24 at the construction site of the Red Bull sports stadium in Harrison, officials said. It too was described as being an old piece of military hardware that was inoperable.

Last night, the ATF and FBI did not immediately respond to attempts to contact them for an update on the rocket launcher found in Harrison.

Posted on: 2007/7/31 13:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/7 1:52
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Makes me feel all safe and fuzzy.

Posted on: 2007/7/21 0:52
I can't punch you in your face if you are talking behind my back!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
it would probably make for lovely vase

Posted on: 2007/7/20 20:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/23 3:57
From Who is John Galt?
Group:
Registered Users
Ya gotta love Fox New's take on this story.

Fox News Report

Rocket Launcher Tube Found at a Home Near N.J.'s Newark Liberty International Airport

Friday, July 20, 2007

NEW YORK ? Federal investigators are examining what appears to be an inoperative military rocket launcher tube found Friday morning on the front lawn of a Jersey City home that sits directly in the flight path of busy Newark Liberty International Airport.

Jersey City Police removed the tube, and the incident is now being investigated by the Joint Terrorism Task Force and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The New York office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms told FOX News that it appeared to be a military firing tube, and that there was no evidence of any explosive device discovered at the scene.

The Associated Press reported that the tube was an inoperable military training device, and that it was given to Army officials at Fort Monmouth.

Police said the device was believed to be about 20 years old, and that it posed no hazard. It may have been used for anti-tank training, police told the AP.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 20:49
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Bush probably put it there to scare all the Honest Democrat Politicians in Hudson County.

DTG

Posted on: 2007/7/20 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/7/20 20:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/16 20:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rob4499 wrote:
"Typical American Idiot knee-jerk reactions...it was probably an empty shell and it took $500,000 in gov't. resources to confirm it"

I hope you are being sarcastic. Last time I checked its not a typical american home to have empty missle launcher on your front lawn. I am glad they are looking into this. This doesn''t sound normal to me.

I know it's a stretch for someone to have a deductive thought for themselves in the NYC tri-state area, but you'd think that looking into the tube and seeing it's empty might have been a normal response for a non-idiot

Then again, this has-been harpy wouldn't get her yapping mug on the boob-tube or the local yellow-tabloids by calling the local authorities about empty ordinance being littered on her property, would she

Posted on: 2007/7/20 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSQ wrote:

Do planes fly a lot over the Heights? In Ironbound, Newark this "training bazooka" could have a very unfortunate usage.

I don't think it is normal for people to have things like this in their houses -- even if it is just the launcher tube -- I hope the police got finger prints and get to the bottom of this. I worry more about weapons like this being used on any of the chemical train tankers or chemical plants rather than airplanes. Even if this thing is just army surplus, it could possibly lead to a group of people who are trying to purchase a functioning rocket launcher -- who knows -- but better to check it out!

Posted on: 2007/7/20 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSQ wrote:

Do planes fly a lot over the Heights? In Ironbound, Newark this "training bazooka" could have a very unfortunate usage.

I don't think it is normal for people to have things like this in their houses -- even if it is just the launcher tube -- I hope they gotten finger prints off of it and are able to get to the bottom of this.

I worry more about things like this being used on any of the chemical train tankers or chemical plants. Even if this is just army surplus, maybe it will lead to people who had tried to purchase a functioning rocket launcher -- who knows -- but better to check it out!

Posted on: 2007/7/20 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M72_LAW

What they probably found was a M72 Launcher Tube. A standard weapon when I was in the Army. The M72 Light Anti-Tank Weapon (LAW) would not be able to knockdown a jet plane at cruising altitude The tube it self is useless even thought quite intimidating to the layman. You can buy the tubes at any Army Surplus store for $20.00.

Unfortunately, our police department has few ex-military types that could tell at a glance what they are looking at.

DTG

PS AT-4??!! Yeah right !!!

Posted on: 2007/7/20 18:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/6 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
"Typical American Idiot knee-jerk reactions...it was probably an empty shell and it took $500,000 in gov't. resources to confirm it"

I hope you are being sarcastic. Last time I checked its not a typical american home to have empty missle launcher on your front lawn. I am glad they are looking into this. This doesn''t sound normal to me.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_infweapons_at_missiles_at4.php

max range 250 meters

Rocket launcher 'harmless,' feds say
by Ted ShermanFriday July 20, 2007, 1:56 PM

An empty military rocket launcher found on the front lawn of a Jersey City residence today caused a brief scare today, before federal authorities determined the device was inoperable and harmless.

U.S. Army ordinance experts are now trying to track down the serial numbers on the device to determine its origin.

According to the FBI, the launcher was the empty holder for an AT-4 anti-tank weapon - a one-shot rocket-propelled projectile used by the infantry to destroy or disable armored vehicles. The launcher is discarded after use.

FBI spokesman Sean Quinn said the launcher found by a homeowner in front of her house was essentially an empty tube.

"There was no threat," he said.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 18:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/16 20:17
Group:
Registered Users
Typical American Idiot knee-jerk reactions...it was probably an empty shell and it took $500,000 in gov't. resources to confirm it

Posted on: 2007/7/20 18:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
Sources told everything to CBS 2 HD, but decided to keep silent when interrogated by CBS2 Low Definition. :)

Posted on: 2007/7/20 18:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
Rocket launcher found in Jersey City called training device

A rocket launcher found in a Jersey City Heights yard this morning ?is no longer operable and not considered to a hazard to public safety,? police said this afternoon.

Police described it as a ?training device? and would not say if the 20-year-old military ordinance could have fired projectiles at one time and, if so, if it could be re-armed.

Police would also not say if it is legal to own the device.

?You don?t have to be a soldier to recognize what that thing was,? said Joe Quinn, who lives next door to where the device was found, on Nelson Avenue. ?I went over and looked and I thought ?Oh my God.? It thought it was a bazooka.?

Quinn said it had what looked like a shoulder strap and an image of a man on one knee with the weapon on his shoulder.

Niranjana Desai said she walked out of her home, near Irving Street, at 8:20 a.m. and saw the device in her small front yard.

?I was walking out and I saw it and there was a man nearby and I asked him ?Is that yours,? and he said ?No,?" said Desai who has lived there for seven years. ?I was afraid, I thought, ?What is that?

According to one press report, the incident is now being investigated by the Joint Terrorism Task Force and The Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The device has been forwarded to Army officials at Ft. Monmouth in Eatontown.

?Police are working in conjunction with other law enforcement agencies and Army official to track the training device in an effort to determine how it came to be at the location,? according to a press release from the police department.

The FBI did not immediately reply to an email and a phone call seeking coment and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives did not respond to a phone call.

Michaelangelo Conte

Posted on: 2007/7/20 18:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/7/20 17:54

Feds Seize Rocket Launcher In N.J.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
This is somewhat disturbing...

WCBSTV.com (CBS2) reports that a Jersey City woman made a shocking discovery
on her lawn this morning when she noticed a military rocket launcher lying in
the grass. Niranjana Besai was leaving her house, located at 88 Nelson Street,
to go to work just after 8 this morning when she spotted the launcher on her
front lawn. She immediately called police. Sources tell CBS 2 HD that the
missile launcher appears similar to the kind that is capable of taking down an
aircraft and that Besai's house is located along flight path for Newark
Liberty International Airport. Besai's neighbor, Joe Quinn, saw her pointing
at the equipment from her front porch. When he walked over to see what the
fuss was, he was just as shocked to see the six-foot-long weapon. "It looked
like a bazooka," he told CBS 2 HD. Quinn says he originally thought the
launcher was just a pipe, but after noticing it had a picture of a soldier on
it, he realized it looked similar to a missile launcher he'd seen on
television. Jersey City Police removed the launcher, and the incident is now
being investigated by the Joint Terrorism Task Force and The Federal Bureau of
Investigation. Jersey City Police could not confirm whether it was actually operable.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 17:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017