Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
45 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 45

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Gun shop owner: Thief used distract-and-grab scam
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
PAIR SPIED STEALING '007' GUN FROM STORE

Tuesday, June 12, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A handgun made popular in the James Bond movies was stolen this weekend from a Jersey City gun store by two thieves who worked a smooth con on the shop owner.

At 6:45 p.m. Sunday, two men walked into David's Sporting Goods and Self Defense store on Second Street at Newark Avenue and one of them took out a roll of $20 bills, saying excitedly that he wanted paintball equipment.

While store owner David Murray was occupied gathering a paintball gun, paint balls, holster and other equipment, the second man walked over to a glass gun case, reached over it and grabbed a Walther .380 PPK-S, a security video shows. The man stuffed the gun in his pocket and ran out of the store, the video shows.

Moments later, the other man took the box of paintball equipment and placed it on the glass case, blocking the view of the missing gun, the video shows. As the second man and Murray finished their transaction, the man's cellphone rang.

"As he was checking out he got a call on his phone and said 'Oh, the car's on the meter? I still got to give the guy the money,'" Murray said. That man then bolted and Murray looked over and noticed the gun was gone.

But the store security camera captured clear images of the face of the man that took the gun and police got his complete handprints from the top of the glass case. The other man was also captured on the security video, but his baseball cap shielded a portion of his face from the camera.

After realizing what happened, Murray ran outside and people at a bus stop told him the pair ran south on Monmouth Street, police reports said. Murray drove around the area looking for them and then returned to the store and dialed 911, reports said. He said the pair looked familiar and may have been in the store recently to case it.

Yesterday, Murray said he hoped the prints and video would lead to the pair's arrest so "they won't be able to steal, rape and commit more crimes." Stealing a gun from a federally licensed gun dealer is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

"That gun, unfortunately, has now entered the illegal stream of commerce," said Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio. "Stolen guns unfortunately wind up being used in other criminal activity."

The Walther PPK-S is priced at $575. In the movie world, it is Bond's weapon of choice. Murray said the gun case was unlocked because he was making new labels for the guns.

Anyone with information on the thieves is asked to call the Jersey City Police Department tipline at (201) 547-JAIL.

Quote:

Quote:

Gun shop owner: Thief used distract-and-grab scam

Jersey Journal - June 11

The owner of a Downtown Jersey City gun store described a smooth con today that left the shop short a $575 gun and left a thief with a James Bond-type weapon for who knows what purpose.

At 6:45 yesterday evening, two men walked into David’s Sporting Goods and Self Defense store on Second Street at Newark Avenue, owner David Murray and police told The Jersey Journal.

One of the men took out a roll of $20 bills, saying excitedly that he wanted to buy paintball equipment.

While Murray was preoccupied gathered up a paintball gun, paint balls and other equipment, the second man walked over to the glass gun cabinet, reached over it and grabbed a Walther 380 PPK-S -- all caught on the store's security video, which Murray showed the Journal. The man stuffed the gun in his pocket and runs out of the store, the video shows.

Moments later the other man takes the box full of paintball equipment and places it on the glass cabinet, blocking the view of the missing gun, the video shows. As the second man and Murray are finishing their transaction, the man's cellphone rings.

“As he was checking out he got a call on his phone and said ‘Oh, the car’s on the meter. I still got to give the guy the money,'” Murray said.

That man then bolts and Murray looks over to see the gun gone.

After realizing what happened, Murray ran outside where people waiting for a bus said the pair ran away south on Monmouth Street, police reports said.

Murray drove around the area looking for them and then returned to the store and dialed 911, reports said. He said the pair looked familiar and may have been in the store recently to case it.

The video captured clear images of the face of the man who took the gun and police got his complete hand prints from the top of the glass cabinet. The other man was also captured on the security video but a baseball cap blocked a portion of his face from view.

Murray said he hoped the prints and video would lead to the pair’s arrest and “they wont be able to steal, rape and commit more crimes.”

Stealing a gun from a federally licensed gun dealer is a federal offense punishable by up to 10 years in prison, Murray said.

Murray has some gun troubles of his own, having recently lost his "carry permit'' after an incident in the neighborhood where he shot into the air after a heated exchange with someone blocking his car got physical and he said he felt his life was in danger.

Michaelangelo Conte

Gun dealer arrested last month

Jersey Journal -- June 12, 2007

This isn't the first time the Jersey City gun owner has been in the news. David Murray is facing weapons charges in an unrelated incident in which he fired three rounds into the air while apparently being assaulted in front of a lounge across Newark Avenue from his shop, officials said.

On May 3 at about 11:30 p.m., Murray was arrested in front of Jordan's Lounge, near Second Street, and charged with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon.

Security video shows Murray walking to his car, which was blocked by a double-parked vehicle. He yells something to the men in the double-parked car and they do not move the vehicle but instead get out and walk to Murray's vehicle.

All of them go out of sight for a moment, and when they come back into view, one of the men is swinging his fists at Murray. The man backs away just before Murray apparently fires into the air. The two men then get back into their vehicle and drive away.

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

Posted on: 2007/6/12 6:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jersey Journal - June 11

The owner of a Downtown Jersey City gun store described a smooth con today that left the shop short a $575 gun and left a thief with a James Bond-type weapon for who knows what purpose.

At 6:45 yesterday evening, two men walked into David’s Sporting Goods and Self Defense store on Second Street at Newark Avenue, owner David Murray and police told The Jersey Journal.

One of the men took out a roll of $20 bills, saying excitedly that he wanted to buy paintball equipment.

While Murray was preoccupied gathered up a paintball gun, paint balls and other equipment, the second man walked over to the glass gun cabinet, reached over it and grabbed a Walther 380 PPK-S -- all caught on the store's security video, which Murray showed the Journal. The man stuffed the gun in his pocket and runs out of the store, the video shows.

Moments later the other man takes the box full of paintball equipment and places it on the glass cabinet, blocking the view of the missing gun, the video shows. As the second man and Murray are finishing their transaction, the man's cellphone rings.

“As he was checking out he got a call on his phone and said ‘Oh, the car’s on the meter. I still got to give the guy the money,'” Murray said.

After realizing what happened, Murray ran outside where people waiting for a bus said the pair ran away south on Monmouth Street, police reports said.

Murray drove around the area looking for them and then returned to the store and dialed 911, reports said. He said the pair looked familiar and may have been in the store recently to case it.

The video captured clear images of the face of the man who took the gun and police got his complete hand prints from the top of the glass cabinet. The other man was also captured on the security video but a baseball cap blocked a portion of his face from view.

Murray said he hoped the prints and video would lead to the pair’s arrest and “they wont be able to steal, rape and commit more crimes.”

Stealing a gun from a federally licensed gun dealer is a federal offense punishable by up to 10 years in prison, Murray said.

Murray has some gun troubles of his own, having recently lost his "carry permit'' after an incident in the neighborhood where he shot into the air after a heated exchange with someone blocking his car got physical and he said he felt his life was in danger.

Michaelangelo Conte

Gun dealer arrested last month

Jersey Journal -- June 12, 2007

This isn't the first time the Jersey City gun owner has been in the news. David Murray is facing weapons charges in an unrelated incident in which he fired three rounds into the air while apparently being assaulted in front of a lounge across Newark Avenue from his shop, officials said.

On May 3 at about 11:30 p.m., Murray was arrested in front of Jordan's Lounge, near Second Street, and charged with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon.

Security video shows Murray walking to his car, which was blocked by a double-parked vehicle. He yells something to the men in the double-parked car and they do not move the vehicle but instead get out and walk to Murray's vehicle.

All of them go out of sight for a moment, and when they come back into view, one of the men is swinging his fists at Murray. The man backs away just before Murray apparently fires into the air. The two men then get back into their vehicle and drive away.

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

Posted on: 2007/6/12 6:51

Re: How did this one get by GrovePath's morning news roundup?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Yeah! Holy CRAP!

On a good note:

=======================================

Strong Measure to Fight Illegal Gun Trafficking Passes New Jersey Assembly - measure will stop bulk sales of handguns by limiting purchases to one per month.

So long as there is a steady stream of hand guns flowing into the Northeast from the South this measure won't do a bit of good.

Guys:

There are very few stupid people on this Board.

Practically no illegal guns come from the State of New Jersey with the exception of the stolen gun from Dave?s Shop.

For those of you who are not familiar with the purchase of a Handgun in the State of New Jersey , I will do a copy and paste of an old post of mine describing the process to BDLAW. Remember this is the process in NJ ONLY.

I do realize that some of you feel that private citizens should not poses guns and I respect your opinion but tell me if after reading the post if you think that

"This measure will make it harder for criminals to traffic illegal guns and help put illegal traffickers out of business.? In the State of New Jersey

Originally posted on 2/22/07

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... t_id=96937#forumpost96937

Bdlaw

Sorry about the delay. On occasion my boss expects work activities

As far as pain is concerned, Jersey City it is time consuming not painful. Hoboken or Bayonne are extremity painful, both of these towns will ask you for all sorts of additional paperwork like (FINACIAL STUFF) not required by State Law and they will give you all types of reasons why they can not do the process on that particular day. The problem is that people in those communities are afraid to take them to court. The mentality is ?I do not want to rock the boat? I just want my Firearms Purchaser Card.

Jersey City is strictly by the book. We have a full time retired JCPD Lieutenant that runs the Firearms Office. He is a no nonsense kind of guy, knowledgeable and very professional. When you go to Eire Street to pick up the packet the he will size you up and give you the speech about ?Straw Purchases? and the ?liability? issue if someone uses your gun in a crime or if you have an accidental shooting. Once he is done with his speech to discourage you, get your paperwork fill it out, get finger printed, pay the fee and you wait. The process will take about three months for your initial documents, so in parallel you put in your Pistol Purchase Permit in at the same time.

In the paperwork you will find a document giving up all your rights to privacy. The State Police will do a

Mental Health ,
Drug Abuse.
Alcohol Abuse,
Domestic Violence,
Arrest check

They will investigate you at the community level ,at the State level and then on a National level. In addition, since 9/11 they make sure that you are not Mohammed Atta?s former College roommate back in Germany aka ?Terrorist Watch List?.

When you get your Firearms Card and your Purchase Permit (TWO SEPARATE DOCUMENTS) you will have 90 days to purchase your pistol (ONE PISTOL PER PERMIT). Should you not use the permit in 90 days you can get it extended for an additional 90 days for a total 180.In the event that you have still not purchased a pistol in 180 days, you will start the process all over again

Now you are at the Gun Shop and you are ready to pay and pick up your firearm. There is one more check. Right before Dave or Caso?s give you the firearms we have the NICS check. NICS verifies that you haven?t been a NAUTY BOY since the issuance of your paperwork.

Please keep in mind that your new Pistol is now registered to you and can always be traced to you by the Police.
Do not sell it illegally , loose it or use for any criminal activity because all Law Enforcement Agencies in the USA have access to the Data on File.

That is it in New Jersey. It is a great system with multiple redundancies to catch the NAUTY BOYS.

It works well when politics or agendas do not interfere with the process.

Healy only wants to change the process for political capital since most people in NJ do not know the process and the built in safety guards.

Oh, by all means I STRONGLY encourages you to take a Firearms Safety Course. They cost is about $125.00 but if you have no firearms experience it/they will prove invaluable

Should you have any more questions please let me know.

Safe Shooting and gun rights for ever ?even in NJ?

Dwntownguy

Posted on: 2007/6/12 3:21

Edited by Dwntownguy on 2007/6/12 3:40:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Yeah! Holy CRAP!

On a good note:

Strong Measure to Fight Illegal Gun Trafficking Passes New Jersey Assembly - measure will stop bulk sales of handguns by limiting purchases to one per month.

So long as there is a steady stream of hand guns flowing into the Northeast from the South this measure won't do a bit of good.

Posted on: 2007/6/12 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

matchjames wrote:
i posted the above as a separate thread as it is ANOTHER separate incident concerning this establishment.

Yeah! Holy CRAP!

On a good note:

Posted : Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:18:00 GMT

TRENTON, N.J., June 11 -- USNewswire

Carole Stiller, President of New Jersey Million Mom March Chapters today praised the New Jersey Assembly for overwhelmingly passing A-3511, a measure that will stop bulk sales of handguns by limiting purchases to one per month.

The bill now heads to the State Senate. Similar measures are pending in Pennsylvania, New York and Massachusetts. Similar laws are already on the books in California, Virginia and Maryland.

Ms. Stiller's statement follows:

"This measure will make it harder for criminals to traffic illegal guns and help put illegal traffickers out of business. I would like to praise the efforts of Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, Ceasefire New Jersey and our New Jersey Million Mom March Chapters. We urge the State Senate to follow suit.

"This is a simple, reasonable measure that should be passed in every state. We salute the legislators who voted for this and the gun violence prevention advocates who fought for its passage."

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, working with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

CONTACT: Carole Stiller of New Jersey Million Mom March Chapters,
+1-609-771-0937, or Brian Malte of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence,
+1-202-361-9168

Web site: http://www.bradycampaign.org/

Posted on: 2007/6/12 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
David is the dumbest most inept gun owner I have ever heard of - what a complete dumb-ass.

Take away his gun selling licence and make him do some sort of psycho test to see if he should even be allowed to drive a car.

I always thought that guns could only be displayed behind a secure locked display case and / or a thin steel cable had to be thread through the trigger guard. The cable would also detter people from the simple act of 'snatch and grab'..

Thanks to David's dumb-ass security and diligence to secure his guns, we now have another gun on the streets that has more then likely changed hands by now.

I am a gun guy!!!!!

I shoot competitively every Sunday in NJ, Pa. Ct. or Mass.

I have a safe to keep all my firearms in.

I am embarrass to be lumped in with this Sh#t-head

DTG

Posted on: 2007/6/11 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
David is the dumbest most inept gun owner I have ever heard of - what a complete dumb-ass.

Take away his gun selling licence and make him do some sort of psycho test to see if he should even be allowed to drive a car.

I always thought that guns could only be displayed behind a secure locked display case and / or a thin steel cable had to be thread through the trigger guard. The cable would also detter people from the simple act of 'snatch and grab'..

Thanks to David's dumb-ass security and diligence to secure his guns, we now have another gun on the streets that has more then likely changed hands by now.

Posted on: 2007/6/11 18:46
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

How did this one get by GrovePath's morning news roundup?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users

At 6:45 yesterday evening, two men walked into David?s Sporting Goods and Self Defense store on Second Street at Newark Avenue, owner David Murray and police told The Jersey Journal.

?As he was checking out he got a call on his phone and said ?Oh, the car?s on the meter. I still got to give the guy the money,'? Murray said.

Murray said he hoped the prints and video would lead to the pair?s arrest and ?they wont be able to steal, rape and commit more crimes.?

Michaelangelo Conte

Posted on: 2007/6/11 18:14

Re: Gunfire on Newark Ave tonight

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
Dave is the man. I hang out in his store all the time. I'm sure he had a good reason for firing his gun in the air.

Posted on: 2007/6/3 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Murray?s carrying permit was revoked but he will retain his Firearm ID card, which will allow him to buy guns for his business only, Turso said after hearing. He will also retain his state and federal permit to sell guns at his store, Turso said.

------------

Hmmm. So the judge takes away his two personal weapons, but allow him to purchase firearms "for his business" and keep possession of a number of them in the store. I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed to make a living, but shouldn't firearms shopowners be held to a higher standard?

Posted on: 2007/6/2 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey Journal Update

Friday, June 01, 2007

Jersey City gun shop owner can no longer carry gun

A Jersey City gun shop owner was stripped of his permit to carry a firearm today as a result of a recent incident in which he fired three rounds into the air while being assaulted.

State Superior Court Judge Fred Theemling said during a hearing this afternoon that the deciding factor in his ruling to revoke the permit was a letter he received from David Murray, the owner of David?s Sporting Goods on Newark Avenue. He would not disclose what was in the letter.

Assistant Hudson County Prosecutor Barbara Turso and Murray?s attorney, Evan Mappa, told Theemling at the beginning of the hearing that they were close to an agreement on the matter. But Theemling had already heard enough.

?Whatever agreement you come up with, that carrying permit will be in my possession today,? Theemling said.

Murray?s carrying permit was revoked but he will retain his Firearm ID card, which will allow him to buy guns for his business only, Turso said after hearing. He will also retain his state and federal permit to sell guns at his store, Turso said.

With Murray?s consent, the police took his inventory on the night of the incident and Theemling ordered the guns returned. The police took his two personal guns, and they will not be returned.

In court, Mappa said Theemling made his decision before the attorneys argued their positions and that it denied Murray his right to due process. Murray can appeal the ruling. Mappa and Turso both filed briefs prior to the yesterday?s hearing.

Murray, 47, was arrested in front of Jordan?s Lounge near Second Street at about 11:30 p.m. on May 3, police said. He was charged with possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon after firing his .357 magnum into the air three times

Security video shows Murray walking across Newark Avenue to his car, which was being blocked by a double-parked vehicle. After trying to pull out, he can be seen opening his door and yelling something to the men in the double-parked car. The driver and passenger of the other vehicle get out and walk over to Murray. Murray and the two men then walk out of sight.

When they come back into view, one of the men is swinging his fists at Murray but backs away a few steps just before Murray apparently fires. The two men then drove off as police arrived.

It turns out that one of the men involved in the incident was Donnell Rawlings, who appeared on Comedy Central?s ?Chappelle?s Show.?

Rawling was not charged.

Michaelangelo Conte

Copyright 2007 NJ.com. All Rights Reserved.

Posted on: 2007/6/2 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The gun shop owner's lawyer is Evan F. Nappen. He wrote an article for Harpers Magazine entitled
"Your assault weapon and you."

http://www.harpers.org/archive/1991/07/0000540

You need to be a subscriber -- too bad -- I would love to read it.

Here is the NRA's page on Evan F. Nappen

http://www.nrafoundation.org/lawseminar/biographies/nappen.asp

Posted on: 2007/5/20 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For those who have issues with web links here is the article.

====================================
Murray: 'I was almost killed'

Downtown gun-store owner gives his side of May 3 altercation with comedian

Ricardo Kaulessar - Hudson Reporter -- 05/18/2007

UNPLEASANT REMINDER ? Murray shows off the bruise he suffered in a fight on May 3 in front of Jordan's Lounge on Newark Avenue in Jersey City.
A Downtown Jersey City gun-store owner is finally speaking out about a May 3 altercation with comedian Donnell Rawlings that took place in front of a local nightclub.

The altercation occurred before 11 p.m. in the vicinity of Jordan's Lounge at 247 Newark Ave., when local resident David Murray came out of the nearby store he owns, David's Sporting Goods and Self Defense at 342 Second St.

According to a police report, the incident occurred after Murray found his car blocked in by an admittedly double-parked Rawlings.

There were words between the two, a struggle broke out, and eventually, Murray fired three gunshots into the air.

Murray is scheduled for a June 2 appearance in Jersey City Municipal Court. He was arrested that night on two counts of possession of a weapon and a charge of possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose. He was also cited for firing his weapon within city limits. He also had firearms from his store confiscated by the Jersey City Police until they finish their investigation.

Rawlings left the area immediately after the altercation, but was interviewed recently by Jersey City Police.

Rawlings is known for his work on the now-cancelled Comedy Central Chappelle's Show and was a DJ on the NYC radio station Power 105.1 until he was fired recently for allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks.

After the altercation, Rawlings wrote about it angrily on a hip-hop website, complaining that it shows the "rampant, overt and baseless hatred that lives and breathes on our streets daily."

But Murray blames Rawlings for the fight and says he merely had to defend himself.

Went on TV

Two weeks ago, Murray, on the advice of his attorney, declined to speak for a Reporter story about the incident. But last week, the story was picked up by WPIX-TV Channel 11 News at Ten.

The news channel played a video taken from Jordan's Lounge cameras. It shows that while Murray was blocked in to some extent by Rawlings' car, it also shows what looks like enough room behind Murray's car for him to move out of his parking space and go around Rawlings' car. But Murray said that he simply asked Rawlings to move his car, which caused the confrontation.

Murray said last week that he is angry that Rawlings accused him of racial slurs in last week's issue of the Jersey City Reporter, saying it was Rawlings who first used slurs against him.

Taking the gloves off

Sitting at the back of his store, Murray read a four-page prepared statement describing what took place on May 3 after initially getting the go-ahead from his attorney, Evan Nappen.

Murray said the altercation began after he walked from his store to his car. He said when he got to his car, he found a car double-parked with a man and a woman sitting inside, blocking him.

"I asked them politely three separate times to move, and they refused," Murray said last week. "On my fourth request, the woman in the car yelled back a racial slur about me being white and that they would move when they chose to do so."

Each man claims the other used racial slurs.

Murray said an argument soon escalated and a bouncer broke up the two initially. He then claimed a group of men gathered to witness the incident.

Murray says he was felled by a punch. The report does not quote Murray directly as saying he was punched, but the police report indicates that Murray was struck by Rawlings, initially identified as an "unknown black male."

Murray said that while he was on the ground, he felt punches from what he believes was more than one person.

Murray said that while still on the ground, he saw that the.357 Magnum he was carrying was slipping in its holster.

"A man from the melee starts to move toward the gun. I now remember what the judge accepted as my need for a carrying permit," Murray said. "'Protect your guns at all times so they are not stolen by bad people to be used in other crimes.' "

After shooting his gun three times in the air, Murray said he called the police, who came moments after the incident.

In Murray's prepared statement, he said that he shot his gun into the air to stop himself from being beaten, claiming his permit to carry firearms issued by the city allows him "to defend myself in a life-threatening situation."

"I was almost killed," Murray said, saying he used discretion by shooting into the air. "What kind of world is this?"

Murray also defended himself against Rawlings' accusations of racism by showing autographed photos displayed in his store of African-American boxers he has admired over the years, including his "hero," Sugar Ray Leonard; Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, and local kickboxer Andre "Joker" McRae, who incidentally works as a bouncer at Jordan's Lounge.

What really happened?

The Reporter viewed multiple times the Channel 11 segment on the incident on the station's website, http://cw11.trb.com/, which showed parts of the video. It shows not only Murray's car seeming to have enough space to move out, but also it shows several men around Murray's car, including Rawlings. Not seen clearly is what looks like Murray moving with some men around the back of the car, then movement that looks like fighting.

As the video continues, it looks like the men who were around Murray then backed away quickly from Murray, now seen more clearly moving toward them. This is believed to be the moment when Murray fired his gun into the air.

There is also an eyewitness, who lives across the street from Jordan's Lounge, who told the Reporter what transpired that night.

The eyewitness said he saw Murray and Rawlings call each other names. He says they "scrambled," and he saw Murray fire three shots. The police came afterwards. The witness claims he saw at least four men around Murray during the altercation.

The eyewitness said he then saw Murray being roughed up by the police and heard Murray trying to identify himself and tell them what happened.

"You turn him around and throw him against the car," the eyewitness said. "For the police to do that is not right."

Still investigating

Jersey City Police Captain Chet Major said last week the investigation into the incident is still proceeding.

Major said more charges may be considered after careful study of the videotape by authorities.

Major confirmed that Rawlings and his girlfriend were interviewed by Jersey City Police on May 11 about the incident.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/5/20 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Crazy Dave should start a band and use this picture as an album cover.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/5/19 19:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
After reading this article, Mr Murray needs to seek medical and psychiatric care immediately. If he is prepared to 'blow-up' with anger over double parking, how does he cope with other frustrating issues of life?
I am more concerned that he has a driver's licence, let alone a licence to sell guns.

Posted on: 2007/5/19 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Rawlings needs to be charged with assault.

Murray should have known that using the n would would start some problems, ...

The gun shots could be considered self defense but its still not acceptable to someone who should be a role model for firearm carriers.

Maybe Rawlings should be charged with assault, but the newspaper story seems to indicate that Murray fired in the air AFTER Rawlings was already heading away.

If that's the case, I think it would be hard to show that Murray was really firing in self defense.

To me, though, the biggest news is that Jordan's has big-name Chappelle show comedians. Does Jordan's get those kinds of acts all the time? If so, maybe I have to look into hiring a babysitter.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 6:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting that video.

He had plenty of room to leave peacefully. I believe the girlfriend about the N word - this guys a Racist.

Just what we dont't need here (or anywhere for that matter) a Racist Psycopath that has access to all kinds of automatic firearms.

Posted on: 2007/5/16 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
After watching this video it seems to me that this guy is really nuts.

I would still support a gun store in JC by someone who is respected in the community.

How many do we need ??

We have had one since 1967 !!!!

It's called Caso's Gun A Rama

Sorry no pictures of Eastwood or Kung Fu Stuff there !!

Posted on: 2007/5/15 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
After watching this video it seems to me that this guy is really nuts.

I would still support a gun store in JC by someone who is respected in the community.

Posted on: 2007/5/15 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
up until this, i always considered Jordans wayyyy more dangerous than the gun shop....

Posted on: 2007/5/15 20:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone ever read "Dead Eye Dick"?

I'd love to know where that warning shot landed. I'm sure I'm rehashing a lot on this topic, but-

Doesn't this guy talk about "responsible gun ownership"?

I mean really, unless he knew his trajectory, wind variables, etc. etc and knew that round was coming down in the river, shooting a gun up in that air in a city a densly populated as ours?! Come on.

Well, we were all wondering how long it would be before there was a problem with the gun shop opening. Now we know.

Posted on: 2007/5/15 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
You're right. They should both be locked up. Dining at Nha Trang Place has not been the same since Jordan's moved in.

They were on WB11 last night. The video is here.

Click on "Chapelle Show Comedian Street Fight":
http://cw11.trb.com/news/local/eveningnews/?track=nav

Whoa, it is so clear that Crazy Gun Dave could have made it around that car, I wonder what his intent truly was? Is he allowed to carry outside of his shop? Warning shots are okay? He thinks President Bush should give him a medal for his actions? WTF?

He should listen to his lawyer and button his lip, he's not doing himself any favors by talking to the media.

Posted on: 2007/5/15 17:44
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
You're right. They should both be locked up. Dining at Nha Trang Place has not been the same since Jordan's moved in.

They were on WB11 last night. The video is here.

Click on "Chapelle Show Comedian Street Fight":
http://cw11.trb.com/news/local/eveningnews/?track=nav

Posted on: 2007/5/15 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Rawlings needs to be charged with assault.

Murray should have known that using the n would would start some problems, its still not an excuse for beating they guy.

The gun shots could be considered self defense but its still not acceptable to someone who should be a role model for firearm carriers.

Posted on: 2007/5/12 13:29

Re: Gun store owner vs. 'Chappelle's Show' comedian in fight - Shots fired after apparent double-parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Wait a minute. So these black dudes physically attack Dave Murrray and it's Dave who is wrong for firing his gun into the air? Are you nuts? I know if I decided to physically attack some black dude over being blocked in I would not in the least bit be surprised if he shot a gun. I would be even more surprised if he had the self-control to fire into the air and not at me. But you know what, I wouldn't attack somebody over parking no matter what he said to me because I can exert self-control. Ashy Larry is lucky this guy didn't blow his ashy brains out which he was well within his rights to do in my opinion. All Ashy Larry had to do was move his car back enough. And if he didn't want to move his car so be it. But the minute he takes it to the level of a physical altercation then all bets are off. In this day and age he who hesitates in that situation has a good chance of winding up dead. (Especially if it's in front of Jordan's). I say shoot away Dave. If I was in Dave's shoes I would have done the same thing. Ashy Larry is nothing but a punk ass niggah.

Posted on: 2007/5/12 4:47

Gun store owner vs. 'Chappelle's Show' comedian in fight - Shots fired after apparent double-parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Gun store owner vs. 'Chappelle's Show' comedian in fight
Shots fired after apparent double-parking in front of club

Ricardo Kaulessar -- Hudson Reporter staff -- 05/11/2007

A former comedian from the cable favorite "Chappelle's Show" who is also a controversial DJ is incensed over an incident that took place at a Jersey City club May 3 between him and local gun store owner David Murray.

Apparently, the incident occurred when Murray left his shop and found that his car was allegedly blocked in by a double-parked Donnell Rawlins, a comedian who had performed at the club. An altercation occurred that led to Murray allegedly firing gunshots into the air.

According to police reports, at approximately 11 p.m. that evening, police responded to a call describing shots fired in front of Jordan's Lounge on Newark Avenue.

The report says that when police arrived at the scene, they arrested David J. Murray, 47, on two counts of unlawful possession of a weapon and a more serious charge of possession of weapon for unlawful purpose. He was also cited for firing his gun within city limits.

Murray is the outspoken owner of David's Sporting Goods and Self Defense at 342 Second St. in Jersey City, located across the street from Jordan's Lounge, where he also sells firearms as a licensed dealer. He was profiled in the Reporter on Dec. 17 (www.jerseycityreporter.com).

There are various eyewitness accounts of the incident, as well as videotape.

One report in the investigation describes the incident according to eyewitness accounts. It states that Murray got "into an altercation with a black male" who was the driver of the car parked in front of Murray's car. The investigation report says that Murray [allegedly] "took out his gun and fired off three shots" into the air with his black .357 Magnum. The report then says that the black male, who was accompanied by a woman, got into his car and drove away.

However, the "black male" in question stepped forward last week - and he is anything but unidentifiable. He also describes more than just an altercation.

He is comedian Donnell Rawlings, known for his "Ashy Larry" character on the now-cancelled TV series Chappelle's Show and most recently worked the morning shift at NY radio station Power 105.1 until he was fired for controversial remarks.

Rawlings told the Jersey City Reporter last week he was the victim of a "racist attack," claiming Murray uttered slurs during the attack.

There is no mention of the slurs in the various police reports on the incident.

Murray offered no comment to the media and referred inquiries to his attorney.

What the video shows

Advertisement

Video surveillance cameras from the Jordan Lounge also captured the incident, according to police reports.

According to the reports, the video showed that a little before 11 p.m. on May 3, Murray was leaving his store and walked across the street to his car, a black Dodge Durango, parked in front of Jordan's Lounge.

The report says the video shows Murray attempting to "pull out of parking space but unable to do so due to a car (SUV) that was double-parked in front of his vehicle."

The video then shows Murray getting out of his car and words are exchanged between him and the driver of the SUV.

The video then shows third person, identified as a bouncer at Jordan's Lounge, trying to break up the fight.

Next, the video shows Murray and the person he is arguing with moving out of the security camera's view then moving back into camera view, where, according to the report, "it appears that unknown black male is striking actor [Murray] who at this point is on the ground."

Then, the video shows the unknown black male walking away, with Murray pointing his .357 Magnum into the air and firing shots. The unknown black male gets into his car with his passenger and drives away eastbound on Newark Avenue.

In yet another report, Murray told police that he fired his gun three times "to scare his attackers." In that same report, a witness told police that there was arguing between Murray and a man and the man's female companion, with the lady screaming "he has a gun" when Murray pulled out his Magnum.

The investigation continues

Jersey City Police Capt. Chet Major, who is heading the investigation into the incident, said that starting last Wednesday, more witnesses have come forward. He said that after those interviews, there will be a determination if more charges will be handed down.

"Our investigation was somewhat limited after the incident because witnesses were uncooperative, but with more witnesses coming forward, this is the break we need to go forward," Major said.

Major said that Murray has had his license to sell firearms suspended pending further review from the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office. When Murray was arrested, they not only confiscated his .357 Magnum but also found in his car several handguns and ammunition, police said.

Police also removed various firearms and ammunition from Murray's store the day after the incident.

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward J. DeFazio said last week that the most serious charge Murray faces is possession of weapon for unlawful purpose, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Rawlins issues statement on website

Rawlings had already reached out to the media a few days after the incident.

Rawlings issued a statement to the the hip-hop website, www.sohh.com, on the incident:

"This is the sort of incident that the authorities and the powers that be need to be concerned about. Rampant, overt and baseless hatred that lives and breathes on our streets daily. Jokes spoken in jest are not the root of evil in our society... it's ignorant, angry people that create chaos. I think that the saddest part is that if this had happened to someone random (read: with no media presence) this incident would go largely ignored...that is the scary part."

Rawlings last week acknowledged to the Reporter that he was double-parked, but claimed that Murray was not blocked in and could move out of his parking space.

Rawlings said he was coming out of Jordan's Lounge after performing a comedy routine at the club.

Rawlings also claimed that what made the situation worse was what he alleges came out of Murray's mouth. Rawlings alleged that Murray said the n-word several times during their altercation.

Rawlings said Murray was the one who challenged Rawlings to a fight.

"Security was trying to break us up but instead we got into a fight, we knocked knuckles," Rawlings said.

When asked why he decided to leave the scene rather than wait for police to file a complaint against Murray, Rawlings didn't mince words.

"When crazy white dudes are calling me n----- and shooting a gun near me three times, I have no reason to be there," Rawlings said.

Rawlings did say he will cooperate with any investigation into the incident if contacted by police.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/5/12 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if they have one of these in the gun shop inventory?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/5/11 13:11
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/5 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Harmonicfreq wrote:
And for the record I agree, some crazy person should open a music venue in Jersey City!

Well when they take away Dave's license to sell firearms he'll have some free time and an empty store (and firing his gun in the air like Yosemite Sam in an urban environment shows he's crazy).

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/5/11 13:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/6 14:49
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lostgirl wrote:
Told you so. Told you so. God forbid we open a music venue or clothing store around here. But a gun shop, sure, thats a great idea.

The fact that the government is to incompetent to handle weeding out those who should not have a gun is not an argument against the 2nd Amendment but an argument for it. It is included in our bill of rights because we are a country born of violent resistance to tyranny and it is a safety valve for our democracy. It is not about the right to hunt, have target practice or even defend your home from criminals it is about the right to protect yourself from corrupted government.

And for the record I agree, some crazy person should open a music venue in Jersey City!

Posted on: 2007/5/11 12:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/30 18:54
Group:
Banned
Told you so. Told you so. God forbid we open a music venue or clothing store around here. But a gun shop, sure, thats a great idea.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017