Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Investment group/club/meetup in Jersey City - is there one?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
check meetup.com you'd think they would have what you are looking for.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Those are the FA's I'd like to meet then!!!

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I know of a few FAs that are multi-millionaires, manage their own money, and still enjoy their 9-5 job. Youngers FAs use the job to pay off college debt, buy a house and build their wealth in the first place - like anyone else.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I know of a few FAs that are multi-millionaires, manage their own money, and still enjoy their 9-5 job. Younger FAs use the job to pay off college debt, buy a house and build their wealth in the first place - like anyone else. But your skepticism is both healthy and understandable - it's a good question to ask them if you ever decide to engage one.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@dtjcview - yes, I understand there are mountains of regulations and such, but regulations and rules are one thing, what people actually *know* and do is another thing. My take on this is always this: if these FAs know so much, why aren't they already retired and managing their own money? Why are they still working a 9-5 job?

Posted on: 2015/7/24 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Personally, I'm weary of FA or people of that sort. How do I know they know what they're doing??? Also, sometimes (or most of the time), they have other motives for pushing their clients into certain products / services (e.g. commission, or "company directive", etc).

With selecting an FA, the key question is one of fiduciary duty.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetnova ... ring-a-financial-advisor/

Quote:

Are you always legally bound to act in my best interest?

The answer has to be yes, all of the time. If it is, get it in writing. This is fiduciary duty. It?s a well-established legal principle, backed by decades of precedent. An advisor who acts as your fiduciary knows you can haul her into court or, if you agree, arbitration.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Personally, I'm weary of FA or people of that sort. How do I know they know what they're doing??? Also, sometimes (or most of the time), they have other motives for pushing their clients into certain products / services (e.g. commission, or "company directive", etc).

I rather do the due dilligence myself and put my money where my mouth is. At least if I bet wrong, I can only blame myself for not understanding the topic enough.

As to research - I spent a lot of time reading Seeking alpha and such. The internet is great - all the info is out there. ANd I watch the talking heads on Bloomberg a lot. However, that's what I do every day, and it's very lonely Would be nice to bounce my ideas off someone else from time to time, and hear new ideas from other people too.

In truth, I'd be interested in a group like this. It isn't due to the idea of getting financial advice directly but having an honest discussion about what is out there and what opinions others have.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 13:48
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

I rather do the due dilligence myself and put my money where my mouth is. At least if I bet wrong, I can only blame myself for not understanding the topic enough.

As to research - I spent a lot of time reading Seeking alpha and such. The internet is great - all the info is out there. ANd I watch the talking heads on Bloomberg a lot. However, that's what I do every day, and it's very lonely Would be nice to bounce my ideas off someone else from time to time, and hear new ideas from other people too.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I'd quote Michael Lewis "Those who say don't know, those who know don't say?.

Sites like motleyfool and seekingalpha will give you better investment ideas than random folks from JC. And the best investment advice needs to be tailored to your personal situation. Turbotax is a better source than Starbucks.

Get a good FA if you need one.
dtjcview, you should answer the question which has nothing to do with getting a fa or using seeking alpha or motley fool. I personally do not know of any investing groups.

Posting what you don't know isn't particularly constructive...

Getting a good local FA might be the best way to getting an intro to a local investment club if there are any. But I'd treat such clubs like the local office lottery pool - you're much better off getting professional advice on serious investments and tax planning.
you should answere the question and then offer constructive advice if desired. your opinion is your opinion, and maybe the op knows that finding a good investment club is a crap shot but that really should not be your primary concern.

Thank you for clarifying what the OP had in mind, and what is and isn't my concern. Tool.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Sites like motleyfool and seekingalpha will give you better investment ideas than random folks from JC. And the best investment advice needs to be tailored to your personal situation. Turbotax is a better source than Starbucks.

dtjcview, you should answer the question which has nothing to do with getting a fa or using seeking alpha or motley fool. I personally do not know of any investing groups.

Getting a good local FA might be the best way to getting an intro to a local investment club if there are any. But I'd treat such clubs like the local office lottery pool - you're much better off getting professional advice on serious investments and tax planning.
you should answere the question and then offer constructive advice if desired. your opinion is your opinion, and maybe the op knows that finding a good investment club is a crap shot but that really should not be your primary concern.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/24 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/24 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/24 1:32

Investment group/club/meetup in Jersey City - is there one?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a club/group for investing in Jersey City?

Investing can be a very lonely hobby. Would be nice to chat with, and learn from, others from time to time.

Posted on: 2015/7/24 1:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017