Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Building collapses
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Tax records show Shuster owns this property.

http://taxes.cityofjerseycity.com/ViewPay?accountNumber=10009

$1,150,000 each, according to proposed assessment - bought in Mar & June 2017 (before or after condemned?).

I walk by this every day and couldn't believe it hadn't been demolished. The cracks on the east side of the building were huge, the center of the building was buckling.

I don't think this is a part of the KRE development coming to Marin between Bay and First. A 38-story tower will go up at the corner of First/Marin.

Posted on: 2018/3/24 0:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Wonder how the property taxes will end up with the reval. They were at $19,833 combined before, and the new number is $34,083. Now that the buildings are gone, will they say the property is worth more or less?

Posted on: 2018/3/23 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:

Exactly. So protect the homes of truly historical value and ban bayonne boxes. All fine. But a blanket demolition ban is ridiculous.

I don't see this standing up in court (yeah! more legal fees paid by us taxpayers!). His XO is sort of a warped eminent domain that deprives the property owner rights to his/her property.

Hey mayor Fulop! Push for an R-5 zoning that allows people like me to build 4 family+ town homes. The Bayonne Box problem will disappear. Bonus: it will also help alleviate the shortage of affordable rental units.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:

Is this EO even legal? What if the building is not historic (or a Bayonne Box), and someone wants to build a really nice home in its place?

Those "Great Old Homes" around me have been run down shit-boxes with no redeeming architectural value.

Granted.. the Bayonne Boxes replacing them aren't much better to look at.

Exactly. So protect the homes of truly historical value and ban bayonne boxes. All fine. But a blanket demolition ban is ridiculous.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:

Is this EO even legal? What if the building is not historic (or a Bayonne Box), and someone wants to build a really nice home in its place?

Those "Great Old Homes" around me have been run down shit-boxes with no redeeming architectural value.

Granted.. the Bayonne Boxes replacing them aren't much better to look at.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Kind of related....

Steven Fulop Twitter 3/23/2018: "For #JerseyCity -I?m signing an exec order 2day stopping JC granting demolition permits on 1-4 family homes unless engineering reports say eminent collapse. Bottom line: we?re losing many of our great/old homes +being replaced w/the architectural marvel known as ?The Bayonne Box?"

Posted on: 2018/3/23 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Kind of related....

Steven Fulop Twitter 3/23/2018: "For #JerseyCity -I?m signing an exec order 2day stopping JC granting demolition permits on 1-4 family homes unless engineering reports say eminent collapse. Bottom line: we?re losing many of our great/old homes +being replaced w/the architectural marvel known as ?The Bayonne Box?"

Posted on: 2018/3/23 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
The building looks to be in a marginal neighborhood, so it's a safe guess as to what will follow.

The area of Bay and Grove streets is a marginal neighborhood? In what universe?? It's literally a half block away from a bunch of new restaurants, some great bars, and two short blocks away from the Grove Street Plaza and the Newark Avenue pedestrian area.

This will shock you, but marginal has more than one definition. From Merriam-Webster:

c (1) : occupying the borderland of a relatively stable territorial or cultural area

The implication of the word, and its use, was clear. And, knowing the posting history of RichMauro (who disparages any progress by labeling it as economic violence) it is more than obvious what he meant. But, more importantly, Bay St is not a borderland of any sort.

I'll wait for Mr. Mauro to weigh in before taking your word for it.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 16:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

The way the redevelopment plan are drawn up for the area, Marin Blvd is a "boundary": development east of it can be high-rises but those immediately to the east of Marin must be limited to 10 stories (unless a variance is granted, as was the case for Oakman and ArtHouse) or the building must have a setback around the 10 story mark, which is why the Morgan structure goes up a few stories and then the rest is set back somewhat. West of Marin Blvd, building height is limited and supposed to go mesh with surrounding buildings. Most likely, you will see a 5-story building replace the one there already. Maybe they can get a variance for something slightly higher with some givebacks. But, you will not see a high rise.

[quote]

Correct, the redevelopment plan only allows for a 5-story structure. I guess the new owner was waiting for it to collapse so he could have it taken down on the City's dime.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
The building looks to be in a marginal neighborhood, so it's a safe guess as to what will follow.

The area of Bay and Grove streets is a marginal neighborhood? In what universe?? It's literally a half block away from a bunch of new restaurants, some great bars, and two short blocks away from the Grove Street Plaza and the Newark Avenue pedestrian area.

This will shock you, but marginal has more than one definition. From Merriam-Webster:

c (1) : occupying the borderland of a relatively stable territorial or cultural area

The implication of the word, and its use, was clear. And, knowing the posting history of RichMauro (who disparages any progress by labeling it as economic violence) it is more than obvious what he meant. But, more importantly, Bay St is not a borderland of any sort.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

Posted on: 2018/3/23 13:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/13 22:07
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

You got one thing right: this is a city and change is inevitable. Those of you who seek to encase it in amber and preserve it as you wish (as if it was your version of it that only matters) are pursuing a fool's errand. Cities will never remain the same. They change, they evolve, they grow, they shrink. The rest of what you say is nonsense: JC is not being annexed by NYC. It is simply growing in popularity by people you seem to dislike (people with more money than you) and you wish you could somehow keep JC as it was 30 or 40 years ago.

Also, could you imagine what rents and property prices would be in this area if they didn't allow higher density? We're talking about a place that is a 15 minute door-to-door commute away from the freaking World Trade Center (and saves the workers 3-4% on their income taxes).

If JC didn't allow higher density, it'd make San Francisco look affordable.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

This is the BEFORE picture of the structure:
https://goo.gl/maps/r7Pdvhm8hXG2

Wow... do a close up (+) of the above 194/196 Bay Street BEFORE picture. Look at the cracks in the bricks and shifting window sills on the left.

I had the same reaction: from the Google Maps street view image (from Sept 2017) it is clear that the building was definitely a disaster waiting to happen. Not at all surprised it was condemned. I hope the city goes after the owners for a refund of the costs associated with the demolition.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:

Quote:

I think that the Google photo that is linked in this thread kind of answers your wonder as to what is going there next. In the background are a number of high rise structures.

The way the redevelopment plan are drawn up for the area, Marin Blvd is a "boundary": development east of it can be high-rises but those immediately to the east of Marin must be limited to 10 stories (unless a variance is granted, as was the case for Oakman and ArtHouse) or the building must have a setback around the 10 story mark, which is why the Morgan structure goes up a few stories and then the rest is set back somewhat. West of Marin Blvd, building height is limited and supposed to go mesh with surrounding buildings. Most likely, you will see a 5-story building replace the one there already. Maybe they can get a variance for something slightly higher with some givebacks. But, you will not see a high rise.

Quote:

A friend of mine down on seventh street is watching the demolition of his neighborhood (near Ziggy's auto body) to make way for multi residential buildings. The one being built next to him was initially limited to five stories, but a deal was worked out and an eight story building is now beginning construction. In addition there are more high rises going up behind him
This is the way of change and money. Jersey City is slowly being annexed by New York City and is slowly becoming its sixth borough.

You got one thing right: this is a city and change is inevitable. Those of you who seek to encase it in amber and preserve it as you wish (as if it was your version of it that only matters) are pursuing a fool's errand. Cities will never remain the same. They change, they evolve, they grow, they shrink. The rest of what you say is nonsense: JC is not being annexed by NYC. It is simply growing in popularity by people you seem to dislike (people with more money than you) and you wish you could somehow keep JC as it was 30 or 40 years ago.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i wonder what goes there next? hopefully, no high rises but you never know with this city.

I think that the Google photo that is linked in this thread kind of answers your wonder as to what is going there next. In the background are a number of high rise structures. The building looks to be in a marginal neighborhood, so it's a safe guess as to what will follow.
A friend of mine down on seventh street is watching the demolition of his neighborhood (near Ziggy's auto body) to make way for multi residential buildings. The one being built next to him was initially limited to five stories, but a deal was worked out and an eight story building is now beginning construction. In addition there are more high rises going up behind him
This is the way of change and money. Jersey City is slowly being annexed by New York City and is slowly becoming its sixth borough.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Wow... do a close up (+) of the above 194/196 Bay Street BEFORE picture. Look at the cracks in the bricks and shifting window sills on the left.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 11:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/19 14:48
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
I could be mistaken but I believe the building was sold to a developer prior to the collapse. I do know it was condemned a while back due to structural issues.

Posted on: 2018/3/23 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dinger wrote:
I looked at this building with a potential buyer and my PE a few years back. It was a leaning tower then but fully occupied. If I recall correctly, this was one of two buildings sharing a common party wall. The owners of the buildings could not get their act together. In any event, at least then, the owner I met was a greedy bastard and the asking price was far too high for the project to make any sense given the height restrictions for the lot and the aforementioned issues with the party wall. Guess it never did sell after all.

How does this work for him now? Is he left holding the bag because of poor maintenance, or has he just saved money on demolition and now collects the insurance?

Posted on: 2018/3/23 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
isn't greed good? doesn't society thrive on greed? the us is not franceQuote:

Dinger wrote:
I looked at this building with a potential buyer and my PE a few years back. It was a leaning tower then but fully occupied. If I recall correctly, this was one of two buildings sharing a common party wall. The owners of the buildings could not get their act together. In any event, at least then, the owner I met was a greedy bastard and the asking price was far too high for the project to make any sense given the height restrictions for the lot and the aforementioned issues with the party wall. Guess it never did sell after all.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 23:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/3/22 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i wonder what goes there next? hopefully, no high rises but you never know with this city.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
A building collapsed in Jersey City as a nor?easter battered the region.

A building collapsed in Jersey City during the fourth nor?easter in recent weeks. PIX11/Ken Evseroff)

No one was injured in the collapse.

The building collapsed in downtown Jersey City Wednesday afternoon, Jersey City Fire Chief of Department Steven McGill said. Its west wall collapsed onto an adjacent structure.

The building, which was residential, had been empty for six to eight months after engineers deemed it an ?imminent hazard,? McGill said. It was supposed to quickly be taken down, but for some reason it never happened.

A private company will demolish the building Wednesday because of the possibility of danger if it collapses further. The street has been closed off while the company handles the demolition.

The area was cordoned off after the collapse. The collapse caused a power outage at homes across the street.

About 4 inches of snow have accumulated in Jersey City.
http://pix11.com/2018/03/21/building-collapses-in-jersey-city/

This was on Bay Street. The JCPD and JCFD response was very impressive: several cruisers, 3 fire trucks, an ambulance or two.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 19:23

Building collapses
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A building collapsed in Jersey City as a nor?easter battered the region.

A building collapsed in Jersey City during the fourth nor?easter in recent weeks. PIX11/Ken Evseroff)

No one was injured in the collapse.

The building collapsed in downtown Jersey City Wednesday afternoon, Jersey City Fire Chief of Department Steven McGill said. Its west wall collapsed onto an adjacent structure.

The building, which was residential, had been empty for six to eight months after engineers deemed it an ?imminent hazard,? McGill said. It was supposed to quickly be taken down, but for some reason it never happened.

A private company will demolish the building Wednesday because of the possibility of danger if it collapses further. The street has been closed off while the company handles the demolition.

The area was cordoned off after the collapse. The collapse caused a power outage at homes across the street.

About 4 inches of snow have accumulated in Jersey City.
http://pix11.com/2018/03/21/building-collapses-in-jersey-city/

Posted on: 2018/3/22 19:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017