Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Is Smoke Detector Required by law/ ordinance?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
basement. Naturally I get punished for this, and told even though they're not required, if I DO have them, I need to pay yearly to have them inspected. Like having some idiot look at the dial and say "yup. It's charged."

I was meaning to ask you how things turned out with the tenant that unloaded a world of bullshit on you.

Frankly, if it was me, I would have removed the extinguishers from the building until the problem tenant moved. I would do this with reservations since one tenant of mine did stop a fire with one.

Her boyfriend put a kettle on the stove to make tea. Unfortunately it was one of those kettles that you plug in... not put over flaming natural gas.

At 2 AM hilarity ensued with screaming waking my ass out of bed, smoke setting off the central station monitoring, and the arrival of the fire department. Then scraping off burnt melted plastic off the stove.

I managed to, umm, put out that fire. I did pull the extinguishers and then put them back up. Anything was worth it to get rid of them. I think I posted about "no backsies" for tenants on giving notice. Nice quiet building now. Actually have a vacancy coming up in a huge Heights 2 bedroom if anyone's looking.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 4:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/12 4:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Getting a straight answer about the location of the CO & smoke detectors is not easy.

If I recall correctly, the requirement is a smoke detector outside of every bedroom and a CO detector in every hallway within a house or apartment.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 3:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
As for CO placement... natural gas will set them off via a false positive.

A guy I talked to kept having false alarms. After a while he tracked the issue to the fact that the CO alarm was right next to his Labrador's dog bed. Every time his dog farted the CO detector went off.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
basement. Naturally I get punished for this, and told even though they're not required, if I DO have them, I need to pay yearly to have them inspected. Like having some idiot look at the dial and say "yup. It's charged."

I was meaning to ask you how things turned out with the tenant that unloaded a world of bullshit on you.

Frankly, if it was me, I would have removed the extinguishers from the building until the problem tenant moved. I would do this with reservations since one tenant of mine did stop a fire with one.

Her boyfriend put a kettle on the stove to make tea. Unfortunately it was one of those kettles that you plug in... not put over flaming natural gas.

At 2 AM hilarity ensued with screaming waking my ass out of bed, smoke setting off the central station monitoring, and the arrival of the fire department. Then scraping off burnt melted plastic off the stove.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The NJ state inspectors that come every 5 years require both detectors. I can't imagine how he could escape them. I have been a landlord here for 18 years and have never been told of a extinguisher requirement. Since I'm not an idiot, I put extinguishers on every hallway and 2 in the basement. Naturally I get punished for this, and told even though they're not required, if I DO have them, I need to pay yearly to have them inspected. Like having some idiot look at the dial and say "yup. It's charged."

Getting a straight answer about the location of the CO & smoke detectors is not easy. But they are all noncommittal to the point of evasion when you give them a floor plan and ask directly "where should the detectors go?" I once asked a JCFD inspector about it. At first she said CO did not need to be located in the kitchen, then said maybe it should in case the pilot light went out. I gently pointed out that in that case there is no combustion and therefore no CO. In fact code calls for them to be by the bedrooms. Highly trained professional there.

Posted on: 2015/12/21 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Thanks Jerseymom. I have been provided with a fire extinguisher, which I know my landlord is required to provide to me. I will call the number you suggest tomorrow.

If you cannot get one easily for whatever reason, please PM me with a mailing address and I'll make sure you get one. You shouldn't be a day without a smoke/CO2 detector.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 21:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Jerseymom. I have been provided with a fire extinguisher, which I know my landlord is required to provide to me. I will call the number you suggest tomorrow.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Hello,
Is my landlord susposed to have / supply a smoke and or CO2 detector in my apartment? Neither are in my apartment. I live in a studio apartment, 4 apartments on my floor 9 total apartments. There is a smoke detector in the hall outside my apartment door. Thanks.

Hi Monmouth,

I've been looking around and found a few items. I looked in the muni code for JC, but didn't see anything specific. It seems to be covered by state law for a multi-family unit.

This is what I could see, officially:

New Jersey
N.J. Stat. Ann. ? 52:27D-133.3 to 133.5 ? Carbon monoxide sensor device required for issuance of certificate of occupancy
Requires installation of carbon monoxide detectors in single and two-family homes upon initial occupancy or change of occupancy.

N.J. Stat. Ann. ? 55:13A-7.17 ? Carbon monoxide sensor device required in hotel, multiple dwelling
Requires every unit of dwelling space in a hotel or multiple dwelling be equipped with one or more carbon monoxide sensor devices unless it is determined that no potential carbon monoxide hazard exists for that unit.

Source

N.J.S.A. 55:13A-7.1 EQUIPMENT WITH SMOKE DETECTORS OR ALARMS; RULES AND REGULATIONS

Every hotel and multiple dwelling shall be equipped with smoke detectors or smoke alarms or both in conformance with rules and regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of the Department of Community Affairs. Such rules and regulations shall specify the number, location, specifications, maintenance and periodic testing of smoke detectors and smoke alarms based upon the construction, size and design of such building, and any other rules and regulations which the commissioner considers necessary for the administration of this supplemental act.

Source - Bottom of Page 6 - Top of Page 7

JC Code Should Be as Clear as Montclair's

NJ Code for 1 & 2 Family Structures

If you call these folks and tell them you don't have a fire/CO2 detector, they'll probably give you one for free. You should also have a small fire extinguisher on hand.

465 Marin Boulevard
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-4239
Fax: (201) 547-4398

James Shea, Director

Posted on: 2015/12/20 20:34

Is Smoke Detector Required by law/ ordinance?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,
Is my landlord susposed to have / supply a smoke and or CO2 detector in my apartment? Neither are in my apartment. I live in a studio apartment, 4 apartments on my floor 9 total apartments. There is a smoke detector in the hall outside my apartment door. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/12/20 19:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017