Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Rethink the grand plan of Jersey City !
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
JC started, as many 19th century US cities did, as a place for industry, not a social, cultural, or intellectual hub as did so many European cities.

SAY WHAT! Cities were always about markets & commerce, and then when industry grew, about that. "social, cultural, or intellectual" activity was always a vampire on the wealth created by the economic activity. It NEVER pays the bills!

I take it you are not a member of the 'Committee For A More Beautiful Jersey City'...

Posted on: 2015/2/13 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

As for property rights and rates of ownership in Europe, I think you are again misinformed. For most Europeans, home ownership is very, very hard.

I'm referring to the cultural and legal approach to property rights, not home-ownership. Here is a quote from a scholarly article, that sums up significant differences in the US's approach and one European country's "The primary distinction to be understood when using the terms ?property? and ?rights?
through cross-national comparison is this: In the U.S., unfettered ownership of private property ? especially real property ? is the condition that allows the individual to be politically and economically autonomous and thus able to engage in community through the goverment, such that the right to property ownership is a claim against governmental constraint on the use of one?s property. In Europe, in contrast, ownership of private property is conferred by the community (government) through the social contract, such that the right to property is the ability to use one?s land for political and economic engagement within that social arrangement. ...the right to private property in the U.S. places a constraint on community (government), while the social contract of community (government) in Europe places a constraint (social obligation) on the right to private property." file:///H:/DOCS%20TO%20E_MAIL/NB_Plan ... wPropertyRights_IPS14.pdf

In the context of responding to the OP, I stand by my comments - the possibility of a 'grand plan' for JC resulting in a more beautiful city are seriously constrained.

Posted on: 2015/2/13 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I think zoning is the key. ie if you zone HP, VVP and other parks and recreational areas to a height limit it would help - Let the river foreshore be the highrise concrete jungle and limit such developments only between Marin Blvd and the Hudson.

I believe no commercial or retail business should ever be rezoned for housing and in the Marina district around Paulus Hook (bits of land that's left) and at most light rail stops (if possible) there should be space allocated strictly for commercial or services (cafe, food, medical etc originated).

I'd even like to see the odd parking bay in the street be converted to lock bikes with a tree ... Certain areas in JC (especially the newly developed areas lack trees and green space

This would be a cool bike parking rack at a park.
Resized Image

Anyone need a shopping cart !
Resized Image

This one on our street shopping strips.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2015/2/12 22:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

As for property rights and rates of ownership in Europe, I think you are again misinformed. For most Europeans, home ownership is very, very hard. And, often time, not even desirable. It's complicated, but in some countries (Germany, for example) renting is actually encouraged by governmental policies. And, in many other countries, ability to borrow money for a mortgage is very hard. Many European acquaintances of mine marvel at the ease with which you can borrow money in the US for a mortgage. In most cases, in their home countries, you have to be able to put down HUGE down payments that make home ownership a very distant possibility for most young people. I have heard that in some countries you must have on hand at least 50% of the total worth of the property. Compare that with our "traditional" 20% which is now lowered to anywhere from 3% to 20%.

This really varies dramatically country to country based on historical and current policies. Some European countries have the highest home ownership rates in the world, peaking at 96.6% (!!!) in Romania.

It's the German-speaking countries that have low home ownership rates (Germany, Switzerland, Austria). Nearly all of the rest of Europe is around or above the US in home ownership (France and Denmark just below, UK and Netherlands, just above, Italy and Spain way above, most of Eastern Europe stratospheric).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... es_by_home_ownership_rate

Posted on: 2015/2/12 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Glad to see someone is still interested in discussing the original topic. I generally agree with all the points in The Guardian video, but in reference to the five story height limit, it's easy to see that the creators are talking about the ugly impact of skyscrapers in the City of London.

A well developed and carefully planned cluster of skyscrapers has sprung up at Canary Wharf in the past 25 years, a smartly planned and ordered high rise neighborhood has been extremely well executed. I'd say the same for La Defense in Paris.

The problem is that in the past ten years a series of skyscrapers have been built in the historic City of London with little regard to how they complement each other or how they cluster together on the skyline to create a visually pleasing spectacle. Instead, they seem randomly splattered across the Roman street plan and look plainly awful with no kind of continuity or sense of cohesion.

For JC, since the Waterfront has already developed into a high-rise environment, then let it continue to have that quality - albeit with the ground level retail and hidden parking decks that we've talked about on other threads. But keep Van Vorst, Harsimus and Hamilton Park distinctly as they are.

Any London-style dropping of high rises in the midst of what are supposed to be historic districts detracts rather than enhances them. And before someone screams "historic district", the City of London prevented high rise development after one ugly mistake in the early 80s until Tony Blair repealed the height restrictions.

City Hall would just as easily make an exception for a high rise in a protected neighborhood if LeFrak or Silverman threw enough money at them.

Totally agree that they are targeting London's sudden aspiration to become a high rise city. Even Paris is taller than five stories, and they are notoriously strict on construction heights.

Five story high cities do have some advantages. Many European cities in their inner cores top out at this height. Its not a coincidence. Five stories is basically what people can walk regularly without too much hassle. Beyond that and the elevation is something people begin to really feel, even if they do it regularly.

However, five stories is probably a good guideline for the first setback. New York City's best buildings were built during the era of sunshine laws that required setbacks creating the wedding cake style buildings. Most of these have set backs at or about the fifth floor. The set back has the benefit of creating a better relationship between human and building, but also allows for buildings to grow tall. Stand next to the Empire State building or any other high rise from the era, and the building doesn't feel very tall. Stand next to even a shorter high rise that rises straight from the street and it feels very tall. '

Posted on: 2015/2/12 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
What makes a city attractive is its affordability.

Hahaha this is ridiculous. A city may be affordable and attractive, it may be affordable or attractive, but its price has nothing to do with it aesthetics. Attractive cities tend be much less affordable: New York, London, Paris -- these are some of the most beautiful cities on earth and the least affordable places to live. Camden, Detroit, Staten Island -- these are affordable places, but not very attractive.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

JC started, as many 19th century US cities did, as a place for industry, not a social, cultural, or intellectual hub as did so many European cities.

You need to restudy your European history... It's no mistake or coincidence that ALL European capitals (save for a small few) are located on river banks, or have rivers going through them. That's how industry and development (as well as migration and a whole slew of other things) got to them. Without access to rivers or seas, none of those cities would have developed industry and they wouldn't be capitals today. The same goes for many major, non-capital cities in Europe.

Quote:

The US's post WWII determination to build on the car as the dominant mode of transportation put nails in the coffins of many US cities

Actually, what really happened is that the US needed to find a way out of the Depression, and so the interstate highway system was conceived. It was the ultimate government-sponsored bootstrap program: the federal government would pour money (on a matching basis with State funding) and encourage labor participation for all the people out of a job. Of course, it wasn't until after WWII that it all kicked into high gear and actually took shape as we know it today, but the idea and implementation started many years prior. You could even argue that the explosion on car usage is a reflection of the theory that if you build more roads, more cars will materialize. Which is why so many people advocate against additional parking or accommodations for cars, as we have historically seen that car usage and numbers will increase to match this new capacity.

Quote:

Europeans simply don't have the obsession with property rights as Americans do.

As for property rights and rates of ownership in Europe, I think you are again misinformed. For most Europeans, home ownership is very, very hard. And, often time, not even desirable. It's complicated, but in some countries (Germany, for example) renting is actually encouraged by governmental policies. And, in many other countries, ability to borrow money for a mortgage is very hard. Many European acquaintances of mine marvel at the ease with which you can borrow money in the US for a mortgage. In most cases, in their home countries, you have to be able to put down HUGE down payments that make home ownership a very distant possibility for most young people. I have heard that in some countries you must have on hand at least 50% of the total worth of the property. Compare that with our "traditional" 20% which is now lowered to anywhere from 3% to 20%.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I was thinking about your post today driving past the new buildings on 18th @ Jersey, and how they're repeating all the same mistakes. No street level retail, and it doesn't look like it can be converted easily in the future. Just like Newport 30 years ago, no one involved can picture a decade or 2 from now when that redevelopment zone is filled in and is a walkable neighborhood with nowhere to walk to.

I agree that it's a shame that Cast Iron Lofts are neglecting to put in retail and are setting this development up to be another Newport, but realistically, do we think retailers would be interested in moving to this location?

Situated in between the tunnel and the Hoboken tracks, there is no foot traffic back there at all, and I would assume the only business a store would get would be from the building residents and maybe Holland Gardens. If I were opening a store, looking at the wealth of new high-rises shortly to open on Marin, Washington, Hudson and Exchange Place that will probably compete with one another on price to attract retail to their building, opening up shop at 18th @ Jersey would look like a pretty lousy alternative.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

SAY WHAT! Cities were always about markets & commerce, and then when industry grew, about that. "social, cultural, or intellectual" activity was always a vampire on the wealth created by the economic activity. It NEVER pays the bills!

Posted on: 2015/2/12 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for getting this important thread back on topic!

I for one did not find the video useful for any city in the US in general, nor for JC in particular. JC started, as many 19th century US cities did, as a place for industry, not a social, cultural, or intellectual hub as did so many European cities. The US's post WWII determination to build on the car as the dominant mode of transportation put nails in the coffins of many US cities, and Europeans simply don't have the obsession with property rights as Americans do.

IMO, what we need to do is pay attention to what American planners are saying about making cities more livable - this can be simple steps http://matadornetwork.com/life/3-ways-make-city-livable-right-now/ or entail a long term, more involved planning effort http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2 ... -make-cities-more-livable

Does JC even have a plan, let alone a "grand plan"? From my perch in the Heights, I wouldn't think so. Except for a handful of new arrivals (often from NYC) it seems to me the vast majority of Heights residents have no desire or need for bike lanes, street trees, a diverse and vibrant street life. And it's not like the Heights isn't, in it's own way, beautiful. There is a wonderful scale, picturesque parks, a smattering of old buildings that evoke the Height's light industrial heritage. But there is not the urban vibe you get in the cities people visit and remember as being "beautiful" or "livable", and I wonder if without that undercurrent of desire for it, it can be planned at all.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Since I only discuss mental health with the voices in my head, I'd like to go back to that video. Is it really more than a bunch of Brits cleverly stating their opinions and ideas and telling us that they are actually ours? We know that Paris's wide boulevards were built to subdue riots and as a byproduct created the see and be seen promenades for flaneurs. Had Haussmann had elevators and the plumbing technology we have today, would he have stopped at 5 or 6 stories? How comfortable is American culture with a high level of governmental design oversite? How many of the 5 rules are really geared to visiting a place rather than living in a place? Yes, walking down a narrow street with balconies nearly touching is quaint and charming, but would you want to live on such a street?

Glad to see someone is still interested in discussing the original topic. I generally agree with all the points in The Guardian video, but in reference to the five story height limit, it's easy to see that the creators are talking about the ugly impact of skyscrapers in the City of London.

A well developed and carefully planned cluster of skyscrapers has sprung up at Canary Wharf in the past 25 years, a smartly planned and ordered high rise neighborhood has been extremely well executed. I'd say the same for La Defense in Paris.

The problem is that in the past ten years a series of skyscrapers have been built in the historic City of London with little regard to how they complement each other or how they cluster together on the skyline to create a visually pleasing spectacle. Instead, they seem randomly splattered across the Roman street plan and look plainly awful with no kind of continuity or sense of cohesion.

For JC, since the Waterfront has already developed into a high-rise environment, then let it continue to have that quality - albeit with the ground level retail and hidden parking decks that we've talked about on other threads. But keep Van Vorst, Harsimus and Hamilton Park distinctly as they are.

Any London-style dropping of high rises in the midst of what are supposed to be historic districts detracts rather than enhances them. And before someone screams "historic district", the City of London prevented high rise development after one ugly mistake in the early 80s until Tony Blair repealed the height restrictions.

City Hall would just as easily make an exception for a high rise in a protected neighborhood if LeFrak or Silverman threw enough money at them.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

The section of Greenville I am in the only public transportation we have is the light rail the bus service on Garfield was canceled years ago. The light rail is excellent but it does not got to all parts of the city. Like Journal Square/ The Heights (the parts I visit) . When I go dtjc these days I take the light rail or Uber due to the parking.

Right and I do the same. If it's too far to walk somewhere, I'll Uber or Light Rail. However, I don't see a solution as being adding more lots.

If the Light Rail is close and you are headed to the Heights, it may not be the most direct or even the quickest, but the Heights has access to the Hoboken station. It is an option.

I would love to see more mass transit options for yourself, but it isn't going to come when people are bemoaning a lack of parking spots.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 16:44
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Since I only discuss mental health with the voices in my head, I'd like to go back to that video. Is it really more than a bunch of Brits cleverly stating their opinions and ideas and telling us that they are actually ours? We know that Paris's wide boulevards were built to subdue riots and as a byproduct created the see and be seen promenades for flaneurs. Had Haussmann had elevators and the plumbing technology we have today, would he have stopped at 5 or 6 stories? How comfortable is American culture with a high level of governmental design oversite? How many of the 5 rules are really geared to visiting a place rather than living in a place? Yes, walking down a narrow street with balconies nearly touching is quaint and charming, but would you want to live on such a street?

Posted on: 2015/2/12 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Pebble wrote:

I understand that there is a convenience factor involved in getting in your car and driving home. However, the more that people utilize public transit the more that it will be forced to expand.

The section of Greenville I am in the only public transportation we have is the light rail the bus service on Garfield was canceled years ago. The light rail is excellent but it does not got to all parts of the city. Like Journal Square/ The Heights (the parts I visit) . When I go dtjc these days I take the light rail or Uber due to the parking.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

You are not seriously stating that it takes 20 minutes to find a parking spot in DTJC, are you? Perhaps it can take you a while to find a FREE parking spot. But, on the next paragraph you mention parking lots in NYC and paying daily for parking across from your office. Surely you realize that DTJC has a TON of parking lots where you can do the same. Most of those lots are half empty on any given day.

It can be harder to find free parking in JC than paid parking in NY, sometimes.

That makes perfect sense! Why should it be easier to find free parking than parking that you have to pay for?

Posted on: 2015/2/12 16:07
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
"It is easier to park in NYC compared to JC."

lol. Yvonne, when you have to make blatantly false statements to make your point, you should probably abandon that point and try a different tactic instead, as you usually do.

I am not sure how Yvonne meant this, but I also find it easier to park in NYC there are parking garages everywhere even in the boroughs. Jersey City lacks this, when I am in the Heights, Astor Place Neighborhood, DTJC it can take about 20 min to find a parking space.

In NYC if you can not find a space there are parking lots and garages to accommodate you through out the city. The only area in Jersey City within a neighborhood that offers this is Journal Square so when we go there we can park for five bucks and enjoy some Indian food or Morgan's Fish without parking anxieties. I use to drive into the LES daily and paid for parking across from my office.

Ok, I?m going to have to pause you for this one. If you are taking 20 minutes to find a spot in Bergen Hill, there is something wrong or you?re blind. I have never had a problem and that includes the piling of snow all over.

I don?t head over to the Heights all that much so I can?t comment on the parking there, but if you?re willing to pay for parking, would you just be better off paying for a bus or cab? The same goes for Journal Square.

I understand that there is a convenience factor involved in getting in your car and driving home. However, the more that people utilize public transit the more that it will be forced to expand.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I know people who had to change doctors, physicians they knew for years because they practiced in downtown JC. One is a retired public official who I still keep in contact. He had to change doctors. While he still lives in JC, he goes to Bayonne for shopping and medical care. This is a person with long roots in JC especially downtown.

Things change. That doctor will one day retire. Do you think that your friend should be able to force that doctor to remain working because they like going there? What would happen if that doctor was in a car accident and died? Just because you had something before doesn?t mean it gets to stick around forever. Arguing otherwise just makes you look foolish.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 16:07
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

You are not seriously stating that it takes 20 minutes to find a parking spot in DTJC, are you? Perhaps it can take you a while to find a FREE parking spot. But, on the next paragraph you mention parking lots in NYC and paying daily for parking across from your office. Surely you realize that DTJC has a TON of parking lots where you can do the same. Most of those lots are half empty on any given day.

It can be harder to find free parking in JC than paid parking in NY, sometimes.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

lol. Yvonne, when you have to make blatantly false statements to make your point, you should probably abandon that point and try a different tactic instead, as you usually do.

I am not sure how Yvonne meant this, but I also find it easier to park in NYC there are parking garages everywhere even in the boroughs. Jersey City lacks this, when I am in the Heights, Astor Place Neighborhood, DTJC it can take about 20 min to find a parking space.

In NYC if you can not find a space there are parking lots and garages to accommodate you through out the city. The only area in Jersey City within a neighborhood that offers this is Journal Square so when we go there we can park for five bucks and enjoy some Indian food or Morgan's Fish without parking anxieties. I use to drive into the LES daily and paid for parking across from my office.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I know people who had to change doctors, physicians they knew for years because they practiced in downtown JC. One is a retired public official who I still keep in contact. He had to change doctors. While he still lives in JC, he goes to Bayonne for shopping and medical care. This is a person with long roots in JC especially downtown.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Crazy Yvonne is in the thread! Crazy Yvonne is in the thread! YES!

I love how the doctor's office on Newark is the reason the contrarian, anti-change old-timers oppose turning it into a pedestrian walkway (oh and the 12 parking spots! the horror!).

What I ask the crazy lady and her cohorts- is Dr. Chinai the ONLY DOCTOR in Jersey City? Are there literally no other doctors so all elderly/handicapped/disabled must go to Dr Ronak Chinai? Oh please. I've been to the clinic he runs. And also, there is an entrance on Columbus where your loved cars still rule the road. So there IS a place for this doctor's office to have people dropped off.

Good day everyone! Silver lining- the crazies will soon be too overwhelmed with dementia to use a computer.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/12 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I agree that we should cap heights at 5 stories, but really, get rid of parking? Today, on the news, a man killed 3 people over parking. What makes a city attractive is its affordability. JC has a long way to go in that department.

Except that the family of the deceased claims it is a hate crime and not over parking. I?d suggest using a different example...

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
As for someone not seeing a doctor because of parking is ludacris - Alternatives can be public transport or better still a little sidewalk electric commuter vehicle!

Let's be honest. There isn't a single person on this planet not going to a doctor's appointment because of lack of parking. It's the ultimate BS argument spouted by the absurd.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The idea people should get rid of parking is discrimination against the handicapped, elderly, and young families with children.

Your argument always boils down to the absurd suburban notion that the limiting factor to a city's density should be its parking! Tell that to any of the great cities of the world, NY, Tokyo, Paris, London.

You just don't like cities. That's your right, but stop trying to make JC fit your ideas of low density. Your "golden years" in the past decades have probably been JC's lowest density in over century, and it's rising again. It's Jersey C-I-T-Y!

I do not know if Paris, Tokyo, and London have laws on accessibility for the handicapped, but we do. As far as NYC, it is easier to park in NYC compared to JC because there are parking in lots in many areas. If you choose not to own a car, great, but don't impose your lifestyle on others.
As the former president of the Van Vorst Park Association, I fought hard for the city to apply for grants to make the "handicapped curves" at the corner. It took a lot of work, life became easier for people in wheelchairs and mothers with carriages. As a city we must accommodate all people. This new plan shuts part of the community. And be careful, you don't know if tomorrow you are handicapped in some way in which walking is difficult.

Your post should have ended after ?I don?t know?. I am unsure if you are aware, but there are elderly people in New York City. There are, in fact, elderly people in Paris and Tokyo as well. There are handicapped people there!

Posted on: 2015/2/12 14:32
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Not every handicapped or elderly person qualify for those medical devices because they do not have the coordination to operate them. People with Parkinson, MS and other disorders should not operate these vehicles. Neither does it address the families with children or the blind. Their families members drive them to doctors and other appointments. Also these vehicles should not be operated in poor weather. Access should be open to the public including parking in a free society. During this cold weather, there are people who cannot walk on the ice/snow and shop. Their lifeline is their car.

You're an expert as highlighting issues based on one or two people (most likely just your own) but useless at solutions ;
This will help https://plus.google.com/106131724058934050692/about?hl=en

So you found a doctor who makes house calls, is he an eye or ear doctor, or someone who specialized in certain diseases? One doctor for thousands of people. Hudson County, really JC, has one of the highest concentration of seniors in the US. Now that you have discovered JC, I guess your next plan is to kick the senior and handicapped people out of the city because that is the only way your plan will work.

You are a very 'special' person Yvonne that just loves to provoke sensationalism. I have empathy for people who have to deal with you on a daily basis and your husband should be given some sort of award.

First, you attack, then you try kindness (sort of) just let the seniors and handicapped people know when they should leave JC. I am sure you will have a bus ready for them.

You are mental Yvonne, where have I said I was throwing out our seniors or disabled ... you seriously need to take those pills prescribed to you every day and not when you feel like it - Get a responsible person to remind you!

Posted on: 2015/2/12 5:56
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Not every handicapped or elderly person qualify for those medical devices because they do not have the coordination to operate them. People with Parkinson, MS and other disorders should not operate these vehicles. Neither does it address the families with children or the blind. Their families members drive them to doctors and other appointments. Also these vehicles should not be operated in poor weather. Access should be open to the public including parking in a free society. During this cold weather, there are people who cannot walk on the ice/snow and shop. Their lifeline is their car.

You're an expert as highlighting issues based on one or two people (most likely just your own) but useless at solutions ;

So you found a doctor who makes house calls, is he an eye or ear doctor, or someone who specialized in certain diseases? One doctor for thousands of people. Hudson County, really JC, has one of the highest concentration of seniors in the US. Now that you have discovered JC, I guess your next plan is to kick the senior and handicapped people out of the city because that is the only way your plan will work.

You are a very 'special' person Yvonne that just loves to provoke sensationalism. I have empathy for people who have to deal with you on a daily basis and your husband should be given some sort of award.

First, you attack, then you try kindness (sort of) just let the seniors and handicapped people know when they should leave JC. I am sure you will have a bus ready for them.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/12 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/12 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
it's adorable that you think there's a plan, let alone a grand one.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/12 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The idea people should get rid of parking is discrimination against the handicapped, elderly, and young families with children.

Your argument always boils down to the absurd suburban notion that the limiting factor to a city's density should be its parking! Tell that to any of the great cities of the world, NY, Tokyo, Paris, London.

You just don't like cities. That's your right, but stop trying to make JC fit your ideas of low density. Your "golden years" in the past decades have probably been JC's lowest density in over century, and it's rising again. It's Jersey C-I-T-Y!

I do not know if Paris, Tokyo, and London have laws on accessibility for the handicapped, but we do. As far as NYC, it is easier to park in NYC compared to JC because there are parking in lots in many areas. If you choose not to own a car, great, but don't impose your lifestyle on others.
As the former president of the Van Vorst Park Association, I fought hard for the city to apply for grants to make the "handicapped curves" at the corner. It took a lot of work, life became easier for people in wheelchairs and mothers with carriages. As a city we must accommodate all people. This new plan shuts part of the community. And be careful, you don't know if tomorrow you are handicapped in some way in which walking is difficult.

Posted on: 2015/2/12 2:23

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017