Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: HCDO ticket launched in 31st District - The gloves are off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Two warring Democratic organizations want your vote!

Both have 'reformers' on their ticket as they gear up for June 5 state legislative runs

Jessica Rosero
Reporter staff writer 04/06/2007

Two Democratic slates of candidates want your vote in June for the 33rd District state Senate and Assembly seats - those covering Guttenberg, Hoboken, Union City, Weehawken, West New York, and a portion of Jersey City.

On June 5, you can vote in the Democratic primary for two Assembly seats and one state Senate seat, as well as county offices including sheriff and county clerk.

For almost all the positions, there is a bitter battle going on between the long-standing Hudson County Democratic Organization (HCDO) and the newly formed Democrats for Hudson County (DFHC).

Both tickets have newcomers as well as political veterans on their slates.

Vega vs. Stack

In the run for state Senate in the 33rd District are Silverio "Sal" Vega and Brian P. Stack, who currently work together as assemblymen for the 33rd District and are the mayors of West New York and Union City respectively.

They are competing for the vacant seat left by Senate Majority Leader Bernard Kenny of Hoboken, who will be retiring at the end of his term.

"It's about defending the people from the political bosses in Hudson County," said Stack, who is the leader of the "Democrats for Hudson" ticket, last week. "It's about the people of Hudson County - not the political machine."

Vega, who is heading the Hudson County Democratic Organization ticket, said, "Honesty and integrity. That is what my candidacy is all about. My opponent is corrupt. My opponent is under state and federal investigation. This is the time to stand up for what is best for Hudson County."

Vega is equating the upcoming election to the biblical battle of David and Goliath.

"I am David, and I am telling Goliath that I will meet him at the battlefield, and I will slay the beast," he said.

Both Stack and Vega have said they are hoping that the campaign will remain on the issues such as health care and other quality of life issues, but both sides are anticipating a dirty campaign.

"I expect a dirty campaign from the HCDO because they don't have a record to run on," said Stack. "I have opened up the doors of my office, and [given out] the numbers of my cell phone and office phone. I have been accessible in the 33rd District."

"[This campaign] is going to be about facts and issues," said Vega. "It's a matter of character. You are either honest or you're corrupt and I have always chosen to be honest."

Stack has said that he would be open to a debate with his opponent.

During the HCDO announcement last Wednesday, Vega also called for their first debate to be in Spanish on Univision Ch. 41. He is also inviting Stack to pick the time and date.

Candidates for state Assembly

Since both Vega and Stack are both running for Senate, they also have backed candidates for the two Assembly seats that they currently hold in their district.

The candidates hoping to win the seats are familiar public servants in their home districts.

Running on the HCDO ticket is former Hoboken Councilwoman and mayoral candidate Carol Marsh. Alongside her is Union City civic leader Nicole Harrison Garcia. Garcia is also the wife of former Assemblyman and Mayor Raul "Rudy" Garcia, who was recently arraigned in a state investigation into an international gambling ring. (See www.unioncityreporter.com).

"I believe government should be a team effort," said Marsh last week. "I have always worked very hard on reform issues and I look forward to working on them in Trenton. I'm sure it's going to be quite an election." Garcia said, "This is a quest for the 33rd District and this is a quest for Hudson County. I'm a lifelong resident of Hudson County and a have maintained a lifelong affection for my community."

Running on the DFHC ticket are current West New York Commissioner Caridad Rodriguez and Hoboken Councilman-at-large Ruben J. Ramos Jr.

"This is about serving the people of the 33rd District to the best of our ability," said Ramos. "I probably won't [work] 24/7 like Mayor Stack, but maybe 18/6. I look forward to the victory of this slate."

"I love to help people and I want to continue helping people [in the 33rd District]," said Rodriguez. "My motto is helping people is the natural way of being. I intend to keep fighting for the benefit of the people."

All of the candidates will be touching upon similar issues throughout the campaign including: affordable housing, health care, education, and reform for a more inclusive and open government.

Countywide candidates

This "Dems for Hudson" ticket also includes Noemi Velazquez running for county executive, incumbent Joseph Cassidy for sheriff, and Acting County Clerk Mary Jane Desmond for county clerk.

The HCDO is supporting incumbent County Executive Tom DeGise for re-election, Barbara Netchert for Hudson County clerk, and Juan Perez for Hudson County sheriff.

HCDO and DFHC

The Vega team presented a united front as they officially announced their candidacies last Wednesday, April 4, at West New York Town Hall.

They were joined by Hudson County Executive Tom DeGise, also running this June, as well as Mayor David Roberts of Hoboken, and Mayor Nicholas Sacco of North Bergen. Also supporting the HCDO slate was Mayor Jeremiah Healy of Jersey City, who gave a special performance of "God Bless America."

"Sal Vega is a very strong leader. He is a man dedicated to public service, who never walks away from a fight," said DeGise. "I am proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with him."

The newly formed DFHC also presented their united front last Tuesday, April 3, at Lincoln Park in Jersey City announcing 12 countywide candidates for the June primary, which includes Assemblyman Louis Manzo for the 31st District.

Rep. Albio Sires also gave a brief statement and announced his support for the DFHC. "This is a group that has a reputation of working hard for the people of Hudson County, and I am happy to be here supporting such a group," said Sires.

Election profiles will be coming in the following weeks.

Jessica Rosero can be reached at jrosero@hudsonreporetr.com

Posted on: 2007/4/7 13:56

HCDO ticket launched in 31st District - The gloves are off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
The gloves are off
HCDO ticket launched in 31st District

By Al Sullivan - Hudson Reporter - 04/05

A TOUGH TICKET TO BEAT – Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy (center) stands with Assembly candidate Anthony Chiappone (left) and state Senate Candidate Sandra Bolton Cunningham (right) at a press conference in Bayonne

Amid chirping birds and vivid blue skies, members of the Hudson County Democratic Organization gathered in historic Stephen Gregg County Park on March 29 to unveil their ticket for the 31st Legislative District, as well as county-level offices.

The 31st District includes all of Bayonne and a southern third of Jersey City, and, according to County Executive Tom DeGise, has been a political battleground over the last few years in its primaries and its elections.

At a time of day when the park is usually dominated by joggers, fisherman and people walking dogs, candidates dressed as if going to church posed at the top of the great stairs to announce the candidates they will be running in the June 9 Democratic primary.

Sandra Bolden Cunningham, who is the HDCO candidate for state Senate in the 32nd District, pointed out that she frequently comes to this park to workout.
Advertisement

"I run here regularly," she said.

Calling this "a historic unity" press conference, formerly conflicting Democrats gathered to declare an end to former feuds and to promise healing of old wounds.

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who serves as chairman of the Jersey City Democratic Organization and is expected to be named the chairman of the Hudson County Democratic Organization in June, introduced the candidates to a small audience that included the media, political supporters and passing park patrons.

At the top of the HCDO ticket will be Sandra Cunningham, who is running for state Senate.

"I'm personally very happy that we have come together to make this the best ticket we can have," she said.

She will be running with Bayonne Councilman Anthony Chiappone, who four years ago won a seat in the State Assembly on a ticket led by Cunningham's husband, Glenn Cunningham.

The ticket, however, is expected to be opposed by an independent slate that is scheduled to be announced on April 3 with Assemblyman Louis Manzo challenging Cunningham for the state senate seat.

Common issues bring old foes together

L. Harvey Smith, who Glenn Cunningham beat in the 2003 primary, is also running for state Assembly on Sandra Cunningham's slate.

Smith who is a former teacher, basketball coach and guidance counselor, joined the ticket in mid-March, setting the stage for a remarkable ticket that promises to heal many political wounds of the past.

"Harvey just asked me why we keep bringing up the past," Cunningham said. "I told him we have to remember the past because it helps us see where we are going. I believe this is a new day and that we have come together. We have done something in the 31st District that has not been done in a very long time. We put aside personal differences for the interests of our people."

Glenn Cunningham and Smith had sharp disagreements in a deeply divided Democratic Party several years ago, and Smith said it was time to put aside those differences in order to come together for the good of the community.

"This isn't my plan, it is God's plan," Smith said. "I believe people recognized my general high regard for the people and my willingness to serve the public."

Smith served as council president in Jersey City during Glenn Cunningham's first three years as mayor and later became the candidate against Cunningham in the 2003 primary for state Senate. At times, the conflict between the two men became very personal, and remained unresolved at the time of Cunningham's death in May 2004.

Although rumored originally as a possible candidate for a slate headed by Incumbent State Senator Joseph Doria - who later declined to run for reelection - Smith eventually joined the Cunningham ticket.

Chiappone, who served on the state Assembly from 2004 to 2006, on the Cunningham ticket, was defeated by the HCDO in the 2006 primary.

Smith and Chiappone said each candidate has personal issues to promote, but also share a common philosophy that residents of the district deserve the best representation possible.

"There are a lot of common issues faced by both Jersey City and Bayonne," Chiappone said. "These things we will address together."

Cunningham said the group has a lot of areas of common ground, such as the development of affordable housing and the fighting of crime - especially gang violence, and other quality of life issues.

"We have the same basic desire to make some real changes and make something happen in this district," she said.

Although Cunningham has made it clear that she will be running on her own merits, she said she would seek to restore funding to some programs her husband started when he was state Senator, and to push for programs that help people get jobs in the district.

Healy played a big part in the unity ticket

Cunningham agreed last week to run with the support of the HCDO after meetings with HCDO leadership.

County Executive Tom DeGise, who is running in the Democratic primary to retain his seat, celebrated Cunningham's decision to join the HCDO ticket.

"We welcome Sandra with great respect and enthusiasm as our newly united Democratic Party brings full closure to the bitter struggle of the 2003 primary battle," DeGise said. "Four years later, we move forward together, joined by our commitment to the highest ideals for the people of Jersey City, Bayonne and all of Hudson County."

Healy has been credited with bringing the ticket together.

"We are stronger today because we are together and that would not have happened without Mayor Healy's leadership," Cunningham said.

DeGise said that in Hudson County there has never been a woman (state) Senator.

"This is going to change in June and later in on the general election, and I'm very proud to be a running mate and colleague of Sandra Bolden Cunningham," he said.

Part of a countywide ticket

Healy said the HCDO ticket is presenting a slate of candidates for the three Legislative Districts and county seats that includes five women as featured candidates.

"That's the first time ever," he said. "It is unprecedented in Hudson County and may be the first time ever in the state."

Along with Sandra Cunningham in the 31st District, the HCDO is supporting Carol March and Nichole Garcia for assembly tickets in the 33rd District, and the reelection of incumbent Assemblywoman Joan Quigley in the 32nd Dist. The HCDO is also supporting Barbara Nechert for county clerk

DeGise said Hudson County is the most ethnically diverse county in the nation, and it is important for a ticket to represent that diversity.

"It is very necessary for us to represent the all of the mosaic of Hudson County in our election officials," DeGise said.

Since Hudson County has a significant and growing population of Latinos, DeGise said Juan Perez, who is the HCDO candidate for Hudson County sheriff, will help the ticket reflect another aspect of that diversity. Perez is currently the deputy director the Jersey City Police Department.

Posted on: 2007/4/6 11:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017