Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC MTBrs, where do you ride?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
"Save Space Nugget" - amazing story from british columbia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxP3t4J_7ew

Posted on: 2018/3/10 1:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
On The 3rd - you've probably gone right past this stuff a million times on 9W. Most of the trails are not officially sanctioned - there are local MTB groups working with Bergen County and other stakeholders to change that - so riders usually discover them by word-of-mouth. If you're driving up, the best places to park are the ranger station at the top of the River Road climb, or on the street around Anderson Rd and Ruckman.
More info here:
Trailforks.com

Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
Good info on the trails in Alpine, I ride 9W regularly on my road bike but had never had a chance to venture off the pavement, so I'll definitely be looking further into that.

Posted on: 2018/3/9 3:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
As some already said , Lewis Morris is the closest single track around. Sometimes leave work early on Wed and we start a ride at 6pm there during late spring-early fall. Other good options are Ringwood, Cannonball(if you got the 6"+ bike) Mahlon, Stevens and Allamuchy. There are many more trails and you can find it all on mtbr or mtbnj.com for more info. Staten Island had a short trail that we rode long time ago but not sure about current status.

Posted on: 2018/3/9 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Good info on the trails in Alpine, I ride 9W regularly on my road bike but had never had a chance to venture off the pavement, so I'll definitely be looking further into that.

Posted on: 2018/3/8 23:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 4:29
Group:
Registered Users
If you're willing to commit half a day or so, there are a lot of singletrack options accessible without a car.

The Scout Camp trails in Alpine are about a 20-mile ride from JC. Those are accessed from Ruckman Road, off 9W on the east side, or Piermont Rd on the west.

Six Mile is a 20-minute ride from the NJT station in New Brunswick.

Lewis Morris is about a 30-minute, very nice ride on the Patriots Path from Morristown NJT.

Ringwood is a similar distance from Sloatsburg NJT.

If you're willing to head into Manhattan, excellent trail networks at Sprain Ridge, Graham Hills, and Blue Mountain are all accessible via Metro North.

So, lots of options, but not much you could hit before work or as a lunch-hour ride.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 17:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
If you don't mind spending the time and Amtrak fare, the single track behind Skidmore College is a blast. Check first to see when they open it up after the thaw.

Posted on: 2018/3/7 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
You should pick the brains of the four bicycle shops here in J.C.

Posted on: 2018/3/5 1:14
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Bergen Arches is popular with some of the more adventurous MTB people I know. Plenty of fun to be had in the meadowlands too but I won't give anything out in a public forum.

Posted on: 2018/3/4 5:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Looking for technical challenge or scenery?

I can't speak to the first, but up the waterfront to 9W and into Rockland County is delightful.

There are 3 non-asphalt trails (Raymond G. Esposito Memorial Trail, Old Erie Path and Joseph B. Clark Trail) up there. You will encounter joggers and dog-walkers, but the folks I've run into have been pretty friendly.

They're only a couple miles long but with great views of the Tappan Zee Bridge. The catch is, you have to ride 30 miles to Sparkill to get there, so not really "somewhat" close. But certainly bikeable.

And the really fun downhill on the way there is a really really tough uphill on the way back, even on a road bike. On an MTB, it's granny gear all the way. Still, I try to do it at least a couple times a season.

Go on a Sunday, when the Bergen County blue laws keep the stores closed and traffic on River Road is less murderous.

Posted on: 2018/3/4 2:04

JC MTBrs, where do you ride?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I know that all the decent trails systems like 6 Mile, Allaire, Chimney Rock, etc. aren't that far by car (about an hour or so) but for someone like myself who doesn't have a car, is there any place "somewhat" local to ride? Even if it's just a spot to session for 30 minutes or so. The only spot that I can remotely think of is that tiny little single track section that runs parallel to Freedom Way by the Interpretive Center, which is fun for about 15 minutes. Anything worth checking out within bikeable distance from downtown?

Posted on: 2018/3/3 16:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017