Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Whitlock Cordage Interrupted?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
By Corey W. McDonald cmcdonald@jjournal.com
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- City officials broke ground on a new affordable housing project that will include more than 200 units designated for low- and moderate-income residents.

On Friday, Mayor Steve Fulop and representatives from RPM Development Group broke ground at the Whitlock Cordage site, a six-and-a-half-acre site which includes five buildings under renovation along with 29 newly reconstructed buildings.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ound_on_affordable_h.html
any news on this?

Posted on: 2019/4/4 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Corey W. McDonald cmcdonald@jjournal.com
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- City officials broke ground on a new affordable housing project that will include more than 200 units designated for low- and moderate-income residents.

On Friday, Mayor Steve Fulop and representatives from RPM Development Group broke ground at the Whitlock Cordage site, a six-and-a-half-acre site which includes five buildings under renovation along with 29 newly reconstructed buildings.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ound_on_affordable_h.html

Posted on: 2018/9/16 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/8/22 11:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i passed by lafayette park today and was amazed to see that work had resumed on whitlock cordage, or at least part of it. any more news?

http://lafayetteloftsjc.com/
No new work has not started on Whitlock, what you saw is a separate owner and developer within the 6 acre property, who is in the process of renovating his building. There's a rumor that the city and state have come to an agreement with a developer to complete the original project.

Posted on: 2017/8/22 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i passed by lafayette park today and was amazed to see that work had resumed on whitlock cordage, or at least part of it. any more news?

http://lafayetteloftsjc.com/

Posted on: 2017/8/21 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Oneskirt:

Well the JCRA and the Planning Department have as one of their missions, communicating about development. Thus, JCLIST would be a primary place to post. I think but I can't be sure, that communications have been placed here before. Are there other on line sites were this discussion might take place? There's the one that cheerleads in a nice way for development- I forget its name. Anyway, there has been no communication in the Jersey Journal, our paper of record, and at the Lafayette Community meetings, the City Planner, Matt Ward, says there is no information.

Yours,

Mao

Posted on: 2016/3/7 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
Why doesn't someone from Planning or the JCRA weigh in?

Because they don't use JCList...? Also, even if they are on here for personal reasons, I seriously doubt they are allowed to comment on city projects/things related to their job.

Posted on: 2016/3/6 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why doesn't someone from Planning or the JCRA weigh in?

Posted on: 2016/3/3 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Weba:

Matt Ward, Jersey City Planning Bd Secretary, told me that the middle building is not part of the project. That makes sense since it had stood untouched by the on again off again project low these last 15 years.

Posted on: 2016/3/3 21:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/8 15:32
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
I asked Matt from the city's Planning Department at a neighborhood meeting a couple of months ago and he had nothing at all to say! This should be an absolute focus of the Planning Department. Bad planning, bad oversight, awarding the project to incompetents and crooks. Anyway, what else to explain it? The building in the center of it, btw, is not part of the plan and another developer is moving ahead. The windows are going in now and look beautiful. I suspect the new residents of this building will not be content to live in the middle of a ghost restoration.

How did you find out that the center building was not included in the wider complex and was being developed separately?

The Jersey City Redevelopment Agency actually put out a Request for Offer to Purchase for the complex a year ago. It seems in the doc that the entire complex was for sale under the condition that a percentage of the units be set aside for affordable and workforce housing. Here is the file: http://www.state.nj.us/dca/hmfa/media ... _whitlock_mills_rfotp.pdf

Claremont Construction Corp seems to be working on the construction. They indicate on their website that they were brought on to restart the 10 year old project and are building 330 units. This likely encompasses the entire complex rather than the single center building.
http://www.clarecon.com/index.php/pro ... 3/item/105-whitlock-mills

The Request for Offer to Purchase's due date passed a year ago, but the doc figures prominently on the JCRA's webpage. My guesses are:
a) The complex was purchased and is being redeveloped by Claremont Construction but the JCRA website hasn't been updated

b) The complex has not been purchased, but somehow the JCRA has brought on Claremont Construction to see construction through in hopes of attracting a buyer.

Posted on: 2016/3/2 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I asked Matt from the city's Planning Department at a neighborhood meeting a couple of months ago and he had nothing at all to say! This should be an absolute focus of the Planning Department. Bad planning, bad oversight, awarding the project to incompetents and crooks. Anyway, what else to explain it? The building in the center of it, btw, is not part of the plan and another developer is moving ahead. The windows are going in now and look beautiful. I suspect the new residents of this building will not be content to live in the middle of a ghost restoration.

Posted on: 2016/3/1 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
any news on this? i passed by a few days/weeks ago and noticed people were actully working on this.

Posted on: 2016/2/28 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nemobeatz-

Thanks for the info. My wife is on NextDoor - but I have resisted as I spend too much time on the internet already.

Hope springs eternal re Whitlock

Mao

Posted on: 2015/10/14 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Mao, are you on Nextdoor.com? We have a private social network with 350+ neighbors on it for things going on in Lafayette, so I copied and pasted your query over there (click here to join). Here are two of the responses:

-That building was always separate than the rest of the complex and I think that owner has started the renovation of that warehouse into residences. Don't recall how many. As for the rest of the site, I think they are closer to resolving all the legal issues and have found a new developer to finish / reconstruct it.

-It would appear that they're turning the last building into a parking garage. This is good!

One of the main reasons they never ended up opening up in say 2012, when they tried at city hall, was because many nearby residents attended the city hall meeting and voiced major concern over an Enormous lack of parking for what seem to be hundreds of units and families flooding the area in a short period of time. They were expected to use the 3 surrounding streets for all the parking needs.

City Hall required the facility to provide parking, and so it seems to have potentially come to fruition. We will see as the construction progresses. Fingers crossed.

Why don't you guys reach out the developer to have a meeting? Would help build relations and you'd get the full update (hopefully).

I totally would, but the project has changed hands so many times we have no clue who the developer might be!

Posted on: 2015/10/14 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Mao, are you on Nextdoor.com? We have a private social network with 350+ neighbors on it for things going on in Lafayette, so I copied and pasted your query over there (click here to join). Here are two of the responses:

-That building was always separate than the rest of the complex and I think that owner has started the renovation of that warehouse into residences. Don't recall how many. As for the rest of the site, I think they are closer to resolving all the legal issues and have found a new developer to finish / reconstruct it.

-It would appear that they're turning the last building into a parking garage. This is good!

One of the main reasons they never ended up opening up in say 2012, when they tried at city hall, was because many nearby residents attended the city hall meeting and voiced major concern over an Enormous lack of parking for what seem to be hundreds of units and families flooding the area in a short period of time. They were expected to use the 3 surrounding streets for all the parking needs.

City Hall required the facility to provide parking, and so it seems to have potentially come to fruition. We will see as the construction progresses. Fingers crossed.

Why don't you guys reach out the developer to have a meeting? Would help build relations and you'd get the full update (hopefully).

Posted on: 2015/10/14 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/10/14 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
haha, no problem. I was just perplexed. I mean I have met the guy once or twice but he barely looked up from his iphone.

Posted on: 2015/10/13 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
Uh, no, Monroe, I don't. But, thanks, I guess. And it seems no one has any information about the recent activity and what is next?

Sorry, I thought you were someone else and by the time I found that out I couldn't edit or remove my post

Posted on: 2015/10/13 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Uh, no, Monroe, I don't. But, thanks, I guess. And it seems no one has any information about the recent activity and what is next?

Posted on: 2015/10/13 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bro, I thought you had the mayor on speed dial!

Posted on: 2015/10/9 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So I started this post back in 2006. I was perplexed. My indecision about buying in the neighborhood in early 2005 had been resolved because Whitlock Cordage seemed like such a good project that was anticipated to be completed by late 2005!

Well yesterday I was in Lafayette Park and I noticed that there is a lot of activity at the site. The action all seems centered on the old warehouse in the middle of the project that, I think, had not originally been part of it.

Does anyone else have any information? Can the major's office pipe in?

Posted on: 2015/10/9 14:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/5 18:25
From Pine Street BL JC NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Any updates on this project. I am astounded it can sit vacant for so long.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I live about 4 blocks from Whitlock Cordage and I can say that B-L has way too much low income housing already. It keeps property values down and crime up. I would like to see Whitlock become market rate with residents that add value to the community and who do not suck the life out of it.

Posted on: 2015/4/21 16:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Oneskirt, it says affordable to low income, not affordable and low income. Either way, I believe in mixed income neighborhoods. Concentration of poverty leads to low quality of life in almost every area. That is where a big development of low income housing in an area that's already low income becomes worrisome.

So I do hope it's mixed income to include middle income, we definitely need that.

And, no need to get snippy. I didn't make any judgment statements, just asked a question. You have no idea who I am, what my passions are, and what my knowledge is.

Posted on: 2015/4/21 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
this what happened in boston with rents and rent control

http://dollarsandsense.org/archives/2003/0703meacham.html

Posted on: 2015/4/20 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Mao wrote:
Here's just one article on how rent control and subsidized housing hurts a city.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_36.htm

If I didn?t know that story was published by the Manhattan Institute, I would think it?s odd that the word ?tenant? appeared only once, while ?investment? was used 59 times. Whether I agree with the economics on the ownership side, it can?t be sole focus.
i think the people who write/sponsor the anti-rent control reports tend to be self serving. people say that if you get rid of rent control, then rents will come down ...well, that HAS NOT been the case in boston, has it? the fact is that when you have a place like NYC, London, Paris where "everyone" wants to be, the poor/working class will be displaced if rent control laws did not exist

and those same midle class/upper income people would be up in arms if wealthier folk just started buying their buildings and raising the rent by 10X

Posted on: 2015/4/20 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
Here's just one article on how rent control and subsidized housing hurts a city.

If I didn?t know that story was published by the Manhattan Institute, I would think it?s odd that the word ?tenant? appeared only once, while ?investment? was used 59 times. Whether I agree with the economics on the ownership side, it can?t be sole focus.

Posted on: 2015/4/20 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/4/20 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, we live in a capitalist society and all studies show that subsidized housing (and rent control) just create problems, e.g. suppresses building new units, creates an unhealthy alliance between the government that doles out the units the recipients, the recipients hide their assets and wealth to qualify than often commodify the subsidized unit by subletting it legally or illegally. You know, there was virtually no rent control and no subsidize housing prior to World War II. That means the introduction of there things went hand in hand with the deterioration of American Cities. False Correlation? I don't think so, even though, of course, it was just one of a series of things.

Also, there is also way too much subsidized stuff in Lafayette. Enough already. Some of the subsidized people take care of their houses and yards- too many don't.

Posted on: 2015/4/20 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marullos88 wrote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source ... 35frdXI_czgdrrXLcv5PUq7og

See pdf from the nj hfma in the link.
Apparently the state owns it now and was looking for potential buyers to submit proposals by 3/15/15. It also says it's a low income housing development, with some (about a third) market rate units. Excuse the long url.

Anyone know anything?

No, it doesn't say that. It says on pg. 2 that there will be 330 units. Approximately 132 will be market rate, and 198 units will be AFFORDABLE and low income. Affordable is very different from low income and has a different income threshold (think teachers, PD & FD employees, artists, small business owners, young professionals at entry level white collar salaries - all types of people fit this bracket). And these mixed income projects are exactly what's needed to stop the "ghetto-ization" of low income housing. I think its a great idea. What would you propose? All market rate, so the low income people get pushed somewhere else??

Posted on: 2015/4/19 20:52

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017