Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Police Officer Domenick J. Infantes Jr. - Friday, July 6, 2001
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Please locate the "Enter" key on your keyboard, it is toward the right center. I had to stop reading after the second sentence as I felt a seizure coming on.

You say anonymously on the internet that you received this information second-hand from "a witness".

How is such a statement even remotely reliable?

Quote:
If im not believed look this up on google and yahoo, even though no articles state what I say...

So basically, EVERYONE disputes your version yet we shuld go look it up online and you'll be vindicated in your third-hand knowledge of the incident?

Posted on: 2006/7/10 19:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/16 20:59
Group:
Registered Users
If everyone really wants to know where I had recieved this information it was from a witness that lives on that block that saw the incident unfold. The reason I made this post was the story was one sided, not to discredit Infantes I even said he didnt deserve to be hit like that. Not only did the witness tell me the story this was also made public on the news months after his death and the person that told me the story repeated this to the reporters. Someone stated I couldnt read but if you actually look this up on google or yahoo almost every article has a different story and most of these articles are on police websites. Some articles state there was two pipes used others that it was four feet long. pictures of "the pipe" used showed it was a tool used to raise a basketball rim it was layed next to near where the fight began. The man didnt run to the garage like someone stated it was right there on the floor next to the men. The person that told me what happened also stated there was no crying kids visible like some artiles also state. I dont say anything bad about Infantes himself in my post just people dont like to hear the truth about what happened. This whole thing began with a drunk neighbor that got mad that a firecracker jumped a couple inches onto his property on 4th of July and took it upon himself to curse out kids for something that harmed no one or put anyone at risk then when the childrens family came in defense the man provoked a fight. The Gaminas should have believed that Infantes was a officer and the officer in no way did anything wrong all Im saying is his friend started the incident it just went further then he intended. Most of what was told to the media was statements given by police they just gave oneside of the story. If im not believed look this up on google and yahoo, even though no articles state what I say almost all have different versions(why is it so hard to belive the police didnt want these little details released)

Posted on: 2006/7/10 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
My apologies to Dom's friends & family.

I wasn't the one that turned this into a race issue. I agree. It is not, and shouldn't be turned into one. I was merely responding to repeated generalizations made by this one poster against my "community." I wasn't going to let it slide, just as I wouldn't let any racist comments against other ethnic groups slide.

Anyway, RIP Dom. This time of the year must not be easy for those whom he left behind.

Thanks for cleaning up this thread Dan.
Now only only wish I can edit my other postings, they now seem a bit odd without since the other postings were deleted.

Posted on: 2006/7/9 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote: I do not base my hatred to the Gavina brothers based on race, I do it solely on the fact that they had no regard for human life and were able to run to the garage or the trunk of a car to retrieve a solid steel pipe and bash it over the head of another human being so brutally, that it killed him.

That's pretty much it, isn't it?

Isn't it? It should be.

All this other shite is extraneous and denigrates the sacrifice of Officer Infantes, and the irreparable harm to the community and, more importantly, his family.

It always amazes me how quickly discourse disintegrates amongst the masses of desk jockeys and burger flippers when it comes to second guessing and trashing the work of people who have decided to serve their community in a capacity that puts their lives and their family's entire world at risk just by going to work.

RIP, Officer Infantes, peace to your family, and a way too late thank you.

Posted on: 2006/7/8 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:

I wasn't the one that turned this into a race issue. I agree. It is not, and shouldn't be turned into one. I was merely responding to repeated generalizations made by this one poster against my "community." I wasn't going to let it slide, just as I wouldn't let any racist comments against other ethnic groups slide.

Anyway, RIP Dom. This time of the year must not be easy for those whom he left behind.

JC- No, you did not make this a race issue and it truly saddens me to read some of these postings.
My grandmother who lost her family in the holocaust told us ?that we will be lucky ones, that we will witness tolerance in our lifetime?, I?m glad she died believing it even thou it has yet to happen. I will keep the faith and do and say what I believe is the right thing. And my wish to my nieces, nephews and friends children------ I wish for them what my grandmother wished to me. Maybe just maybe they will be the smarter generation and keep her wish going forever.

Posted on: 2006/7/8 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/7/8 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
This thread is going from bad to worse.

Fact: Dom was a great guy and a great "peace officer"
Fact: His death was and still is a great loss to many of JC residents and also to all the children that he helped on duty and off.

No person on or off this tread should lump any group together, I do not base my hatred to the Gavina brothers based on race, I do it solely on the fact that they had no regard for human life and were able to run to the garage or the trunk of a car to retrieve a solid steel pipe and bash it over the head of another human being so brutally, that it killed him.

IMO-
The Gavina brothers are not worthy to be included in the wonderful Filipino community that is here in Jersey City.

Every situation that is heated no matter what race or religion some people will play the race card to try to prove their innocence or a point and IMO try to steer the whole thing away from the basic facts and make it into a racial issue. This was not about race; it was about two brothers with bad enough tempers that they killed a very kind, passive person. And btw I have witnessed first hand Dominick in his capacity as a police officer, defusing a very heated situation and even during the arrest he treated the actor fairly.

I hope those posting on this tread, sees that even thou the Chil post is totally f-in out of line, the direction this tread is going is wrong and we all be a bit more tolerant and sensitive about making this a race issue.

PS -my jerk face, idiot, spoiled rotten, cute, loveable, nut job, diva dog....... it was Dom who spent 45 mins helping me get her in the building and up the elevator, after she was rescued and released from the animal hospital. I found out after his death that he was a bit fearful of large dogs and I had no clue. I was alone with the dog trying to get her in my building as he drove by in a squad car; he stopped to see if everything was alright because he noticed me struggling. He helped without ever letting on to his fears; I will be forever grateful.

I miss Dom and his friendly smile!!!!!!!!

My prayers are with the Infantes family always.

Posted on: 2006/7/7 23:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/9/11 16:58
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Do you know these people personally? Sounds like you're defending and not grasping all the FACTS in this case. And just what articles are you reading because a lot of what I found (just google it) contradicts what you say.

"When Mr. Infantes tried to break up the argument, the police said, the Gavina brothers attacked, swinging metal pipes. Law enforcement officials said they think that Benjamin beat Officer Infantes, while Alfredo hit the officer's friend, Brian Belka, in the head. Mr. Belka later needed 50 stitches for his wound. A police officer who came to the scene was also injured ."

Hmm.

Maybe you just don't know how to read.

full article here: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage ... 338F93BA35754C0A9679C8B63

Quote:

ChiltownJerz wrote:
Alot of the real story was twisted to make it sound like the officer was attacked. The officer was never in the wrong just walked into a bad situation and thought he was helping his friend from being attacked, but the suspects weren't the cold blooded killers they were made out to be. Infantes didnt deserve to die that way but it wasnt like he was attacked the way that article makes it sound. Infantes friend should go to jail also for provoking the incident that lead to his friends death.

Posted on: 2006/7/7 13:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
"In another testimony, police officer Ilias Voutsas said he saw Benjamin Gavina swinging a four-foot lead pipe into the back of Infantes? head on the driveway of the Gavina home, the Jersey Journal reported."

This action, taken against an outnumbered and unarmed individual, is not consistent with self defence. It is consistent with trying to kill someone.

I guess we will all have to think twice before we say something to someone who parks illegally in handicapped spaces, or throws trash on the ground, or throws fireworks onto your property.

Posted on: 2006/7/7 13:17
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/5 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know if the attackers had any priors?

Posted on: 2006/7/7 9:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Minnie wrote:
The jury was made up of a bunch of numbnuts!

Agreed on that one!
I remember at the time feeling that the jury
should have been charged with a crime.
But his honor the trial judge could have used
his discretionary power to disavow the jury's panty-waist
decision, --but the muther elected not to do so. He's as
much at fault as the twelve peers.

Posted on: 2006/7/7 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ChiltownJerz wrote:
Alot of the real story was twisted to make it sound like the officer was attacked. The officer was never in the wrong just walked into a bad situation and thought he was helping his friend from being attacked, but the suspects weren't the cold blooded killers they were made out to be. It was the kids of one of the suspects playing with fireworks when a drunk friend of infates went over threatened the kids and made some nasty remarks to the kids, the suspects over heard the man yelling at the kids went to defend the kids when they were pushed by the drunk man who said he was a cop, (the men knew the neighbor wasnt a cop) he pushed the suspects a fight began that is when infantes showed up to defend his friend he thought was being attacked. He said he was a officer showed his badge but the two men believed he was lieing also and continued to fight, Infantes and his friend grabbed one of the suspects this is when infantes was hit with a iron tool used to raise basketball rims. He was only hit by one brother and wasnt beaten he was hit because the man thought he was defending his brother from harm. This is why one got off and the other was found guilty of reckless manslaughter. Infantes didnt deserve to die that way but it wasnt like he was attacked the way that article makes it sound. Infantes friend should go to jail also for provoking the incident that lead to his friends death.

Hmmmm, you may want to do a bit more research on the facts of the events and also how hard Dom was hit in the head with that pipe. There are a few people on this board who knew Dom well, so not to upset them I will NOT go into graphic details. The result of the blow to his head was so hard that when I heard the medical description of the crime scene I needed to look up what the term actually was. The force was so powerful that he was BASICALLY BRAIN-DEAD AT THE SCENE. I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT.!
And also btw as you know I post this using my real identity, I choose to do this because people were getting out of control and if I don?t have the guts to post something under my real name I will not post at all, so I say this as Robin Pinkowitz , "ChiltownJerz go to hell!"

Posted on: 2006/7/7 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ChiltownJerz wrote:

Alot of the real story was twisted to make it sound like the officer was attacked. Infantes friend should go to jail also for provoking the incident that lead to his friends death.

Infantes was attending a party at his friends home. His friends neighbors kids were throwing firecrackers into other peoples yards (I had read this in the papers following the murder), and that is why the friend approached the kids... because the parents of the kids that were present at the time the firecrackers were being tossed into other people's yards were not checking their kids behaviour. And so the neighbor scolded them.

Some people have real problems when other people reprimend their children.

I had also read that one of the brothers held Infantes while the other brother whacked him with the pipe, and that the pipe was used several times. Perhaps this was corrected during the trial... but I'm quite certain that is what the Jersey Journal had printed.

I know neither Infantes, his family or the brothers involved in the murder. But I do not agree that a man who scolded some misbehaving kids throwing explosives because their parents were not able to do it should go to jail because the kids parents couldn't control themselves.

And our justice system really sucks sometimes. Yes, it does.

Posted on: 2006/7/6 22:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/16 20:59
Group:
Registered Users
Alot of the real story was twisted to make it sound like the officer was attacked. The officer was never in the wrong just walked into a bad situation and thought he was helping his friend from being attacked, but the suspects weren't the cold blooded killers they were made out to be. It was the kids of one of the suspects playing with fireworks when a drunk friend of infates went over threatened the kids and made some nasty remarks to the kids, the suspects over heard the man yelling at the kids went to defend the kids when they were pushed by the drunk man who said he was a cop, (the men knew the neighbor wasnt a cop) he pushed the suspects a fight began that is when infantes showed up to defend his friend he thought was being attacked. He said he was a officer showed his badge but the two men believed he was lieing also and continued to fight, Infantes and his friend grabbed one of the suspects this is when infantes was hit with a iron tool used to raise basketball rims. He was only hit by one brother and wasnt beaten he was hit because the man thought he was defending his brother from harm. This is why one got off and the other was found guilty of reckless manslaughter. Infantes didnt deserve to die that way but it wasnt like he was attacked the way that article makes it sound. Infantes friend should go to jail also for provoking the incident that lead to his friends death.

Posted on: 2006/7/6 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't know Officer Domenick J. Infantes Jr, but everything I've read about him sounds like he was a wonderful person apart from being a great Police Officer.

It's so sad and tragic what happened to him and from what I read in the papers he was only trying to help break up a fight when these a$$holes set upon him and murdered him.

I hope everyone here continues to memorialize his memory long after this sad event has passed.

My thoughts, prayers and sentiments to all his family and to the East District Officers who knew him as well as to those of the JCPD who hold his memory dear for his service.

Posted on: 2006/7/6 19:26
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
. Thank you so much for posting this, many on this site are new to the area and have no clue what Dom meant to us in Hamilton Park. Dom was our beat cop and a partner to Officer Lou Destafano.
The picture was taken by an H.P. resident Kathy B. at the Hamilton festival approx one month before he was assaulted and less than 3 weeks after he married. That day he brought his new wife to the park and introduced her to all of us.
This man was such a gentle soul and I was never more honored when the prosecutor asked me to speak during the sentencing phase of the trial.
The Judge sentenced the animal to the fullest extent of the law required based on the jury?s decision. I have no clue what that jury was thinking. I will never forget how Hamilton Park along with the rest of Jersey City paid tribute to Dom, during the time of his assault, death, the plaque dedication at the gazebo and most moving was the candle light vigil when the verdict was reached that drew hundreds to the park. Also, I found it amazing that the picture you posted was also lamented and hung for over 3 years on the light pole at the entrance to Hamilton Park. It was put up with push pins and remained untouched till I took it down and gave it to the East district.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and also to all of those in the East District on this day, the 5th anniversary of Doms passing.

Posted on: 2006/7/6 19:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 20:11
From Downtown, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/7/6 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
The jury was made up of a bunch of numbnuts!

Posted on: 2006/7/6 3:16

Police Officer Domenick J. Infantes Jr. - Friday, July 6, 2001
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 20:11
From Downtown, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Patrolman Domenick Infantes succumbed to wounds received when he was severely beaten by two brothers during a confrontation about fireworks on the 4th of July 2001.

Patrolman Infantes was attending a neighborhood party while off duty when the two men began setting off and throwing firecrackers near children. A dispute started between the men and a neighbor, and the neighbor was struck with a pipe.

Patrolman Infantes, who was unarmed at the time, came to the man's aid, displayed his badge, and identified himself as an officer. The two men demanded to see Patrolman Infantes' gun as well because they did not believe he was a police officer. The men then struck him in the head with a 4-foot lead pipe and continued to beat him with pipes until backup units arrived. The pipes that were used had the names of the suspects engraved on them.

Patrolman Infantes was taken to a local hospital where he succumbed to his wounds two days later. The two suspects were charged with murder.

On October 30, 2003 a jury found one suspect not guilty on all charges against him, and found the second suspect not guilty of murder, but guilty of a lesser charge of reckless manslaughter.

Patrolman Infantes had served with the Jersey City Police Department for seven years.

He is survived by his wife, parents, and a brother, who later became a Jersey City Police Officer.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/7/6 1:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017