Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Sex offender quits Sandy campaign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Sex offender quits Sandy campaign
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The registered sex offender who's been stumping for state Senate candidate Sandra Bolden Cunningham is now off the campaign trail.

Russell Wallace, a 45-year-old employee with the Jersey City Incinerator Authority, said yesterday he quit volunteering with the campaign because he didn't want to become a "negative target" for Bolden Cunningham's opponent in the race for the Democratic nomination for the 31st District Senate seat, state Assemblyman Lou Manzo, of Jersey City.

"I am a close personal friend of hers and I am still very supportive of her campaign, but I have children . and I don't want to be a negative target in her campaign," Wallace said.

During his time with the campaign, Wallace said, he passed out Bolden Cunningham campaign literature after work with JCIA Executive Director Oren K. Dabney, who is also a Bolden Cunningham supporter.

In 1999, Wallace was convicted of aggravated sexual assault and endangering the welfare of a child after he sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in his Jersey City home in 1997, authorities said.

In January 2005, Wallace was paroled from jail, having spent less than four years behind bars, according to the New Jersey Department of Corrections.

Wallace registered as sex offender with the Megan Law's office in Jersey City on Feb. 14, 2005, and, as required by the law, has reported to the office every year, a spokesman for the Jersey City Police Department said.

Though he will be monitored by authorities for the rest of his life due the nature of his crime, Wallace was deemed by the courts and the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office not to be a "compulsive sexual offender," so as a result his name is not listed on the state's Sex Offender Internet Registry, said Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio.

During a taping of a debate yesterday, Bolden Cunningham said she didn't know if Wallace was still affiliated with her campaign, according to Manzo. Bolden Cunningham said later in the day that she had learned from her campaign manager Joe Cardwell that Wallace had quit.

She also spoke up for Wallace, who participated in Jersey City's Second Chance Program, which was created by Bolden Cunningham's late husband, Mayor Glenn D. Cunningham.

"He's (Wallace is) back in school, he's reunited with his family, and he's doing well," Bolden Cunningham said.

Manzo wasn't touched.

"First of all, I've read all of the quotes and comments from her and her campaign, and it's clear they knew he was sex offender, they knew last Thursday when the Journal first asked them, and Friday night she was sitting at a NAACP event with him in Bayonne," Manzo said.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 13:10

Re: Sex offender working for Bolden Cunningham's senate campaign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I still believe having a PUBLIC service job should be a privilege and void of any felons to maintain the PUBLIC trust we have in them.

Maybe there should be special classes of jobs designed specifically for felons, then.

Maybe chief of staff for a campaign ought to be considered a plum job and off limits to a felon, but it's fine with me if reasonably well-supervised felons have public service jobs that involve cleaning the streets and picking up the trash.

I hear where you're coming from alb, but didn't we just have a sex offender working as a volunteer doing a door-to-door survey for a politician. I have little faith in our city's middle management or elected officials to keep on eye on things - their credibility is as good as the sewer that overflows each time it rains!

Any private businesses or companies that wants to employ felons should receive some sort of tax break or subsidy from JC or NJ for taking on the risk.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 15:46
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I still believe having a PUBLIC service job should be a privilege and void of any felons to maintain the PUBLIC trust we have in them.

Maybe there should be special classes of jobs designed specifically for felons, then.

Maybe chief of staff for a campaign ought to be considered a plum job and off limits to a felon, but it's fine with me if reasonably well-supervised felons have public service jobs that involve cleaning the streets and picking up the trash.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
MANZO JOINS IN SPONSORING 9-BILL ANTI-SEX-OFFENDER PACKAGE

By droseman - May 21, 2007 - 5:56pm
Tags: Louis Manzo,

Release Date: May 21, 2007

MANZO JOINS IN SPONSORING
9-BILL ANTI-SEX-OFFENDER PACKAGE
Assemblyman Calls Get-Tough Measures 'Common Sense'
To Protect Residents, Especially Children

(JERSEY CITY) - Saying the state Legislature should always side with children and sex-offense victims by combating the depraved predatory tendencies of sex offenders, Assemblyman Louis Manzo today announced that he has joined in sponsorship of a nine-bill package aimed at strengthening the state's sex-offender monitoring and sentencing guidelines.

"Few crimes are as shocking and appalling as sex crimes, especially when the victim is a vulnerable child," said Manzo (D-Jersey City). "New Jersey already has earned a reputation for its get-tough attitude towards sexual offenders. Now is the time to tighten our laws and close loopholes to protect even more residents."

The measures Manzo is co-sponsoring all were unanimously released by the Assembly Judiciary Committee today and sent to the Assembly Speaker, who decides if and when to post them for a vote on the Assembly floor.

The bills would do the following:

* Make permanent the state's current pilot program for GPS monitoring of released sex offenders (A-1716).
* Authorize the release of sex offender registration information to the state Department of Human Services and county and municipal welfare agencies (A-2161).
* Increase the mandatory minimum prison terms for repeat sex offenders (A-2909).
* Require annual reviews of all released sex offenders to ensure they were properly registered and tiered (A-3378).
* Permit sex offense victims to obtain a restraining order against their offender (A-3711/S-2215).
* Create an e-mail registration requirement under Megan's Law and allow supervision of certain sex offender's e-mail (A-3902).
* Restrict sex offenders' access to the Internet (A-3905/S-1979).
* Require a mandatory term of imprisonment for luring and enticing an adult and increase mandatory jail terms for luring and enticing a child (A-4096/S-1978).
* Require the Violence Institute at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey to undertake a comprehensive study of Megan's Law (A-4162/S-2516).

"Sex offenders deserve to be dealt with swiftly and in the harshest possible terms," said Manzo. "Anything less would be a disservice to justice, the victims of sex abuse, and the safety of our state."

--30--

Assemblyman Louis M. Manzo
(201) 309-0770

Click Here For Link

ALSO ANOTHER from this same web site.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I said it once, and I'll say it again..........No felons should be allowed to have a public servant position - including volunteers.

I understand why you feel the way you do, but I think society would be better off if we thought about released felons more in terms of preventing future crimes than in terms of continuing to punish them for past crimes.

Maybe Cunningham ought to be having the convict supervised more closely, and/or put in a position that doesn't require him to go door to door.

But, as long as we're going to let felons out of prison without exiling them to a desert island, we have to give them the means to support themselves or else commit ourselves to putting them on the dole. Otherwise, the best we can hope for is that they'll become polite, generally law-abiding panhandlers and day laborers, and the worst is that they'll immediately go back to committing serious crimes.

I really admire any employer who has the guts and patience to try hiring someone with a criminal record.

My argument or thinking, is based around the fact that there are national and federal bodies that have strict guidelines that prevents felons to be able to apply for public service jobs.
The Defence forces, USP, Emergency Services (you won't have a felon working for the FBI) etc etc. Yet it very obvious that JC / NJ sees it as the main prerequisite to employ someone. I don't buy the arguement that felons need to feed their families too - How did they feed their families while they were in prison, and why would you put your family at risk if you were prepared to commit crimes in the first place.

Posted on: 2007/5/21 11:08
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with pinkie on both choices and since I live in the 33rd district I will be voting for Brian Stack.

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
Every single person working on Sandys campaign was at one time vilified as evil or worse in the UTN newspaper.Now their all one big happy phony family.VOTE MANZO/STACK

You can't vote for both, they're in two different voting districts.

There is no question in my mind for Senate:

33rd- Brian Stack (If I lived in the 33rd he would have my vote)

31st- Lou Manzo ( with Doria leaving the Senate we loose a strong person, way too much at risk here.
I was never a big fan of Lou Manzo, but can honestly say that watching what he has done for the past two years has surprised me, I have no doubt that he will make a fine State Senator.

Posted on: 2007/5/21 3:54
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I said it once, and I'll say it again..........No felons should be allowed to have a public servant position - including volunteers.

I understand why you feel the way you do, but I think society would be better off if we thought about released felons more in terms of preventing future crimes than in terms of continuing to punish them for past crimes.

Maybe Cunningham ought to be having the convict supervised more closely, and/or put in a position that doesn't require him to go door to door.

But, as long as we're going to let felons out of prison without exiling them to a desert island, we have to give them the means to support themselves or else commit ourselves to putting them on the dole. Otherwise, the best we can hope for is that they'll become polite, generally law-abiding panhandlers and day laborers, and the worst is that they'll immediately go back to committing serious crimes.

I really admire any employer who has the guts and patience to try hiring someone with a criminal record.

Posted on: 2007/5/21 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
No wonder people don't bother to vote!

Posted on: 2007/5/21 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
Every single person working on Sandys campaign was at one time vilified as evil or worse in the UTN newspaper.Now their all one big happy phony family.VOTE MANZO/STACK

You can't vote for both, they're in two different voting districts.

There is no question in my mind for Senate:

33rd- Brian Stack (If I lived in the 33rd he would have my vote)

31st- Lou Manzo ( with Doria leaving the Senate we loose a strong person, way too much at risk here.
I was never a big fan of Lou Manzo, but can honestly say that watching what he has done for the past two years has surprised me, I have no doubt that he will make a fine State Senator.

Posted on: 2007/5/21 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/5/20 23:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/19 21:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Gosh,

Without felons, where would Jersey City find people to run for office and manage campaigns...paging Gerry McCann. Sheesh, what's a little sex conviction, fraud, or mob involvement when you're talking about politics in a city with mayors that are jailed or mayors that play in the streets drunk and nude...par for the course.

Welcome to Jersey City!

Aside from the felons, ex-felons, and soon-to-be-felons, this is already a crazy campaign.

Sandy Cunningham, who all but blamed the HCDO for her husband's death and banned Tom DeGise and Harvey Smith from his funeral, is now their poster girl.

Even stranger, Roger Jones, her spokesperson, was the guy who ran the "kindler, gentler Gerry McCann" campaign that got him elected Mayor in 1989.

Even Bob Janiszewski [sp] must be laughing at this one.

Posted on: 2007/5/19 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Here is the Jersey Journal's article

Sex offender working on Sandy campaign

Saturday, May 19, 2007
By JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER [...]

Thanks GrovePath for providing the source of Yvonne's original post thread.

All should be as diligent as GrovePath in always providing, date, writer and media source. Ideally, one should also provide the linking url for that source so anyone may check the entirety of source quoted, such as below:

Resized Image
"What's A Permalink?

The purpose of a permalink is so that any web page or e-mail message can include a direct link to a specific post. If you want to link to a specific post, right-click on the permalink, select "copy shortcut," and then paste that link wherever you like. "

The permalink for the Jersey Journal article cited above by GrovePath and Yvonne would be thus:

The url to the article is "embedded" in the title so as not to cause this page to scroll horizontally which long urls posted will produce.

Point is always cite your source for third party info.

Posted on: 2007/5/19 20:02
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Gosh,

Without felons, where would Jersey City find people to run for office and manage campaigns...paging Gerry McCann. Sheesh, what's a little sex conviction, fraud, or mob involvement when you're talking about politics in a city with mayors that are jailed or mayors that play in the streets drunk and nude...par for the course.

Welcome to Jersey City!

Posted on: 2007/5/19 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the Jersey Journal's article

Saturday, May 19, 2007
By JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City man convicted of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl has played a role in the state Senate campaign of Sandra Bolden Cunningham, a role that's included going door-to-door to collect petition signatures.

Russell Wallace, 45, was convicted in 1999 of aggravated sexual assault and endangering the welfare of a child after he sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in his Jersey City home in 1997.

Wallace, then 37, was sentenced to 26 years, according to a Hudson County assistant prosecutor quoted in a published report at the time.

A state appellate court later reversed the decision and sent it back to Hudson County Superior Court for a new trial, where he was again found guilty, but sentenced to 15 years, according to court records.

In January 2005, Wallace was paroled from jail, having spent less than four years behind bars, according to the New Jersey Department of Corrections.

Wallace, a registered sex offender, entered into Jersey City's Second Chance Program, which was created by Bolden Cunningham's late husband, Mayor Glenn D. Cunningham. Bolden Cunningham remains a vocal supporter of the program, and Wallace wanted to show his gratitude by joining the campaign, said Roger Jones, a spokesman for Bolden Cunningham.

"The goal is to provide work for people who made mistakes when they were young. He paid his debt to a society," Jones said.

Noting Wallace is still assisting the campaign, Jones added: "Our door is open to anyone who wants to volunteer. We are not passing judgment on anybody."

Wallace is not listed on the online registry of sex offenders, but authorities confirmed he should be.

As a volunteer, Wallace collected hundreds of petition signatures for Bolden Cunningham's campaign, but those signatures were thrown out when it was discovered he was ineligible to vote due to his conviction.

"Nobody should be bringing people who molested young children into neighborhoods to campaign. It shows a lack of judgment," said Bolden Cunningham's opponent, Assemblyman Lou Manzo. "It's just common sense."

Wallace once served as a commissioner of the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, and former Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler appointed him to serve on the city's Ethical Standards Board.

Schundler came under fire after Wallace was hired as a civilian employee in the Police Department while the sexual assault charges were pending. Police officials protested the hire and Wallace did not keep the job.

============================

Posted on: 2007/5/19 10:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/5/19 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Hold up, what newspaper is this from? Second, do you or anyone else around you work for any rival politician of Cunningham? Third, How can you put an article without saying who wrote it? And last, if this is true, how in hell was that guy allowed to serve only 4 years out of a 15 year sentence?

Posted on: 2007/5/19 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I said it once, and I'll say it again..........No felons should be allowed to have a public servant position - including volunteers. I would also add that ALL public servants should have a criminal background check every 12 months - this includes all emergency service and civil servants including contracted service providers and volunteers.

If you want to be on the PUBLIC payrol, then the PUBLIC has the right to know your criminal background, and you are open to yearly checks to PROTECT THE PUBLIC TRUST bestowed on you.

Posted on: 2007/5/19 0:04

Sex offender working for Bolden Cunningham's senate campaign
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Sex offender working for Bolden Cunningham's senate campaign

A Jersey City man convicted of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl has played a role in the state senate campaign of Sandra Bolden Cunningham, a role that included collecting signatures for her nominating petitions.

Russell Wallace, 45, was convicted in 1999 of aggravated sexual assault and endangering the welfare of a child after he sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in his Jersey City home in 1997.

Wallace, then 37, was sentenced to 26 years. A state appellate court later reversed the decision and sent it back to Superior Court in Jersey City for a new trial, where he was found guilty a second time by a jury. He was sentenced to 15 years in that case, according to court records.

In January, 2005, Wallace was paroled from jail, spending less than four years total behind bars, according to the state Department of Corrections.

Wallace, a registered sex offender, entered into Jersey City's Second Chance Program, which was created by Bolden Cunningham's late husband, Mayor Glenn D. Cunningham. Bolden Cunningham remains a vocal supporter of the program, and Wallace wanted to show his gratitude by joining the campaign, according to Roger Jones, a spokesman for Bolden Cunningham.

"The goal is to provide work for people who made mistakes when they were young," said Jones.

When told that Wallace was 37 when the assault took place, Jones replied, "Well, he still has long life ahead of him."

Wallace, a volunteer, not a paid employee, collected hundreds of signatures for Bolden Cunningham's candidacy for the Democratic nomination to the state senate but those signatures were later thrown out after it was discovered that he was ineligible to vote because of his conviction.

"Nobody should be bringing people who molested young children into neighborhoods to campaign," said Assemblyman Lou Manzo, D-Jersey City, who is running against Bolden Cunningham for the senate.

Wallace once served as a commissioner on board of the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, and former Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler appointed him to serve on the city's ethical standards board.

Schundler came under fire after Wallace was hired as a civilian employee in the police department while the sexual assault charges were pending. Police officials protested the hire and Wallace did not keep the job.

Posted on: 2007/5/18 23:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017