Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: State Senate Race 31st District - Steven Fulop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
The above posts are still unclear. If someone is registered as a republican, can they, or can they not vote in this primary?

Thanks

In a General election (November) you can vote any party you want, this election is a primary , a registered Democrat can only vote Democrat and registered Republicans can only vote Republican and Independents can vote ONLY if they declare a party affiliation at the poll.

YES!!! YOU CAN ONLY VOTE REPUBLICAN IF YOU'RE A REGISTERED REPUBLICAN,,,,this is a primary election where you vote for the candidate to represent your party in the general election.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
The above posts are still unclear. If someone is registered as a republican, can they, or can they not vote in this primary?

Thanks

Posted on: 2007/6/5 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Any voter who is told they are not on the voter rolls can request a Provisional Ballot.

Any voter who is on line and waiting to vote before 8PM MUST BE ALLOWED TO VOTE.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alek8 wrote:
Okay. I know I should have looked at this thing before today...

My sample ballot for District 10 shows only Vega and Stack for State Senator. These cats are from West NY. I know squat about them. Although Stack did send me a very nice birthday card, I really don't feel very strongly about either candidate.

Does this mean I'm shut out from the Manzo and Cunningham throwdown?

I live downtown. Why can't I play with the rest of you guys?

Downtown is split into the three assembly districts. The 31st is largely Paulus Hook and Van Vorst Park (I believe Christopher Columbus Drive is the dividing line).

Posted on: 2007/6/5 19:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
Okay. I know I should have looked at this thing before today...

My sample ballot for District 10 shows only Vega and Stack for State Senator. These cats are from West NY. I know squat about them. Although Stack did send me a very nice birthday card, I really don't feel very strongly about either candidate.

Does this mean I'm shut out from the Manzo and Cunningham throwdown?

I live downtown. Why can't I play with the rest of you guys?

Posted on: 2007/6/5 18:45
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/21 22:27
Group:
Registered Users
Get out there! No rain. Sunny skies.

The thought of city hall: all downtowners are yuppies, they dont vote, they aren't involved in politics or the community at all...therefore we can ignore them and their petty little complaints...like accountability, flooding, etc, etc.

Whatever you think of Fulop, he has come out and supported Manzo and the hope is that ward e will follow. This is the time to flex some political muscle. If you dont want to be ignored in the future...get out there!

Posted on: 2007/6/5 18:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/6 12:00
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoraJ wrote:
Well, I tried to vote at my new station this morning, but couldn't do it. It's long story. But it just doesn't make sense that there are TWO polling statins around the corner from me either way and I can't vote at either of them.

I actually feel your pain. I registered to vote and was able to for the first couple of elections. Then I was told that I was off the roll. I re-registered and re-registered and STILL had to vote on a provisional (like they count!) ballot. I finally received a notice that I am, indeed, a registered voter.
Just keep trying.

Gina

Posted on: 2007/6/5 16:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I tried to vote at my new station this morning, but couldn't do it. It's long story. But it just doesn't make sense that there are TWO polling statins around the corner from me either way and I can't vote at either of them.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 16:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/6 12:00
From Hoboken
Group:
Registered Users
I'll vote no matter were my polling place is...it is my duty as a citizen.

Gina

Posted on: 2007/6/5 16:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I showed up around 8:00 a.m. at my polling place and was the only person there. I was # 11, although there are two "lines" to check in so maybe there were 20-25 voters so far.

Come on folks, get out and vote!

I'll vote when they move me back to my polling station around the corner from me.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I showed up around 8:00 a.m. at my polling place and was the only person there. I was # 11, although there are two "lines" to check in so maybe there were 20-25 voters so far.

Come on folks, get out and vote!

Posted on: 2007/6/5 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
bump. If you're registered go vote today, Tuesday, June 5.

Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Many people have switched party affiliations just to vote a candidate out of that spot, this was done during the Schundler primary election for governor, many dems switched to republican just to vote for the person who was running against Schundler and then switched back to democrat for the general election. The deadline to switch party affiliations has passed for the June primary.

Undeclared voters can change their affiliation when they vote on June 5. There are no forms to fill out and doesn't take extra time.

I called county elections several weeks ago to confirm this.

Posted on: 2007/6/5 4:33
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Many people have switched party affiliations just to vote a candidate out of that spot, this was done during the Schundler primary election for governor, many dems switched to republican just to vote for the person who was running against Schundler and then switched back to democrat for the general election. The deadline to switch party affiliations has passed for the June primary.

Undeclared voters can change their affiliation when they vote on June 5. There are no forms to fill out and doesn't take extra time.

I called county elections several weeks ago to confirm this.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I don't remember filling out a Party Affiliation Declaration Form. I thought that if I vote in a primary for a party, then I automatically become affiliated to that party. I don't know where I got that information from.

Next year, please remind people at least 50 days before an election.

--------------------------------------------

Party Declaration

A registered voter desiring to affiliate with a party or change their party affiliation must file a Political Party Affiliation Declaration Form 50 days before an election.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/elections/parties_doe.html

Posted on: 2007/6/4 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Can you vote no matter which party you're registered with?

In a General election (November) you can vote any party you want, this election is a primary , a registered Democrat can only vote Democrat and registered Republicans can only vote Republican and Independents can vote ONLY if they declare a party affiliation at the poll.

Posted on: 2007/6/2 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Can you vote no matter which party you're registered with?

Posted on: 2007/6/2 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:

I can understand why a lot of people don\'t register. Its much easier to sit at their desk and get anxious over politics than to actually go to city hall and get the proper forms.

We should be providing the necessary information to get as many residents to register as possible.

All you need to do is go to City Hall on Grove Street, walk around to the clerk?s office and ask for a voter registration application.

Every time there is a new thread about a current election it should be followed up with information on how to register and where/when to vote.

Click on this link for these services:ELECTION SERVICES - Phone (201) 795-5932

Election Information..........
Live Election Results
New Jersey Voter Rights Handbook (PDF)
School Board Members
Directory of Elected Officials
How to Vote with an Absentee Ballot
How to Use the Electronic Voting Machines
Voter Registration Form. (PDF)
Voter Registration Form (Spanish) (PDF)
Political Party Declaration Form (PDF)
Political Party Declaration Form (Spanish) (PDF)

2007 Election Dates
April 17, School Board Election Candidates

Click here for: Election Polling Place Locator

*Absentee Ballot Voting

In New Jersey, any voter can now vote by Absentee Ballot for any election. You do not need a reason for an Absentee Ballot.

Civilian Absentee Voting - Civilian absentee ballots are available to all registered voters.

Civilian Absentee ballots are available to all registered voters. A voter may apply for an absentee ballot by completing an Absentee Ballot Application and mailing the application to the Clerk of Hudson County up to 7 days prior to the election.(Hudson)County Clerk by mail up to 7 days prior to the election. A voter may also apply in person to the (Hudson)County Clerk until 3:00 p.m., the day before the election. The (Hudson)County Clerkcannot accept faxed copies of an Absentee Ballot Application since an original signature is required.

HUDSON COUNTY

County Clerk
Ms. Mary Jane Desmond, Acting County Clerk
583 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306-2018
201-795-6112
(FAX) 201-795-2581

[Our offices are located in the
Brennan Court House Building

583 Newark Avenue - Jersey City NJ 07306

Phone: (201) 795-6112 - Fax: (201) 795-2581

Hours of Operation: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM,
Monday through Friday (excluding County holidays)]

Superintendent of Elections
Ms. Marie Borace
595 Newark Avenue
3rd Floor, Room 301
Jersey City, NJ 07306
201-795-6555
FAX 201-795-6561

Board of Election
595 Newark Avenue
Room 303
Jersey City, NJ 07306
201-795-6030
(FAX) 201-795-6032

www.hudsoncountynj.org/dept/clerks_office/default.asp

Posted on: 2007/6/1 22:25
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

scooter wrote:
is this a setup, will I get flamed for not registering sooner? :)

...2 years....

Yes it is, WTF, I should come there and make you sit in a corner.

Scotter- shame on you- I say we delete all your prior posts complaining since you've didn't vote.
Go to: Hudsoncountyclerk.org and print out the voter reg. form. FILL IT OUT, MAIL IT IN, and you will be good for the general election in November.

I can understand why a lot of people don't register. Its much easier to sit at their desk and get anxious over politics than to actually go to city hall and get the proper forms.

We should be providing the necessary information to get as many residents to register as possible.

All you need to do is go to City Hall on Grove Street, walk around to the clerk?s office and ask for a voter registration application.

Every time there is a new thread about a current election it should be followed up with information on how to register and where/when to vote.

Even easier:
Go to http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org click on- "Records and forms" and print out the voter registration form/application.

Posted on: 2007/6/1 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

scooter wrote:

...2 years....

Scotter- shame on you- I say we delete all your prior posts complaining since you've didn't vote.
Go to: Hudsoncountyclerk.org and print out the voter reg. form. FILL IT OUT, MAIL IT IN, and you will be good for the general election in November.

I can understand why a lot of people don't register. Its much easier to sit at their desk and get anxious over politics than to actually go to city hall and get the proper forms.

Posted on: 2007/6/1 21:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
I feel your frustration. I did not vote for Mccann because of his conviction, but he's been stirring things up at the Board of Ed, so I don't feel so bad about his winning anymore. As for Manzo, I'm wary of him, but he has been responsible for sponsoring alot of bills I agree with. He has experience and gumption, much more than I can say for Ms Cunningham.

I am mostly voting against Ms Cunningham, her incompetence, the Democratic machine, and their offensive assumption that I would be so stupid as to blindly vote column A just because they said so or because she has the same last name as someone I voted for in the past.

You should go and vote Tuesday to let them know they can't count on low voter turnout to win an election and to demand a better candidate next time than the crackerjack they've given us this time. Remember, whoever wins the democratic primary wins the final election, don't wait until then to make up your mind.

Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
these are our options? this is pathetic.

I thought by now someone would have posted a link about manzo's rationale of mccann, but not yet. so i'm left w/ someone picking a convicted felon or a complete clueless nutjob with backing because she's african american? do i have this right? where the f do we live? this is a JOKE

Posted on: 2007/6/1 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
these are our options? this is pathetic.

I thought by now someone would have posted a link about manzo's rationale of mccann, but not yet. so i'm left w/ someone picking a convicted felon or a complete clueless nutjob with backing because she's african american? do i have this right? where the f do we live? this is a JOKE

Posted on: 2007/6/1 17:03

Re: This Hudson politician is an insult to the voters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Hadn't I also read that she refused to do any debates, and that Manzo was left to show up to them alone?

I (as has already been established) was remiss in getting my voter registration in place in time for the primary, so I'd just like to implore at least somebody to get out there next week and vote against her, in my place...

Let 's get some better government!

Posted on: 2007/6/1 14:40
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

This Hudson politician is an insult to the voters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
This Hudson politician is an insult to the voters

Star Ledger -- Friday, June 01, 2007

To find the worst that New Jersey politics has to offer, go to the regions where one party dominates. The machines there are so cocky about their winning streaks that they've lost all perspective.

The latest example is Sandra Cunningham, who is running for Senate as the choice of the infamous Hudson County Democrats.

It's been a rough few months for her. First came the revelation that a convicted child rapist was working for her campaign, even collecting signatures for her.

Then the Jersey Journal reported that a foundation she runs has been spending almost all its money on parties and overhead, including a salary for her.

Add her conviction for drunken driving in 2005, and the fine she paid for riding the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail without a ticket in 2006, and you have a candidate with lots of explaining to do.

But Cunningham is blessed with that special quality you often find among New Jersey politicians -- she has no idea how bad all this looks to the rest of the world. She is living in the bubble, blissfully clueless.

So she spoke freely yesterday during an hourlong interview at a Jersey City diner, feeling no pain as she banged a hammer on her head, over and over.

Take Russell Wallace, the campaign volunteer who was convicted by a jury of raping a 13-year-old girl when he was 37. Cunningham insists that he is not guilty.

"He always said he was innocent, and I personally believe he's innocent," she says.

Asked about her charitable foundation, she says its purpose is to provide "training and education" to the disadvantaged. But she defends making its single largest payment on a party she threw to commemorate the death of her husband, Glenn Cunningham, who was both mayor of Jersey City and a state senator.

"The city was in mourning," she says. "I would do it again to help heal the city."

One more. Asked about the drunken driving conviction, she said she was at a brunch with friends and had a bit too much wine that day.

The ticket, it turns out, shows that police pulled her over at 10:55 p.m. with a blood alcohol content more than twice the legal limit. Must have been quite a long brunch with an irresistible wine.

You have to wonder: Is this really the best and the brightest of Hudson County?

"We endorsed her because we thought she was an outstanding individual with a lot of character," says Sen. Bernard Kenny, chairman of the county party. "And I think she's on the right side of the issues."

Really? We've had a glimpse of her character, so let's take a look at the issues.

Cunningham says her main concerns are crime, jobs and housing. Sounds reasonable. So how would she address those problems?

"I have not really come up with solutions," she says. "We need to come up with an urban plan, to try to come up with programs that address these issues."

She mentions the need to break the barriers former prison inmates face when they try to get jobs, a serious problem we'll be hearing more about. But beyond that, she really has nothing to say.

The truth is the Democratic Party chose Cunningham because her husband was popular, and because she's an African-American candidate in a district where roughly half the voters are, too. Her opponent in Tuesday's primary, Assemblyman Lou Manzo, is white.

"She would be the first African-American senator from Hudson County, and I think that matters," Kenny says.

Yes, it does. But isn't there more to it?

One final note: Party organizations do best when turnout is low, because they can win with a small core of activists. The last time New Jersey had a primary like this, with just legislative candidates on the ballot, only 9 percent of eligible voters bothered to vote.

So for the machines, Tuesday is likely to be a good day.

Tom Moran may be reached at tmoran@starledger.com or (973) 392-1823.

Posted on: 2007/6/1 10:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
can anyone really explain the whole mccann thing? i mean i really do not understand how you can put a CONVICTED criminal in such a position? it really blew my mind. I'm getting all my info together before i pick my choice, but i'm having a very hard time supporting someone who would make that choice.
Thanks for the links, and i'll check out his bills, but i just wonder what is his rationale here?
He may have one, i'm constantly surprised by politicians, perhaps i'm a little naive. i just assume once you're CONVICTED of screwiing someone, you're not the type of person i want in a position of authority. It shows me you're a shady character, period. yes, go ahead, say they're all shady, but come on people, he went to jail. i'm all for coming back into society, but not being put in a postion like this. its lunacy in my mind. and i used to be a McCann pre marriage...

Posted on: 2007/5/31 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scooter wrote:
saw that coming - thanks for info anyway

Posted on: 2007/5/31 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
saw that coming - thanks for info anyway

Posted on: 2007/5/31 17:08
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scooter wrote:

...2 years....

Posted on: 2007/5/31 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

...2 years....

Posted on: 2007/5/31 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scooter wrote:
I'm sure this has been asked before - I'd like to vote next week but haven't registered - am I too late? How would I do it? (I'm in the Van Vorst Park area).

thanks!

I'm curious. how long have you lived here?

Posted on: 2007/5/31 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sure this has been asked before - I'd like to vote next week but haven't registered - am I too late? How would I do it? (I'm in the Van Vorst Park area).

thanks!

Posted on: 2007/5/31 16:21

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017