Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: ideas for more parks in newport
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
So basically, the question is: "Given the accepted plan, the top map, where could one put parkland."
Answer: There is no room for parkland..

Another way to phrase the issue is:
1. Lefrak will not build any parks.
2. Therefore, there will NOT BE any parks.

The technique is to keep moving "the (prospective) park" further and further into the future...and to the North. Eventually, there will be a postage sized lot left suited only for building THE LAST HURRAH, aka, the CHENEY!
The Lefrak can turn round and say to the Planning Commission, "but YOU approved every square inch" as indeed they will have.

Posted on: 2007/4/30 12:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/27 12:58
Group:
Registered Users
make the harsimus stem street level parks

then use the retaining wall and dirt as landfill for a ten acre waterfront park where the yacht club now is

or perhaps just south of the yacht club pier between the pier marked f and the yacht club pier

that would sort of be a continuation to the harismus stem

it would be awesome

"the great lawn of newport"

Posted on: 2007/4/26 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
All good points Ian.. and in fact, of course, its happening RIGHT NOW with the three level Home Depot begin built ON TOP OF a three level parking deck two blocks from Target. Somehow, though, I cant see, even in 15 years, that Target lot going SUPER high density, but what do I know. I think I swore nothing would ever happen in Metro Plaza, and a week later they announced Pep Boys was going to that huge Architectonica tower.

Posted on: 2007/4/26 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

does lefrak secretly plan to develope around target in 2035?

My guess is most of Newport will be in-filled after the masterplan is built out in 10 to 15 years, not just the big box stores. Either way, most big box stores are built with a life of less than 20 years-- build cheap and fast, and if the store is still turning a profit in 20 years its probably cheaper and faster to rebuild a new store than remodel the old one. that being said, by 2035, the value of the land will probably be too great to not build higher density. Probably sooner, actually. So in short, I would expect target to eventually be replaced with more urban friendly buildings. Also, big box stores are beginning to move into urban areas now, and are redesigning stores and the shopping experience to accommodate life in the city.

For instance, the Whole Food's in Union square has the shopping car lift. IKEA Paramus has a similar shopping car escalator. These escalators allow box stores to be multiple levels so shoppers still have shopping carts and can buy lots of things they don't need, but the stores aren't limited to flat, ground level structures. Also, most of the big box stores-- Bed Bath and Beyond, Home Depot-- all have urban location in Manhattan. Staples I'm sure, would love having a another office tower above them-- think how many more pens they can sell with a 1,000,000 square feet of offices above them. Anyway, I'd say its all a matter of time before thats all built up too.

Posted on: 2007/4/26 20:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
how about covered parking all around taget and have an elevated park on that entire huge square?

how about land fill pushing out in some of the areas like lets say near the yacht club or north of the elipse?

assuming money is no object is land fill pushing out in some of those areas remotely possible or impossible for a zillion reasons

does lefrak secretly plan to develope around target in 2035?

Posted on: 2007/4/26 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2007/4/26 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Can't you see just by looking at your image what a fruitless idea you have? LeFrak is like a poster child for "The Corporation" film, an entity that will never do anything other than the most profitable. That means developing every lot they can, since parks don't turn profit, and they calculate the extra profit from that development easily offsets any stunting of prices due to a lower quality of life in the area with no parks.

The point of the redevelopment plan was to insure they DID create parks, but our compliant government hasn't found the will to hold them to their agreements, including their environmental impact statement.

Sad to say, public or private, there's no one looking out for our future. Reservoir 3 was a rare win, and I wouldn't be surprised if that game isn't really over.

Posted on: 2007/4/26 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
ideas for more parks in newport...

Quote:

maculata wrote:
...$10,000 to anyone who comes up with an idea that lefrak agrees to use...

Do I get $10,000 if Lefrak goes for something like this?

CLICK HERE

Posted on: 2007/4/26 0:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
so here is the latest master plan i can find
anyone have an idea on how and where to add more park space?
$10,000 to anyone who comes up with an idea that lefrak agrees to use

Posted on: 2007/4/26 0:14

ideas for more parks in newport

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/4/26 0:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username: