Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No "more projects for poor people bunched togeth
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

when New Brunswick tore down the projects and build Hope VI housing, the aspect they played down was that the new units weren't even enough for half the project residents (many of whom wound up having to leave the city).

Between the destruction of the old towers and construction of the new low rise units, Newbies poor were given rent vouchers, which most of the city landlords refused. The poor then left the city, and were no longer New Brunswick's problem.

Quote:

Even if you don't like projects or public housing, you have to accept the fact that these people have to live somewhere. Maybe you think you can just pass poor people off on some other town, but those towns are probably thinking the same thing about Jersey City. If no one addresses the situation, eventually you're going to wind up with shanty town slums like you see in other countries, and those are problems for everyone, not just the poor.

Yes, but in New Jersey at least, every town needs to have its fair share of low income housing. The cities have a disproportional share of the impoverished largely because of historical population shifts. Obviously there are some obstacles in regards to shipping the impoverished into the suburbs-- transportation, access to jobs, local opposition. But there are benefits too, such as spreading the burden of education costs, deconcentrating poverty, disrupting drug rings and more importantly, customers of drug rings.

The trouble is in the execution. While the state agrees in principle that every community needs its fair share of low income housing, its left to individual towns to execute.

Oh, and of course, there is the political factor. The well oiled machine likes getting easy votes. Fulop's success hinges on mitigating the effect of the district's poorest voters. The gentry has lower voter turnout, while the machine is able to leverage the power of free turkeys into votes.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 13:07

Re: Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No "more projects for poor people bunched togeth
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
This one is on Long Island.

-----------------
BRENTWOOD

At-risk students offered golf class

BY BILL BLEYER

June 26, 2007

The Islip Town Board is scheduled to approve today a program in which Brentwood middle school students at risk will be taught how to play golf by mentors in an attempt to keep the young people from joining gangs.

The Gangs to Golf program would match six students from ages 11 to 14 with mentors from Stony Brook University, who will teach them the fundamentals. Then the fledgling golfers would be able to play at a town course in Brentwood with the greens fees waived during the 15-week program over the summer. The town would absorb the $2,000 cost.

"This program will take kids off the streets and onto the green for a game that builds both confidence and character," Islip Supervisor Phil Nolan said. "Right in their backyard is the town's Brentwood Country Club, a great venue for these kids to learn the game."

The program was developed by Alexander Lopez, an assistant clinical professor of occupational therapy at Stony Brook. He told The Associated Press that the "lady- and gentleman-like behavior" required on a golf course would be a good model for the students and that the game fosters good sportsmanship while exposing the children to an unfamiliar side of life.

"Many of these kids have never been out of their neighborhood," he said. "It's all they know."

Lopez said the slow pace of the game leaves a lot of time for conversation between mentors and students.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online ... 50807/met_168340341.shtml

Can their idea work in Northwest Jacksonville?

By Paul Pinkham,
The Times-Union
May 8, 2007

ATLANTA - The East Lake community has heard its share of nicknames over the years:

Atlanta's worst neighborhood.

Little Vietnam.

Hellhole, said Eva Davis, 72, who's lived there 36 years. She recalled a day when shootings were commonplace, poverty was the norm and the drug trade flourished.

"I got a first cousin that was shot right in front of my house," she said. "He wasn't but 17 years old."

But that was before a philanthropic developer, a unique public-private partnership and the game of golf transformed the area, something a handful of community leaders are hoping to replicate in Jacksonville.

Davis and others now use different words to describe the once-blighted neighborhood on Atlanta's east side.

"A little bit of heaven on Earth," said businessman Mike Myers, delaying his round of golf to help a class of second-graders on the driving range of the public course that helped prime East Lake's metamorphosis.

According to the East Lake Foundation:

Violent crime has dropped 95 percent at the former East Lake Meadows housing project, once the most dangerous neighborhood in Atlanta.

Students' test scores at the neighborhood charter school are consistently higher than their peers in the Atlanta school system; the school's predecessor was the lowest performing in the district.

Only 5 percent of East Lake's public housing residents rely on welfare, compared with 59 percent before redevelopment began 12 years ago.

Two weeks ago, a group of Jacksonville business and nonprofit representatives traveled to Atlanta to see the neighborhood for themselves. They were led by Pepper Peete, who runs The First Tee on Golfair Boulevard and has a vision for the high-crime neighborhoods around the nine-hole golf course. First Tee is a World Golf Foundation program, co-sponsored by the PGA Tour, that teaches golf skills and sportsmanship to children who wouldn't normally be exposed to the game.

"I left there [Atlanta] with an amazing amount of hope," said Ray Purvis, senior vice president of community development for the YMCA of Florida's First Coast. "There's a lot that we can glean from what they did there."

Worst to best

In 1993, Atlanta developer Tom Cousins read a newspaper article that said the majority of inmates in New York's prison system came from a handful of New York City neighborhoods.

He asked the police chief whether the same was true in Atlanta and was assured that it was, said Carol Naughton, executive director of the East Lake Foundation.

"Then he said the worst one is East Lake Meadows," Naughton said. "It wasn't called Little Vietnam because of the ethnicity. It was called that because it was a war zone."

The public housing project was built next to East Lake Country Club, one of Atlanta's most storied golf courses. In its heyday, it was the home course of golfing legend Bobby Jones.

But that was decades ago. By the '90s, crack houses lined the fairways and the club was near bankruptcy.

"It got so bad that people would get robbed [at gunpoint] playing golf," said Todd Rhinehart, executive director of the The Tour Championship in Atlanta.

Traditional attempts at help had been made by the government, faith groups and even former President Jimmy Carter, but the results were minimal, said Imam Plemon El-Amin of the Atlanta Masjid of Al-Islam.

"We'd be able to help one or two people there, but they would really have to move out of that project area to continue the change in their lives," El-Amin said. "It took the commitment and the vision and the financial connections of Tom Cousins to really rebuild that community."

Cousins had donated to charitable causes before, but at East Lake he saw an opportunity for measurable results, Naughton said. He set about to build a new community with golf as its economic engine. He took as his inspiration a book written by a Catholic priest about Jesus showing up to transform a modern-day city, El-Amin said.

Cousins bought the country club in 1993, then developed a plan to tear down East Lake Meadows and replace it with a new, mixed-income apartment complex.

"The way it was designed, you couldn't tell by where somebody lived whether they received a rent subsidy," Naughton said. Any former resident who wanted to stay could, provided they were working or in school and didn't have a serious felony record.

The plan wasn't without controversy. Cousins wanted to replace the Atlanta Housing Authority's control over the complex with the newly formed East Lake Foundation, and that took time to work out. But his biggest hurdle was winning residents' trust.

As neighborhood association president, Davis did much of the negotiating with Cousins and his representatives. They met every week for two years in sometimes stormy sessions to plan East Lake's future. Many residents, including herself, were initially suspicious, but Davis said she came to realize Cousins shared many of her dreams for the neighborhood.

Other residents, particularly the criminal element, were less supportive.

"They firebombed my house - that's how much they liked it - and came back later and shot it," Davis said. "Those were the drug dealers."

By 1998, Davis and other residents were moving back into the new Villages of East Lake, a 542-unit complex with a suburban feel and a 50-50 mix of subsidized and market-rate apartments. Cousins carved a second golf course, this one public, into the complex. Proceeds from that course and the pricier country club help fund the foundation as do revenues from The Tour Championship held at the club in September.

The educational component

Housing wasn't the only thing that changed at East Lake. In 2000, the foundation opened Atlanta's first charter school with longer school days, strong after-school and mentoring programs and a higher ratio of male teachers to compensate for absent fathers.

"We came to the conclusion that the educational component was going to be critical in helping families break the cycle of poverty," Naughton said.

Though 85 percent of Drew Charter School's 785 elementary and middle school students qualify for free or reduced-price lunches, a poverty indicator, test scores have risen dramatically. Of the 249 students who have finished eighth grade at Drew, the school has kept track of 241, and none of them have dropped out, said Chris Bennett, who runs an after-school mentorship program at Drew for high school students.

Attached to the school is a new YMCA that functions as a community center. Nearby, the public Charlie Yates Golf Course houses a First Tee program that provides golf instruction to the children of East Lake.

The neighborhood's success has brought new businesses, like Publix, to the area, something El-Amin said would have been unheard of 10 years ago. And average home prices in the surrounding area have soared from $45,000 in 1996 to $280,000 in 2005, according to the foundation.

Big dreams

Peete looks at East Lake and dreams of a similar future for the neighborhoods around Jacksonville's First Tee.

In many ways, the area around Golfair and Moncrief Road is similar to where East Lake was 15 years ago. Police statistics show it is one of the most violent areas of the city, fueled in part by the crime-infested apartment complexes west of the golf course across Moncrief. Home values are low, and aside from the nearby interstate, retail businesses are scarce.

But in other ways, a transformation already has begun. New homes are springing up across Golfair - 13 last year - in what was a field. They are being built by the nonprofit Northwest Jacksonville Community Development Corp., which has plans to build 20 more this year and is looking into taking over several nearby apartment complexes. The group has worked with police to bring crime down by attacking and buying condemned houses, said Executive Director Paul Tutwiler.

"It's about understanding that this is a catalyst for change," Tutwiler said. "We're revitalizing the spirit of the community beyond what people see."

Banker John Donahoo, chairman of First Tee's board in Jacksonville, said the challenge now is developing a common vision for revitalization of that neighborhood. In addition to residents, he said participants should include representatives of the YMCA, School Board, the city, First Tee, Community Development Corp. and Job Corps.

"You can almost visualize what this could be like. I think it's very doable with the ingredients that we have there now," said Donahoo, one of those who visited East Lake last month.

Those ingredients include A. Philip Randolph Academies of Technology and the Clanzel T. Brown Park and community center. Peete said critical pieces would be a YMCA and another school as well as buy-ins from the community, city and business leaders.

City Councilwoman-elect Denise Lee said neighborhood revitalization was why she championed The First Tee during her last stint on the council. She predicted winning community support won't be difficult.

"Any improvement that would help deter crime and help create pride and quality of life, I don't think you would find anybody opposed to it," Lee said. "Except the criminals, and hopefully they will be run out."

paul.pinkham@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4107

Posted on: 2007/7/20 7:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JSalt wrote:
Quote:

EddieExcusePossum wrote:]

-- Financial crime? I'll tell you what's a financial crime - You not giving me your spare change - That's a financial crime.

I know you have it.

and I really need it.

I'm following you.

You must be quite a fearful person. I've never once in my life felt threatened by a person asking me for change, and I'm not a very big guy.

Just to make this clear: Fast Eddie was making a joke about my concerns about Eddie the Excuse Guy.

In my defense: The panhandlers I met while I was traveling for a couple of days in San Francisco were jerks, but the panhandlers I've run into on the East Coast have almost all been a polite bunch of people. Their main sin is just that they're too touchy to deal with a bunch of bossy social workers.

Eddie the Excuse guy is different because, if you refuse to give him change, he starts following you down the block and explaining why he really needs the money and acting, generally, like some kind of Robert De Niro character. (Or maybe like the other main character in Dog Day Afternoon.)

I haven't seen him since we've started writing about him, though, and maybe the police or the social welfare people have figured something out.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 4:57

Re: Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No "more projects for poor people bunched together."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
WOW. What is going on in this city....

It's ok to build 20 new luxury condo complexes where studio apartments START at 450k. But someone wants to build housing for the poor and people start to bitch about it..

Are You Kidding me???

Now, I agree, the way our National Government handles lower income families isn't working properly, and not to mention how it forgets middle income families. The entire system need to be reworked as "You cannot permanently help a man by doing for him what he could and should do for himself"

But the housing situation in JC is getting OUT OF CONTROL. Countless families and businesses are getting priced out of their homes, and are forced to move farther away from their jobs. Take a look at the back pages of a metro newspaper and try to find one new housing complex that doesn't have the word LUXURY attached to it....

Ask anyone who works for the nypd or fdny, where you have to live a certain distance from your job...These guys can't afford to live in the areas they are paid to protect...

I am all for the "American Right to Free Business" but the greed involved with the realestate market in this area makes me want to puke.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 4:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/3 3:46
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sure, there have been affordable housing developments in Ward F, but there's also a lot of market rate housing going up in that area. The Morris Canal Redevelopment Plan will have some. The Beacon is perhaps the most prominent luxury project going up right now (although that's just on the Ward F border).

it has always been my understanding that the western border of Ward E (Fulop's ward) was Baldwin Avenue, and that the entirety of the Beacon complex was within Ward E's borders, which i thought extended south on Baldwin to the intersection of summit and grand. I have heard Fulop himself specifically say this at community meetings.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Perhaps the poor should get better educated so that they can get better jobs so that they can afford better housing.

By not buikding more projects/tenements, perhaps society is giving these people motivation to either find better paying jobs or move to more affordablle places.

It's an inherent part of capitalism that there will always be people on the bottom. If everyone went to college, for example, the value of a college education would simply be lower, and there would be more pressure for advanced degrees (as has already happened to some extent as more and more people go to college). The people who just had an associates degree or a bachelor's from a 4th tier college would be the poor. That doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to have everyone be better educated, but the fact is we will never eliminate poverty and we will always have to do something about it.

As far as moving to a more affordable area - the only affordable areas in this part of the country are usually places with no jobs.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 22:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSalt wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
What confuses me is why Richardson is going after this particular development. 39 units is not a large concentration of housing. This is a small development which is being put together by some private developers. It's not one of the mega JCHA projects.

Jersey City has plenty of low income developments, both JCHA and other private (though subsidized) housing, scattered throughout the city. And while it's true that Ward F has a large concentration of poverty, it's not because all of the low income housing projects have been dumped there.

Sure, there have been affordable housing developments in Ward F, but there's also a lot of market rate housing going up in that area. The Morris Canal Redevelopment Plan will have some. The Beacon is perhaps the most prominent luxury project going up right now (although that's just on the Ward F border).

Something else has to be going on here.

That was my first thought too - sometimes "mixed income housing" is a way of disguising the fact that you're providing less low-income housing than you used to, e.g. when New Brunswick tore down the projects and build Hope VI housing, the aspect they played down was that the new units weren't even enough for half the project residents (many of whom wound up having to leave the city).

Even if you don't like projects or public housing, you have to accept the fact that these people have to live somewhere. Maybe you think you can just pass poor people off on some other town, but those towns are probably thinking the same thing about Jersey City. If no one addresses the situation, eventually you're going to wind up with shanty town slums like you see in other countries, and those are problems for everyone, not just the poor.

I agree. What happens is it becomes someone else's issue. Just like the New York City landscape changed, so will that of its surrounding areas. See recent article from the USA Today:

Advertisement

Pa. officials concerned about migration from N.J.

By Charisse Jones,

USA TODAY

ALTOONA, Pa. ? Robin Moore had never heard of this city in the mountains of central Pennsylvania, so far in distance and feeling from her home in Newark.
Compelled by a desire to stretch her dollars and find space and safety, Moore dialed a phone number she spotted on a flier in a Newark welfare office. "I always liked Pennsylvania, so I kind of took a chance with Altoona," says Moore, 37.

In March, she moved with her husband, three daughters and grandson to a public housing development here.

"I wanted to protect my children," she says. "I wanted to protect my husband because in New Jersey, there's a lot going on. This town had more of what I wanted, a little more peace."

Moore's is one of at least 16 lower-income families who in recent months moved more than 200 miles across state lines from Newark and nearby urban enclaves to Altoona, population 47,000.

Home for Moore is a four-bedroom, two-story unit that has a back deck and mountain view, a marked change from the Newark public housing project, rife with drug dealing, where she once lived.

The arrival of Moore and others, along with inquiries by dozens of other New Jersey residents seeking subsidized housing here, has triggered concerns by Altoona housing officials that New Jersey is steering its poor to Pennsylvania, kindling tensions between longtime residents and the newcomers.

The migration is one reflection of the shortage of affordable housing in many metropolitan areas. Teachers, police officials and other middle-class workers often live far from where they work because they can't afford adequate housing in those communities.

The poor aren't much different, says Danilo Pelletiere, research director for the National Low Income Housing Coalition.

"More and more, it's not so much economic opportunity, but it's the lower housing costs" prompting poor people to move, Pelletiere says. "We have been losing low-cost rental units in most major metropolitan areas ? to condos in some cases, in others to neglect, and to even higher-priced rentals."

The Altoona phenomenon is popping up elsewhere:

?Lancaster, Calif. Communities in the Antelope Valley have seen an influx of families from Los Angeles, 70 miles away. Their public-housing vouchers enable them to afford nicer homes than they had in the city.

?Columbus, Ohio. Barbara Clark, head organizer for the local chapter of the affordable-housing advocacy group ACORN, says local families use their subsidies to find homes in the suburbs. "To find a nice home, you have to move way out," Clark says.

Then there's New Jersey, which has the nation's highest per capita property taxes and some of its most expensive housing.

Tory Gunsolley, spokesman for the Newark Housing Authority, says the agency did not direct local residents or applicants to Pennsylvania. But, he adds, "we certainly understand that if there are people desperate to find affordable housing, they will look beyond what Newark will provide."

A curious trend

It was about a year ago that the Altoona Housing Authority began getting six to eight calls a day from New Jersey residents seeking applications for subsidized housing, Executive Director Cheryl Johns says.

She found it curious that those seeking to move here had no idea where the city was.

When she finally asked an applicant why she was interested in Altoona, the caller said her welfare case worker had referred her. Johns decided to take action. "When I have almost half of the people on my waiting list from the New Jersey area, it's an issue," Johns says.

She contacted a state senator whose office tracked down two fliers, posted in a Newark welfare office, that gave the phone numbers of the Altoona Housing Authority and an apartment development in Williamsport, Pa., that accepted government rental vouchers.

Bruce Nigro, welfare director for Essex County, N.J., says that once he learned of the fliers, he banned them.

A person who qualifies by income for subsidized housing can apply for a unit anywhere, says Donna White, a spokeswoman for the Department of Housing and Urban Development, but most people stay in their local communities. Of the 1.8 million families in the rental subsidy program, 7%-10% get a voucher in one area, then use it in another, she says.

In Altoona, roughly 20% of the population qualifies for subsidized housing based on income, Johns says. Local residents get priority.Waiting lists range from 18 months to two years.

"We're not trying to discriminate against anyone," she says, but "I'm responsible for taking care of the residents of the city of Altoona."

More drug trafficking

Some Altoona residents and public officials blame an increase in drug crime on recent arrivals from New Jersey and other states.

John Grum, 48, says the city should not offer subsidized housing to out-of-towners "or at least get a good background check on them before they do." Those committing many of the crimes are "from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New Jersey. They're not Altoona people."

Kevin Harley, spokesman for Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett, says that in the past five years, drug dealers from larger cities have moved into smaller cities such as Altoona "where they can essentially be a big fish in a small pond."

Since January 2005, he says, more than 600 street-level drug dealers have been arrested in Blair County, which includes Altoona.

Robin Moore says such statistics have nothing to do with her. "My daughter's a productive member of society," she says. "My husband is, and I am, so even if it's just us three, that proves right there that (not) everybody from Jersey is ? into drugs and crime."

Moore was paying $795 a month for a two-bedroom apartment in Newark when she called the Altoona authority in January 2006.

She won't say what she pays in Altoona, but her family lives in an apartment that's larger yet cheaper than their last home in Newark.

Her husband, Corey, is a groundskeeper. Moore, a former customer service representative for a computer services firm, is looking for work and heads the tenants council in the 170-unit complex.

She says she knows some Altoona residents resent her presence. But sitting with her front door open, her children playing outside near picnic tables, she pays it no mind.

"I didn't even allow my kids to go outside when we lived in (Newark public) housing, though we had a playground," she says. "The drug dealers had taken it over. ? I know what my purpose is for coming here."

Posted on: 2007/7/19 22:09

Edited by MrWolf on 2007/7/19 22:35:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps the poor should get better educated so that they can get better jobs so that they can afford better housing.

By not buikding more projects/tenements, perhaps society is giving these people motivation to either find better paying jobs or move to more affordablle places.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
What confuses me is why Richardson is going after this particular development. 39 units is not a large concentration of housing. This is a small development which is being put together by some private developers. It's not one of the mega JCHA projects.

Jersey City has plenty of low income developments, both JCHA and other private (though subsidized) housing, scattered throughout the city. And while it's true that Ward F has a large concentration of poverty, it's not because all of the low income housing projects have been dumped there.

That was my first thought too - sometimes "mixed income housing" is a way of disguising the fact that you're providing less low-income housing than you used to, e.g. when New Brunswick tore down the projects and build Hope VI housing, the aspect they played down was that the new units weren't even enough for half the project residents (many of whom wound up having to leave the city).

Posted on: 2007/7/19 21:49

Re: Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No \"more projects for poor people bunched togeth
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

Your taxes and mine provide more in subsidies to the rich (hundreds of times over in comparison to housing subsidies to the poor) - SEE Corporate Welfare. There is no comparison when one compares the problems created by the affluent versus the poor.

I don\'t think this is true. Here are some programs that are subsidies for the poor that are quite large (not an exhaustive list):

Cash payments:
Earned Income Tax Credit
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families

Payments in kind:
Medicaid (~$330 billion in 2005)
State Children\'s Health Insurance Program
Food stamps
Housing assistance
Energy assitance

Maybe you can post a list of corporate welfare programs.

To be specific, I compared housing subsidies for the poor to corporate welfare and the costs therein, not government aid to the poor. As for corporate welfare, it is generally accepted to mean any government spending program that provides unique benefits to specific companies or industries in the way of direct grants, tax breaks or other specific preferential treatment. Some examples include agricultural subsidies (a good portion of which goes to large corporate farming concerns), R&D grants to private companies, trade barriers, tax preferences (i.e. tax credits awarded to large public companies ), to mention a few of many . Should you wish more information on this issue, you can search out the Cato Institute (No I am not a Libertarian), as they have been wrangling the government on this stuff for years.

What\'s the point of comparing one form of subsidy (housing) to all coporate welfare? For that matter why not compare the housing subsidy to educational spending, millitary spending, government bureaucracy spending, social security payments, etc (pick your large government spending category).

Took two flashpoints, of different scales, to provide perspective. It is a relevant comparison in that they both represent things that gall people. Conveying the disparity in cost of the two illustrates the relative smallness of the expense.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/7/19 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EddieExcusePossum wrote:
]

-- Financial crime? I'll tell you what's a financial crime - You not giving me your spare change - That's a financial crime.

I know you have it.

and I really need it.

I'm following you.

You must be quite a fearful person. I've never once in my life felt threatened by a person asking me for change, and I'm not a very big guy.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

Your taxes and mine provide more in subsidies to the rich (hundreds of times over in comparison to housing subsidies to the poor) - SEE Corporate Welfare. There is no comparison when one compares the problems created by the affluent versus the poor.

I don't think this is true. Here are some programs that are subsidies for the poor that are quite large (not an exhaustive list):

Cash payments:
Earned Income Tax Credit

Payments in kind:
State Children's Health Insurance Program
Food stamps
Housing assistance
Energy assitance

To be specific, I compared housing subsidies for the poor to corporate welfare and the costs therein, not government aid to the poor. As for corporate welfare, it is generally accepted to mean any government spending program that provides unique benefits to specific companies or industries in the way of direct grants, tax breaks or other specific preferential treatment. Some examples include agricultural subsidies (a good portion of which goes to large corporate farming concerns), R&D grants to private companies, trade barriers, tax preferences (i.e. tax credits awarded to large public companies ), to mention a few of many . Should you wish more information on this issue, you can search out the Cato Institute (No I am not a Libertarian), as they have been wrangling the government on this stuff for years.

What's the point of comparing one form of subsidy (housing) to all coporate welfare? For that matter why not compare the housing subsidy to educational spending, millitary spending, government bureaucracy spending, social security payments, etc (pick your large government spending category).

Posted on: 2007/7/19 20:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

I don't think this is true. Here are some programs that are subsidies for the poor that are quite large (not an exhaustive list):

Cash payments:
Earned Income Tax Credit

Payments in kind:
Food stamps
Housing assistance
Energy assitance

Posted on: 2007/7/19 19:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
alb wrote:

The muggings come from Greenville, but I'm sure most of the financial crimes come from people who live east of Jersey Avenue.

I know you have it.

and I really need it.

I'm following you.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
so when and where do we vote? do we really have a say in these things?

please advise...

Posted on: 2007/7/19 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:As an urban planning tool, "projects" do not work.

I guess you could argue that the projects have worked less well than the tenements that projects replaced, but my argument would that the current Jersey City private-market tenements (e.g., the Greenville Section 8 slums) look worse than the projects, and that sleeping in a homeless shelter or on the streets is probably way worse, especially for children, than living in any but the very worst housing projects.

If the choice here is between building concentrated housing projects and scattering affordable housing throughout the city, I'll vote for scattering affordable housing.

If the vote is for building concentrated housing projects and no housing for working poor people whatsoever, then I'll vote for the housing project.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cash payments:
Earned Income Tax Credit

Payments in kind:
Food stamps
Housing assistance
Energy assitance

Posted on: 2007/7/19 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
And I'm the one who is often accused of poor expression or comprehension - ha ha!

Posted on: 2007/7/18 20:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Yes, financial crimes are bad too but at least I don't have to worry about ending up in the hospital or morgue as a result of them.

Sometimes you do. The issues they create just aren't as apparent on the surface.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 20:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dwntownguy wrote:
Quote:

There is no comparison when one compares the problems created by the affluent versus the poor.

Mr. Wolf

Can you list them for me please?

DTG

Just a few:

Unsustainable forein conflicts (i.e. war, supporting criminal regimes, etc), corporate theft and malfeasance (i.e. Enron), environmental crimes, civil rights matters (i.e. slavery, jim crow, indian land grab, etc.), etc., etc., etc.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Amen Mr. Wolfe!

Posted on: 2007/7/18 20:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I agree 100% that the poor in these ghettoes are affected more by crime, etc. than those not in these areas.

However, everyone is affected by crime emanating from the projects. You don't have to be Einstein to realize that projects and ghettoes breed dysfunctional behavior. Just look at Paris, where all the poor africans and arabs were stuck in the suburbs.

And if you've ever been to the projects as I have on many occassions, you would know that the language and reading skills of many of the residents (parents as well as teenagers) is sub-par. If you're only surrounded by people speaking Ebonics, then you speak Ebonics.

Open your eyes, Mr. Wolfe. And wouldn't you think Ms. Richardson knows whats better for her district.

I must not be making myself clear, because I do agree with Ms. Richardson. As an urban planning tool, "projects" do not work. That said, I don't think I need someone whose occasionally stepped their toe in the project waters to illuminate me on the happennings. Trust me, I've more than occasionally visited the "projects" and have a fair perspective on the environment. My problem with the commentary is that it is stigmatizing and prejudiced. Your use of stereotypes and blabbering on about ebonics makes you appear racist, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

This is the thing, before you condemn or judge a group of people, perhaps you should try to walk a mile in their shoes. Taking potshots at the poor is ineffective when it comes to identifying (and correcting) the problems of society. It's the chicken and the egg, really.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
lets not forget smart-ass crimes by executives - just how many thousands suffered when enron (and others)imploded by crimes of greed or those smart-asses who are sending our troops to iraq to protect corporations and their wealth associated with oil.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 19:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, financial crimes are bad too but at least I don't have to worry about ending up in the hospital or morgue as a result of them.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Last time, I checked almost all of the crime was coming from a few neighborhoods

The muggings come from Greenville, but I'm sure most of the financial crimes come from people who live east of Jersey Avenue.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree 100% that the poor in these ghettoes are affected more by crime, etc. than those not in these areas.

However, everyone is affected by crime emanating from the projects. You don't have to be Einstein to realize that projects and ghettoes breed dysfunctional behavior. Just look at Paris, where all the poor africans and arabs were stuck in the suburbs.

And if you've ever been to the projects as I have on many occassions, you would know that the language and reading skills of many of the residents (parents as well as teenagers) is sub-par. If you're only surrounded by people speaking Ebonics, then you speak Ebonics.

Open your eyes, Mr. Wolfe. And wouldn't you think Ms. Richardson knows whats better for her district.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
10 points for wolfie

Posted on: 2007/7/18 18:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Last time, I checked almost all of the crime was coming from a few neighborhoods where the poor/underprivileged/under-educated are concentrated. If housing projects didn't create such problems, do u not think Ms. Richardson would welcome them with open arms?

Get real! Half the kids (teenagers) around the projects or MLK can barely speak proper english, let alone read. All they really seem to care about is listening to the latest 50 Cent song. The truth can be harsh.

Based on your tone, there is no possible way you could know what's happenning with these kids today, no less make any determination on whether they can read and speak proper english (forget the fact that they are subjected to an inferior education). Your comments are prejudical and rely solely on unfair stereotypes. That is not to say that the issues in urban areas are not significant, the problem is that life is so difficult there, it breeds all types of b*llshit that would not be so pronounced if the poor were better integrated into society (i.e. better education, quality of life, etc.). Remember, the honest law abiding citizens that live in these areas are most affected by the crime and are the most afraid.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 18:26

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017