Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Re: Van Vorst Park---Dog Run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
This weekend marks the One Year Anniversary of the official opening of the Van Vorst Park Dog Run.

We will be celebrating from 9 AM - 3 PM this Saturday, May 3rd.
Please join us. We will have raffles, dogs for adoption,
information on the run, and other pet-related issues in Jersey City.

A table will be set up for all those who wish to promote pet related items, services, or events; we just ask that you spend some time helping to staff the table and donate a little to help out with maintenance of the run.

Canis Minor (31 River Dr. in Newport), will give all those who mention the VVP run 10% off all items in the store from May 3rd to the 9th. The store will donate 10% of all those sales to the run and will also provide two $100 gift baskets that will to be raffled off at the run on May 3rd.

May 3rd will also be the day we do some housekeeping around and in the run; raking, painting, and sweeping.

Please come out, meet your fellow animal lovers and their four-legged companions, and help with this community maintained dog run.

Parkman

Posted on: 2008/5/1 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Howdy Parkman.... I like the new green benches in the park, which is looking really great. Keep up the good work.

Minnie

Posted on: 2008/4/5 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
For all those who use the Van Vorst Park dog run, you may notice that we are out of the waste bags you have been so accustomed to for the past year. These bags are provided by individual donations and we go through 400 of them a week at a cost of $790 per year.

If you would like to have this convenience continue, please send a check* to:

Friends of Van Vorst Park
C/o Marc Wesson
430 Communipaw Ave.
Jersey City, NJ. 07304
*please add? VVP dog run? in the memo

$200 covers three months for both runs, however any amount would be much appreciated.

For those who do not know, volunteers from the neighborhood primarily maintain this run. Hundreds of dog owners use it each month; please participate in its upkeep.

Hope you have been enjoying this new addition in VVP during its first year. Also, within the next month you will see additional improvements.

Parkman

Posted on: 2008/4/5 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Ribbon cut on new dog run in Van Vorst Park

Hudson Reporter - 05/11/2007

WITH VOLUNTEERS ? Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy (center) stands with volunteers from Goldman Sachs during the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Van Vorst Park dog run.

A ribbon-cutting ceremony for the newly constructed dog run in Van Vorst Park at Montgomery Street and Jersey Avenue in Jersey City was held last Saturday.

The run was constructed by the Department of Public Works, Division of Buildings and Streets and Division of Parks and Forestry, and was designed by the Division of Architecture.

Work on the dog run began in November with the city spending approximately $80,000. The Friends of Van Vorst Park group raised another $24,000 in private contributions.

Posted on: 2007/5/13 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
City of Jersey City

Jerramiah T. Healy, Mayor

Public Information Officer

Dept. of Public Works
(201) 547-4394

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mayor Healy to Cut Ribbon at the Van Vorst Park Dog Run
City and community praised for collaboration on state-of-the-art dog run

JERSEY CITY ? Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy will lead a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the newly constructed dog run at Van Vorst Park at 11 a.m. on Saturday, May 5, 2007 at Van Vorst Park, Montgomery Street and Jersey Avenue.

The run was constructed by the Department of Public Works, Division of Buildings and Streets and Division of Parks and Forestry, and was designed by the Division of Architecture.

?We are extremely pleased with how this dog run came to life,? Mayor Healy said. ?From concept to construction, the neighbors of Van Vorst Park have played a critical role in seeing their dream become a reality. By working closely with the city, dogs now have a designated place to recreate in the park, while at the same time keeping the grasses of the park protected.?

Work on the dog run began in November, after community members and city officials worked out the details for the run. Though initial bids for the dog run came in close to $300,000, the city chose to do the work in-house and spent approximately $80,000. The Friends of Van Vorst Park raised another $24,000 in private contributions.

?This dog run shows how the city can work with the community to achieve what both residents and taxpayers can agree upon,? Director Yurchak said. ?This is an example of how to make positive improvements to a neighborhood, while practicing responsible spending on behalf of the City.?

In keeping with the historic design of the Van Vorst Park neighborhood, a wrought-iron fence was built to secure the dog run. The Department of Public Works will be installing two additional benches, and further enhancements will be handled by the Friends of Van Vorst Park.

The donations raised by Friends of Van Vorst Park were used to pay for part of the cost of the fence and for water fountains for the dogs and waste stations. State-of-the-art features like Zeolyte ? crushed granite that helps reduce odors ? were installed by the Department of Public Works.

The dog run, which is open during regular park hours, is separated into two areas ? one for small dogs and one for large dogs. A list of rules and regulations regarding use of the dog run is posted on its fence.

For more information on the ribbon-cutting or the Van Vorst Park Dog Run, please contact Jennifer Morrill at 201-547-4934.//////

Posted on: 2007/4/30 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PhillyGirl wrote:
Parkman: A few of us do little bits around the edges but fear officially volunteering and the commitment that might entail. This leads me to my comments of the day:

1. As a dog owner, I frequent all of the areas of VVP where we are allowed. Sometimes my dog pees and poops. I ALWAYS pick up the poop immediately and I do my best to keep the dog from peeing on the flowers. But I do not stop him from peeing around the edges of the park or at the base of trees. He's not a big fan of the dog run and he's always gotta go before we get there anyway. And, although you can usually keep a dog from peeing in a certain place, it is almost impossible to make them pee on command.

Anyway, my real point is that as I generally have several plastic bags with me, I almost always pick up litter and even strange dog poops within the vicinity of where my does goes. Sometimes, I even spend our whole walk meandering around the park picking up trash. I can tell you that I have seen other dog owners use their plastic bags in this manner. I can also say that I have NEVER seen a parent with a child do anything of the sort. There will always be bad actors and the best we can do is minimize their damage and chip in to clean up after them. Maybe if the parents did this too, the park would be cleaner for everyone.

2. Parkman, in my haphazard way of "contributing," I emptied the poop trash in the dog run the other day and put in a new trash bag. This task, which is obviously gross in any instance, was made quite a bit more gross because the metal mechanisms inside the waste station caught and ripped the trash bag -- right through to the poop. It was very hard to get the bag out without smearing poop everywhere. Has this happened to others? It is my opinion that the metal circular things that are supposed to keep the trash bag up are more of a nuisance than a help. If this has happened to others, perhaps we should consider an alternative method for securing the bags. Just a thought/suggestion, not a demand of any sort.

Thanks again for all of your hard work!
First of all, thank you for helping around the park.

PG
First of all, thank you for helping around the park.

It still amazes me how some people can be so inconsiderate of others. We pull left over food and bottles from the gardens all the time when there is a trash can just 5 feet away. We need more people like you that care about where they live and know that it does make a difference in our quality of life, even with small issues like this.

As to the trash liner in the waste station, I ordered a large quantity of heavier gauge bags, which should arrive by Tuesday. We?ll see if that helps.

Posted on: 2007/4/29 21:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman: A few of us do little bits around the edges but fear officially volunteering and the commitment that might entail. This leads me to my comments of the day:

1. As a dog owner, I frequent all of the areas of VVP where we are allowed. Sometimes my dog pees and poops. I ALWAYS pick up the poop immediately and I do my best to keep the dog from peeing on the flowers. But I do not stop him from peeing around the edges of the park or at the base of trees. He's not a big fan of the dog run and he's always gotta go before we get there anyway. And, although you can usually keep a dog from peeing in a certain place, it is almost impossible to make them pee on command.

Anyway, my real point is that as I generally have several plastic bags with me, I almost always pick up litter and even strange dog poops within the vicinity of where my does goes. Sometimes, I even spend our whole walk meandering around the park picking up trash. I can tell you that I have seen other dog owners use their plastic bags in this manner. I can also say that I have NEVER seen a parent with a child do anything of the sort. There will always be bad actors and the best we can do is minimize their damage and chip in to clean up after them. Maybe if the parents did this too, the park would be cleaner for everyone.

2. Parkman, in my haphazard way of "contributing," I emptied the poop trash in the dog run the other day and put in a new trash bag. This task, which is obviously gross in any instance, was made quite a bit more gross because the metal mechanisms inside the waste station caught and ripped the trash bag -- right through to the poop. It was very hard to get the bag out without smearing poop everywhere. Has this happened to others? It is my opinion that the metal circular things that are supposed to keep the trash bag up are more of a nuisance than a help. If this has happened to others, perhaps we should consider an alternative method for securing the bags. Just a thought/suggestion, not a demand of any sort.

Thanks again for all of your hard work!

PG

Posted on: 2007/4/29 20:18

Re: Van Vorst Park and the Dog Run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Uuummmm... the dog run is to let pets off the leash. Some owners have dogs that "do not play well with others". I guess these dog owners should be banned from the park or should tell their dogs to hold it?

I just think your request is a little unreasonable.

However, as a dog and kid owner myself, I feel that kid owners who let their kids pee and deficate on the tree INSIDE THE CHILDRENS PLAYGROUND should be banned from the park permanently. Babies crawl back there and eat food and sticks that are on the ground! Show a little common sense!

Althea

Posted on: 2007/4/27 2:58

Re: Van Vorst Park and the Dog Run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cutiepie wrote:
As someone who walks throught the Park at least twice a day, I am astonished by the number of dog owners who continue allow their dogs to deficate and urinate in the Van Vorst Park. I thought the dog run was built to alleviate this type of activity.

Dog owners, please be considerate of those of us who have children who play on the grass.
Cutiepie,

I?m pleased that you are enjoying the park daily but you need to understand that the dog run was not built to be a toilet. It?s for off-leash use and exercise.

There are two pet free areas that are stricly enforced, one by the flagpole and the other on Barrow st. They should not be in the gardens or in areas where we have children?s playgrounds. Other then those spaces, dogs are allowed to be on-leash in the park. The law requires dog?s owners to pick up after their pets.

If you see owners doing other than what is set by law, call animal control or the police, they have been very responsiive to these issues as of late.

Posted on: 2007/4/27 2:06

Van Vorst Park and the Dog Run

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/31 0:11
Group:
Registered Users
As someone who walks throught the Park at least twice a day, I am astonished by the number of dog owners who continue allow their dogs to deficate and urinate in the Van Vorst Park. I thought the dog run was built to alleviate this type of activity.

Dog owners, please be considerate of those of us who have children who play on the grass.

Posted on: 2007/4/27 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jessicapuppy wrote:

Where I emailed Steve Fuller when he first got elected but didn't take office yet and he came to our second vote and pledged his support to to the out come of the community vote.

For which ward is "Steve Fuller" the councilperson? And when was Mr. Fuller elected?

I think there's an entire plane in hell for people who fail to follow through on things, for whatever reasons, and then go back and seek to take all the credit for the hard work and diligence of others.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 2:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/17 1:04
From downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Quote:

jessicapuppy wrote:
Ok, I have read this big old thread about the dog run. My wife and I (Asa & Jessica)and MIA are the ones mainly responsible for the dog run.
BULLS*it

5. Be polite, on-topic, and constructive with the content of your post.

ParkMan whats up with the agression?

I can send you the original dog run design I drew up on my computer (looks very much like the final, just smaller). I can send you the meeting minutes from vanvorstdog.org. Where we set up the community votes with VVPA. The articles in the newspaper where we continually pushed for the run.

Where I emailed Steve Fuller when he first got elected but didn't take office yet and he came to our second vote and pledged his support to to the out come of the community vote.

Its funny how when you leave JC and a year and half later everyone forgets you, even after working on the dog run for six years.

It doesn't matter who gets credit. All that matters is the end result.

Posted on: 2007/4/16 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Mr_X wrote: Its raining. Take a look out in the dog run toilet these next few days and you will see a nasty cesspool of urine and feces.
Drainage requires grading, catch basins, and somewhere for the water to go. This dog park has none of that.
This is not only disgusting. It poses a real danger to the health and safety of anyone in and around the park. With the increasing number of dogs in the park it is only going to get worse.
When is real drainage going to be installed?
Before you make blanket statements of fact, perhaps you should check first. The City did grade the run from a high point on the north side to a low on the south. There is a French drainage system installed which, if you bothered to look, is tied into the catch basin a few feet right of the entrance. Again, if you look inside that basin, you will see the pipe coming through the run curb with water draining from the surface. There is 150 tons of material inside the run and it will take some time to fully drain but you will find that the run will be dry before the rest of the park. As far as being a health hazard, the purpose of putting in the system was to be able to wash away the waste with a good rain. This not a good rain, my basement already has 7? of standing water thanks to the City?s antique sewer system. So tied into that system, the run is presently a lake. If you feel that the run was not properly built you are welcome to call the head City Architect Glenn Wrigley, who designed the drainage, and express your concerns; 201 547-5900.First, get your facts straight.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 20:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
What are you talking about? I'm usually in the run 2-3 times a day and have yet to smell urine at all--I've asked others too. I've seen some people not clean up poop, but haven't smelled the urine.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Y'all bitched that I was the only voice of contempt and dissapproval. Welcome to the dark side of Van Vorst Park's fenced-in Dog Urine Puddle.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HPDweller wrote:
I passed by the run yesterday and did not detect any offensive odors whatsoever, I stopped and leaned on the fence to watch the doggies too so i got close enough to detect any foul smells and I'm happy to say there weren't any

You gotta catch it just right. Just be thankful you didn't get a whiff, but trust me - it's there.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Damn, what the hell is with the dog siht, aren't owners required to pick up after their mutts? Are you sure it's dog siht and not human, from the homeless?

Nothin' like the smell of urine and crap after a spring shower!

Posted on: 2007/4/15 17:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/24 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Its raining. Take a look out in the dog run toilet these next few days and you will see a nasty cesspool of urine and feces.
Drainage requires grading, catch basins, and somewhere for the water to go. This dog park has none of that.
This is not only disgusting. It poses a real danger to the health and safety of anyone in and around the park. With the increasing number of dogs in the park it is only going to get worse.
When is real drainage going to be installed?

Posted on: 2007/4/15 17:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 6:39
Group:
Banned
I passed by the run yesterday and did not detect any offensive odors whatsoever, I stopped and leaned on the fence to watch the doggies too so i got close enough to detect any foul smells and I'm happy to say there weren't any

Posted on: 2007/4/15 16:01

Edited by HPDweller on 2007/4/15 16:33:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
actually - *I* take credit for the dog run, and i am the one to blame for the urine smelling swamp it wil be tomorrow fo r there is NO drainage system to speak of.

I also take credit for all of MIA's stupid flyers that she puts out there asking people to tune into her idiotic public access TV show. (mia: it's a dog run not a bulletin board. knock it off)

Please thank me when your healthy dog uses the run and comes back worse for wear due to dog fights and the sharing of toys with thqat mangy akita.

You're more than welcome.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jessicapuppy wrote:
Ok, I have read this big old thread about the dog run. My wife and I (Asa & Jessica)and MIA are the ones mainly responsible for the dog run.
BULLS*it

Posted on: 2007/4/15 5:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/17 1:04
From downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Basically Van Vorst was renovated years ago and it was a nasty mess. The design was not 100% percent community approved. The redesign was suppose to include an area for dogs but didn't.

A very anti dog community leader at the time tried to have dogs banned from the park. This backfired and the law was changed to guarantee no JC park would restrict dogs more than 49% of sq footage.

But they did redesign the park and put in tons of gardens and omitted the dog run. This lead to years of battling. The dog owners trying to get a space for dogs to run free.

So Me and my wife took up the good fight to get a dog run put in. I put up a website and lead a small group and called for a community vote. We had two votes spread out over 4 years. Each vote overwhelmingly confirmed a need for the dog run and agreed on its location. These votes by dog owners and non dog owners clearly made it a very democratic process.

The dog run finally built was actually smaller than originally designed. It was important the run wasn't to small other wise it wouldn't be used.

Some who haven't been in the area for a long time might not know all the history. This run is the result of a grassroots effort by a majority of VVP residents.

Alas after years of living in JC we never saw the run completed. We had a few more kids and had to move to a big house upstate.

People may comment pro and against the run or the design. In the end this dog run is a good thing for the park and the community. It came from the hearts and minds of the residents of Jersey City. It was a very democratic process that made it happen. (Odd in JC politics).

I take great pride in knowing all my work for many years finally got the dog run built. It?s a shame my dogs never got to enjoy it.

Asa & Jessica

Posted on: 2007/4/15 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Parkie:

I will cease all commentary on the dog run until May 6th. That equates to me stopping bitching part deux.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
I want to make it clear that I have no problem with constructive criticism or for that matter, acknowledgement of the efforts being made. What I like to suggest is that everyone hold off until we officially open on May 5th; by then I hope to have everything in place that was planned for the run. Those items include- 3 benches, the 2 water fountains for the dogs connected, plants around the perimeter of the fence, a hose connection tied into the water fountains, the two picnic tables reinstalled in the park, repair of the damage done by the construction to the garden fences, a 2? fence around the pet fee areas, establish a group of volunteers to help maintain the run, replacement of 2 street trees, and 6 new trees within the park, 3 of which will surround the run.

If that is not enough then just enjoy the way the park is going to look in the next 3 weeks as it blooms.

Posted on: 2007/4/2 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
can the dog run be hosed with water to help eliminate the smell of dog piss?

Posted on: 2007/4/2 0:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Oh Rabbit.

Nice sig.

Happy April.

Posted on: 2007/4/1 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:
I?m really getting tired of having to respond to every little complaint ...

Parkman, you are not obligated to respond to every single complaint -- you have already gone above and beyond what anyone else would have done. Thanks for all the hard work. Now take some time to enjoy it and let the critics go somewhere else.

Plus, with the exception of the noise complaint, just about all the other complaints seem to come from one single person who, contrary to what he may believe, is not speaking for the many others who use the dog run and enjoy it.

(Now I have to go into a JCList relocation program to protect myself from his fury, but whatever.)

No fury here Jenny. I never said I didnt appreciate his hard work - I just feel like a lot of the decisions he made were ill-advised and caused more problems than he anticipated or we cared to have to deal with.

Also - I never said I represented or was "speaking for the many others who use the dog run and enjoy it." I said I was speaking for the many others I have spoken to who do not enjoy it, or enjoy it and have valid gripes. I never said my commentary was all encompassing. Also, I have overheard others in cafes and on the Path bitching and moaning about it as well - many of whom mentioned that they were not dog owners. So it's not just me. You can't possibly think that something so controversial as the VVP DR was going to be unanimously appreciaed by all did you? If so, please return to under your rock.

As for Parkie: When are the crushed garden fences going to be replaced? You mentioned the city was going to correct that mistake they made.

Posted on: 2007/4/1 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Well put jenny, but I can't believe you said that!

Posted on: 2007/4/1 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:
I?m really getting tired of having to respond to every little complaint ...

Parkman, you are not obligated to respond to every single complaint -- you have already gone above and beyond what anyone else would have done. Thanks for all the hard work. Now take some time to enjoy it and let the critics go somewhere else.

Plus, with the exception of the noise complaint, just about all the other complaints seem to come from one single person who, contrary to what he may believe, is not speaking for the many others who use the dog run and enjoy it.

(Now I have to go into a JCList relocation program to protect myself from his fury, but whatever.)

Posted on: 2007/4/1 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman you are the perfect example of the old saying
"no good deed goes un-punished"
I've no dog in this fight but i feel for you buddy i really do.Tell them all to f___ off and go back to your plants.

Posted on: 2007/4/1 0:20

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017