Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Spirits of cities and a city's spirit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
jj coments: Quote:
Wow a 2 page spread in the JJ paper edition with pictures. Can any resident of HC/JC write a two page piece and get it published in the JJ for free? I have plenty of good stories from back in the day. Some true and some true urban legend. I still have my ticket stub from when (TV) Batman appeared at the Loews. POW! WHAM! BANG! It is a shame that I can?t remember a thing about all of the concerts I attended at Roosevelt Stadium. (what was the legal drinking age back then.. 15?) Ah Pink Floyd, The Dead, ELP, CSNY, Santana, Eagles, YES, Allman Bros., Doobie Bros., KISS, Marshall Tucker Band, Beach Boys, The Band, Eric Clapton, and Chicago to name a few. (I had to of had a great time with that lineup) I guess I will get my typewriter out and start typing. Wait or do I have to be a washed up political hack who was part of the WORST administration in Jersey City?s history to get something published for free in the JJ?

Quote:
Opa! a two year sabbatical in Greece to walk among the ruins. I walked among the ruins of Jersey City for 9 long years of purgatory while Healy (and Matsikoudis) ran Jersey City..err ..ran Jersey City into the ground. Journal Square was left to rot under Healy (and Matsikoudis). Big development plans were always announced with great fanfare right before each election cycle and then NOTHING until the next election. (I bet Jerry and Bill got a big kick out of pulling the rug out from underneath the Journal Square property owners ha ha) Oh Downtown was booming in the Healy years but Healy even said he had nothing to do with it. I think his quote was ?Downtown is on auto pilot? yeah thanks to previous administrations not Healy?s. The rest of Jersey City sat dormant during the dark Healy years. A real Greek Tragedy.

Gee I wonder if Bill was part of the Greek government while he was over there for those two years. Hmm if so maybe that is why Greece had so many problems for the last two years. (was Healy with him over there?) At least Matsikoudis wasn?t handed a job from HC ruler ?Degise The (not so) Great? like Healy was. Too funny Healy gets voted out of office for doing NOTHING for the JC and he is handed a HC job. What an insult to the taxpayers and voters of JC.

Posted on: 2015/9/18 15:18

Re: Spirits of cities and a city's spirit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting, well-written piece. Is Matsikoudis gearing up for a mayoral run?

Posted on: 2015/9/17 2:28

Spirits of cities and a city's spirit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal

The changing character of my own hometown has always perplexed me as I have had mixed feelings of nostalgia over a disappearing past and excitement about new developments. Physically, Jersey City has changed dramatically, as have most American cities. There are barely any architectural testaments to the city's Dutch past and the gleaming office and luxury housing towers of Downtown have a tendency to shock people who were born and raised in Jersey City decades ago, but who left for the suburbs. However, there are many beautifully maintained brownstones dating back to the 19th century and other landmarks from the 20th Century, like the Landmark Loews Jersey Theatre and old Jersey City Medical Center (where I was born and lived for several years in a condominium) that provide a sense of visual continuity to days past.

Jersey City's complexion continued to change as many Puerto Ricans moved into the urban parts of the New York Metropolitan area in 60s and 70s. The percentage of non-Hispanic whites was about 70 percent when I was born in 1971 and stands at less than 22 percent today. My sisters, who graduated from St. Aloysius Academy in 1972 and 1978 respectively, estimate that less than 10 percent of their graduating high school classes live in Jersey City.

Yet Jersey City's white flight was not quite as extreme as New Jersey's other cities. The block where I lived in western Greenville as a child in the late 70s and early 80s was 100 percent working class white and, typically, largely Irish and Italian, with a solid Polish representation and a smattering of Greeks and Jews. And the street was essentially the same in the mid 90s when I moved back to the same house I lived in as a child to go to law school. But since that time the demographics have changed, as Latinos, Filipinos, Guyanese and Egyptians, to name a few, have planted roots. Out of my many childhood friends from Van Nostrand Avenue, only two of us live in Jersey City, but that was after both of us spent time living out of town. Maybe people felt the same about the disappearance of German culture from the Heights close to a hundred years ago, that used to boast several beer halls and German social clubs.

More

Posted on: 2015/9/16 17:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017