Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
40 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users






IMPORTANT ZONE PERMIT PARKING INFORMATION INSIDE
#27
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/5/4 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 81
Offline
I received my permit renewal form in the mail the other day. You know, for the permit that expired back in February which I've already renewed in person.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/4/18 10:35
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/7/13 11:03
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4406
Offline
Do youse need a reminder to pay your rent ? Too bad the city can't have an automated system paid by credit card. They can check the status as they do parking meters.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 18:05
Get on your bikes and ride !
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3540
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I have said it before: the IT department in JC is shit because they are not willing to pay the necessary salary to attract the right talent. The messy collection of city websites that lack a coherent theme, UI and goal is simply unacceptable for what is the second largest city in the state.


I admit this is not my industry, but isn't the trend to NOT have your own staff or servers, but to outsource to more efficient services who have done what you need many times before? Why reinvent the wheel, though that is certainly the culture here. Even someone as tech savvy as Bloomberg ended up on the rocks when he tried to build a timekeeping system for NYC from scratch.


Not quite. It is definitely a trend to house storage and servers off site (tons of data centers all over the US doing that for clients and customers everywhere) but you still need good managers and staff that can manage your systems. There is a trend of outsourcing low-level IT staff (grunts that can move or swap end user equipment, and help desk personnel) but even that is somewhat limited. At the end of the day, you need a really good IT Director to help set direction and goals and to spearhead the necessary or desirable projects.

The timekeeping boondoggle in NYC is a good example of how NOT to outsource some IT tasks, or to more closely manage those kind of projects.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 18:04
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3540
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
...
Or, God forbid, a website. Our city websites are a joke. Where's the techies targeting web services based on standard templates to small (or not so small in our case) municipalities. Or are they not the types to grease the right palms?


Should link the process to the yearly vehicle registration - and have exceptions handled by walk-ins.


So, you want a municipal peculiarity handled by a state agency? Think about it for a minute. Imagine having to program systems, and train personnel, on the intricacies of programs that are unique to a few municipalities and to somehow stay on top of all new development and whether a given resident is actually entitled to the permit they seek.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 17:59
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3540
Offline
Quote:

jchuman wrote:
I didn't have such luck....I hit the JCPA wall of BS....

4) Even tho they didn't send a renewal notice, I have to prove my address like I'm applying for the first time, refused permit until I bring IDs.



This makes sense to me. Any and all permit holders have to prove their place of residence to ensure they are renewing a permit to which they are STILL legally entitled. Otherwise, imagine the possible abuses: any person that has lived downtown could move to another town and continue to renew a Zone 2 (or 4) permit for life. Or, a person could move from a building lacking parking (which would entitle him to street parking permit) but then move to one that actually has parking, and he would no longer be entitled to his permit.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 17:50
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/16 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3020
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
...
Or, God forbid, a website. Our city websites are a joke. Where's the techies targeting web services based on standard templates to small (or not so small in our case) municipalities. Or are they not the types to grease the right palms?


Should link the process to the yearly vehicle registration - and have exceptions handled by walk-ins.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 17:13
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#21
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2910
Offline
Quote:

jchuman wrote:
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:
Took almost a month after I mailed in my renewal forms (and some minor correction to the address that I've been living at for 7 years where somehow the JCPA spelled it "Jhersey City.") I made a couple of calls to JCPA over the first three weeks and said they had a "huge pile of mail here" and that they wouldn't be ticketing. Sure enough they didn't ticket, and I just received my new permit over the weekend.


I didn't have such luck....I hit the JCPA wall of BS....

1) I didn't receive a renewal notice

2) I got a ticket for invalid parking sticker less than 24hr after the old permit expired .Technically correct but totally dick move since I didn't get a renewal notice.

3) Took time off from work to pay ticket and go to their PA office to get new permit.

4) Even tho they didn't send a renewal notice, I have to prove my address like I'm applying for the first time, refused permit until I bring IDs.

5) I asked for a temporary permit until I return with my IDs so I wouldn't get another ticket for parking in my neighborhood with expired permit. I walked to my car before realizing she gave me AN EXPIRED TEMP PERMIT. Returned to office to get current temp permit. No apology or even acknowledgement of a mistake.

5) Another trip home for IDs and back to their office to get permit.

When asked about the missing renewal notices, the only answer I got was "since JC took over, the computer system been messed up".

Fun and games....fun and games....


Again, and with the disclaimer that I voted for Fulop, this sort of stuff is his job and what he should be focusing on. Making sure the city agencies under his direct command function properly.

Not penning op-eds in every publication that will have him, so he can set forth his opinion on matters like what our foreign policy in Syria should be.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 15:17
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#20
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/4/10 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 10
Offline
Quote:

cuse04 wrote:
Took almost a month after I mailed in my renewal forms (and some minor correction to the address that I've been living at for 7 years where somehow the JCPA spelled it "Jhersey City.") I made a couple of calls to JCPA over the first three weeks and said they had a "huge pile of mail here" and that they wouldn't be ticketing. Sure enough they didn't ticket, and I just received my new permit over the weekend.


I didn't have such luck....I hit the JCPA wall of BS....

1) I didn't receive a renewal notice

2) I got a ticket for invalid parking sticker less than 24hr after the old permit expired .Technically correct but totally dick move since I didn't get a renewal notice.

3) Took time off from work to pay ticket and go to their PA office to get new permit.

4) Even tho they didn't send a renewal notice, I have to prove my address like I'm applying for the first time, refused permit until I bring IDs.

5) I asked for a temporary permit until I return with my IDs so I wouldn't get another ticket for parking in my neighborhood with expired permit. I walked to my car before realizing she gave me AN EXPIRED TEMP PERMIT. Returned to office to get current temp permit. No apology or even acknowledgement of a mistake.

5) Another trip home for IDs and back to their office to get permit.

When asked about the missing renewal notices, the only answer I got was "since JC took over, the computer system been messed up".

Fun and games....fun and games....

Posted on: 2015/10/19 14:50
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#19
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/5/16 14:05
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 50
Offline
Took almost a month after I mailed in my renewal forms (and some minor correction to the address that I've been living at for 7 years where somehow the JCPA spelled it "Jhersey City.") I made a couple of calls to JCPA over the first three weeks and said they had a "huge pile of mail here" and that they wouldn't be ticketing. Sure enough they didn't ticket, and I just received my new permit over the weekend.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 12:43
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5275
Offline
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I have said it before: the IT department in JC is shit because they are not willing to pay the necessary salary to attract the right talent. The messy collection of city websites that lack a coherent theme, UI and goal is simply unacceptable for what is the second largest city in the state.


I admit this is not my industry, but isn't the trend to NOT have your own staff or servers, but to outsource to more efficient services who have done what you need many times before? Why reinvent the wheel, though that is certainly the culture here. Even someone as tech savvy as Bloomberg ended up on the rocks when he tried to build a timekeeping system for NYC from scratch.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 12:17
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3540
Offline
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I don't know how hard it is for someone to print and fill the form from online and make a copy of the registration and license and write a 15 dollar check and walk into the office.. They'll even copy your DL and registration. IF you have everything in order you'll be out in less than 10 mins and I know because I been doing this the last 5 years.


Are you sure you're going to the right place? They don't take checks.


They certainly do. I got my parking permit in January and paid the $15 fee with a personal check.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 23:50
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/12 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3540
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Surely you jest Brewster! Why would they need a parking permit if they don't have a car?

Robin.


Fair nuff. Took my eye off the ball I guess. The time off from work still holds though.


Exactly. It's unacceptable in a modern city to force residents to take time off work to complete a task that easily could be done via phone or mail.


Or, God forbid, a website. Our city websites are a joke. Where's the techies targeting web services based on standard templates to small (or not so small in our case) municipalities. Or are they not the types to grease the right palms?


I have said it before: the IT department in JC is shit because they are not willing to pay the necessary salary to attract the right talent. The messy collection of city websites that lack a coherent theme, UI and goal is simply unacceptable for what is the second largest city in the state.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 23:47
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5275
Offline
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Surely you jest Brewster! Why would they need a parking permit if they don't have a car?

Robin.


Fair nuff. Took my eye off the ball I guess. The time off from work still holds though.


Exactly. It's unacceptable in a modern city to force residents to take time off work to complete a task that easily could be done via phone or mail.


Or, God forbid, a website. Our city websites are a joke. Where's the techies targeting web services based on standard templates to small (or not so small in our case) municipalities. Or are they not the types to grease the right palms?

Posted on: 2015/10/18 22:18
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/9/16 15:15
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 434
Offline
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I don't know how hard it is for someone to print and fill the form from online and make a copy of the registration and license and write a 15 dollar check and walk into the office.. They'll even copy your DL and registration. IF you have everything in order you'll be out in less than 10 mins and I know because I been doing this the last 5 years.


Are you sure you're going to the right place? They don't take checks.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 22:05
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2910
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Surely you jest Brewster! Why would they need a parking permit if they don't have a car?

Robin.


Fair nuff. Took my eye off the ball I guess. The time off from work still holds though.


Exactly. It's unacceptable in a modern city to force residents to take time off work to complete a task that easily could be done via phone or mail.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 16:26
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5275
Offline
Quote:

tern wrote:
Surely you jest Brewster! Why would they need a parking permit if they don't have a car?

Robin.


Fair nuff. Took my eye off the ball I guess. The time off from work still holds though.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 13:12
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/5/10 12:36
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 853
Offline
Surely you jest Brewster! Why would they need a parking permit if they don't have a car?

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 12:37
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5275
Offline
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I don't know how hard it is for someone to print and fill the form from online and make a copy of the registration and license and write a 15 dollar check and walk into the office.. They'll even copy your DL and registration. IF you have everything in order you'll be out in less than 10 mins and I know because I been doing this the last 5 years.


Try hard, and picture needing to take time off from work, and getting there by public transport if you don't live nearby or have a car. From Danforth Ave it could easily be an hour each way.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 12:14
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/6/29 15:45
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 537
Offline
I don't know how hard it is for someone to print and fill the form from online and make a copy of the registration and license and write a 15 dollar check and walk into the office.. They'll even copy your DL and registration. IF you have everything in order you'll be out in less than 10 mins and I know because I been doing this the last 5 years.

Posted on: 2015/10/18 11:48
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#8
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/8/21 20:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 23
Offline
The woman at the office was embarrassed that the city didn't even deem it important enough to alert people that they would not be given notice to renew anymore.

The form can be downloaded on the parking authority site. I called them (and they did answer) and said it might take a while to get one (I was already past deadline) so I went there in person. If you have over a month left- you might be OK. I say give them a call. They were pretty friendly and aware of the pathetic situation that most people were waiting for a renewal alert and did not get one.

Posted on: 2015/10/17 15:53
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/11/10 15:38
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2910
Offline
Not for nothing, but one of Fulop's main campaign promises was he would get on top of the various city agencies to make things easier and make them more responsive. And avoid precisely what everyone is talking about in this thread.

Posted on: 2015/10/17 15:43
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 16:13
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5275
Offline
Quote:

schmearwurst wrote:
When I went there the woman at the office said they had budget cuts and were not going to mail them out anymore....


Yes of course, budget cuts! They raise the fee from $5 to $15, are an agency that should be able to virtually print money giving tickets, yet can't meet their own payroll. No show jobs and overpaying for their building in a sweetheart deal do hurt the bottom line.

Posted on: 2015/10/17 13:41
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/8/27 18:37
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 167
Offline
I didn't get a renewal notice last year and just never bothered to get it renewed since I park at my shop most times. Now that I've moved to a new neighborhood I need to get a new permit though. Is there any way to mail in an application for a permit or do I have to go to the office? It's a real pain going there during the day.

Posted on: 2015/10/17 12:16
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#4
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/8/21 20:00
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 23
Offline
Yes- we did not receive one (renewal notice) either in the mail. We realized it weeks after it expired. I had to go to the office on Central Avenue. But, if you mailed it in- you should have received it by now....Did you send to proper address?
When I went there the woman at the office said they had budget cuts and were not going to mail them out anymore....

Posted on: 2015/10/17 9:00
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#3
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/12/30 9:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 123
Offline
I also mailed my renewal in about 3 weeks ago but have yet to get my new sticker. Have not tried to call. Maybe someone was on vacation?

Posted on: 2015/10/17 8:56
Print Top


Re: Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/16 22:16
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4590
Offline
It would be convenient if they were open one day a week with evening hours. They did that with the RCC unit at City Hall.

Posted on: 2015/10/17 8:56
Print Top


Is anyone else having a problem with parking permits
#1
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/11/7 20:01
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 27
Offline
I have street parked for six years in zone 1. I usually got a renew notice from the parking authority when my sticker was due to be replaced. This year there was no notice. I work in the meadowlands so I leave the city each day and I really can get away with no valid parking sticker since nights and weekends are not enforced. I still want to keep my parking sticker current in case my situation changes.

I sent them a new application three weeks ago with a check for the 15 bucks. The check has not been cashed. I call but cant get in touch with anyone who can help me figure out what is up with my sticker. Why is it so hard to get simple things done in this town?!! I guess I have to actually go the office?

Posted on: 2015/10/16 23:20
Print Top








[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017