Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Man Fatally Struck by Light Rail in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
CHIRP... CHIRP... CHIRP...

does anyone have an opinion about what the costs will be when the litigation finally ends?

You're really overestimating the appeal of having a discourse that goes nowhere with you or JCman8 on a weekend.

LOL... thank you for taking your time to contribute another typical vapid comment to this discourse.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

does anyone have an opinion about what the costs will be when the litigation finally ends?

You're really overestimating the appeal of having a discourse that goes nowhere with you or JCman8 on a weekend.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Kind of funny that all these people were bashing Yvonne, and then this accident happens and it looks like she was proven right.

Yes... it's only a matter of time before one of her critics blame the crash on her....... or Trump. That is a bad intersection with all the construction.

She can handle herself... I don't agree with some of her comments, but she has a right to say what she wants without enduring the nasty personal attacks.

It just struck me as funny reading this thread how it all went quiet... and there were no comments on the other 3 similar threads. I think we all can agree it was a terrible accident and wish the people injured a speedy recovery.

Why would there be a lawsuit?

Posted on: 2017/5/7 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Kind of funny that all these people were bashing Yvonne, and then this accident happens and it looks like she was proven right.

Yes... it's only a matter of time before one of her critics blame the crash on her....... or Trump. That is a bad intersection with all the construction.

She can handle herself... I don't agree with some of her comments, but she has a right to say what she wants without enduring the nasty personal attacks.

It just struck me as funny reading this thread how it all went quiet... and there were no comments on the other 3 similar threads. I think we all can agree it was a terrible accident and wish the people injured a speedy recovery.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

What was she right about? Please elaborate.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 2017/5/7 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City fire truck struck light rail train: preliminary investigation

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
on May 06, 2017 at 5:50 PM, updated May 06, 2017 at 5:51 PM

JERSEY CITY - A Jersey City fire truck appears to have crashed into the Hudson Bergen Light Rail train in the collision in which four firefighters were injured yesterday.

It appears at this time that the truck struck the train and not vice versa, NJ Transit spokeswoman Lisa Torbic said today of the crash at 7:15 p.m. at Sixth Street near Washington Blvd. She noted, however, that the investigation is ongoing.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... as.html#incart_river_home

Posted on: 2017/5/7 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/5/7 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Another accident involving the lite rail and fire truck.
http://pix11.com/2017/05/05/several-i ... collision-with-firetruck/

Posted on: 2017/5/5 23:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 13:42
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This could have been avoided, when the lite rail route was being planned

There is absolutely no way to design a usable mass transit facility with zero chance of accidents. It cannot be done.

correct. you can however design a relatively safe system. this light rail was designed with criminal gross negligence.

just look at johnston ave grade crossing at lsp. you have north side sidewalk leading right onto tracks, while obstructed by embankment. can you picture kid running right in front of train? bicycle? on top of that there is low overpass with power lines under it. only sign suppose to prevent truck hitting it.

nj transit solution to safety was naming all victims trespassers.
in this case tracks were opened to everybody, so no trespass can exist.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 20:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Our politicians decided commerce not safety took priortiy. They spoke of easy access for shoppers with the lite rail. The lite rail is a commuter train and was not designed for shoppers. Too bad youtube was not around so people today can hear their comments.

Yvonne, do you actually take the light rail? I ride it almost every day and not just to commute. I visit my friends in Greenville, go shopping, get to my gym, go to my doctor's office, attend my classes in Hoboken etc. I also split my time between my place in JC and my boyfriend's place in Bayonne and use the light rail to go back and forth between them as I prefer to not put more cars on the road. It's my main form of transportation.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Our politicians decided commerce not safety took priortiy.

Since the system appears to be very safe, I'd say they wound up making the right choice.

And again! This accident happened in a section that was not going to be elevated to begin with, since it was in an area where there are no streets, and pedestrians are not supposed to have access.

And again, I dare you to find a transit system that is 100% safe.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Our politicians decided commerce not safety took priortiy. They spoke of easy access for shoppers with the lite rail. The lite rail is a commuter train and was not designed for shoppers. Too bad youtube was not around so people today can hear their comments.

I don't use the light rail every day but use it quite often. I don't use it to commute. I use it to go to the Newport Mall, or sometimes to head over to the West Side or Hoboken. Sometimes I'll use it coming back from Shoprite at the Harsimus Cove stop.

I am not going to say that my experience is typical. Certainly there is a lot of commuter traffic during rush hour, but the light rail is for a lot more than that. In terms of where it stops it does a very good job connecting different neighborhoods, not just commuter points.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The light rail is flexible. It runs at street level in some areas, underground in others, on dedicated Right of Way in others, and elevated in others.

The light rail runs at street level mostly downtown, where it would be infeasible or at least extremely expensive to have built an elevated or otherwise cut off right of way.

When it was built, some people questioned the decision to build the MLK stop at grade level. NJ Transit actually filled a right of way to do that. But that was the preference of the local community. Residents felt that a grade level stop would be less prone to crime, and would make it a more visible amenity.

But in this case, that point is moot. The area in question is dedicated right of way. The pedestrian should not have been in that area at all.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

The LIGHT rail is designed for everyone, shoppers included.

A basic understanding of cities shows that elevated rail was detrimental to their livability. Would you like to reconstruct the lines down CC Drive?

Posted on: 2017/4/24 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/24 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, too bad no one listened. There has been many accidents all over JC with cars getting hit. Besides, it is difficult to jump in front of a train if it is elevated.

Those weren't accidents, they were due to driver negligence. How much more do you think an elevated train would have cost?

It would have reflected the price 20+ years ago. These accidents will continue because traffic is always backed up and people are trying to make time.

these aren't "accidents" the are straight up caused by driver negligence. Oh and elevating this train would have tripled costs.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 12:05
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
Were you really a teacher?

Hopefully not an English teacher. Yikes.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Huge second on Dolomiti's comments below.

The one great irony in this whole discussion is that HBLR was ASSURED by the City of JC that the south end of Jersey Avenue would never be opened to vehicular traffic into the park. Now it seems firmly in the plans, and not only will it be traffic crossing the Morris Canal Basin to Jersey Ave., it will be a ton of commuter traffic, all jumping to the exit/entrance just north of the main toll plaza, thinking it will be faster than going to the next exit by Montgomery. The signs there are currently minimal and the biggest issue has been joggers and bicyclists thinking they can "beat the train" and ducking around/under the barrier. Seen a bunch of close calls...

Posted on: 2017/4/24 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This could have been avoided, when the lite rail route was being planned

There is absolutely no way to design a usable mass transit facility with zero chance of accidents. It cannot be done.

If you put the stations above ground, eventually some idiot is going to fall off the platforms, or into the tracks.

And as noted, the costs would have been tremendous. Saying "oh it was 20 years ago" is nonsense on numerous fronts; it wasn't cheap then, and they've expanded it over the years.

Seriously. You'd have to elevate what, 34 miles of tracks and the stations? You do understand that means handicap access at each station? That this delays access? Were we supposed to elevate the stations at the Hoboken Terminal?

And no, there hasn't been a huge rate of accidents on the HBLR. They had what, one auto accident last year?

By the way, the man was apparently on tracks that are not connected to roads. At the moment, it sounds like NJT is correct that he was trespassing. Or do you think they should have elevated a section of the route that has no cars, and where pedestrians have no reason to walk through?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2017/4/23 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
You're so terrible at critical thinking but also so vocal that it's actually kind of fascinating. Are you actually Donald Trump?

Critical thinking? You have narrow streets with lite rail cars on them. There are reported accidents every year. This is not Philadelphia that has wide streets and transit trains and cars share the same space comfortably. It is also compounded by the facts development is happening without parking so more cars cruise the streets looking for available parking. Where is the traffice study done by the city? There hasn't been one since the 1980s. Development is also under a redevelopment plans which eliminates the need for a traffic study. Cities with greater population size has less accidents with cars, people and lite rail.

Then maybe we should bring street cars back to Columbus and Montgomery streets then? Oh wait, something that might improve quality of life and people might find useful can't happen in Yvonne's vision of Jersey City, no siree. The only use of tax dollars should be used to subsidize churches and parking lots while we have a city full of abandoned strip malls and medical offices. Obviously, Jersey City was at its best in 1985.

So I guess, you so call doctor are looking forward to more incidents and dead people from accidents with the lite rail.

Were you really a teacher?

Posted on: 2017/4/23 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
You're so terrible at critical thinking but also so vocal that it's actually kind of fascinating. Are you actually Donald Trump?

Critical thinking? You have narrow streets with lite rail cars on them. There are reported accidents every year. This is not Philadelphia that has wide streets and transit trains and cars share the same space comfortably. It is also compounded by the facts development is happening without parking so more cars cruise the streets looking for available parking. Where is the traffice study done by the city? There hasn't been one since the 1980s. Development is also under a redevelopment plans which eliminates the need for a traffic study. Cities with greater population size has less accidents with cars, people and lite rail.

Then maybe we should bring street cars back to Columbus and Montgomery streets then? Oh wait, something that might improve quality of life and people might find useful can't happen in Yvonne's vision of Jersey City, no siree. The only use of tax dollars should be used to subsidize churches and parking lots while we have a city full of abandoned strip malls and medical offices. Obviously, Jersey City was at its best in 1985.

So I guess, you so call doctor are looking forward to more incidents and dead people from accidents with the lite rail. I am not against the lite rail system. I am against politicians who do projects without thinking things through. As I said before, the lite rail is as slow as molasses. If you live in Greenville and even Bayonne your trip to Exchange Place takes forever because the trains must go slow to deal with traffic. If elevated those same rides would take a fraction of the time.

Posted on: 2017/4/23 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:

Posted on: 2017/4/23 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:

Posted on: 2017/4/23 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/4/23 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There has been enough accidents and some stations have silenced the bells since neighbors complain. If the lite rail was elevated it could go much faster which is one of the complaints about the rail service, it is slow as molasses.

Posted on: 2017/4/23 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

psyop wrote:

For someone who constantly complains about spending either your motives are ingenuine or else you just don't understand reality.

It's Yvonne, which one do you think it is?

Usually it's both...

Posted on: 2017/4/23 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:

For someone who constantly complains about spending either your motives are ingenuine or else you just don't understand reality.

It's Yvonne, which one do you think it is?

Posted on: 2017/4/23 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This could have been avoided, when the lite rail route was being planned, I proposed an elevated route at a public meeting. The former council said, people need to shop and the route should be at ground level.

The cost would have been much greater if they built the whole thing that way. Considering that there haven't been very many accidents it was a good decision to not do this.

Posted on: 2017/4/23 0:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This could have been avoided, when the lite rail route was being planned, I proposed an elevated route at a public meeting. The former council said, people need to shop and the route should be at ground level.

phew, Good thing they didn't listen to you :). It would have ruined the the streetscape permanently. I think new elevated lines are now only built in poorer countries like India and Thailand where they don't care about streetscapes.

Posted on: 2017/4/23 0:41

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017