Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Brooklyn Rent to Greenville JC Home; Nervous about recent crime
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The food is okay typical barfood the burger was a bit dry but the fries were good. They really did amazing job on the outdoor space outback it's done with tables and umbrellas and a featured wall. I took some pics but can't post the here. The patio space is completely private from the street. If u stop in Try the Brooklyn ale really fresh and crisp. The music "The Killers" so they are aiming for a slightly demographics that's been painted of BL and GV.

Posted on: 2015/6/8 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Cypress tavern has been closed for some time now but I'm sure you knew that, it's now O'leary public house which I was there today... Great bar btw.

It looks great from the outside - and its another sign the whole area is up-and-coming. How's the food? The wife has curtailed my bar-hopping - so I need an excuse to visit.

Posted on: 2015/6/8 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Cypress tavern has been closed for some time now but I'm sure you knew that, it's now O'leary public house which I was there today... Great bar btw.

Posted on: 2015/6/8 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
FYI the Garfield station is in Bergen Lafayette and the Richard steet station is in Greenville. Also the Richard street station lets you out in the middle of the residential neiborhhod of Bayside Park it's the only station besides a few downtown that you exit the station into a residential area. So you will see your neighbors as you walk home. My advice is never cut through the park after it closes stay on the main streets.

Posted on: 2015/6/8 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Read the thread user1111 started and make your own call:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27197

Or google the LR stations for a history of incidents.

(user1111 - My wife works on Ocean, and I've quite a few friends around there from times misspent at the Cypress Tavern. You are not the only person on this thread who knows the area. LMFAO right back at you).

Posted on: 2015/6/8 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Richard St., Garfield station are two different stations Richard street has a parade of people coming on and off the light rail usually until 1 AM again most of the people on this board have never even been to this area so please do not believe the fear mongering. Join next door we have over 300 people who actually live here that commute daily. I live near the rail and it's always crowded with people, no need for a cab. LMFAO

Posted on: 2015/6/8 1:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/19 18:56
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34338

Timing of this is unfortunate, but it can happen near every light rail and PATH station. If you are travelling late night, I'd recommend you go to Grove and get a cab.

Oh man, do you all consider 10-10:30 p.m. too late to use the light rail? Are people still on it at that time? I'm OK with taking a cab from a Path Station but several times a week adds up.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Or go to Journal Square and get a cab.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34338

Timing of this is unfortunate, but it can happen near every light rail and PATH station. If you are travelling late night, I'd recommend you go to Grove and get a cab.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Best wishes! And don't believe the hype .

Posted on: 2015/6/7 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stuff wrote:
Thank you all for your comments! My concern has eased a bit. But yes, pepper spray and beware of your surroundings; also, we were thinking about putting flood lights around the entrances and getting a dog. I hope this works out, and we will be joining the Bayside NA!

When it's time to get your new pup, do know there are some great rescue/shelter organizations in the area where you can rescue/adopt or even foster a dog in need. JCList has a wonderful community of dog/pet enthusiasts. You can easily start a new thread (or just search the topic) to connect with these kind-hearted and knowledgeable folks. Good luck!

Posted on: 2015/6/7 15:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/18 17:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stuff wrote:
Thank you all for your comments! My concern has eased a bit. But yes, pepper spray and beware of your surroundings; also, we were thinking about putting flood lights around the entrances and getting a dog. I hope this works out, and we will be joining the Bayside NA!

Congrats! I've live here my entire life, and I have never had an issue. My house is between Ocean and the Blvd, and my block is usually quiet and safe and my neighbors are wonderful. I also have a large dog, and I think that is the biggest crime deterrent you can get.

Bayside park is just beautiful, and we had a historic walking tour of Bayside Cemetery yesterday. It was amazingly beautiful.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 14:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Def talk to the neighbors about the area and see what they have to say. What's very important is the route you take to the light rail, if that route is safe then you have a good start.

Spotcrime is not good at all. I know of 4 shootings in my area and only one made it to spotcrime.

When you move in , make friends with your neighbor s. Thanks to mine now I know where to walk ny dog ( which is really the vast majority of the area, it's just good to know the hotspots)

I agree that soon these areas, close to light rail, will become less and less affordable.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You will meet great people in Bayside NA, congratulations.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 16:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/6 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Here is another website on neighborhood crime:
http://www.spotcrime.com/

I 2nd spotcrime, its more accurate than the Jersey Journal. When I was house hunting I used it religiously.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived by the Richard St light rail for 4 years and have had no problems other than a stolen garbage can (didnt know to spray paint address on it). My house payment plus property taxes are much lower than prevailing rent, and i have a driveway and garage.

Generally I think the area east of Ocean is where you would want to live. I look forward to the day useful shops open on Ocean, and maybe that day is close when Mira on the corner of Danforth opens.

We have two neighborhood associations, the South Greenville NA who are incredibly active and well organized, and my group Bayside Park NA. Both groups have accomplished alot and of course welcome more active members.

As far as "news" coverage, the JJ is a rag sheet that focuses on celebrity garbage and sensational "events" They also seem to place any bad events in Greenville as a matter of course when about half of them really took place on Bergen-Lafayette. Like the other commenter advised get some pepper spray and be aware of your surroundings.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
FYI Greenville is huge, it use to be a township. So just because you hear of a shooting in the local paper does not mean its in your back yard. All the shootings that have occurred here is no where near me. Greenville also host a fair amount of cul de sacs I am fortunate to live on one, if you are lucky to find one then only people that will be on your street will be people that live there.

You will not be a pioneer, I thought I was going to be but the Richard and Danforth Lightrail areas have been attracting newbies since 2001.

Richard street is attracting a wide range of people from Egyptians to Hasidics and everything in between. Its a multi culture and divers area.

We just had a meeting with the mayor regarding Ocean ave last Saturday and it is being redeveloped as we speak, so it wont be long before its out of your price range. You can now get a two or three family home on Ocean for less than 300k, but prices are now creeping back up to prices that we seen in 2006.

Also half of the crimes reported by the local paper and people on here who have never step foot in Greenville did not happen in Greenville at all but in Bergen Lafayette.

Rents are a bit lower than Brooklyn a 2 bedroom will range from 950-1800 on Ocean ave depending on the renovations. Rents off of Ocean ave are much higher. Personally I do not find Ocean ave scary, its just unattractive and since they started cleaning it up the scary looking druggies have moved to MLK.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 12:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stuff wrote:
Quote:

Consider the source, but there are some pretty passionate comments about the state of Ocean Ave. and surrounding areas at NJ.com today.

Just read the comments, and it very concerning, especially the comment about so many complaints being filed and no one does anything about it.

We are excited about potentially moving to the area because we think JC has just as much to offer as BK or Queens, and more affordable. Our real estate agent told us to stay away from Ocean Ave. Any other sections of Greenville to avoid?
Thanks all for the links!

It all depends on your tolerance level but the formula is fairly easy the further out you go from DT the more questionable it gets. There are many different sections outside of downtown with pockets of great neighborhoods. Find yourself a good realtor that knows the area, search the many threads here from past prospectors (myself included), walk the areas both day and night time, and you just have to have a gut feeling about the place. You can find the many different neighborhoods in NextDoor. Good luck with your search!!!

Posted on: 2015/6/6 10:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
I salute you for being a pioneer to the area. Each person like yourself moving to an area like that is an improvement, but if I were you I would invest in an easy to use pepper spray device.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stuff wrote:
Any other sections of Greenville to avoid?

I'd suggest avoiding the section between the Boulevard and Ocean, but depends on your risk tolerance. And it's relative - the entire light rail is probably more dangerous than any given area in Greenville.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 2:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Consider the source, but there are some pretty passionate comments about the state of Ocean Ave. and surrounding areas at NJ.com today.

Just read the comments, and it very concerning, especially the comment about so many complaints being filed and no one does anything about it.

We are excited about potentially moving to the area because we think JC has just as much to offer as BK or Queens, and more affordable. Our real estate agent told us to stay away from Ocean Ave. Any other sections of Greenville to avoid?
Thanks all for the links!

Posted on: 2015/6/6 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
ocean avenue is just scary.....there should be a police officer/national guardsperson on every other corner

Posted on: 2015/6/6 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
ocean avenue is just scary.....there should be a police officer/national guardsperson on every other corner

Posted on: 2015/6/6 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/5 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PS: spikes in shootings can be down to factors like those expressed here: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... tys_wave_of_violence.html

And I don't think the area has gotten worse - if anything that section east of Ocean has gotten quieter over the years.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
Are any of you Greenville residents nervous about the spike in crime?

Thirty two new cops joined the police force today, with Mayor Steve Fulop calling the recruits one of the most diverse the city has seen.

The new hires ? 16 Hispanic officers, seven black, six white and three Asian ? are part of a "concerted effort" to recruit officers of color to the city's 816-officer police force, Fulop said today at the City Hall ceremony.

Fulop said a diverse police department will help lead to better communication between the community and police officers.

"It's really important that the department reflects the city," he said. "It's probably going to take a decade to fully correct but we're moving in that direction." He said all the officers will be working in the south and west districts, where much of the city's violence occurs.

Story

Great news - but how many of our cops are retiring this year. What is the true net gain - the real big picture?

After the retirements are in, I believe we are at 816. The best news all these cops will be on the streets, not in cars.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Thirty two new cops joined the police force today, with Mayor Steve Fulop calling the recruits one of the most diverse the city has seen.

The new hires ? 16 Hispanic officers, seven black, six white and three Asian ? are part of a "concerted effort" to recruit officers of color to the city's 816-officer police force, Fulop said today at the City Hall ceremony.

Fulop said a diverse police department will help lead to better communication between the community and police officers.

"It's really important that the department reflects the city," he said. "It's probably going to take a decade to fully correct but we're moving in that direction." He said all the officers will be working in the south and west districts, where much of the city's violence occurs.

Story

Great news - but how many of our cops are retiring this year. What is the true net gain - the real big picture?

Posted on: 2015/6/5 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
http://www.areavibes.com/

Go, put in an address and see for yourself. Don't rely on one person because one person can say anything. I have an uncle twice removed who doesn't think 9/11 happened...

While far from perfect, plug the address into trulia.com - the crime map paints a reasonable picture of the area.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Story

Posted on: 2015/6/5 20:37

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017