Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New IRS & Jury Duty Phone Scams - HC Sheriff Warning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I am always perplexed by how these scams work so effectively on so many people. NBC News recently had a segment on a variation of this scam in which victims were directed to local Bitcoin ATM machines and instructed to make deposits there. Cryptocurrency transactions can be tracked (particularly Bitcoin, since the blockchain is public) but the identity of the criminals is anonymous, so there is nothing that can be done to claw back that money, or to catch those criminals.

Posted on: 2019/1/11 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
The scammers are out and about again. Please, please, please take a moment to warn your senior neighbors/relatives and folks that you know who may be susceptible to this type of call. The elderly are particularly easy marks.

Link

By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal

The phone rang and the news was shocking.

A Hoboken woman was told she was going to be arrested, but there was a way out. All she had to do was withdraw all the money from her bank account, put it into gift cards and then supply the caller ? who claimed to be representing the Social Security Administration in Texas ? with the codes to transfer the money from the cards.

She followed the instructions and now she?s out $5,900 after realizing that she was never in danger of being arrested and the call was part of scam, Hoboken police said.

The woman was one of two victims who contacted the police department after falling for the same scheme, said Hoboken Lt. Edgardo Cruz, who noted that the department has received calls from residents about several types of scams recently.

Posted on: 2019/1/11 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
By Michaelangelo Conte
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- County officials are warning residents, especially seniors, about telephone scams involving a person posing as a law enforcement officer saying they face arrest if they do not pay immediately.

Hudson County Sheriff Frank Schillari said his office has received complaints from people saying they were contacted by someone claiming to be a police deputy who says they face arrest for failing to report for jury duty or outstanding warrants unless they pay over the phone.

More

I don't think this is said enough: thank you for always being thoughtful and respectful with your posts and by helping spread the word about things like this.

Awww - thank you! I've received these calls and these scammers can be very intimidating. I remember this older man in the Heights got cleaned out by a door-to-door team some years back. It just broke my heart.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
+1

I was called by a dude with a heavy Indian accent telling me he was an FBI agent and that I need to pay using Bluedot, or be arrested.

I told him to go eff himself, and he told me I will be arrested within 2 hours...

I can see how this can be intimidating to seniors.

These scammers make good money - please spread the word!

Posted on: 2017/10/18 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
By Michaelangelo Conte
The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY -- County officials are warning residents, especially seniors, about telephone scams involving a person posing as a law enforcement officer saying they face arrest if they do not pay immediately.

Hudson County Sheriff Frank Schillari said his office has received complaints from people saying they were contacted by someone claiming to be a police deputy who says they face arrest for failing to report for jury duty or outstanding warrants unless they pay over the phone.

More

I don't think this is said enough: thank you for always being thoughtful and respectful with your posts and by helping spread the word about things like this.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 17:23

New IRS & Jury Duty Phone Scams - HC Sheriff Warning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
By Michaelangelo Conte
The Jersey Journal

More

Posted on: 2017/10/18 17:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017