Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New group being started: Jersey City Families for Better Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
So much could be said about timing - might be an idea to groom a member to be a candidate for the next Board of Education elections!
I see your name written all over that position Althea!

Posted on: 2007/5/1 1:01
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I'm bumping this because things are really starting to role with this group. Please join us http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jcschools/

You don't even need to be a parent or intend to send your children to a private school. This is a quality of life issue and an issue that should concern anyone paying taxes in JC, directly or indirectly. There is power in numbers.

Quote:

Althea wrote:
I thought I would let people on this list know about this new group being started. It sounds very promising and has a lot of very energetic and determined parents already setting up information sessions and resources.

JC Family fully supports this effort and hopes that anyone concerned with the JC School system join in the effort.

Althea
cfijc.org

To anyone concerned:

Jersey City Families for Better Schools (JCFBS) has been founded by community parents, who are deeply concerned about the shortage of quality public schools in Jersey City. We have come together with a love for our community and a desire to raise our children with the highest quality of education possible.

Where as, it is no longer acceptable that the choices before us are only a few good public or charter schools, already over burdened by various needs, or an expensive, private education, we will no longer stand idly by while our friends and neighbors move away in search of a better educational system in the suburbs.

Therefore, we challenge the political and educational leadership of Jersey City, in conjunction with concerned individuals and families, to make genuine and significant reform to our public education system. This will afford all residents of Jersey City the opportunity to give their children a valuable education, as well as, raising the quality of life for every resident.

We look not to be passive players on this issue, but plan to organize all concerned to work with us on effecting real change. In addition, we would like to promote a working relationship with hard working teachers and administrators, who are also committed to raising the standards of the schools and, of course, all of the parents who are willing to give their time and effort to this issue.

We look forward to listening to all of your concerns and hope you will support us in our efforts. We believe through networking, organizing, researching, assisting, and the dissemination of information, this change is not only possible, but inevitable.

You can join our group by sending an email to jcschools-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or visit us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jcschools/

If you have any comments, problems, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Shelley Skinner
Group Organizer
sleepygirlproductions@comcast.net

Posted on: 2007/5/1 0:54

Re: JC Families for Better Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
BUMP

Forum on April 5th

Board election on April 17th

Posted on: 2007/3/28 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They have a Yahoo Group here: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/jcpia/

I had assumed they were defunct since they haven't posted anything to the group in a year and have only 14 members.

Does anyone know more about them?

Quote:

pchops wrote:
Is anyone familiar with Parents in Action?

Posted on: 2007/3/16 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Is anyone familiar with Parents in Action?

Posted on: 2007/3/16 2:12

JC Families for Better Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thought some of you might like to see their press release.

Althea
JC Family Initiative

JC Families for Better Schools
201-876-8470

CONCERNED RESIDENTS OF JERSEY CITY START NEW ONLINE GROUP TO FIGHT FOR BETTER EDUCATION OPTIONS
-- Calling On Individuals and Groups in Jersey City to Participate --

JERSEY CITY, March 12, 2007 -- JC Families for Better Schools (JCFBS) announced today that it is starting its own online group related to educational issues concerning Jersey City residents. This group will serve to gather and research information, as it pertains to education in Jersey City.

JCFBS is calling on all individuals, families, and organizations to participate in the organizing and networking of all those concerned about better education in our existing and future educational system. Through networking and organizing they believe they can create viable options and solutions to the current system. Included in this endeavor, is reaching out to school administrators, teachers, elected city officials, and other groups and individuals. JCFBS will support and foster a stronger relationship between community and educators in order to ensure change for the better does take place.

You may join the group by signing up on site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jcschools/ or sending an email to jcschools-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

?The dearth of good schools in Jersey City really has reached a crisis level for many, many families who love their community but see no opportunity for a high caliber education for their children. The choices are few. The exodus of families out of Jersey City is in full swing. I am tired of watching my neighbors and friends leave the city in search of better educational opportunities for their children in the suburbs,? says Shelley Skinner, JCFBS organizer. "As parents and citizens this is an opportunity to come together and make a meaningful change.?

About Jersey City Families for Better Schools
Jersey City Families for Better Schools (JCFBS) has been founded by community parents, who are deeply concerned about the shortage of quality schools in Jersey City. We have come together with a love for our community and a desire to raise our children with the highest quality of education possible. JCFBS is an organization representing a diverse group of parents, individuals, administrators and educators in Jersey City. For further information about JCFBS please log on to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jcschools/ or email us at jcschools-owner@yahoogroups.com.

Posted on: 2007/3/13 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
DON'T YOU SHAKE THOSE THINGS AT ME!

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Nasty cold for a week or possible asthma for life. They should be sued!

Posted on: 2007/3/10 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Nasty cold for a week or possible asthma for life. They should be sued!

Posted on: 2007/3/10 17:38
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
This was the article about children's medicines - see below.
Thank-you for the post about 'Avent' Althea. I like how the English newspapers forgot to include 'Avent' on that list I saw. (Avent is made in England)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cocktail of additives found in child medicines

Dan Bell
Saturday March 10, 2007
The Guardian

Children's medicines contain a cocktail of additives which are banned in food and drink aimed at under-threes, says a report out today from the Food Commission.
Dyes, preservatives, and sweeteners were found in cough syrups, paracetamol tablets and teething gels. One product contained eight E numbers.

The campaign group looked at 41 medicines for children under three. Only one, Superdrug children's dry cough syrup, was totally free of colourings and preservatives. Some of the additives can lead to asthma or act as mild laxatives, and most are banned from food and drink for under-threes, even though they are allowed in medicines aimed at young children.

Across the medicines analysed, there were four synthetic colourings or azo dyes, 10 preservatives, and six sweeteners. Some 31 out of 41 products contained preservatives, the most common being benzoates - E numbers E210 to E219; reactions can include skin rashes or wheezing. Only some of the medicines displayed warnings of additives' possible side effects.
Buttercup infant cough syrup had two E number dyes, while Calpol paracetamol, Anbesol teething gel, Sudafed children's syrup, and Superdrug children's chesty cough syrup, contained one azo dye apiece. Tixylix night cough syrup, sold for children over one year old, contained both benzoate and sulphite preservatives. Some medicines contained sweeteners sorbitol, maltitol and xylitol, which can have a laxative effect in high doses.

A Food Commission spokesman, Ian Tokelove, said additives were usually listed in the fine print inside the product packs. "If you are a concerned parent, you are often not going to know what is in medicine until you get it home."

The commission is lobbying the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency to ensure child medicines are additive-free. The agency said drug manufacturers were required to justify any additives before getting a licence to market a product; some needed preservatives to maintain their shelf-life.

"Many also have a very unpleasant taste, and require sweeteners and other flavours to help ensure palatability, especially for children," it said. "Some people, including children, have to take multiple medicines and easy identification by colour and other means helps ensure they take the right medicine at the right time."

The report said natural colourings were an alternative to synthetic azo dyes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on: 2007/3/10 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Avent is on the list. We use Avent, although we mostly breast feed. I feel a lot of guilt now. Parents just never catch a break!

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/ ... eports/toxic-baby-bottles

Posted on: 2007/3/10 14:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
Not wanting to create a new 'subject' thread and since this related to education and children, I have added this here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter and children's cold go hand in hand, so when I came across this article in the newspaper I thought some parents might be interested.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,2030851,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=1

There was an article some days back that highlighted a number of baby bottles that were evaluated as being unsafe due to the plastics used to manufacture them. I do recall the name of 'gerber' and other brands. We use 'avent' for our little man, and it was not on the list.

I just can't understand how these pharmaceutical companys and baby product manufacturers, put profit or cut corners with children's health.

Posted on: 2007/3/10 13:30

New group being started: Jersey City Families for Better Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I thought I would let people on this list know about this new group being started. It sounds very promising and has a lot of very energetic and determined parents already setting up information sessions and resources.

JC Family fully supports this effort and hopes that anyone concerned with the JC School system join in the effort.

Althea
cfijc.org

To anyone concerned:

Jersey City Families for Better Schools (JCFBS) has been founded by community parents, who are deeply concerned about the shortage of quality public schools in Jersey City. We have come together with a love for our community and a desire to raise our children with the highest quality of education possible.

Where as, it is no longer acceptable that the choices before us are only a few good public or charter schools, already over burdened by various needs, or an expensive, private education, we will no longer stand idly by while our friends and neighbors move away in search of a better educational system in the suburbs.

Therefore, we challenge the political and educational leadership of Jersey City, in conjunction with concerned individuals and families, to make genuine and significant reform to our public education system. This will afford all residents of Jersey City the opportunity to give their children a valuable education, as well as, raising the quality of life for every resident.

We look not to be passive players on this issue, but plan to organize all concerned to work with us on effecting real change. In addition, we would like to promote a working relationship with hard working teachers and administrators, who are also committed to raising the standards of the schools and, of course, all of the parents who are willing to give their time and effort to this issue.

We look forward to listening to all of your concerns and hope you will support us in our efforts. We believe through networking, organizing, researching, assisting, and the dissemination of information, this change is not only possible, but inevitable.

You can join our group by sending an email to jcschools-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or visit us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jcschools/

If you have any comments, problems, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Shelley Skinner
Group Organizer

Posted on: 2007/3/9 1:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!