Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Award-winner and pals keep Liberty State Park blooming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Yes!

If you walk down Jersey Ave toward LSP and just keep going, past the hospital, keep going over the light rail tracks, keeping going, over the little stinky bridge, keep going past the boats on your left and you are there! It's the best way to get there on foot or bike.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

harsimoose wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Award-winner and pals keep Liberty State Park blooming

Thursday, July 05, 2007
By BERNETTE PEARSON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Agnes de Bethune would walk to Grove Street's PATH station on her way to work and admire the beauty that is Liberty State Park.

Except for the state park's flowerbeds.

just wondering where someone lives that they would walk past Liberty State Park on their way to the Grove Street PATH station on their daily commute. Am i missing something, or is Agnes the powerwalking champion of NJ?
She lives in the Lafayette section of town and is, a matter of fact, a power walker. You?d have a hard time keeping up for her.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 15:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/14 21:56
From vvp
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

harsimoose wrote:
just wondering where someone lives that they would walk past Liberty State Park on their way to the Grove Street PATH station on their daily commute. Am i missing something, or is Agnes the powerwalking champion of NJ?

someone actually told me last night there is a path in liberty state park that ends up on jersey ave? is this true? last night was probably the second time i've ever been to lsp,

Posted on: 2007/7/5 14:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/3 3:46
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Thursday, July 05, 2007
By BERNETTE PEARSON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Agnes de Bethune would walk to Grove Street's PATH station on her way to work and admire the beauty that is Liberty State Park.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Thursday, July 05, 2007
By BERNETTE PEARSON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

She asked around, found a small group of volunteer gardeners and for the past two years they've been helping the park's gardens grow.

Every Saturday, from 8 to 11 a.m., the Jersey City resident helps prune, weed, and plant flowers in these once neglected areas of Liberty State Park.

For her dedication, de Bethune was recognized last week with a 2007 Governor's Volunteer Award.

"It's not really just for me," de Bethune said about winning the award. "It's really for everyone in the group."

She does not know where her love of gardening stems from, but while living in Manhattan, she would make small gardens in tin cans and put them outside her window.

"It's very relaxing," she said about her love of gardening. "It's one of the most important things to do."

A group of about five or so volunteers tackled the project of making Liberty State Park greener.

"Some of the projects are big," she said. "But after you're done, you look back and say 'Oh, my God! Look what we did!' "

She and her husband are both artists. By using her graphic design skills, she made display boards about the importance of gardening, which attracted attention at various environmental events.

She successfully completed a master gardener program at Rutgers University. Now, she uses her horticultural expertise to help others with their gardening and environmental questions and concerns.

"Ms. de Bethune is a role model for environmental and beautification in New Jersey," said Rowena Madden, executive director of the Governor's Office of Volunteerism.

Liberty State Park's garden volunteers are always looking for help. For more information, call (201) 915-3418.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 13:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017