Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City council repeals chain store restrictions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I actually prefer to shop at chains stores because they have policies not found in independent businesses. I complained about a product I usually buy at Trader Joe today and the store gave me credit. The product was no up to their usual standard. Of course, I do have exceptions, such as old time businesses.

I also prefer it. It is one way that helps me save some money that I can use to pay the increase in RE taxes.

Posted on: 2019/5/11 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I actually prefer to shop at chains stores because they have policies not found in independent businesses. I complained about a product I usually buy at Trader Joe today and the store gave me credit. The product was no up to their usual standard. Of course, I do have exceptions, such as old time businesses.

Posted on: 2019/5/11 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Jersey City council repeals chain store restrictions

Today 4:22 PM (05/09/2019)
By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? The City Council repealed the city?s four-year-old chain store restrictions on Wednesday after city officials told them the rules would not withstand legal scrutiny.

The council voted 7-2 in favor of repeal, with council members Rolando Lavarro and Jermaine Robinson voting against. The two men said the restrictions have helped small businesses.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/05/jers ... n-store-restrictions.html

This was a dumb idea from the get-go and would have been very difficult for landlords to comply. Not that I particularly sympathize for large retail landlords but I think it is up to the customers in a free market to decide what stores go in the large commercial buildings. That 30% rule that didn't make a lot of sense to begin with would have stifled competition and furthermore, while I'm not exactly a fan of big box stores either, would our city leaders rather have empty space in a lot of buildings and fewer jobs? Many people identified this proposed restriction as a "solution in search of a problem" and as it happens, they were right.

You are right. It was a dumb idea from the beginning.

Posted on: 2019/5/11 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
It was anything but a dumb idea. It helped locally owned businesses get a foothold, especially restaurants, and helped a now-flourishing downtown create its own identity. I know people on this board hated it from the start -- and just wanted a Chipotle of their own -- but having the same fast food franchises as every other city in America is not a great thing.

Posted on: 2019/5/10 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

JERSEY CITY ? The City Council repealed the city?s four-year-old chain store restrictions on Wednesday after city officials told them the rules would not withstand legal scrutiny.

The council voted 7-2 in favor of repeal, with council members Rolando Lavarro and Jermaine Robinson voting against. The two men said the restrictions have helped small businesses.

This was a dumb idea from the get-go and would have been very difficult for landlords to comply. Not that I particularly sympathize for large retail landlords but I think it is up to the customers in a free market to decide what stores go in the large commercial buildings. That 30% rule that didn't make a lot of sense to begin with would have stifled competition and furthermore, while I'm not exactly a fan of big box stores either, would our city leaders rather have empty space in a lot of buildings and fewer jobs? Many people identified this proposed restriction as a "solution in search of a problem" and as it happens, they were right.

Posted on: 2019/5/10 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/5/9 21:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017