Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Jersey hospital bills patient $5,751 for ice pack and bandage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't this part of the same group that tried to steal the ambulance contract for Jersey City from JCMC a few years ago?

The assumption was they would steer all their emergency calls to Bayonne, Christ, and Hoboken, where those emergency rooms would rip you off. They also are not "in network" for most major health insurance plans.

Posted on: 2018/5/4 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Before even clicking the link I knew it would be these crooks. I honestly go to NYC over NJ hospitals for an emergency situation after having a similar personal experience.

Just avoid Bayonne, Hoboken and Christ and you'll be OK. They're owned by a "for profit" and this is part of their business plan. No one would go to them for elective surgery or the other things most hospitals profit from. So they basically refuse to be in network for most insurance, and bill whatever they want. They do serve the Medicaid community, and we should be grateful that they're there and not closed as was very close to happening.

Pro tip: I've heard from an insider tha they never send their outrageous bills to collections. Likely because someone would drag them into court and expose their extortion racket.

Posted on: 2018/5/4 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Stringer wrote:

New Jersey hospital bills patient $5,751 for ice pack and bandage

Written by Ayla Ellison (Twitter | Google+)  | May 03, 2018

Jessica Pell went to the emergency room at Hoboken (N.J.) University Medical Center in October 2016 after she fainted and hit her head on a table, cutting her ear. She received an ice pack and a bandage in the ER, for which the hospital billed her $5,751, according to Vox.

Ms. Pell didn't receive a diagnosis in the ER, and she left the hospital when she learned the plastic surgeon available to see her was not in her insurance network.

"I decided to decline treatment because I can't really afford any surprise bills right now," she told Vox. "The bill I'd probably incur would not be worth saving my ear, which was sad but a choice I had to make."

Ms. Pell was shocked when she received a bill for $5,751 from the hospital.

"It's for the ice pack and the bandage," Ms. Pell told Vox. "That is the only tangible thing they could bill me for."

Ms. Pell's insurance plan paid $862 toward the bill, which left her with a balance of $4,989.

Hoboken University Medical Center, part of Jersey City, N.J.-based CarePoint Health, declined to comment to Vox about the bill but said it was reaching out to Ms. Pell "to work on a settlement/resolution to her satisfaction." Ms. Pell told Vox the hospital reversed the entire balance after Vox began asking questions about the hospital's fees, according to the report.

Ms. Pell's bill is one of many submitted to Vox's ER database project.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/ ... ice-pack-and-bandage.html

Before even clicking the link I knew it would be these crooks. I honestly go to NYC over NJ hospitals for an emergency situation after having a similar personal experience.

Posted on: 2018/5/3 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Written by Ayla Ellison (Twitter | Google+)  | May 03, 2018

Jessica Pell went to the emergency room at Hoboken (N.J.) University Medical Center in October 2016 after she fainted and hit her head on a table, cutting her ear. She received an ice pack and a bandage in the ER, for which the hospital billed her $5,751, according to Vox.

Ms. Pell didn't receive a diagnosis in the ER, and she left the hospital when she learned the plastic surgeon available to see her was not in her insurance network.

"I decided to decline treatment because I can't really afford any surprise bills right now," she told Vox. "The bill I'd probably incur would not be worth saving my ear, which was sad but a choice I had to make."

Ms. Pell was shocked when she received a bill for $5,751 from the hospital.

"It's for the ice pack and the bandage," Ms. Pell told Vox. "That is the only tangible thing they could bill me for."

Ms. Pell's insurance plan paid $862 toward the bill, which left her with a balance of $4,989.

Hoboken University Medical Center, part of Jersey City, N.J.-based CarePoint Health, declined to comment to Vox about the bill but said it was reaching out to Ms. Pell "to work on a settlement/resolution to her satisfaction." Ms. Pell told Vox the hospital reversed the entire balance after Vox began asking questions about the hospital's fees, according to the report.

Ms. Pell's bill is one of many submitted to Vox's ER database project.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/ ... ice-pack-and-bandage.html

Posted on: 2018/5/3 17:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017